PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan's Bank Shot

Lebron23
02-27-2020, 02:38 AM
That's money in the bank. Just like Jordan's fadeaway. It's one of the most effective shots in basketball history.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-27-2020, 02:39 AM
No where close to MJ fade, Dirk fade, Dream shake, Kareem skyhook etc.

It was a damn good shot but he missed plenty of times and didnt use it as a staple as much as those guys. He maybe scored 2-3 baskets off it per game in his prime

ronniec
02-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Very very efficient.

ralph_i_el
02-27-2020, 11:29 AM
No where close to MJ fade, Dirk fade, Dream shake, Kareem skyhook etc.

It was a damn good shot but he missed plenty of times and didnt use it as a staple as much as those guys. He maybe scored 2-3 baskets off it per game in his prime

Dirk wasn't using his fadeaway that much either. Just like Duncan's shot, the threat of it set up other parts of their games. Duncan's faceup game was made possible by his bank shot, so every time he faced-up and drove, or drew a double, it was partly due to his bank shot.

Gotterdammerung
02-27-2020, 11:44 AM
The Bank shot was less of an unstoppable weapon like those of other greats, and more of just one of many tools Duncan had at his disposal. However, this was notable only because the bank shot itself became a lost art during Duncan's era. Likely due to the macho mindset from the playground where bankshots weren't considered legitimate - unless you called it out before the ball hit the glass.

Horatio33
02-27-2020, 11:51 AM
I bet if you check the tapes Kareem was only shooting the skyhook 5 or 6 times a game and MJ didn't really start using the fade away until 95-96. Its not like the players with signature shots were shooting them 25 times a game.

dirkdiggler41
02-27-2020, 12:17 PM
I remember JVG calling it out. The commentators were talking about like it was a golden shot and JVG basically told them the stats showed it was his worst shot Duncan could take and that is why defenders wanted him to shoot it. It was basically very overrated.

Mr Feeny
02-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Wade had a great bank shot in the mid-late 2000's as well.

Psileas
02-27-2020, 12:42 PM
I bet if you check the tapes Kareem was only shooting the skyhook 5 or 6 times a game and MJ didn't really start using the fade away until 95-96. Its not like the players with signature shots were shooting them 25 times a game.

This is true, plus, when it comes to mid-range shooting, which most "signature shots were" it's relative to use the term "unstoppable", when even elite mid range shooting rarely gets near or more than 50% efficiency. Kareem's skyhook was as unstoppable as it gets, and I still doubt it brought Kareem's overall FG% up.
Having said this, I don't see Duncan's bank shot as a really unique/signature type of shot, since many all-time greats used to often use the glass in past decades.

tpols
02-27-2020, 02:25 PM
Wade had a great bank shot in the mid-late 2000's as well.

Jason kidd used to use the bank shot as well. it works really well for guys who dont have a great natural regular jumper.

Mr Feeny
02-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Jason kidd used to use the bank shot as well. it works really well for guys who dont have a great natural regular jumper.

True. Kidd had an aesthetically pleasing one as well. Quite a few of them during the 2003 finals.

32jazz
02-27-2020, 06:52 PM
I bet if you check the tapes Kareem was only shooting the skyhook 5 or 6 times a game.... Its not like the players with signature shots were shooting them 25 times a game.

Kareem basically shot nothing , but shyhooks( other than a dunk/lay up ). You're the one who needs to check the tapes on Kareem . He looked weird the very few times I saw him take a face up jumper . .

Outside of dunks / tip ins I would say 80% or more of Kareem shots were Skyhooks. I'm being conservative . Probably more like 90% or more skyhooks.

Gotterdammerung
02-27-2020, 07:57 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/890/695/bd5.gif