PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be another Michael Jordan?

Walk on Water
04-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Been watching The Last Dance and it shows me that no other player may ever reach Jordan’s legacy. Their manager wanted to tear them down because he got jealous. Plus Jordan played baseball in the middle of his prime.

I don’t think we’ll ever get another Jordan at the shooting guard or forward position. But give Kobe credit because he was like a version of a Jordan. Leonard will never have the longevity or the productivity. We’ve seen many other good players in recent history such at Dywayne Wade, Steph Curry, Harden, and Durant.

KD was considered the best player over the last couple of years both in the regular season and postseason but he didn’t have the impact of Curry and got outscored by Curry in the seasons they played together. The point is neither of them are Jordan, so let’s not make this about the Warriors.

Harden scored a lot this year, but he has no rings.

Dirk Nowitski deserves some credit for taking down a big 3, but he only has one ring.

I can’t think of anyone else in recent history that can compare to Jordan, but I’m convinced Jordan could have won more than 6. Even with all the adversity and playing baseball, Jordan came threw. Got his own manager jealous.

You do have to give credit to Magic though, he won 5 rings. Definitely better than any point guard today. He was averaging 12-14 assists. And Kareem won a bunch too, except he’s a center so hard to compare. Bird was good and definitely better than any forwards of today.

Jordan was just too good. No matter how much you tried to stop him, he won 6 times. Can you imagine that? His manager told his coach that even if he went 82-0 he was out.

I don’t feel like the NFL has a Michael Jordan. The MLB doesn’t really. They had Babe Ruth and then Bonds but Bonds was never respected. Tiger Woods was the Jordan of golf. I just don’t think the NBA will ever get another Jordan in terms of talent, scoring, defense, winning and legacy.

warriorfan
04-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Op reminds me of MJ

Axe
04-20-2020, 09:15 PM
He has many haters across the boards.

FromDowntown
04-20-2020, 09:16 PM

Im waiting for a challenger to pass it.

Lemme know

DoctorP
04-20-2020, 09:43 PM
im sure there will be a greater baller. someone with the psycho hunger, skills and athleticism combo that Jordan possessed

L8krH8tr
04-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Of course not. Even steroid Human Growth Hormone injected Kobe/ LeFraud couldn't match expectations to reach MJ..

FreezingTsmoove
04-20-2020, 09:50 PM
The australian PG in this years draft reminds me a lot of MJ

3ball
04-20-2020, 09:59 PM
Imagine if MJ was standing there in that Bulls uniform with his goat physique/build....... but he was 6'8" instead of 6'6".... :eek:

That's just a random thought I had

Regarding the topic - the next goat will be the player that imitates MJ like Kobe, but has superior athleticism.. MJ played optimally - you must use his moves and approach, but apply them better... Kobe did occasionally but not enough

DoctorP
04-20-2020, 10:03 PM
Imagine if MJ was standing there in that Bulls uniform with his goat physique/build....... but he was 6'8" instead of 6'6".... :eek:

That's just a random thought I had

Regarding the topic - the next goat will be the player that imitates MJ like Kobe, but has superior athleticism.. MJ played optimally - you must use his moves and approach, but apply them better... Kobe did occasionally but not enough

Im thinking the next GOAT has the killer clutch instinct of Jordan, the height of LeBron, the speed and hands of Jordan, and the shooting range of a Curry.

Similar to Durant, perhaps but a little shorter and stronger with an insane competitive edge

3ball
04-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Im thinking the next GOAT has the killer clutch instinct of Jordan, the height of LeBron, the speed and hands of Jordan, and the shooting range of a Curry.

Similar to Durant, perhaps but a little shorter and stronger with an insane competitive edge
The reality is that it's really hard to have a sophisticated handle like say, harden, AND have great power going up with the ball the way you would from the triple-threat or drop-step, like MJ.... It's harder to generate good momentum and up towards the rim off of complicated dribble moves - the dribbling energy and movement makes it harder to get a good jump when it's time to do so

The next goat will be someone that combines the two - complicated handle AND power... the problem with that is that MJ would show flashes of an extra handle once in a while, or Kobe would show flashes of power. - so we've seen glimpses of the future from them already when they were at their best... if mj came up in this era, his overall combination of ball-handling moves and power could possibly be ridiculous

I do believe the next goat must have a slender physique like MJ or Kobe, but either taller or combining power and handle better then they do

3ball
04-20-2020, 10:23 PM
Then again, if the player is too ball-dominant.... They won't win.... and will probably focus on those skills over the power-oriented moves like post and triple threat footwork... So again we're back to MJ forever... Oh well

DoctorP
04-20-2020, 10:27 PM
Then again, if the player is too ball-dominant.... They won't win.... and will probably focus on those skills over the power-oriented moves like post and triple threat footwork... So again we're back to MJ forever... Oh well

the death of the midrange substantially changes the dynamic so the next jordan may have little midrange. i dont know, but it would be a damn shame.

jstern
04-20-2020, 10:33 PM
There will never be another Michael Jordan, like there will never be another Donald Trump.

3ball
04-20-2020, 10:38 PM
the death of the midrange substantially changes the dynamic so the next jordan may have little midrange. i dont know, but it would be a damn shame.
Mid-range is iso - the majority of 1-on-1 moves end in a mid-range jumper, floater, runner, hook - but often it's some form of jumper (usually a floating, fading or leaning one)

Without this improvisational aspect of the game - you don't have a game - you have a drill to see who can get the most threes and layups

Also, hoops will always have mid-range because teams shut down layups and threes, especially at the end of shot-clocks.. getting a shot in the mid-range is the only option (and only real skill in the game.. requires improvisation and contested shot)

FromDowntown
04-20-2020, 11:19 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSdTiYVR5jm9GlI65lA7jr4ZipXMZq nx3_m-1ANFIo2Z2GvB0QK&usqp=CAU

DoctorP
04-20-2020, 11:21 PM
Mid-range is iso - the majority of 1-on-1 moves end in a mid-range jumper, floater, runner, hook - but often it's some form of jumper (usually a floating, fading or leaning one)

Without this improvisational aspect of the game - you don't have a game - you have a drill to see who can get the most threes and layups

Also, hoops will always have mid-range because teams shut down layups and threes, especially at the end of shot-clocks.. getting a shot in the mid-range is the only option (and only real skill in the game.. requires improvisation and contested shot)

yeah but cats like Harden do this outside the 3 stripe, leaving the lane open for quick runs to the hoop

Harden seems to be the most adapted to the new rules and his stats show it, despite his flaws and spamming

Rysio
04-21-2020, 06:37 AM
Aside from career averages there already was another Jordan it was Kobe.

Uncle Drew
04-21-2020, 06:46 AM
DeMar DeRozan is playing at this very moment.

dbugz
04-21-2020, 06:54 AM
MJ the GOAT

KAJ
Magic
TD
Kobe
Bird
Wilt
Russel

all up there

86Celtics
04-21-2020, 07:47 AM

That would make DeRozan better than James.

Roundball_Rock
04-21-2020, 12:47 PM
We already saw MJ's clone. Kobe.

OrlandoMagicGuy
04-21-2020, 01:04 PM

Yeah DeRozan is a multiple time nba champion, multiple time league mvp,led the nba in scoring for several seasons and uhhhhh....a great man to man defender.

Vino24
04-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Yeah DeRozan is a multiple time nba champion, multiple time league mvp,led the nba in scoring for several seasons and uhhhhh....a great man to man defender.

Now we know what MJ’s career would be like without 3 dpoy candidate teammates

OrlandoMagicGuy
04-21-2020, 01:15 PM
Now we know what MJ’s career would be like without 3 dpoy candidate teammates

I don't follow

Real Men Wear Green
04-21-2020, 01:16 PM
https://i.insider.com/5a9056c2c169952e008b45e2?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

red1
04-21-2020, 02:24 PM
nah

we've already seen many hyperathletic guards maybe not as athletic but close or similar and we've already seen a few players with that level of competitiveness like kobe and bird

the combination of both though I dont think we'll get again

red1
04-21-2020, 02:25 PM
https://i.insider.com/5a9056c2c169952e008b45e2?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

:roll:

mentallooser
04-21-2020, 02:27 PM
There will always be another. The toughest job we have is comparing eras. In that way, we may not be able to recognize him if he shows up.

OrlandoMagicGuy
04-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Kobe came the closest just wasn't as good of a scorer/defender that Jordan was.Also he had smaller hands,not as athletic and a lower iq.

Uncle Drew
04-21-2020, 02:57 PM

Yes, that is exactly what DeRozan would be in the 90's.

OrlandoMagicGuy
04-21-2020, 03:15 PM
nah

we've already seen many hyperathletic guards maybe not as athletic but close or similar and we've already seen a few players with that level of competitiveness like kobe and bird

the combination of both though I dont think we'll get again

Athleticism
Jordan
Vince
LeBron

Shooting
Jordan
Bird
Durant
Kobe

Post Moves
Jordan
Kobe
Bird

Slashing
Jordan
Wade
LeBron
Rose
Iverson

Perimeter Defense
Jordan
Payton
Pippen
Kobe
Kawhi
Allen

Heart
Jordan
Kobe
Bird
Iverson

RogueBorg
04-21-2020, 03:57 PM
I'd put Olajuwon in the post moves over Bird.

OrlandoMagicGuy
04-21-2020, 04:02 PM
I'd put Olajuwon in the post moves over Bird.

Hakeem would be in that category as well but I was mostly picking guards/forwards

LostCause
04-21-2020, 04:56 PM
Athleticism
Jordan
Vince
LeBron

Shooting
Jordan
Bird
Durant
Kobe

Post Moves
Jordan
Kobe
Bird

Slashing
Jordan
Wade
LeBron
Rose
Iverson

Perimeter Defense
Jordan
Payton
Pippen
Kobe
Kawhi
Allen

Heart
Jordan
Kobe
Bird
Iverson

Can't just leave off passing lol

brownmamba00
04-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Jordan wasn't a better shooter than bird kd kobe please bra

brownmamba00
04-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Ballhandling is like a top 3 most important skill playing guard requirement. Who cares about athleticism if you can't split a pnr.