View Full Version : Top 5 Playere All-Time based off Playoffs only

AlternativeAcc.
04-14-2020, 09:04 AM
1. LeBron
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Shaq
5. Russell

Is this what the real top 5 should look like?

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Whats your criteria? You cant rank players if you dont have criteria/standard.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Whats your criteria? You cant rank players if you dont have criteria/standard.

how good they were, i think.

or what are you refering to?

Axe
04-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Rofl not even the great hof jerry west is on this list. What a big joke. 😂

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:17 AM

or what are you refering to? We cant just rank players based on our bias. We have to judge players using objectivity or using facts. If we saying that who is the best scorer (PPG) of all time in the Playoffs then it would be MJ. You see what Im getting at???

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:22 AM

or what are you refering to? Another example would be: Who won the most in the Playoffs/Finals (FMVP)?

That would be MJ also.

AlternativeAcc.
04-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Another example would be: Who won the most in the Playoffs/Finals?

That would be MJ also.

That definitely WOULD NOT be Jordan. Not even close.

The criteria need not be explained, because the criteria is simple

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:29 AM

The criteria need not be explained, because the criteria is simple Whats your criteria? It needs to be specific, not general.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:29 AM
We cant just rank players based on our bias. We have to judge players using objectivity or using facts. If we saying that who is the best scorer (PPG) of all time in the Playoffs then it would be MJ. You see what Im getting at???

No, I don't see what you are getting at.

The best scorer is not determined by ppg, either.

What is your criteria?

No one uses a specific criteria because it would only show a limited picture.

Something so big and complex such as basketball requires more than a set in stone criteria.

Open your gaze, young padawan.

Tell us your "criteria"

AlternativeAcc.
04-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Whats your criteria? It needs to be specific, not general.

Players arent judged off excel spreadsheets. The criteria is a combination of everything

Put the calculator down little guy

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:31 AM

The criteria need not be explained, because the criteria is simple Or if we are talking about # of rings accumulated it would be Bill Russell.
B

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:32 AM
Players arent judged off excel spreadsheets. The criteria is a combination of everything

Put the calculator down little guy

this.

Turbo is just a confused young man though.

Reminds me of myself.

Tried to know so much but didnt know jack shit yet.

All that "i need a specific critieria otherwise your opinion is baseless" shit

thats me 10 years ago

I wish him well on his journey

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:33 AM
this.

Reminds me of myself.

thats me 10 years ago

I wish him well on his journey :roll: :cheers: Good point.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:33 AM
Another example would be: Who won the most in the Playoffs/Finals (FMVP)?

That would be MJ also.

Or if we are talking about # of rings accumulated it would be Bill Russell.
B

You are contradicting yourself.

Also these materialistic additions stand in no relation to measuring player vs player.

Axe
04-14-2020, 09:34 AM

The criteria need not be explained, because the criteria is simple
Sure, jordan is not going to be in your book. He's simply too much of a scoundrel for you typical bran stans to consider him as one.

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:37 AM
My rankings:

1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
4. Magic
5. Shaq

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:41 AM
You are contradicting yourself.

Also these materialistic additions stand in no relation to measuring player vs player. I think that FMVPS and rings matter though. It shows winning to extent at least. But rings shouldnt be weighted heavily to rank players in the GOAT debate.

I believe theres should be 2 different debates. BOAT (Best of all time) and GOAT (Greatest of alltime).

BOAT should factor in impact and stats while the GOAT debate should factor in winning and legacy etc...

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:46 AM
I think that FMVPS and rings matter though. It shows winning to extent.

I believe theres should be 2 different debates. BOAT (Best of all time) and GOAT (Greatest of alltime).

BOAT should factor in impact and stats while the GOAT debate should factor in winning and legacy etc...

No, if winning does not entail level of play then it should not be used ever.

If it entails level of play, then it should be a factor always.

The only sensible distinction is "best" based on a selective time span of "prime", so a player could be better than another, but the other kept a reasonable level for a longer time (longevity), which wouldn't make him better if you follow the general definition of the word, but greater.

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 09:55 AM
No, if winning does not entail level of play then it should not be used ever.

If it entails level of play, then it should be a factor always.

The only sensible distinction is "best" based on a selective time span of "prime", so a player could be better than another, but the other kept a reasonable level for a longer time (longevity), which wouldn't make him better if you follow the general definition of the word, but greater. I dont know tbh.

I always value longevity over peak slightly b/c it shows that X player can win for that team for longer span of times and give them a higher chance of winning.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 09:57 AM
I dont know tbh.

I always value longevity over peak slightly b/c it shows that X player can win for that team for longer span of times and give them a higher chance of winning.

I didnt mean to consider peak. Peak is usually 1-2 seasons.

I more so meant prime, which i definitely value over another player with a worse prime but say 2-3 seasons longer of being an all star but nothing more.

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 10:02 AM
I didnt mean to consider peak. Peak is usually 1-2 seasons.

I more so meant prime, which i definitely value over another player with a worse prime but say 2-3 seasons longer of being an all star but nothing more.

For example lets dive into longevity of MJ and LeBron.

LeBron made 15 all nba teams while Jordan only made 11 all nba teams.

LeBron longevity is better than Jordan by a notch, a bit.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 10:07 AM
For example lets dive into longevity of MJ and LeBron.

LeBron made 15 all nba teams while Jordan only made 11 all nba teams.

LeBron longevity is better than Jordan by a notch, a bit.

Useless example because both played at similar level during their best only LeBron did it longer, much longer.

Hence one can only come away with the conclusion of LeBron being better.

A better example would be Wade.

Short prime where after 7 years he was nothing more than a borderline all star player, but for 5-6 years before was a legitimate 1st option for title contending teams.

How do you stack that up against Chris Paul, who was a superstar of that kind for 2-3 seasons, but an All-NBA level player for almost twice as long.

SouBeachTalents
04-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Useless example because both played at similar level during their best only LeBron did it longer, much longer..
How many players you think reached LeBron/Jordan's level of play?

Would you put dudes like Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Wilt at that level?

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2020, 10:18 AM

For sure.

What MJ did for 5 seasons (89-93), LeBron for 7 (09, 12-14, 16-18), Shaq did for 3-4 (98, 00-01), Hakeem for 2-3 (93-95), Kareem for about 3 (74, 77, 80), Wilt for a couple years as well, mainly around 67, hard to say with his earlier years being scoring explosions on bad teams and so-so playoff losses.

Those are the most dominant players ever right there.

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Useless example because both played at similar level during their best only LeBron did it longer, much longer.

Hence one can only come away with the conclusion of LeBron being better.

A better example would be Wade.

Short prime where after 7 years he was nothing more than a borderline all star player, but for 5-6 years before was a legitimate 1st option for title contending teams.

How do you stack that up against Chris Paul, who was a superstar of that kind for 2-3 seasons, but an All-NBA level player for almost twice as long. Interesting article...

https://fansided.com/2017/10/19/nylon-calculus-championship-odds-short-lived-megastars-corp/

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 10:23 AM
I pick CP3 over D wade right now. I can change my mind later based on facts and the opinions of you guys.

Turbo Slayer
04-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Wades longevity hurts him and therefore Paul is better.

FromDowntown
04-14-2020, 10:18 PM
easy

https://i.postimg.cc/sxMmNfvP/top-5-score.png

FromDowntown
04-14-2020, 10:20 PM

Trolling aside, of course not. No one is even close to LBJ and then MJ.

LBJ has every record and if he doesn't then little Mikey isn't far behind at #2 in some spots but in others it's nearly impossible to ever match what LBJ did during the playoffs.

2018 alone, just literally one of his playoff years has more records than any player career. Let me bump that thread one sec.

RRR3
04-14-2020, 10:48 PM
For sure.

What MJ did for 5 seasons (89-93), LeBron for 7 (09, 12-14, 16-18), Shaq did for 3-4 (98, 00-01), Hakeem for 2-3 (93-95), Kareem for about 3 (74, 77, 80), Wilt for a couple years as well, mainly around 67, hard to say with his earlier years being scoring explosions on bad teams and so-so playoff losses.

Those are the most dominant players ever right there.
Leaving off Kareem's title run in Milwaukee. Dafuq?

Axe
04-14-2020, 10:52 PM
easy

https://i.postimg.cc/sxMmNfvP/top-5-score.png
Lol care to tell us what scoring is all about when you can't win them all?

ArbitraryWater
04-16-2020, 07:29 AM
Leaving off Kareem's title run in Milwaukee. Dafuq?

You wouldn't understand, bub.

Turbo Slayer
04-16-2020, 07:34 AM
easy

https://i.postimg.cc/sxMmNfvP/top-5-score.png Again, total playoff points does not determine who is the best player in the Playoffs. While total playoff points can indicate playoff dominance in a era it shouldnt be weighted seriously.

Players this days have the luxury of more playoffs game while earlier alltime greats had the disadvantage of fewer playoff games. So your point is null.

SamuraiSWISH
04-16-2020, 07:35 AM
this.

Reminds me of myself.

thats me 10 years ago

I wish him well on his journey
You still have the same lack of knowledge that you did in 2011 when you finally started watching basketball, while you were snitching on classmates who bullied and kicked your ass in classroom.

Turbo Slayer
04-16-2020, 07:37 AM
You still have the same lack of knowledge that you did in 2011 when you finally started watching basketball, while you were snitching on classmates who bullied and kicked your ass in classroom. Damn. :oldlol:

Mean.

Axe
04-16-2020, 07:41 AM
You still have the same lack of knowledge that you did in 2011 when you finally started watching basketball, while you were snitching on classmates who bullied and kicked your ass in classroom.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/u0LxmF9QVeDoQ/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a7caa0697591039f9969620966def a3b32c025d3a&rid=giphy.gif

ArbitraryWater
04-16-2020, 07:58 AM

finally? nikka i made it young in 2010.

try finding any other 13-year old kids getting up at night to watch NBA regular season games in germany or any other foreign country and then go back to sleep for an hr.

thats passion.

no one with that passion and love for the game could ever end up anything other than a hit like me.

now im owning dumbass american coaches on the web for shits and giggles. cheers

DoctorP
04-16-2020, 07:58 AM
West
West
West
West
West