PDA

View Full Version : 3pt line shortened in 95, 96, 97. What effects did this have on poor shooters? Facts:

FromDowntown
04-18-2020, 02:04 PM
MJ for his career shot .327 from 3p but that is with the benefits of lil tykes line in 95, 96, 97. If you take those seasons out and only focus on the normal 12 season of his career his 3p% is...

343 for 1189

.288%

KD7
04-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Yikes even Westbrook has a higher 3 point percentage than Ordan :roll:

Best jumpshooter of all time doe :lol

Turbo Slayer
04-18-2020, 02:10 PM
No one cares...

tpols
04-18-2020, 02:12 PM
GOAT shooter.

:roll:

AirBonner
04-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Facts

Turbo Slayer
04-18-2020, 02:15 PM
:oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
04-18-2020, 02:32 PM
GOAT shooter.

:roll:

I think they meant from midrange. Or being able to get his own shot up on any severity of defense. Curry couldn't get a god damn clean look with space, with the straight jacket Kevin Love guarding him to end a game 7. 3 point shooting or range is ONE aspect of shooting.

Akeem34TheDream
04-18-2020, 02:36 PM
You wouldn't trust Jordan to tie the game if he is down by 3.

tpols
04-18-2020, 02:40 PM
I think they meant from midrange. Or being able to get his own shot up on any severity of defense. Curry couldn't get a god damn clean look with space, with the straight jacket Kevin Love guarding him to end a game 7. 3 point shooting or range is ONE aspect of shooting.

Shooting and scoring are different things.

Jordan is the GOAT scorer (and player) because he incorporated elite shooting in specific pockets, with his dominant athleticism and finishing ability.. which was the best part of his game.

He was a scorer first and a shooter second. The man has nowhere near the accuracy long range or even shooting a simply free throw... which is the most basic "shooting" aspect of basketball.

sdot_thadon
04-18-2020, 02:47 PM

Jordan is the GOAT scorer (and player) because he incorporated elite shooting in specific pockets, with his dominant athleticism and finishing ability.. which was the best part of his game.

He was a scorer first and a shooter second. The man has nowhere near the accuracy long range or even shooting a simply free throw... which is the most basic "shooting" aspect of basketball.

truth.

FromDowntown
04-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Giannis is a career .285% 3p shooter and shot .306% last season

let in sink in deeply

Turbo Slayer
04-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Let´s compare MJ´s best seasons shooting threes to Curry´s worst seasons shooting threes.........

Michael Jordan

1992, 1995, 1996, and 1997

3P% 41 percent

3PA: 4 threes attempted....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Compare that to Curry´s worst seasons........

Stephen Curry

2009-2013

3P% 45 percent

3PA: 8 threes attempted....

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html

Curry is the better shooter and its not even close......and I am not even including Curry´s best seasons shooting the 3 ball.......

NOTE: I used per 100 possessions.

FromDowntown
04-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Let´s compare MJ´s best seasons shooting threes to Curry´s worst seasons shooting threes.........

Michael Jordan

1992, 1995, 1996, and 1997

3P% 41 percent

3PA: 4 threes attempted....

Compare that to Curry´s worst seasons........

Stephen Curry

2009-2013

3P% 45 percent

3PA: 8 threes attempted....

Curry is the better shooter and its not even close......
And you are even giving MJ the WNBA 3 point line seasons too. what a nice fellow you are

Mamba4Life
04-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Does MJ have any gamewinners from 3? Doesn anyone know??

3ball??

colts19
04-18-2020, 03:29 PM
Come on guys. Context matters. In this spread court no defense era, Curry shoots 3's better because that is all he does for the most part. He is allowed to shoot 3's all game and they do everything they can to get him open shots. During MJ era that stuff just didn't happen. It was a drive to the basket with three guys waiting for you or a take mid range jump shot league. Curry would never have been allowed to fire up 3's all game long back then. Let's at least try to be fair.

3ball
04-18-2020, 03:34 PM
Does MJ have any gamewinners from 3? Doesn anyone know??

3ball??
He has numerous

3ball
04-18-2020, 03:37 PM
MJ's three-point percentage was hurt by his wizards years and also 1998 (getting used to the further line again)

I'm sure his percentage is decent without those years

And he was accurate when it mattered - 35.2% on 2.1 attempts in the 85-93' Playoffs

And he shot 40% on 4 attempts for entire 93' Playoffs - so he's already won championships while shooting at today's standard - he showed he can do it (and do it easily/naturally without focusing on it), while guys like Giannis are beginners by comparison

all this WITHOUT PRACTICE and infact not respecting the shot at all

LostCause
04-18-2020, 03:50 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jordan’s FT shooting criticized, which he’s at 84% for his career.

Mamba4Life
04-18-2020, 03:54 PM
He has numerous

Can you show me??

3ball
04-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Can you show me??

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2015/olpEnW.gif

Notice the elevation

If MJ played today, he would be the best 3-point shooter in the league maybe all-time.. and his elevation would make him the best contested 3-pt shooter ever

I base this on his goat mid-range touch, goat form, and goat competitiveness/drive

RRR3
04-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Notice the elevation

If MJ played today, he would be the best 3-point shooter in the league maybe all-time

I base this on his goat mid-range touch, goat form, and goat competitiveness/drive
:roll: :roll: :roll:

3ball
04-18-2020, 04:07 PM
U just don't know goat shooting form when you see it

MJ has the best shooting form in history

Fitting for the goat

Mamba4Life
04-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Notice the elevation

If MJ played today, he would be the best 3-point shooter in the league maybe all-time.. and his elevation would make him the best contested 3-pt shooter ever

Show me the 3 point gamewinners

tpols
04-18-2020, 04:09 PM

im usually a supporter of the guys ideas but man.....

28% from the regular line. A big jump dependant, line drive shot... just from a physics perspective, it's impossible. He never had the arc.

Bird, Dirk, and Curry used to kiss the sky on their 3's.

3ball
04-18-2020, 04:18 PM
im usually a supporter of the guys ideas but man.....

28% from the regular line. A big jump dependant, line drive shot... just from a physics perspective, it's impossible. He never had the arc.

Bird, Dirk, and Curry used to kiss the sky on their 3's.
MJ had great arc on his 3-point shot

He wasn't jumping 3 feet in the air on his threes like he was on mid-range - you're conflating the two

You're just lying because you think you have an argument by saying he jumped high on his jumpers - but he didn't on his threes and had great arc and rotation - watch any game tape - I'll post the threes from the Portland series where the arc was perfect - again, you're lying and the tape proves it easily

And previous era 3-point percentages are irrelevant.. MJ is a better shooter than Curry because:

far better mid-range jumpshot, far better contested jumpshot, far better form, far more jumpshooting volume

and he'd have comparable 3-point numbers in today's 3-point-jacking era where he'd take 10+ threes a game

That means he was a superior shooter

KD7
04-18-2020, 04:26 PM

Fitting for the goat

How come MJ never shot 90% from the free throw line, the easiest shot in basketball :confusedshrug:

3ball
04-18-2020, 04:34 PM
How come MJ never shot 90% from the free throw line, the easiest shot in basketball :confusedshrug:
85% is pretty good for a goat athlete and better than most guys that are considered better shooters than mj

His FT percentage is actually an indication that MJ would be a great 3-point shooter today

People just aren't looking at the facts - MJ took less than 1.5 attempts for most of his career - ANYTIME he took more than that he shot well...

His low volume meant that he rarely got going - but the games he got going and took high volume, his threes looked like FT's - he was shooting them SO easy because his form was goat.. In today's era, he'd be required to jack threes and get into a rhythm each game, so he'd be getting hot from 3 every game just like he did from mid-range

SamuraiSWISH
04-18-2020, 04:45 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2015/olpEnW.gif

Notice the elevation

That is 30+ footer too. Shot with ease.

tpols
04-18-2020, 04:49 PM

Fitting for the goat

Too line drive.

28%.

Those are the facts unfortunately.

3ball
04-18-2020, 04:56 PM
Too line drive.

28%.

Those are the facts unfortunately.
Unfortunately for you, most of that 28% is with no volume

Anytime he had volume, he shot well... Just naturally.. without practicing

His low volume meant that he rarely got going - but his threes looked like FT's in games he got going and took high volume - he was shooting them SO easy because his form was goat.. In today's era, he'd be required to jack threes and get into a rhythm each game, so he'd be getting hot from 3 every game just like he did from mid-range

FromDowntown
04-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately for you, most of that 28% is with no volume

Anytime he had volume, he shot well... Just naturally.. without practicing

His low volume meant that he rarely got going - but his threes looked like FT's in games he got going and took high volume - he was shooting them SO easy because his form was goat.. In today's era, he'd be required to jack threes and get into a rhythm each game, so he'd be getting hot from 3 every game just like he did from mid-range

no volume? Imagine 1200 attempts = no volume :lol

3ball
04-19-2020, 05:17 AM
Too line drive.

Is that good enough arc for you

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-19-2020/taPOnZ.gif

Or look at his shrug shot in the 92' Finals - goat form, rotation, and arc

Those are the facts unfortunately

Uncle Drew
04-19-2020, 05:20 AM
Notice the elevation

3ball
04-19-2020, 05:23 AM
When he got going, his threes looked like FT's.. and goat form

But he rarely took volume back then

In today's game, he'd be asked to shoot 10+ a game.. he'd easily make 4 lol

tpols
04-19-2020, 08:30 AM
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jordan’s FT shooting criticized, which he’s at 84% for his career.

right, very good but not close to GOAT.

there are many players who have shot 90+%.

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 09:07 AM

And yet Lebron has never hit 80% and has 4 seasons shooting under 70%. Dumb comments eventually circle back to bite you in the ass, Manny.

KD7
04-19-2020, 09:11 AM
And yet Lebron has never hit 80% and has 4 seasons shooting under 70%. Dumb comments eventually circle back to bite you in the ass, Manny.
I'm not the one trying to claim that LeBron is the best shooter of all time tho :lol

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 09:13 AM
I'm not the one trying to claim that LeBron is the best shooter of all time tho :lol

Doesn't matter. Your comment on it's own merits is retarded given the guy who stan falls far short of the metric you applied here. You were hoping nobody would pick up on the obvious double standard.

Don't moonwalk out of it, just accept it was a dumb comment and go about your day.

KD7
04-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Doesn't matter. Your comment on it's own merits is retarded given the guy who stan falls far short of the metric you applied here. You were hoping nobody would pick up on the obvious double standard.

Don't moonwalk out of it, just accept it was a dumb comment and go about your day.

Df are you talking about, 3ball is the one trying to claim that MJ is the greatest shooter ever so I questioned why he never shot 90% from the free throw line which is the easiest shot in basketball.

Not everything is about LeBron you know :lol

KD7
04-19-2020, 09:31 AM
85% is pretty good for a goat athlete and better than most guys that are considered better shooters than mj

His FT percentage is actually an indication that MJ would be a great 3-point shooter today

People just aren't looking at the facts - MJ took less than 1.5 attempts for most of his career - ANYTIME he took more than that he shot well...

His low volume meant that he rarely got going - but the games he got going and took high volume, his threes looked like FT's - he was shooting them SO easy because his form was goat.. In today's era, he'd be required to jack threes and get into a rhythm each game, so he'd be getting hot from 3 every game just like he did from mid-range
Not really see DeMar DeRozan who is a 85% free throw and is elite from mid range just like your boy but is awful at 3 point range

MJ just doesn't posses the ability to hit consistently from beyond 20ft

KD7
04-19-2020, 09:33 AM
When he got going, his threes looked like FT's.. and goat form

But he rarely took volume back then

In today's game, he'd be asked to shoot 10+ a game.. he'd easily make 4 lol

Anyone can get hot from 3 every now and then, even Westbrook had a couple of games where he went 7/7 from 3

FromDowntown
04-19-2020, 11:36 AM

Gottem

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Df are you talking about, 3ball is the one trying to claim that MJ is the greatest shooter ever so I questioned why he never shot 90% from the free throw line which is the easiest shot in basketball.

Not everything is about LeBron you know :lol

I don't care what 3ball is saying. I'm asking YOU what leverage does a Lebron troll have to make a comment about free throw shooting being the easiest shot in the world given his own %s. It would be like me being a Tmac stan and making fun of someone who can't get past the 2nd round.

FromDowntown
04-19-2020, 12:04 PM
I don't care what 3ball is saying. I'm asking YOU what leverage does a Lebron troll have to make a comment about free throw shooting being the easiest shot in the world given his own %s. It would be like me being a Tmac stan and making fun of someone who can't get past the 2nd round.

Point us to LeBron fans saying he is the goat shooter and you have a point...

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Point us to LeBron fans saying he is the goat shooter and you have a point...

My point stands fine the way it is, wheels.

KD7
04-19-2020, 12:15 PM
LEBRON!!! :cry::rant
Again I fail to see what LeBron or me being a stan has to do with this discussion :oldlol:

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Again I fail to see what LeBron or me being a stan has to do with this discussion :oldlol:

So this is the white flag reply? I asked why can't Lebron hit 90% if it's the easiest shot? Let's not act like Lebron doesn't make his way into most discussions here either intentionally or incidentally, so you can either answer the question, or continue with the non-answer replies. It has everything to do with being a stan, something about glass houses and stones. So, address my question or STFU. Fairly easy choices.

KD7
04-19-2020, 12:24 PM
So this is the white flag reply? I asked why can't Lebron hit 90% if it's the easiest shot? Let's not act like Lebron doesn't make his way into most discussions here either intentionally or incidentally, so you can either answer the question, or continue with the non-answer replies. It has everything to do with being a stan, something about glass houses and stones. So, address my question or STFU. Fairly easy choices.
I don't even know what you're trying to argue because I have never claimed LeBron to be a elite shooter once in this thread :oldlol:

Your basically arguing with yourself right now

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 12:29 PM
I don't even know what you're trying to argue because I have never claimed LeBron to be a elite shooter once in this thread :oldlol:

Your basically arguing with yourself right now

It's hilarious to see a stan making a comment about free throw shooting being the easiest shot while their guy hits just above 70%, and being too dumb to not see the irony. I don't really care what Lebron shoots.... you just aren't the messenger for that kind of comment.

This is also a non-response to my question. I'm not arguing period. I asked a question and you aren't answering it.

Turbo Slayer
04-19-2020, 12:33 PM
LeBron has been a inconsistent FT shooter his whole career.... He never shot above or equal to 80%.....

The main problem is that he never sticked to one consistent free throw routine his whole career. In fact in 2017 and 2018 he had over 18 different FT routines..

warriorfan
04-19-2020, 12:36 PM
It's hilarious to see a stan making a comment about free throw shooting being the easiest shot while their guy hits just above 70%, and being too dumb to not see the irony. I don't really care what Lebron shoots.... you just aren't the messenger for that kind of comment.

This is also a non-response to my question. I'm not arguing period. I asked a question and you aren't answering it.

At least it looks like they have finally conceded on their insane LeBron is a better shooter than Jordan agenda

KD7
04-19-2020, 12:40 PM

For the third time did I ever claim that LeBron is a great shooter?

Turbo Slayer
04-19-2020, 12:42 PM
LeBron has been a inconsistent FT shooter his whole career.... He never shot above or equal to 80%.....

The main problem is that he never sticked to one consistent free throw routine his whole career. In fact in 2017 and 2018 he had over 18 different FT routines..

However to give credit to LeBron he has improved his FT% by 5 percent before the NBA was suspended........

In March........

He shot 75% from the FT line which is a sign of improvement from past seasons/months.......

Phoenix
04-19-2020, 12:45 PM
For the third time did I ever claim that LeBron is a great shooter?

This is a non-reply to my question.

Turbo Slayer
04-19-2020, 12:54 PM
At least it looks like they have finally conceded on their insane LeBron is a better shooter than Jordan agenda

LeBron is the better 3 point shooter than Michael Jordan. Not even close.....

LeBron James

3P%- 34

3PA (Career)- 4.3

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

Michael Jordan

3P%- 33

3PA (Career)- 1.7

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Based on the data, the conclusion is that LeBron is a better 3 point shooter than Michael Jordan since the data states that LeBron shot more efficiently and shot with more volume.............

LeBron never shot below 30% on threes except his rookie year too......

KD7
04-19-2020, 12:56 PM
Phoenix - why can't LeBron hit 90% from the free throw line

Manny - because he's not a great shooter, i never claimed that he was

Phoenix - you didn't answer my question :mad::rant

lol

FireDavidKahn
04-19-2020, 01:04 PM
MJ for his career shot .327 from 3p but that is with the benefits of lil tykes line in 95, 96, 97. If you take those seasons out and only focus on the normal 12 season of his career his 3p% is...

343 for 1189

.288%

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6EhNnoVpx2LbfVnO/giphy.gif

FireDavidKahn
04-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Yikes even Westbrook has a higher 3 point percentage than Ordan :roll:

Best jumpshooter of all time doe :lol

"When he tries he is good at it"

Argument from Jordanphiles:roll:

jstern
04-19-2020, 02:29 PM
Right on cue, as I'm reading this thread I'm listening to a KD interview and he's saying that Michael Jordan is one of the top 5 shooters of all time.

https://youtu.be/GXrzZmJgzbs?t=187

Micheal is the GOAT mid range player, and one of the best mid range shooters of all time. Just look at the 2nd 3peat Jordan, the rate at he was hitting them, and the type of shots he was taking as the opposing team defenses were so determined in trying to stop him.

You have to put Jordan's 3 point shooter into context. In the 80s he was shooting like 40 to like 90 3 pointers per season, with a high percentage of them being bailout 3 pointers. Shooting over 37% the first year that he incorporated it as a part of his game. (The same with Bird who's a more talented shooter than the vast majority of players in NBA history, the fewer 3s he took, the worse his percentage, the worse his rythm, the higher percentages of his 3s would be beail out shots at the end of the clock.)

Remember also that after the 98 season Jordan almost cut off his finger, affecting his shooting, and permanently sticking out. Specially as a Wizard.

LeCroix
04-19-2020, 03:11 PM
Its only three years so no one cares really

if the league shot threes more then MJ would focus on them more. he was a good range shooter