PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Baseball Playoff Changes and Possible Application in NBA

MaxPlayer
03-02-2020, 12:28 PM
So, a couple of weeks ago, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred floated a proposal for major changes to the sport's playoff structure. It got mixed reception, but one part that really interested me is that, basically instead of automatically pitting the top seed against the bottom seed, the top seed would get to choose its first round opponent.

I feel like something like this could be great in the NBA. It would provide a greater reward to the higher seed, as they would potentially be able to avoid matchups with any dangerous 7/8 seeds. It would also be a great made-for-TV event. Have a rep from the top 3 seeds in each conference hold a "draft" of first round opponents. It would create some great narratives around themes of disrespect, ducking, etc.

Anyway, I feel like the playoffs is one of the least broken parts of the NBA currently, so maybe not necessary to mess with, but part of me is really intrigued by this idea.

Phoenix
03-02-2020, 12:39 PM
I would think the top seed most of the time is going to pick the 8th seed anyway, so not sure how much of a tangible difference that makes. I mean if you're the Lakers as the top seed, who are you picking for your first round opponent if not Memphis? it doesn't get any easier going up the line.

If anything, I think they need to introduce first round byes for the top seed and go from 8 seeds to 7. THEN the top seed can pick their 2nd round opponent. It would actually encourage teams at the top to put more emphasize on the regular season, while improving the quality at the bottom and not having our time wasted by 40-42 teams with no shot at a title. The main argument against it would be one less matchup in the first round which means less revenue, but competitively I think it would improve things. The players don't give a fukk about the regular season and just waiting for the playoffs to start.

MaxPlayer
03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
If anything, I think they need to introduce first round byes for the top seed and go from 8 seeds to 7. THEN the top seed can pick their 2nd round opponent. It would actually encourage teams at the top to put more emphasize on the regular season, while improving the quality at the bottom and not having our time wasted by 40-42 teams with no shot at a title. The main argument against it would be one less matchup in the first round which means less revenue, but competitively I think it would improve things. The players don't give a fukk about the regular season and just waiting for the playoffs to start.

Yeah I definitely agree that any solution should focus on remedying the current meaninglessness of the regular season. And you're right that byes probably wouldn't fly because you don't want your best teams sitting at home.

Maybe give a greater home-court advantage to the higher seed like a format HHAHHAH, or even maybe let the highest seeds host an entire series.

Pushxx
03-02-2020, 05:14 PM
The NBA would be stupid to change the playoff format, especially in favor of anything MLB does lmao

The Wild Card Playoff game ruined baseball for me and I immediately stopped watching.

SouBeachTalents
03-02-2020, 05:36 PM
Maybe give a greater home-court advantage to the higher seed like a format HHAHHAH, or even maybe let the highest seeds host an entire series.
You mean for every playoff series? If so, absolutely AWFUL idea lol

bigkingsfan
03-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Imagine if the Clippers had injuries going into the playoffs and they pick them instead.

Levity
03-02-2020, 06:21 PM
sounds like some XFL shit.

FKAri
03-02-2020, 11:35 PM
I like this particular idea but I must say...

Why am I seeing increasingly radical proposals every year to the sport? Are their focus groups telling them that the 3pt chucking combined with no perimeter defense is starting to piss people off? Are these commissioners panicking that esports is capturing the millennial market more and more by the day? Are they short on profit? Is basketball a dieing game? Is Zion going to have to go door to door like a girl scout begging for sponsorship money so he can continue to play the sport he loves?

iamgine
03-03-2020, 11:26 AM
On the surface it seems like an interesting idea but I feel like this won't be a good change:

- Since now the top teams can pick the best matchup, it leads to even earlier exits and sweeps.

- If the 2nd best team has some short term injuries to its best players, the top team might pick them in the beginning rather than facing them at full strength later, robbing us of watching them face each other at full strength later on.

Wally450
03-03-2020, 11:40 AM
I think the only change the NBA needs to make is putting the first round back to 5 games.

SouBeachTalents
03-03-2020, 11:54 AM
I think the only change the NBA needs to make is putting the first round back to 5 games.
For real, but sadly they'll never do it due to the loss of revenue. But back in that format, the underdog felt like it had a legitimate chance. Hell, steal one of the first two road games, there was a great chance we'd be looking at a winner take all Game 5. Now, shit barely makes a difference. Way too difficult for a 7/8 seed to beat a top seed 4 times.

Phoenix
03-03-2020, 12:59 PM
I like this particular idea but I must say...

Why am I seeing increasingly radical proposals every year to the sport? Are their focus groups telling them that the 3pt chucking combined with no perimeter defense is starting to piss people off?

This comes off as 'old man shouting in the clouds' but I've always felt there was a beauty in inside-out, post play and being able to create plays in the mid-range that's gotten lost in today's '3's or layups' analytics era. It's impossible to say things like that without coming off as 'my era is better' but there it is.

FKAri
03-03-2020, 02:26 PM
This comes off as 'old man shouting in the clouds' but I've always felt there was a beauty in inside-out, post play and being able to create plays in the mid-range that's gotten lost in today's '3's or layups' analytics era. It's impossible to say things like that without coming off as 'my era is better' but there it is.

I agree but it is not due to any fault of the players, teams or analytics for this. They've figured out a better way to play basketball. It's up to the league to set the rules of the game such that it results in an entertaining contest. That being said a lot of these changes have nothing to do with that. These are instead changes in regards to the ASG, playoffs, reviewable plays, a mid season tournament or even the draft. They're looking at everything BUT the rules of the game.

Phoenix
03-03-2020, 02:45 PM
I agree but it is not due to any fault of the players, teams or analytics for this. They've figured out a better way to play basketball. It's up to the league to set the rules of the game such that it results in an entertaining contest. That being said a lot of these changes have nothing to do with that. These are instead changes in regards to the ASG, playoffs, reviewable plays, a mid season tournament or even the draft. They're looking at everything BUT the rules of the game.

Better in terms of what may technically be the most efficient shot but it's adversely impacted the end product. I agree that alot of these proposed changes are either needless or best case superfluous ( and like you said, unrelated to the actual on-court product), but I don't know how they 'recenter' the game so to speak from a rules standpoint that feels organic.

Facepalm
03-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Only changes I want to see are teams getting punished for load managing healthy players and bottom 2 teams get sent to the NBADL for 1 year. This prevents tanking and gives even the worst teams something to play for

FKAri
03-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Better in terms of what may technically be the most efficient shot but it's adversely impacted the end product. I agree that alot of these proposed changes are either needless or best case superfluous ( and like you said, unrelated to the actual on-court product), but I don't know how they 'recenter' the game so to speak from a rules standpoint that feels organic.

And when Microsoft had a monopoly it also adversely impacted the end product by forcing us all to use Internet Explorer but Microsoft didn't give a ****. It's not the job of players and teams to be thinking about "the end product". That's the job of the league.

Jasper
03-03-2020, 08:19 PM
I think the first race should be in Jan/Feb

Oop's thats racing - forget it