PDA

View Full Version : Better 3rd option, Chris Bosh or Rik Smits?

Hey Yo
04-04-2020, 10:57 PM
I'll hang up and listen.

FireDavidKahn
04-04-2020, 11:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vCxkUmq.jpg

Patrick Chewing
04-05-2020, 12:13 AM
Rik Smits. Better post player. Better rebounder. Better defender.

TheCorporation
04-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Big *** Smits

Round Mound
04-05-2020, 12:21 AM
I am an 80's & 90's fan but Bosh was better than Smits. Bosh was a better scorer, shooter, rebounder, defender and passer than Smits. Smits was a better post player though.

Reggie43
04-05-2020, 12:33 AM
Rik Smits was the better and more impactful player. Reggie Miller provided the flash but Smits was equally important and anchored the paint offensively in their deep playoff runs. Pacers wont have playoff wins against Shaq and Penny Magic, Ewing and the knicks etc if not for Smits.

Lebron23
04-05-2020, 01:29 AM
Chris Bosh.

Soundwave
04-05-2020, 02:36 AM
Bosh is a more talented player, but that isn't your question.

Your question is who would be the better THIRD option, which pretty much implies there are already two better than Bosh/Smits players on the roster.

In that case, you probably go with Smits. 7'4 players that can actually play are far more rare and more prone to altering shots while being able to more easily get their own shot off.

But that's pretty much a wash, I wouldn't be upset with either, if either if your third best player, odds are you're loaded.

DoctorP
04-05-2020, 02:37 AM
Bossshhhhhhhhhhhh

Whoah10115
04-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Bosh is a more talented player, but that isn't your question.

Your question is who would be the better THIRD option, which pretty much implies there are already two better than Bosh/Smits players on the roster.

In that case, you probably go with Smits. 7'4 players that can actually play are far more rare and more prone to altering shots while being able to more easily get their own shot off.

But that's pretty much a wash, I wouldn't be upset with either, if either if your third best player, odds are you're loaded.

That's a good point. The Heat had an advantage having a player like that, essentially in reserve.

Smits would fit better. Tho if the question were 2nd option or just better player, I'd take Bosh.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Iĺl take Chris Bosh. He is a slightly better scorer than Bosh.

Here are the points per 100 possessions.

Bosh scored 28.3 points per 100 possessions.
Rik Smits scored 28.6 points per 100 possessions.

What this basically means that Rick Smits scored more on better efficiency on more possessions on the basketball court. But obviously we cant just rely on one stat to determine which player was the better scorer.

eFG% are way more accurate than just using FG% in general.

What I found is that Chris Bosh has almost equal eFG% to mits. (50.6 vs 50.7).

What really sticks out to me was their 3 point FG%.

Chris Bosh was a .335. Smits was a .115.

It is perfectly clear that Bosh was clearly the better 3 point shooter.

Lets look at FGA.

Chris Bosh attempted more (14.1) compared to Rick´s (12) while maintaining efficient scoring.

I would pick Bosh because he can better spread out the floor and provide 3 point shooting and because he will not cramp the spacing of the offense.

Rik Smits does not score from 3 point which is greatly needed in this era of 3-ball so Chris Bosh imo is the better scorer in every way possible.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Now lets take a look at rebounding.

Chris Bosh no doubt takes this one.

ORB%
Bosh-7.2
Smits-8.0

Despite Bosh having a better average in rebounds in his statline it does NOT tell the full story.
Smits is a better offensive rebounder than Bosh.

DRB%
20.7% for Bosh
18.2 for Smits

Bosh is a better defensive rebounder than Rick Smits.

TRB%

Here is the tiebreaker.

Bosh have 14.1% while Smits have 13.3%

Bosh gathers rebounds at a higher rate than Smits therefore Bosh is a better OVERALL rebounder than Smits.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Bosh is the better passer also. The stat AST% reflect this as well.

Bosh have a 10 AST%

while

Smits have a 9.3 AST%

Bosh assisted more on more possessions therefore my conclusion is that Bosh contributes to the offense more compared to Rick Smits in every way possible.

Whoah10115
04-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Thanks for not providing any information.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Thanks for not providing any information.

Who me? I did provide info to support my claim.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Whats most important in my criteria is how great or how well a player impacted their own teams or what is the players value compared relative to another player/league?...

Bosh has a BPM of 1.9 while Rik Smits has a BPM of -0.2.

This stat is not perfect as it doesnt indicate a player´s value or peformance. It is totally dependent how good a team you are on. For example if I was on the GSW superteam on court with KD, Curry, and Klay my Plus-Minus would be good. But if I was playing on the Wizards my box score are probably not going to be good. So it doesnt reflect a players value. But RPM(Real Plus Minus) wasnt recorded unfortunately when Smits played.. so I have to use BPM.

Chris Bosh clearly impacts the bball court better than Smits.

Kblaze8855
04-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Bosh was better but not by as much as numbers suggest. Smits was more talented than he looked. There have not been many humans his size with his touch or mobility. Don’t let old bald Smits in a few clips fool you. Young blue jersey Smits was pretty athletic.

Turbo Slayer
04-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Bosh was better but not by as much as numbers suggest. Smits was more talented than he looked. There have not been many humans his size with his touch or mobility. Don’t let old bald Smits in a few clips fool you. Young blue jersey Smits was pretty athletic.

I would still pick Bosh because of the stats/numbers. But imo you cant go wrong with either player as your pick tbh.