PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee's historic defense, and why Giannis should be MVP AND DPOY

LostCause
04-18-2020, 02:08 PM
It's unfortunate the season was interrupted as it was, because we were very likely on pace to have the first player win the MVP and DPOY since Hakeem Olajuwon almost 30 years ago. With all the great seasons we've had recently, this one was on pace to be the greatest when taking into account offense and defense that we've seen in ages

I won't make the argument for Giannis winning MVP. His impact on both ends and having the best team in the league speaks for itself. As do his statistics. However I will talk about Milwaukee's historic defense that he anchored

In past discussions I've cited rDRTG to illustrate dominance of a defense across era's. If you don't know what it is, it's Relative Defensive Rating. Basically you take the Defensive Rating of a team and compare it to league average that season, so you get a clear picture of how dominant a defense was against every other team in the league. The closer to 0 a teams rDRTG is, the closer to league average that team is. Make sense? So up to the suspension of the season, the Bucks were sitting at an rDRTG of -8.5. In NBA history, only 8 other teams accomplished the feat of having an rDRTG of -8.0 or higher. Bill Russell's Celtics took 4 spots (With some of them being a ridiculously -10 rDRTG) and the other 4 are KG's 08 Celtics (-8.6), Duncan's 04 Spurs (-8.8), and Ewings 93 (-8.3) and 94 Knicks (-8.1). Here's an image reflecting this in the 3-pt Era (It also includes teams that came close to -8.0 like the 14 Pacers (-7.4). The 04 Pistons were at -7.5, btw

https://i.ibb.co/4WB9j3P/MSUBUmJ.png

The anchor of this historic Bucks defense? Giannis. He holds players to 41.8% shooting at the rim, which is the best in the league
https://stats.nba.com/players/defensive-impact/?sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1&CF=DEF_RIM_FGA*GE*3

If that wasn't enough, he also has the league best DFG%, holding opponents he guards to 36.1%
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-overall/?sort=D_FG_PCT&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&CF=D_FGA*GE*500

He's arguably the league's best defender in isolation
https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TypeGrouping=defensive&sort=PERCENTILE&dir=1&PerMode=Totals

It's a level of defensive domination we haven't really seen in a long time. Couple that with his efforts actually spearheading a historically great defense AND his contributions on the other side of the ball and there's little argument against him being deserving of both MVP and DPOY this season, joining extremely rare company with the feat

Thoughts?

Turbo Slayer
04-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Giannis deserves to be MVP. No question about it.

Akeem34TheDream
04-18-2020, 02:23 PM
I agree with OP. He deserved both awards. Winning both DPOY and MVP in same year is done by only two players. But also winning FMVP that year? Now thats some GOAT shit.

warriorfan
04-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Deserves MVP hands down.

One thing to take note of though. I noticed when you compared the bucks at -8.0 to the 04 pistons at -7.5

The league average was much lower in 04, so it was more difficult to get point separation if that makes sense

So the league average in 04 was 93 points, in 20 it was 111. About a 20 percent difference

So applying that to the 04 Pistons, bump up their -7.5 defensive differential by 20 percent which gives the Pistons a rating of -9.0 when normalized to the 2020 season

Axe
04-18-2020, 07:33 PM
If only the season wasn't suspended, the bucks could have gone 67-15 in the regular season.

LostCause
05-09-2020, 09:33 PM
With the season possibly being resumed thought I'd bump this

Hopefully Giannis and the Bucks can pick up where they left off. Love to see history being made

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-09-2020, 09:52 PM
Originally had Lebron as MVP but this is informative. Appreciate the info.

Axe
05-10-2020, 03:23 AM
With the season possibly being resumed thought I'd bump this

Hopefully Giannis and the Bucks can pick up where they left off. Love to see history being made
Agreed