PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley is a poor mans Zion Williamson

scuzzy
02-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Lakers bigs head hunted that morbidly obese bust rookie Zion and somehow he still feasted (29, 6, 3)

Don't think i've seen AD look so helpless all season than he did last night, looked terrified to even score on the other end. Kept going to the bench to treat bumps n bruises (21 pts, 6-21 fg)

This guy Zion is becoming a problem much sooner than expected.... Well tbh, some (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?460754-Zion-Williamson-Fam-GET-IN-HERE!) expected it

21yo rookie Barkley: 14 pts, 8 reb, 1 ast, on 54%, 16%3p, 28mpg

19yo rookie Zion: 24 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, on 57%fg, 41%3p, 27mpg

Fun Fact: Chuck didn't summit 24ppg until he turned 24yo @ 40mpg

and for the lulz

https://i.ibb.co/ncbdYZ1/ZION.png (https://ibb.co/Wy68Mqz)
https://media.giphy.com/media/AavB3fp8TMsIU/giphy.gif

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 10:00 AM
Charles Barkley is a youtube clip to you.

scuzzy
02-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Yeah, can't lie back in 86 my parents didn't have the black box with 1000 channels to catch Philly games. And well, ofc since league pass didn't exist

Like most people it consisted of WGN spamming Bulls, a rare local Cavs broadcast and the couple few nationally broadcasted weekly's (Bulls games)

Love being able to point and click now on any old game and revisit, seamlessly.

Gotterdammerung
02-26-2020, 11:48 AM
Charles Barkley was overweight as a rookie, and came off the bench for a veteran team that won the title the year prior.

Once Barkley shed the extra weight, and the Sixers built around him, he became the unstoppable Round Mound of Rebound.

The funny thing about Zion is that while he is a very good inside scorer, and has an athletic edge over most opposing bigs, he just doesn't rebound well.

:durantunimpressed:

FireDavidKahn
02-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Zion is part of the LeBron Fam:bowdown:

hiphopanonymous
02-26-2020, 12:38 PM
They don't play the same in my opinion. They might look similar or bully similarly going after rebounds or rising for a block I think but their practiced moves and polish look different.

I think it's because Zion actually has a different set of tools and as he admitted he is not emulating anyone. He's what I'd imagine you'd get if you put Michael Jordan's fast-twitch muscle fiber and central nervous system (for balance) into a frame identical in shape to Wes Unseld. That's not the exact recipe Barkley was, Barkley was his own thing and he had a different skillset as a result.

Barkley at his peak in the very early 90's was at one point a top two player in the NBA - Probably only MJ was better in the very early 90's. Zion could get a status like this but only time will tell, he has already proved he's got incredible potential. He bullies everyone he plays against with zero exceptions. He looks like a man among boys capable of easily overpowering all players in the league if he gets room for a one-step jump (which he frequently makes room for with his quickness).

tontoz
02-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Barkley went to an established team. They went to the ECF in his rookie year.

Even though they are built similarly their games are pretty different. Zion is much more of an off ball player, which I like. He roams the baseline looking to get backdoors to the rim or to open up passing lanes. When he does get the ball he does something quickly.

Barkley was more ball dominant. He would post up and when he got the ball he would survey the defense and then decide what to do. He was pretty deliberate but he was so dominant and made such good decisions that being a ball stopper wasn't a problem.

Barkley was far better on the defensive glass. He averaged 7.6 defensive rebounds for his career per 36 minutes. Zion is averaging only 4.7 which is unacceptable.

Lebron23
02-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Zion reminded me of Larry Johnson when he played for the Hornets

Wally450
02-26-2020, 01:27 PM
I said that Zion was going to be Kenneth Faried. :facepalm

I'm outing myself before someone else does it. :lol

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Zion doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Barkley. This shouldn't even remotely be a discussion until he's nearing the end of his second contract. Barkley was challenging Jordan for best player in the league for a time. Zion isn't close to that yet.

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 02:19 PM
Even though they are built similarly their games are pretty different. Zion is much more of an off ball player, which I like. He roams the baseline looking to get backdoors to the rim or to open up passing lanes. When he does get the ball he does something quickly.

That's going to make him both very hard to guard but also very easy to surround with quality players in the long-run. It takes a special talent to anchor an offense off-ball.

scuzzy
02-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Zion doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Barkley. This shouldn't even remotely be a discussion until he's nearing the end of his second contract. Barkley was challenging Jordan for best player in the league for a time. Zion isn't close to that yet.
Won't have to wait long to match Barkley's hardware collection, Mailman's either.

One thing is absolute, within the next 24 months Zion evolves into a superstar he'll still be younger than Barkley was the day of 84 draft

It doesn't take rocket science to guesstimate Shaq, Lebron, Zions projection early on in their career. The only thing to stunt his HOF trajectory is injury. If Zion plays the rest of his career (say 15 years) the same way he's done in pre-season and the past month, he'd be a automatic 1st ballot lock 100%

tontoz
02-26-2020, 02:49 PM
That's going to make him both very hard to guard but also very easy to surround with quality players in the long-run. It takes a special talent to anchor an offense off-ball.

I agree. I think guys who can play off the ball have more value than most people realize.

When Zion catches the ball he drives quickly/shoots quickly/passes quickly. He rarely holds the ball or dribbles in place.

90sgoat
02-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Why do all you idiots respond to Simon?

Do you enjoy that cawksucker polluting the forum?

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 03:25 PM
I agree. I think guys who can play off the ball have more value than most people realize.

When Zion catches the ball he drives quickly/shoots quickly/passes quickly. He rarely holds the ball or dribbles in place.

I don't know if the stat is still accurate, but a week or so ago Zion either scored or rebounded 79% of the time he touched the ball. Over 3/4 of his touches result in 'something' happening that's good for the team. And by quick-striking as he does the defense then has to react to him instead of vice versa, constantly in a state of scramble.

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Zion's size is a problem. Larger bodies require more energy and tire more easily. On top of that he doesnt have great length/height and requires explosive athleticism to make up for it. Again needing lots of energy. I think he will have difficulty sustaining the effort needed to dominate over the course of full seasons and long playoff runs. People will call him a choker, but the issue will most likely be that he physically can't sustain the effort needed to be effective.

On top of that, he may well be plagued by injuries his whole career. He certainly has tons of potential, but the are big question Mark's too.

AussieSteve
02-26-2020, 05:45 PM
If you thought that Barkley was the best player in the world c.1990-91 you were not alone. Plenty did until Jordan proved beyond doubt that he was in the 91 playoffs.

You don't win MVP over prime Magic and prime Jordan, and then again over prime Hakeem and Jordan without being all-time great.

Round Mound
02-26-2020, 06:10 PM
If you thought that Barkley was the best player in the world c.1990-91 you were not alone. Plenty did until Jordan proved beyond doubt that he was in the 91 playoffs.

You don't win MVP over prime Magic and prime Jordan, and then again over prime Hakeem and Jordan without being all-time great.

Poor mans Zion Williamson? Barkley's prime and peak was one of the greatest ever next to Hakeem and Jordan from mid 80s to mid 90s the 3 best players. Zion has the athleticism over Barkley but lets also remember that Chuck was a great athlete aswell; i mean to move at 6'4 5/8 ft and 290-300 in college is unreal. As the years passed he lost weight and developed skills. He is a better versatile scorer, rebounder, post player, long range shooter, higher IQ and passer than Zion. Zion could be better defensively because he is quicker footed side ways and a bit taller (6'4 5/8 ft to 6´6 1/2 ft) but for now everything else goes to Chuck but the last mentioned. Charles was also more agressive and meaner when the game was way more physical back then. Zion has the potential but its too early to compare.

Mr.GOAT2408
02-26-2020, 07:33 PM
I'm going to refrain from discussing Zion vs Barkley but Zion is looking special for sure, sky is the limit special

Hard to root against him, his game needs a ton of refining but for a 19 year old he's shown enough poise to convince me that he'll fix them over time

Hoping for a long, very productive career

superduper
02-26-2020, 07:45 PM
He is special athletically but he needs to really work on his game. He looked lost in crunch time and unwilling to try to dominate the game, mostly because he's just not refined enough right now.

HoopologyPhD
02-26-2020, 07:55 PM
Hopefully Zion has more success in the playoffs, it isn't good for the league and fans when the best players aren't playing in the post season.

Jasper
02-26-2020, 08:18 PM

well done !!

scuzzy
02-21-2021, 09:49 PM
:confusedshrug:

WolfGang
02-21-2021, 10:54 PM
Jordan & Barkley played in the weakest era. Zion is the new GIANT of the NBA.

tontoz
02-21-2021, 11:04 PM
I like Zion but a giant would average more than 7 rebounds a game.

Stanley Kobrick
02-22-2021, 05:04 PM
He is special athletically but he needs to really work on his game. He looked lost in crunch time and unwilling to try to dominate the game, mostly because he's just not refined enough right now.
what ever happened to this user

LoneyROY7
02-22-2021, 05:11 PM
Zion needs to board more, but he has a level of quickness and agility Barkley could only dream about.

Axe
02-22-2021, 09:08 PM
what ever happened to this user
Also missing are:

34-24 Footwork
ClippersRevival
HoopsNY
ImKobe
STATUTORY

tpols
02-22-2021, 09:12 PM
How are you going to be that burly and average only 7 boards a game? Chuck used to grab double that in an era where there were stronger rebounders. He's a different level of tough and motor.

Airupthere
02-22-2021, 09:13 PM
Zion has the potential to be greater. He is physically more of a monster. But the mental aspect of it is what makes CB great. Zion has to prove himself first before we draw conclusions.

light
02-22-2021, 09:46 PM
Zion has the potential to be greater. He is physically more of a monster. But the mental aspect of it is what makes CB great. Zion has to prove himself first before we draw conclusions.

I think Chuck would kill Zion in a fight though - speaking of who is more of a physical monster. It's not just about ability but it's also about will.

scuzzy
02-22-2021, 09:54 PM
How are you going to be that burly and average only 7 boards a game? Chuck used to grab double that in an era where there were stronger rebounders. He's a different level of tough and motor.
21yo Barkley - 14, 8, 2 on 54%

20yo Zion - 25, 7, 2 on 61%

Being a drunk bar brawler doesn't = tough. Mentally unstable Chuck got picked on and had a quick temper. No one dares messing with Zion.

tpols
02-22-2021, 09:55 PM
21yo Barkley - 14, 8, 2 on 54%

20yo Zion - 25, 7, 2 on 61%

Being a drunk bar brawler doesn't = tough. Chuck got picked on and had a quick temper. No one dares messing with Zion.

:roll:

We still bros.

scuzzy
02-22-2021, 10:08 PM
:roll:

We still bros.
Barkley was always catching drunk assault charges, getting in bar fights with opposing fans at away games. Everyone knows that friend who gets beer muscles and always causes a scene. They aren't tough or sharp, most suffering PTSD childhood bullying (little man syndrome)

@2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCpFDONd24k

TAZORAC
03-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Williamson hasn't reached his prime yet, Barkley in his prime was a better jump shooter then Williamson is now

3ball
03-23-2021, 04:22 PM
Barkley is a far superior contested shot-maker from all over the court because it was required in the no-spacing environment

Otoh, Zion isn't a skilled shot-maker because he doesn't have to be - he just needs to be fast like a running back, so he can hit the spaced-out gaps quickly enough to get the open layups

Today's game is a joke and the players are NOT good at basketball, nor are they even playing basketball... Open threes and layups (drive-and-kick, rinse repeat) is more of a technique than a sport