PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan's UNDERRATED years as a Wizard

jstern
04-08-2020, 02:51 PM
https://youtu.be/Zeuk_qZXVXE?t=156

As he was getting back into basketball shape, Jordan averaged 27.5 PPG, 6.4 APG, 5.2 RPG the last 20 games before his injury. 29.7 PPG, 6.6 APG, and 6.1 RPG the last 10 games. On pace to make the playoffs, which would had been a first for a sub 20 wins team. That's with Rip Hamilton missing 5 weeks with a groin injury. When he came back, the Wizards went on a 15 - 1 streak, with the best defense in the league. (On bball reference, I see that they won 13 games in a row with Rip, but that also includes games before the injury.)

Wizards had the 2nd worst defense in the league the year before in terms of PPG, number 6 best defense before Jordan's injury.

Vino24
04-08-2020, 02:55 PM
42% from midrange 18% from 3. He was done.

RRR3
04-08-2020, 02:56 PM
46.8 TS%.

Yikes.

Manny98
04-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Missed the playoffs two years in a row and shot abysmally from the field both years.

On what planet is that underrated :roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-08-2020, 02:59 PM
Always maintained this. Naysayers talk about his shooting percentage but never mention his production before the injury. In 2002, Mike had Washington in playoff contention while he was averaged 20+ on 45%FG. In a depressed offensive era. Guy was 40 the next year and had multiple 40 point games. Also broke the record for most points scored by a 40 year old. Did it efficiently too

Vino24
04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Always maintained this. Naysayers talk about his shooting percentage but never mention his production before the injury. In 2002, Mike had Washington in playoff contention while he was averaged 20+ on 45%FG. In a depressed offensive era. Guy was 40 the next year and had multiple 40 point games. Also broke the record for most points scored by a 40 year old. Did it efficiently too

He retired before the league loaded up on SG’s. He’s lucky there were not more Kobe-like players in his time

Docs Orders
04-08-2020, 03:07 PM
42% from midrange 18% from 3. He was done.

46.8 TS%.

Yikes.

ouch :lol

RRR3
04-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Mike is the GOAT and all, but his efficiency was poor in his Wizards years. Sure, the whole league was pretty inefficient back then, but he was all-time bad (considering volume) in terms of TS% his first year in Washington. That's how you can tell he was washed up, Mike was known as an efficient scorer in his prime.

jstern
04-08-2020, 03:09 PM
46.8 TS%.

Yikes.

What about the fact that he had them in the playoffs, with one of the best defenses in the league before the injury. This as he was getting back in to basketball shape, and after Ron Artest breaking his ribs before the season started. Keep in mind that he was the only starter, significant addition for the team that year.

ClipperRevival
04-08-2020, 03:23 PM
What about the fact that he had them in the playoffs, with one of the best defenses in the league before the injury. This as he was getting back in to basketball shape, and after Ron Artest breaking his ribs before the season started. Keep in mind that he was the only starter, significant addition for the team that year.

Why even bother bro? Forget the fact that the early 2000's was one of the most slowest paced, hard to score, grind it out eras ever. In the grand scheme of things, TS% and "stats" mean more than winning.

These are the same people who will claim that CP3 was far superior over Zeke by looking at stats only.

RRR3
04-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Why even bother bro? Forget the fact that the early 2000's was one of the most slowest paced, hard to score, grind it out eras ever. In the grand scheme of things, TS% and "stats" mean more than winning.

These are the same people who will claim that CP3 was far superior over Zeke by looking at stats only.
CP3 shits on Zeke. Low IQ take.

ClipperRevival
04-08-2020, 03:31 PM
CP3 shits on Zeke. Low IQ take.

Thanks for proving my point.

RRR3
04-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Thanks for proving my point.
Name a single thing Zeke did better on the basketball court. Vague intangible BS doesn't count.

LoneyROY7
04-08-2020, 04:04 PM
What's underrated is the 40 piece in one half Kobe dropped on MJ's dome in 2003.

Vino24
04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
What's underrated is the 40 piece in one half Kobe dropped on MJ's dome in 2003.

Sent him into retirement permanently

warriorfan
04-08-2020, 04:54 PM
46.8 TS%.

Yikes.

Looks like LeBrons efficiency in the 2015 Finals

Vino24
04-08-2020, 04:59 PM
According to 3ball MJ wizards years didn’t happen

fourkicks44
04-08-2020, 05:37 PM
How can an All-Star be underrated?

Bronbron23
04-08-2020, 06:27 PM

As he was getting back into basketball shape, Jordan averaged 27.5 PPG, 6.4 APG, 5.2 RPG the last 20 games before his injury. 29.7 PPG, 6.6 APG, and 6.1 RPG the last 10 games. On pace to make the playoffs, which would had been a first for a sub 20 wins team. That's with Rip Hamilton missing 5 weeks with a groin injury. When he came back, the Wizards went on a 15 - 1 streak, with the best defense in the league. (On bball reference, I see that they won 13 games in a row with Rip, but that also includes games before the injury.)

Wizards had the 2nd worst defense in the league the year before in terms of PPG, number 6 best defense before Jordan's injury.

Not sure it was underrated. Given his age and taking a couple years off he was pretty good. He wasnt one of the best players in the league anymore but before the injury he was solid and had them in the hunt. Most people acknowledge this. The haters dont.

jlip
04-08-2020, 06:54 PM
It is impossible for any aspect of MJ's career to be considered "underrated."

FireDavidKahn
04-08-2020, 08:33 PM
WOW.

Jordan was holding back his teammates in Washington. Right from the horses mouth

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1248044241739288583

nizroc
04-08-2020, 11:47 PM
Stackhouse had plenty of chances before and after playing with Jordan to prove he was better. Anyway, you putting that here isn’t much more than a red herring.

jstern
04-09-2020, 01:19 AM
You can directly compared Jordan and Steakhouse when they played together right here https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2003.html

Stackhouse, while playing 2 more minutes per game than Jordan shot .409 from the field, averaging less assists and rebounds than him.

Didn't Jordan have a a revenge game against Stackhouse, because they played one on one when Stackhouse came into the league, and Stackhouse felt that Jordan wasn't that great, or felt that he was at the same level? He has a history of being delusional.

I think this was the revenge game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUMHZbvnMAA

Stanley Kobrick
04-09-2020, 01:47 AM
WOW.

Jordan was holding back his teammates in Washington. Right from the horses mouth

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1248044241739288583
wow, very fascinating

iamgine
04-09-2020, 02:53 AM
Yeah he was still pretty good as a Wiz. Even showed flashes of greatness before ultimately burning out. I'd say he was equivalent to current Donovan Mitchell level if analogizing to today.

But we have to remember that he had pretty low NBA mileage at that point. His mileage was comparable to 2016 Lebron.

Lebron23
04-09-2020, 03:02 AM
He missed the playoffs in the worst eastern conference era.

SouBeachTalents
04-09-2020, 04:04 AM
Looks like LeBrons efficiency in the 2015 Finals
And he still got more FMVP votes than Curry

LostCause
04-09-2020, 05:42 AM
Yeah he was still pretty good as a Wiz. Even showed flashes of greatness before ultimately burning out. I'd say he was equivalent to current Donovan Mitchell level if analogizing to today.

But we have to remember that he had pretty low NBA mileage at that point. His mileage was comparable to 2016 Lebron.

"Mileage" doesn't matter when you're up in the 38+ age range. Age alone robs you of far more than "mileage" would

LeBron could stop playing right now and not get any more "mileage" until he hits 38/39 and I guarantee that dropoff athletically will be gigantic and he'll never again be anywhere near the player he was when he last played, even with all this time to "rest". Age is always the most limiting factor

Do the same for Giannis. Same result

Its basic physiology

iamgine
04-09-2020, 05:57 AM
"Mileage" doesn't matter when you're up in the 38+ age range. Age alone robs you of far more than "mileage" would

LeBron could stop playing right now and not get any more "mileage" until he hits 38/39 and I guarantee that dropoff athletically will be gigantic and he'll never again be anywhere near the player he was when he last played, even with all this time to "rest". Age is always the most limiting factor

Its basic physiology

Mileage does matter. So does age. So does nutrition and training.

Phoenix
04-09-2020, 06:09 AM

Its basic physiology

Some of these people act like if MJ had retired at 30 in 93.....then came back at 38 in 2001 because he 'rested' for 8 years he's going to come back with 30 year old athleticism lol. At a certain point age and attrition takes hold no matter what. I think MJ actually would have been better off just playing all the way through 98 then retiring. He missed prime production and likely left some legacy bullet points on the table( probably the 94 title at least, FMVP, a couple of scoring titles, points, etc).

His Wizard years were fascinating in terms of what an older MJ could do but it had the effect of adversely impacting his stats as well. His scoring average in particular dipped from like 32 to 30 just edging out Wilt, when he had a distinct ppg edge after 98 when he walked away the 2nd time.

Whoah10115
04-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Name a single thing Zeke did better on the basketball court. Vague intangible BS doesn't count.

No no no.

Paul is an all-time great, but he is not as good as Isiah Thomas.

I mean, no. Isiah is a better scorer than Paul, no doubt. As good as anyone ever as getting to any spot he wanted. He's most athletic, he's better off the ball. He's a better passer.

Let me repeat, he's a better passer. Better ball-handler.

Also, Jordan was really good on the Wizards. They won almost twice as many games after he started playing. From 19 to 37.

That's mostly on him.

FireDavidKahn
04-09-2020, 11:16 AM
LeBron is unlike any athlete we've ever seen before. A "decline" for him and he'd still be in the 95% of the league in terms of athletic ability.

Elosha
04-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Jordan's Wizard years are definitely underrated, in large part because of the 2001 knee injury to Jordan that tanked the Wizard's season.

Jordan was playing better and better in his first season before his teammate ran into him and basically ended his season in a game against Sacramento. He was averaging over 25 per game and 5-6 rebounds and assists, and his averages were even higher than that for the 10 games before the injury. His fg percentage was steadily climbing. The Wizards were winning consistently and were something like the fifth seed. There was talk about Jordan being a darkhorse MVP candidate.

That injury destroyed Jordan and the Wizard's season. Jordan was so limited that in only about 10 more games that he played after the injury, his season scoring average dropped over 3 points down to around 22. He couldn't move, could hardly jump, and had no lateral ability. To suffer that kind of injury at his age (after already coming off broken ribs courtesy of Ron Artest, dealing with his badly injured finger, etc.) was lethal for his season. The Wizards were peaking, and I'm quite sure they would have made the playoffs easily and been a real danger to anyone they faced. They played great defense before Jordan's injury and he could still dominate playoff games.

Jordan wasn't the best player in 2001 but he was quite arguably top 3-5 before the injury, and that's taking into account his rust and having to play his way into game shape in the early season, plus adjusting to a brand new team/system.

hateraid
04-09-2020, 11:45 AM

And yet Jordaneers leave these years off when calculating playoff statistics. How convenient

Manny98
04-09-2020, 11:55 AM
If LeBron missed the playoffs back to back seasons and shot as poorly from the field as Jordan did in his Wizards years he would have gotten absolutely torn to shreds by the media yet here we are actually praising MJ for his Wizards years

Crazy how the so called GOAT is held to lower standards than LeBron

hateraid
04-09-2020, 02:33 PM
If LeBron missed the playoffs back to back seasons and shot as poorly from the field as Jordan did in his Wizards years he would have gotten absolutely torn to shreds by the media yet here we are actually praising MJ for his Wizards years

Crazy how the so called GOAT is held to lower standards than LeBron

100%
OP reeks of hypocrisy. Ignoring Wizards years when it doesn't fit narrative

LostCause
04-09-2020, 03:22 PM

Your original post was implying Jordan at 39 was somehow comparable to LeBron in 2016 because of "mileage". That was a hilariously bad take for reasons already stated. To believe that level of stupidity you'd also have to believe that if Giannis never played in the NBA again until he turns 39, that he'd be able to pick right back up where he left off because his "mileage" didn't change, even if he was still healthy and in good shape. Again, stupid take, but that was your implication

It's common sense that, outside of just being lazy/poor training, age is the biggest factor when determining degradation of athletic ability over time. "Mileage" is a factor, but not particularly close in comparison to age

LostCause
04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
And yet Jordaneers leave these years off when calculating playoff statistics. How convenient

This post makes so much sense

LAmbruh
04-09-2020, 03:36 PM

Yup

RRR3
04-09-2020, 04:42 PM
No no no.

Paul is an all-time great, but he is not as good as Isiah Thomas.

I mean, no. Isiah is a better scorer than Paul, no doubt. As good as anyone ever as getting to any spot he wanted. He's most athletic, he's better off the ball. He's a better passer.

Let me repeat, he's a better passer. Better ball-handler.

Also, Jordan was really good on the Wizards. They won almost twice as many games after he started playing. From 19 to 37.

That's mostly on him.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Based on WHAT? Your feelings? All statistical data suggests otherwise.

Whoah10115
04-09-2020, 05:11 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Based on WHAT? Your feelings? All statistical data suggests otherwise.

The games...the games suggest otherwise.

I don't think anyone who has watched them play really argue otherwise. It's certainly not a widely held opinion.

Isiah Thomas takes over for longer stretches. He's a better scorer.

Shoulder shrug emoji

brownmamba00
04-09-2020, 05:13 PM

I don't think anyone who has watched them play really argue otherwise. It's certainly not a widely held opinion.

Shoulder shrug emoji

I agree. IT was a better defender aswell.

RRR3
04-09-2020, 05:24 PM

Shoulder shrug emoji
CP3 regular season career per 100 possessions: 27.5 PTS on 58.2 TS%

Zeke regular season career per 100 possessions: 25.7 on 51.6 TS%

CP3 career playoffs per 100 possessions: 29.2 PTS on 57.9 TS%

Zeke career playoffs per 100 possessions: 27.6 PTS on 52.0 TS%

The games do not suggest otherwise.

RRR3
04-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Is that why CP3 made 9 all-defensive teams and Zeke made ZERO? :oldlol:

You Kobe fans love using All-D teams, so don't move the goalposts now.

FireDavidKahn
04-09-2020, 05:30 PM

CP3 is the most underappreciated player ever. The guy HAD IT ALL.

Dude got traded from the Rockets to an OKC team that lost Westbrook and George only to equal the Rockets in the win column:roll:

RRR3
04-09-2020, 05:34 PM
CP3 is the most underappreciated player ever. The guy HAD IT ALL.

Dude got traded from the Rockets to an OKC team that lost Westbrook and George only to equal the Rockets in the win column:roll:
Zeke was better with his amazing 51.6 TS% doe :oldlol:

This is a pretty indefensible position unless you're basing everything off "RRRRRAAAANGGGGGGZZZZZZ DOEEEEE!!11!!1!"

look at this thread from a legit board: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1815160

brownmamba00
04-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Zeke was average on defense compared to his backcourt partner but CP wasn't some lockdown ball defender.

I'll take Zeke thank you.

RRR3
04-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Zeke was average on defense compared to his backcourt partner but CP wasn't some lockdown ball defender.

:biggums:

Have you ever watched him play? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Manny98
04-09-2020, 06:02 PM

:facepalm

brownmamba00
04-09-2020, 06:05 PM
CP got routinely abused by bigger point guards throughout his career. From Dwill to Westbrook everyone took dumps on Chris flop Paul.

I know some old school bball fans that would flat out laugh in your face if you said that shit to them:oldlol:

LAmbruh
04-09-2020, 06:05 PM
imagine thinking Isiah Thomas is better than Chris Paul :oldlol:

RRR3
04-09-2020, 06:08 PM
The "RANGZZZZZZZ" crowd is embarrassing.

RRR3
04-09-2020, 06:09 PM
I remember CP3 shutting down KD ffs, what the **** is this dude talking about?

brownmamba00
04-09-2020, 06:14 PM
Yeah he shut him down aigt

Look

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6muEHmvSI

Manny98
04-09-2020, 06:15 PM

:roll::roll::roll:

RRR3
04-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Look

Damn, one clip, and that's not the series I was referring to. That was great defense by CP3 most of the possession anyways, Durant just made a great move.

Turbo Slayer
04-09-2020, 06:21 PM

Look

Really? You have to snoop this low. One clip doesnt mean anything in terms of CP3 defense. Btw that was a mismatch. It's not a fair comparison. :facepalm

brownmamba00
04-09-2020, 06:27 PM
Really? You have to snoop this low. One clip doesnt mean anything in terms of CP3 defense. Btw that was a mismatch. It's not a fair comparison. :facepalm
Yeah I know

But i'm not the one that said CP was locking up KD lmao

I can show clips of Zeke guarding up on MJ it don't mean anything really.

Whoah10115
04-09-2020, 06:39 PM
I'm a big Chris Paul guy. He's got brains. He's got skills. He's got balls. Clutch and a big time leader.

Maybe he's closer than I'm realizing. He's one of those guys who translates into any era. He's got personality and I take him over a ton of guys right now. All at their best I'd take him top 3 of the best guys right now.

That anyone is laughing like Isiah is some random hall-of-famer...that's crazy. And stats are useful to look at me but won't tell me the story, much less from players across 30 years.

andgar923
04-09-2020, 07:00 PM
I'm a big Chris Paul guy. He's got brains. He's got skills. He's got balls. Clutch and a big time leader.

Maybe he's closer than I'm realizing. He's one of those guys who translates into any era. He's got personality and I take him over a ton of guys right now. All at their best I'd take him top 3 of the best guys right now.

That anyone is laughing like Isiah is some random hall-of-famer...that's crazy. And stats are useful to look at me but won't tell me the story, much less from players across 30 years.

Zeke killed prime Marbury in practice.

Whoah10115
04-09-2020, 08:52 PM

Isiah top 20.

Stanley Kobrick
04-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Isiah top 20.
are you okay?

SamuraiSWISH
04-09-2020, 10:13 PM
Truth. I think they talked about it with Q Rich on the Knuckleheads podcast. Zeke tapered his scoring to accommodate big time scorers in Dantley, Dumars and Aguirre. He could've scored more. Paul and Zeke are comparable. But given durability, mental toughness, I'm rolling with Zeke quite definitively.

Of course Jordan's Wiz years are underrated. He was 38.5 - 39 years old in that 01-02 season, 3 years of no playing, atrophy, and weight gain. Revolutions around the sun, especially considering he wasn't in competitive pro level conditioning maintaining shape or muscle memory for basketball is more important than perceptions on "NBA mileage" ... it's more damaging to stop playing, then start again, than is to continuing to play.

He got his ribs broke which derailed his come back process significantly. And he was still a beast before that knee injury. Him, and prime Kobe were the only ones putting up 25/5/5 with elite defense. He had the Wiz significantly better than they had prior, and would've been in the playoffs had he not gotten injured.

FireDavidKahn
04-09-2020, 11:08 PM

Look

Wow. So you post a video where Paul actually is playing good defense but it's not that effective because he is playing against one of the best scorers ever who happens to be 6'10" to Paul's 6'1"?

I've seen some terrible takes on this board but that takes the cake.

iamgine
04-09-2020, 11:32 PM
Your original post was implying Jordan at 39 was somehow comparable to LeBron in 2016 because of "mileage". That was a hilariously bad take for reasons already stated. To believe that level of stupidity you'd also have to believe that if Giannis never played in the NBA again until he turns 39, that he'd be able to pick right back up where he left off because his "mileage" didn't change, even if he was still healthy and in good shape. Again, stupid take, but that was your implication

It's common sense that, outside of just being lazy/poor training, age is the biggest factor when determining degradation of athletic ability over time. "Mileage" is a factor, but not particularly close in comparison to age
I think you just misunderstood. I compared his mileage to Lebron only to illustrate how high/low his mileage at that point was. Don't make up scenarios in your head.

Mileage is a big factor. Every NBA season is grueling to the body.

LostCause
04-10-2020, 02:39 AM
I think you just misunderstood. I compared his mileage to Lebron only to illustrate how high/low his mileage at that point was. Don't make up scenarios in your head.

Mileage is a big factor. Every NBA season is grueling to the body.

Nothings being made up here. Fact is you tried to make a really stupid comparison and I called it out. So I'm not really sure what you're saying now

If the two of them were the same age, or a year apart or so, sure. A "mileage" comparison would be relevant. It's not relevant when you're comparing a 39 year old to a 31 year old. Bringing up mileage at that point instead of actual age is just moronic (Doesnt matter what the "mileage" is. A 39 year old will almost always be worse off athletically than a 31 year old)

Nothing else needs to be said on that matter

SouBeachTalents
04-10-2020, 03:03 AM
:oldlol: Absolutely not

Axe
04-10-2020, 03:28 AM
It's kinda cute how jerry stackhouse actually revealed that he believed himself was a better player than mj was during their years in the wizards as teammates.

iamgine
04-10-2020, 03:49 AM
Nothings being made up here. Fact is you tried to make a really stupid comparison and I called it out. So I'm not really sure what you're saying now

If the two of them were the same age, or a year apart or so, sure. A "mileage" comparison would be relevant. It's not relevant when you're comparing a 39 year old to a 31 year old. Bringing up mileage at that point instead of actual age is just moronic (Doesnt matter what the "mileage" is. A 39 year old will almost always be worse off athletically than a 31 year old)

Nothing else needs to be said on that matter

I think you like to make stuff up in your head. No one was comparing players or age, just illustrating how high/low his mileage was. And of course it matters. I don't think anyone find it likely if MJ didn't retire he'd play at that level in 2002.

FireDavidKahn
04-10-2020, 05:27 AM
MJ was so insecure at this stage that he thought LeBron's ceiling would only amount to a "good pro"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUjqlPfXgAQAvzA?format=jpg&name=small

:roll:

Stanley Kobrick
04-10-2020, 05:47 AM
MJ was so insecure at this stage that he thought LeBron's ceiling would only amount to a "good pro"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUjqlPfXgAQAvzA?format=jpg&name=small

i think by now we can all conclude Michael's years as a NBA scout has failed dramatically.

nayte
04-10-2020, 06:22 AM
obviously LeBron is better then a good pro but not a terrible assessment at the time . It did take LeBron a few years to make the playoffs

FireDavidKahn
04-10-2020, 07:40 AM
obviously LeBron is better then a good pro but not a terrible assessment at the time . It did take LeBron a few years to make the playoffs

Bill Walton, correctly, was saying LeBron was a GOAT after 2 years in the league. Hell even Walton correctly pointed out that LeBron had a horsesh!t team next to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxOnqThQxpA

LeBron was better then "just a good pro" his rookie year.

nayte
04-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Are we back to quoting players . That doesn’t go well for all.it sounds like u are just hating on a certain player for no reason

FireDavidKahn
04-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Are we back to quoting players . That doesn’t go well for all.it sounds like u are just hating on a certain player for no reason

Pointing out that MJ was so insecure that he had to diminish LeBron before he even played in the NBA is hating for no reason?

MJ is the one who hates on LeBron for no reason.

Vino24
04-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Not one 3ball post in this thread

nayte
04-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Cool I don’t care but yes u are just as insecure as Jordan . Way to go champ

bizil
04-10-2020, 04:20 PM
The Wizards years ARE UNDERRATED in my opinion. Because many people will say he was trash. Or embarrassed himself with the Wizards. Sure he was obviously past his prime. BUT the thing is MJ was still a legit All Star caliber swingman. He still had moments where he would go for 50. Most guys IN THE PRIME of their careers would love to average 21.5 PPG-4.5dimes-5.9 boards a night! That's what MJ averaged during their Wizards days. Plus he was still a good defender as well. How many guys at 39 and 40 years old ARE legit All Star caliber players??? The fact MJ pulled that off should be applauded!

Whoah10115
04-10-2020, 04:35 PM
This is up here is what clowns don't understand.

It's just like Trumpisms.

Axe
04-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Not one 3ball post in this thread
Don't speak of the devil.