PDA

View Full Version : Silver may permanently change the NBA season schedule

FKAri
03-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Rumours of a possible shift to a Dec-August schedule.
I like it. It would give us more time for this season to play out but also sounds nice going forward. Only issue might be what do TV deals look like with summer dates?

StrongLurk
03-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Kobe dying and now this pandemic effecting the world has really made me not care about sports.

Axe
03-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Blech.

MaxPlayer
03-18-2020, 11:09 PM
Not sure I’m crazy about this idea. Playoffs are sorely needed in May/June. By August I’m gearing up for football and baseball pennant races might be at least somewhat followable. I guess it would avoid conflicting with hockey playoffs but I’m not watching those.

FKAri
03-18-2020, 11:11 PM
Not sure I’m crazy about this idea. Playoffs are sorely needed in May/June. By August I’m gearing up for football and baseball pennant races might be at least somewhat followable. I guess it would avoid conflicting with hockey playoffs but I’m not watching those.

One advantage is this wouldn't overlap with the NFL as much.

Wally450
03-18-2020, 11:29 PM
I enjoy the October to June format personally. What are the pros for December to August?

FireDavidKahn
03-18-2020, 11:35 PM
I enjoy the October to June format personally. What are the pros for December to August?

Less competition with football for viewership?

highwhey
03-18-2020, 11:36 PM
this is interesting. i definitely hate the summer drop off. as soon as the finals are completed, there's no basketball and the summer league isn't interesting enough. i'm left with the draft and reports on how my favorite players are putting time in the gym. rather have more basketball in the summer.

oldtimer28
03-19-2020, 03:23 AM
Overlap with Olympics every 4 years?

Ps. Anyone know how i can post a new thread please?

RoseCity07
03-19-2020, 03:47 AM
I actually like that idea. The only downside is that the fall months are kind of boring. It's usually cold out and it's nice to stay home and watch sports.

Playoffs in the summer seems cool though. Something about playoff time when the weather is nice. After watching a game you feel like heading to the park and playing some pick up ball.

Axe
03-19-2020, 04:28 AM
Too bad i already got used to watching the playoffs in april. 🥴

Uncle Drew
03-19-2020, 05:02 AM
Kobe dying and now this pandemic effecting the world has really made me not care about sports.

Okay, then leave.

SouBeachTalents
03-19-2020, 05:09 AM
I actually like it. Have the season kick off on Christmas Day, then have something to watch during the summer besides meaningless baseball games and the occasional golf or tennis major. I honestly think I'd like this better than the current October-June schedule

Spurs m8
03-19-2020, 05:31 AM
Should shorten the fvcking thing tbh

SouBeachTalents
03-19-2020, 05:43 AM
Should shorten the fvcking thing tbh
That too. Either make it 58 games, or 66 and play your divisional opponents 3x. 82 is simply too many games, and it affects how seriously the players take the regular season. But the owners, who won't even cover their employees poverty wages during this pandemic, would NEVER agree to shorten the season :lol Even if it meant it would greatly improve the quality of their product

ArbitraryWater
03-19-2020, 06:02 AM
I actually like that idea. The only downside is that the fall months are kind of boring. It's usually cold out and it's nice to stay home and watch sports.

Playoffs in the summer seems cool though. Something about playoff time when the weather is nice. After watching a game you feel like heading to the park and playing some pick up ball.

but aren't the playoffs right now in the summer?

and with this change, they wouldn't be anymore, since august isn't summer?

i love playoffs and finals in the summer

I actually like it. Have the season kick off on Christmas Day, then have something to watch during the summer besides meaningless baseball games and the occasional golf or tennis major. I honestly think I'd like this better than the current October-June schedule

but i agree.

i don't really like the weird october start. if its marked to december, it pretty much only bridges one calendar year almost, which is nice imo.

HylianNightmare
03-19-2020, 06:52 AM
I'll take whatever format we get back at this point

FreezingTsmoove
03-19-2020, 03:08 PM
First Silver puts the world in a state of panic for no reason and now we have this bullshit

Draz
03-19-2020, 03:29 PM
Decrease the games to 60+/- instead and do the December - August.

rawimpact
03-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Eh, I like Oct- end of Feb.

Leave March for March Madness
Leave Thanksgiving, Christmas Day games this way too
Also helps with views for those that get snow around this time.

SouBeachTalents
03-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Eh, I like Oct- end of Feb.

Leave March for March Madness
Leave Thanksgiving, Christmas Day games this way too
Also helps with views for those that get snow around this time.
You'd have the NBA playoffs run at the exact same time as the NFL playoffs? That's ratings suicide

rawimpact
03-19-2020, 03:41 PM
You'd have the NBA playoffs run at the exact same time as the NFL playoffs? That's ratings suicide

I'm more into basketball so my opinion is obviously based on what suites me.

Meticode
03-19-2020, 05:23 PM
I'd support a December to August schedule. It fixes that gap between July and October where the sports are meh to watch unless you like baseball. And I've grown out of love with baseball over the years with how slow it's gotten.

bladefd
03-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Rumours of a possible shift to a Dec-August schedule.
I like it. It would give us more time for this season to play out but also sounds nice going forward. Only issue might be what do TV deals look like with summer dates?

If that happens, I have sports all year long. NFL September to January. NBA December to August. :pimp:

JohnnySic
03-19-2020, 06:19 PM
Nah. There are others things to do in the summer besides watch basketball. The NBA season is the one of the few highlights of late fall/winter/early spring. Leave it as is.

Jay-B
03-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Love this idea. Hope we get this years playoffs in June-August and they are forced to alter. NBA Playoffs July how can you not love it

Smoke117
03-20-2020, 10:42 PM
They need to just shave off 12-18 games, period. Even before all this coronavirus nonsense I was basically sick of the regular season as I always am going into march. I'm always just over the season going into the last 4th/20 games of the regular season. We already pretty much know what a team is by then and even the players are just looking to the playoffs by then, themselves.

Walk on Water
03-21-2020, 04:50 AM
What scenario does the NBA return this year? If we return in July, there’s a strong chance the virus returns in the Fall stronger than ever. So to be able to return would require a best case scenario and possibly no fans. And that’s a 3-4 month layoff. I don’t see it.