PDA

View Full Version : Pop has spent millions of his own money on team dinners.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 04:14 PM
While much of his team's success can be, of course, credited to hard work and practice. But ESPN reports (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty) that there's something else that's helped the team come together: Popovich's love of food and wine.
Each year, the coach, who is known as a wine connoisseur, spends an estimated seven figures on team dinners at some of the best restaurants across the U.S. In addition to paying for everyone's food, Popovich drops thousands of dollars on some of the finest wines on the menu and then leaves a hefty tip for the staff that served the team.

"He's patronized the finest restaurants, spent millions of dollars, left countless four-figure tips, turned himself into a first-order oenophile," writes Baxter Holmes at ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty). "He's forged fast friendships with the nation's premier gourmands. And all to a singular purpose. As one source close to Popovich says, 'It's a passion for him, but it's also a tool.'"
One restaurant owner who has served Popovich several times tells ESPN that the coach will often leave a $10,000 tip on a "nothing meal," order bottles of wine for the kitchen staff and "leave a thick wad of cash and ask that it be delivered directly to said staff."
"He's spent more on wine and dinners than my whole [NBA] salary," former NBA coach Don Nelson said

Millions sounds high but when you think about it....a whole roster and coaching staff in high end places while also tipping like that? It’s not made up. You can find people who post his dinner checks online showing how generous he is....

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2002270137570100.jpeg

I.....think I support it. There’s always “better” things to do with your money but it’s not like he isn’t also charitable. Why be great and get rich if you can’t enjoy it and share it with your friends and coworkers?

That said....if I’m him?

Maybe make guys earn that status. Rookies eat 2 for 20 at Applebee’s.

rawimpact
02-26-2020, 05:59 PM
Before people say he did it for a tax write off, he would have spent 5k to save at most 1.8k in taxes. So sure, it has a tax benefit but it's not advantageous at all financially.

brooks_thompson
02-27-2020, 01:47 AM
McEwen's is an excellent restaurant. We walked in one night when Pop was there, and he really was a larger than life dude. Entertaining, wildly gesticulating as he was telling stories, and charming the staff. He and the assistant coaches (I assume) were having a grand time.

iamgine
02-27-2020, 01:59 AM
Is that over the years? I guess millions (assumingly at least $2M) makes sense if he's been doing this for lets say 15 years. $2M in 15 years are only $130K a year. That's only like 10K a month on average.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-27-2020, 02:06 AM
Maybe he shouldve spent some time actually coaching this season

Gatorade Sax
02-27-2020, 03:53 AM

:facepalm His wife just died, and he’s faced with coaching the like of Lamarcus Aldridge and DeMar Derozan..id have a few nice dinners here and there too. We all know his passion dwindled after building up Kawhi, then losing him..his wife etc...he’s cruising at the end of this contract, and he can do whatever he wants tbh.

ImKobe
02-27-2020, 05:19 AM

He has a roster that's built to win in the early 2000s. Not enough shooting to go around and LMA as a rim protector just doesn't work. Surprising their defense is this bad because offensively they're actually good enough to be an above-.500 team with them turning the ball over the least and having an above-average ORTG, but the defense is dogshit, whether you look at defending the paint or the 3PT line.

Kblaze8855
02-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Is that over the years? I guess millions (assumingly at least $2M) makes sense if he's been doing this for lets say 15 years. $2M in 15 years are only $130K a year. That's only like 10K a month on average.

It could easily be way more than that. Hes out here tipping 10K at times and they do these dinners all the time.

Hes the second highest paid coach in America after Bill on the patriots. He makes 11 million a year and food and wine is his passion.

He once spent 20K on wine alone on top of a huge food bill for the team, left what was described as a "pile" of cash for the staff, a bunch of spurs tickets and then bought several more bottles of wine for thousands of dollars...for the staff to share after they left. Guy just doesnt give a shit.

Loco 50
02-27-2020, 06:52 AM
That said....if I’m him?

Maybe make guys earn that status. Rookies eat 2 for 20 at Applebee’s.
Give a rookie a taste maybe it makes him hungry for more.

Also, Pop likes to teach so no doubt he appreciates the time spent getting to know them better. Smarter guys tend to hang around the team longer despite being inferior to other's skills-wise. Helps him figure out what motivates and makes his team click.

Coincidentally, the team is really low i.q. despite having decent skills now which kinda explains everyone's frustration with the team.

Real Men Wear Green
02-27-2020, 08:22 AM
Most expensive places I go to may have one $50 meal and it's not often. 14 years ago the boss took us to this place in Miami with hundred dollar plates and I felt too embarrassed to order, ended up just getting a ridiculously overpriced bowl of cereal (a coworker picked the place not the boss). Of course I' not a millionaire.

Kblaze8855
02-27-2020, 09:04 AM
Never had a steak at a nice place that was 50+ with sides and wine and all?

I think 120 for two people is a pretty reasonable dinner in like a date scenario.

Real Men Wear Green
02-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Never had a steak at a nice place that was 50+ with sides and wine and all?

I think 120 for two people is a pretty reasonable dinner in like a date scenario.The 50 didn't include the cost of a drink but I don't normally get wine in those situations. My wife has never been into expensive meals fortunately.

sd3035
02-27-2020, 09:31 AM
Good for him. he earned his money, he can do whatever he wants with it

He's rewarding people for a job well done at the finest restaurants

EllEffEll
02-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Pop's public persona is a bit of a mixed bag for me. No doubt leaving a $5k tip (on top of paying for the meal) is a generous act any way you slice it it. OTOH, slapping someone at dinner because he slipped up and mentioned something basketball related when you're at a table with nothing but basketball people isn't a scene I'd like to be a part of. YMMV.

https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-gregg-popovich-would-slap-his-players-if-happens-former-spurs-forward-says-2923517

warriorfan
02-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Pop sounds like a sociopath who does random acts of kindness every once in awhile to try and prove to himself he’s not a bad person.

MrFonzworth
02-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Wasn't there stories of Pop having weird relationships with kids a while back? Is this compensation?

Proctor
02-27-2020, 09:13 PM
Pop sounds like a sociopath who does random acts of kindness every once in awhile to try and prove to himself he’s not a bad person.

:roll: This

regnortSkcaB
02-27-2020, 09:14 PM
5k tip. Nice.

Horatio33
02-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Pop's public persona is a bit of a mixed bag for me. No doubt leaving a $5k tip (on top of paying for the meal) is a generous act any way you slice it it. OTOH, slapping someone at dinner because he slipped up and mentioned something basketball related when you're at a table with nothing but basketball people isn't a scene I'd like to be a part of. YMMV.

https://www.ibtimes.com/nba-gregg-popovich-would-slap-his-players-if-happens-former-spurs-forward-says-2923517

I doubt its a hard slap, something more playful. If you read the article Bertans says he would go back to the meals if invited. If Pop was dishing out hard backslaps i doubt people would want to return to his meals.