PDA

View Full Version : Favorite NBA role players of all time

insidehoops
04-13-2020, 10:53 PM
Who are some of your favorite NBA role players of all time? And, why?

DoctorP
04-13-2020, 10:57 PM
Keith Askins, Damon Jones, Walt Williams, Ray Allen, Robert Horry, Dan Majerle...

there are probably others

As a Heat fan a lott of those guys were impressive. Horry was a killer in the clutch.

GimmeThat
04-13-2020, 11:20 PM
Shawn Marion, very agile

LukeWalton
04-13-2020, 11:32 PM
Kyle Korver. he shoots 3s and likes the Ds

too bad he never got a ring

jstern
04-13-2020, 11:37 PM
In before Jason Terry.

highwhey
04-14-2020, 12:40 AM
I was a fan of Leandro Barbosa

1987_Lakers
04-14-2020, 01:08 AM
Danny Ainge - Fiesty, could shoot & handle the ball, not a bad defender
Michael Cooper - Defense, more reliable than Byron Scott in the clutch
Lamar Odom - Glue to the Lakers back to back championship teams
Andre Iguodala (GS version) - Defense, high IQ, clutch, great athlete
Bill Walton ('86 version) - High IQ, elite passer & rebounder, good rim protection
Manu Ginobili ('12-'14 version) - Extremley versatile, could shoot, drive, handle the ball, & pass

Manny98
04-14-2020, 03:54 AM
Tony Allen - I like how much pride he has on defense especially in a era where not a lot of players care that much about defense and only focus on scoring

Akeem34TheDream
04-14-2020, 04:50 AM
Matt Bonner

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 06:21 AM
Kyle Korver. he shoots 3s and likes the Ds

too bad he never got a ring

likes the Ds?

Are you implying he liked defense?

RRR3
04-14-2020, 10:59 AM
Mario Chalmers. No one else is even close. One of my favorite players period.

HoopsNY
04-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Good topic! Unfortunately, my knowledge doesn't go back before the 80s for this one as you would have really had to see players play to speak about this one. But off the top of my head I would definitely say, (in no specific order):

Manu Ginobili
Larry Johnson (Knicks days)
Robert Horry
Dennis Rodman (Bulls days)
Mario Chalmers
Lamar Odom
Andre Iguodala
Tayshaun Prince
Bill Walton
Danny Ainge
Dan Majerle
Byron Scott
Michael Cooper

ImKobe
04-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Robert Horry, even though he missed like every 3 & cost us the Spurs series in 2003.

imdaman99
04-14-2020, 12:57 PM
John Starks. As a matter of fact, he is my favorite player of all time and it's a shame all he's remembered for is his damn 2-18 game 7.

SouBeachTalents
04-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Robert Horry, even though he missed like every 3 & cost us the Spurs series in 2003.
I think '02 kinda makes up for that

SouBeachTalents
04-14-2020, 12:59 PM
John Starks. As a matter of fact, he is my favorite player of all time and it's a shame all he's remembered for is his damn 2-18 game 7.
What's crazy to me is, he's a Hakeem fingertip away from potentially hitting a Finals winning 3 and becoming a New York sports legend forever. Instead, he gets blocked, and is now most remembered for the WOAT Game 7 :lol Just crazy how narrow the margins between hero and goat are

Akeem34TheDream
04-14-2020, 01:00 PM
Mario Chalmers. No one else is even close. One of my favorite players period.
It must be frustrating watching everyone on the roster yelling at him in those Heat teams.

Wally450
04-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Boris Diaw & Daniel Gibson.

ImKobe
04-14-2020, 01:03 PM
I think '02 kinda makes up for that

Yup. That's why he's still my favorite role player. Sasha might be a close 2nd.

imdaman99
04-14-2020, 01:14 PM
What's crazy to me is, he's a Hakeem fingertip away from potentially hitting a Finals winning 3 and becoming a New York sports legend forever. Instead, he gets blocked, and is now most remembered for the WOAT Game 7 :lol Just crazy how narrow the margins between hero and goat are

Yep in that game 6, he was so close to NY immortality :( closest I might ever get to seeing a Knicks championship :(

I still know a few dudes that also love Starks, but the majority of Knick fans I conversate with, hate him :lol ah well

red1
04-14-2020, 03:12 PM
fred vanvleet.

he's a future star but was a role player up to now.

charles oakley.

he protected the stars but he called them out and no one could say shit to him because he was already a seasoned vet. plus he put vince carters annoying mom in her place in a classy way. called out carter when he sucked during the knicks raptors series series and we ended up coming back and winning against the sprewell knicks

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2001-nba-eastern-conference-first-round-raptors-vs-knicks.html

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/oakley-ms-carter-at-odds-1.257734

But that was before the Toronto Raptors power forward was dissed on North American television by Michelle Carter, Vince's mother.

The outspoken Oakley drew Michelle Carter's ire Tuesday when he said Vince Carter had to stand up and be a man, and stop deflecting criticism regarding his lacklustre playoff performance against the New York Knicks.

An irate Michelle Carter pointed the finger right back at Oakley in a courtside interview with TNT.

"Those who did the talking were't doing too much on the court," she said.

Vince Carter, who was shooting 31 per cent and averaging 18.3 points through Toronto's first three contests, responded on the court with a 32-point outburst to lead the Raptors to a series-tying 100-93 win over New York.

Holding court with reporters crammed at the exit of the Raptors' practice facility at the Air Canada Centre, the six-foot-five, 245-pound Oakley could only shake his head Thursday.

"Like I've said, the league is not like it used to be," Oakley said. "I've been around 16 years and never seen it.

"No matter what his mother said, I don't have a beef with her, but I guess she has a beef with me because I said something not negative about her son, it was all about what he had (to do in playoffs)."

Oakley, who was 2-for-6 on Wednesday, fired back after the game, saying Carter's mother was trying to coach the Raptors.

Oakley diplomatically refrained from again calling Michelle Carter a coach Thursday, but did take a jab at her by saying he can't shoot more because its not his job to take 30 shots each game.

"I shoot five or six times, go out and play defence and make sure everything is clicking," he said. "I'm like a transmission in a car.

"You can't see me, but I make the car go."

Oakley repeated that the Raptors will go only as far in the playoffs as Carter takes them.

"You know it, it's still going to be on Vince," Oakley said. "I'm not shying away from it.

"He's the captain of the plane..."

red1
04-14-2020, 03:12 PM
FYI carter left the team before 7 of the 2001 series with the raptors and sixers to fly to UNC and go to his graduation - oakley thinks if carter was focused on the game we could've won the series (and potentially made the finals, sixers were the 1st seed that year and we came 1 point of beating them in game 7. every other game was close)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/charles-oakley-raptors-won-vince-carter-didnt-attend-graduation/

Charles Oakley believes the Toronto Raptors would have emerged victorious in Game 7 of the 2001 Eastern Conference semifinals if then-teammate Vince Carter didn’t attend his college graduation ceremony that day.

“No doubt,” Oakley said during a guest appearance on Tim and Sid Friday afternoon. “Hands down.”

Carter travelled to North Carolina prior to Game 7, then back to Philadelphia for the evening game against Allen Iverson and the 76ers. He finished the game with just 20 points and missed a last-second desperation jumper as the Raptors fell 88-87.

It was, to that point, the most important contest in Raptors history and Carter faced much scrutiny in the days that followed.

Oakley, in Toronto this week for the Tournament of Stars, a celebrity basketball tournament in support of West Park Healthcare Centre, says the team found out at the “last minute” that Carter would be attending his graduation.

When asked if Raptors players protested to management, Oakley said: “No. He’s still our brother. It was important to him and his life … He made the right decision for him, but it wasn’t a team decision.

“He came in, played a good game, but it’s like a band member off key,” added Oakley, who played with Carter for three seasons in Toronto. “You know the difference.”

Overdrive
04-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Anthony Mason
Brian Grant
Robert Horry
Derek Fisher
Horace Grant
AC Green
Brian Shaw

3ball
04-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Pippen

tpols
04-14-2020, 05:17 PM
FYI carter left the team before 7 of the 2001 series with the raptors and sixers to fly to UNC and go to his graduation - oakley thinks if carter was focused on the game we could've won the series (and potentially made the finals, sixers were the 1st seed that year and we came 1 point of beating them in game 7. every other game was close)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/charles-oakley-raptors-won-vince-carter-didnt-attend-graduation/

oakley sounds like a huge douchebag. He's even trashing pat ewing now.

bitter old angry black dude. like something out of a boondocks skit.

RRR3
04-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Pippen
Permaban time.

DoctorP
04-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Pippen
:lol

cmon, man.

LAL
04-14-2020, 05:27 PM
Pippen

Nail in the coffin :applause::oldlol:

HylianNightmare
04-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Jameer Nelson
Ish Smith

red1
04-14-2020, 08:04 PM
oakley sounds like a huge douchebag. He's even trashing pat ewing now.

bitter old angry black dude. like something out of a boondocks skit.

he's always right though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, no problem.

I'd probably believe anything he says about ewing.

red1
04-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Pippen

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f37611f3c3691a873accbb717f49e828/tenor.gif

Gougou
04-14-2020, 09:07 PM
So hard to pick but I like Danny Green and Fred during Raptors run.

Axe
04-15-2020, 04:05 AM
Stephen curry? 🤔

SamuraiSWISH
04-16-2020, 01:53 AM
John Paxson
BJ Armstrong
Cliff Livingston
Jason Caffey
Bill Kennington
Kirk Hinrich
Taj Gibson