PDA

View Full Version : Giannis is basically a 90’s player

AirBonner
03-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Plays just like a typical player from that era and LeBron absolutely dominated him. I have seen enough. LeBron would have multiple 40ppg seasons in the 90’s

FireDavidKahn
03-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Giannis thinking he has the MVP locked up:

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1236294624584650752

That grunt after the first attempt:roll:

Phoenix
03-07-2020, 01:29 PM
A 90's player is the reigning MVP and on pace to break the PER record? Interesting.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2020, 01:40 PM
A 90's player is the reigning MVP and on pace to break the PER record? Interesting.

Stupid troll thread backfire

tontoz
03-07-2020, 02:07 PM
There was nobody like Giannis in the 90s. i can't think of a player from any era that was like Giannis.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2020, 02:55 PM
There was nobody like Giannis in the 90s. i can't think of a player from any era that was like Giannis.
Also true.

keep-itreal
03-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Agreed. Can't shoot, no post up moves, no footwork, no skill. Just your typical 90's player

90sgoat
03-07-2020, 03:55 PM

David Robinson and he was MUCH better than Giannis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1i8K-u0yFo

tontoz
03-07-2020, 04:40 PM
David Robinson and he was MUCH better than Giannis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1i8K-u0yFo

They weren't similar players. Robinson rarely brought the ball across half court and attacked the rim which Giannis does all the time.

His ball handling wasnt as good and he took a lot of jumpers. His jumper was pretty good but to me it seemed like he settled for jumpers too often. Giannis attacks relentlessly.

Great athlete though and probably even better on D.

If i could have one or the other it would be tough to choose but remember that Robinson was 24 as a rookie. Giannis is 24 now.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2020, 05:13 PM
If Robinson was coming up today he would be a lot like Giannis but because of the way 7footers were used then he played center exclusively.

tontoz
03-07-2020, 05:22 PM
If Robinson was coming up today he would be a lot like Giannis but because of the way 7footers were used then he played center exclusively.

DRob played outside a lot and took a lot of jumpers even then. Maybe he would have extended his range to shoot 3s but i don't think his ball handling was good enough to be the primary ball handler. He would still be a center now for sure.

I dont think Giannis gets enough credit for his ball handling. Being able to get to the rim consistently through traffic without turning it over requires good handles.

I would love to have DRob now though. Defensively he would be that rare guy, or maybe only guy, who can be an elite shot blocker that can also defend wings effectively on switches.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2020, 05:25 PM
DRob played outside a lot and took a lot of jumpers even then. Maybe he would have extended his range to shoot 3s but i don't think his ball handling was good enough to be the primary ball handler. He would still be a center now for sure.

I dont think Giannis gets enough credit for his ball handling. Being able to get to the rim consistently through traffic without turning it over requires good handles.

I would love to have DRob now though. Defensively he would be that rare guy, or maybe only guy, who can be an elite shot blocker that can also defend wings effectively on switches.

I'm thinking that Robinson would have worked more on his handle. A product of his time, Robinson wouldn't have seen the upside of advanced driving skills for a big. For similar reasons he may well have developed his range further.

Axe
03-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Could it be that giannis is a faster player than robinson, despite his slightly heavier but shorter frame?

Phoenix
03-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Admiral is a reasonable comparison in terms of size/build/ athleticism. Coming along in 2020 he wouldn't be the same player as he was in 1990, same for Giannis. He wouldn't be the same player you see now in 1990 either.

tontoz
03-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Could it be that giannis is a faster player than robinson, despite his slightly heavier but shorter frame?

I would say DRob was faster. In a full court sprint i would bet heavily on DRob. I don't think it would be close.

DRob was a late bloomer who didn't play a lot of bball when he was young relative to today's players. He went to college at Navy lol.

If he came up now maybe he would have been a better ball handler but i can't just assume that. I have seen a lot of guys extend their shooting range to shoot 3s but improving ball handling seems to be a bit tougher. Robinson played in the NBA a long time and got the ball frequently on the perimeter but didn't show much craftiness off the dribble. I remember him as a guy who dribbled with his head down in a straight line.

Real Men Wear Green
03-07-2020, 06:03 PM
I would say DRob was faster. In a full court sprint i would bet heavily on DRob. I don't think it would be close.

DRob was a late bloomer who didn't play a lot of bball when he was young relative to today's players. He went to college at Navy lol.

If he came up now maybe he would have been a better ball handler but i can't just assume that. I have seen a lot of guys extend their shooting range to shoot 3s but improving ball handling seems to be a bit tougher. Robinson played in the NBA a long time and got the ball frequently on the perimeter but didn't show much craftiness off the dribble. I remember him as a guy who dribbled with his head down in a straight line.
Imake the assumption because Robinson was so highly coordinated. If a guy can learn to shoot he can learn to dribble and if someone got Robinsin into basketball at a young age he would be looking up to guys like KD and Dirk instead of Kareem and Bill Walton or whoever he was in to.

Bronbron23
03-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Plays just like a typical player from that era and LeBron absolutely dominated him. I have seen enough. LeBron would have multiple 40ppg seasons in the 90’s

Well greek is about to be the undisputed best player in the world and go on a dominant run and win 4 or 5 chips over the next decade so saying a 90's player would dominant this ara is pretty accurate :cheers:

MrFonzworth
03-07-2020, 06:42 PM
:biggums:

OP with another dangerously low IQ take. Can't wait until Philly gets Boston in the playoffs.

90sgoat
03-07-2020, 06:57 PM
My point with Robinson was to compare the general combination of height, speed and coordination, of which Robinson absolutely matches Giannis.

Keep in mind Giannis has the benefit of modern carry rules. Remember when Giannis got called for carry in FIBA before making half court?

I think D-Rob would play more like Embiid today, but make no mistake, he'd be an absolute force.

Axe
03-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Well greek is about to be the undisputed best player in the world and go on a dominant run and win 4 or 5 chips over the next decade so saying a 90's player would dominant this ara is pretty accurate :cheers:
While I'd like to see giannis blossoming into a potential "best" player in this decade, he has yet to prove himself that he is worthy of garnering nba titles first. This year he has a good chance of starting and doing it. So I do hope he gives his best shot. If not, better luck next time.

tontoz
03-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Hakeem is also a comparison if you are just looking at length, speed and coordination. Completely different game though and another guy that would excel in this era.

The reason Giannis is different can be seen on his BR page blow. Check out his position lol:

https://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/Screenshot%202020-03-07%20at%206.12.38%20PM_zpsjgqwiqfl.png (https://s56.photobucket.com/user/tontoz/media/Screenshot%202020-03-07%20at%206.12.38%20PM_zpsjgqwiqfl.png.html)

90sgoat
03-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Giannis a small forward.

Axe
03-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Giannis a small forward.
Yeah but i think that was during his rookie days when he was still listed at 6'9"

FKAri
03-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Giannis a small forward.

If you average out all the positions he can play then yes.

tanibanana
03-08-2020, 03:04 AM
DRob was a very good comparison.
They don't play alike, but if both was born in the same era, both will play almost the same.