PDA

View Full Version : Best team of all time - 1983 Philly?

iamgine
04-26-2020, 11:53 PM
Ok I think Warriors with Durant is the best team of all time but after that people always talk about '96 Bulls, 00 Lakers, '86 Celtics etc.

I think it shouldn't even be close that 1983 Philly is >> all those teams.

Swept defending champion Lakers in the finals 4-0. They swept a dynasty in the finals.

MVP - Moses
All-NBA 1st - Dr J
All Defensive 1st & SMOY- Bobby Jones
All-Star - Maurice Cheeks
All-Star - Andrew Toney

When have you ever seen a team so stacked other than Durant's Warriors.

SouBeachTalents
04-26-2020, 11:54 PM
Ok I think Warriors with Durant is the best team of all time but after that people always talk about '96 Bulls, 00 Lakers, '86 Celtics etc.

This is just stupid and hyperbolic

EllEffEll
04-27-2020, 12:18 AM

Swept defending champion Lakers in the finals 4-0. They swept a dynasty in the finals.

MVP - Moses
All-NBA 1st - Dr J
All Defensive 1st & SMOY- Bobby Jones
All-Star - Maurice Cheeks
All-Star - Andrew Toney

When have you ever seen a team so stacked other than Durant's Warriors.

James Worthy broke his leg late in the 83 season (I was there), so they were not exactly at full strength. I still think Philly wins convincingly in that particular year, but not a sweep.

With that said, I do think that the 83 Sixers do deserve to be in this conversation. They dominated the league that year like they did at no other time during that run. Moses Malone was the main reason for that change.

I went to two finals games in 80 and two more in 82, so I am familiar with that matchup. 83 Sixers were on a completely different level.

Were they decidedly better than those other teams you mentioned?

I'm not prepared to go there in any way, shape, or form.

1987_Lakers
04-27-2020, 01:57 AM
That team seems to get overlooked, I think there are a few reasons for it.

- The NBA wasn't as popular in 1983 as it became in 1985 and onwards.

- Their best player Moses Malone wasn't as popular as Bird, Magic, & MJ went on to be.

- They did a piss poor job defending their title the next year and the Lakers and Celtics are the first teams you think of when you think 80's.

With that said they were very talented and won games at an all-time great level. Hard to find a team as talented as the '83 Sixers 1-5. They had 4 caliber All-Stars in the starting 5 and future HOFer Bobby Jones off the bench. I have them ranked ahead of the Bad Boy Pistons, a team that seems to be more popular by the masses. They are for sure top 10 ever, maybe top 5 at best.

Uncle Drew
04-27-2020, 02:02 AM
The Pistons also swept the defending champions and dynasty Lakers. Now what?

HoopsNY
04-27-2020, 02:03 AM
This team is up there amongst the best ever. They're consistently overlooked and I think the reason for that is that they didn't repeat or win another title after that. But man that '83 Sixers team was dominant.

HoopsNY
04-27-2020, 02:04 AM
James Worthy broke his leg late in the 83 season (I was there), so they were not exactly at full strength. I still think Philly wins convincingly in that particular year, but not a sweep.

With that said, I do think that the 83 Sixers do deserve to be in this conversation. They dominated the league that year like they did at no other time during that run. Moses Malone was the main reason for that change.

I went to two finals games in 80 and two more in 82, so I am familiar with that matchup. 83 Sixers were on a completely different level.

Were they decidedly better than those other teams you mentioned?

I'm not prepared to go there in any way, shape, or form.

I still think they get swept. The Lakers had a ton of firepower and Worthy was a rookie that year. He wasn't a starter, so I highly doubt he prevents a sweep.

Round Mound
04-27-2020, 02:22 AM
I'd go with the HEALTHY/PRIME/PEAK 85-86 Celtics.

- Peak Bird at age 30: The Best Forward (Big or Small) To Every Play The Game
- Smartest and Highest B-Ball IQ Team Ever (Lead by Bird, DJ and Walton)
- The Best Passing Team Ever
- Best Defensive Team That Year
- The Best Interior Defensive Team That Year
- One of The Best Pure Shooting Teams Ever
- If You Try Stop Bird: Then He Finds or Pick and Rolls With Parish. You Double Bird? Your Dead: He Finds the Open Man
- 1 on 1 Guy To To HEALTHY PREAK McHale (before 1987 injury he was the Best Post Player Ever)
- DJ and Ainge Great Perimeter Defenders, Passers and Shooters & Also Jerry Sichting and Wedman For Open Shots Off The Bench
- Need More Post D: Get Walton in For Inside Defense and Passing Even Gets Better
- Nothing is Working? Go To Bird For a THREE!

HEALTHY 86 CELTICS = BEST TEAM EVER

With Older Rules Where More Contact Is Allowed, Even More Dominant!

*AND YES ALOT OF WHITE PLAYERS!
*AND YES LEAD BY A BLACK COACH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIvCAsD6gY

86Celtics
04-27-2020, 05:56 AM
I'd go with the HEALTHY/PRIME/PEAK 85-86 Celtics.

- Peak Bird at age 30: The Best Forward (Big or Small) To Every Play The Game
- Smartest and Highest B-Ball IQ Team Ever (Lead by Bird, DJ and Walton)
- The Best Passing Team Ever
- Best Defensive Team That Year
- The Best Interior Defensive Team That Year
- One of The Best Pure Shooting Teams Ever
- If You Try Stop Bird: Then He Finds or Pick and Rolls With Parish. You Double Bird? Your Dead: He Finds the Open Man
- 1 on 1 Guy To To HEALTHY PREAK McHale (before 1987 injury he was the Best Post Player Ever)
- DJ and Ainge Great Perimeter Defenders, Passers and Shooters & Also Jerry Sichting and Wedman For Open Shots Off The Bench
- Need More Post D: Get Walton in For Inside Defense and Passing Even Gets Better
- Nothing is Working? Go To Bird For a THREE!

HEALTHY 86 CELTICS = BEST TEAM EVER

With Older Rules Where More Contact Is Allowed, Even More Dominant!

*AND YES ALOT OF WHITE PLAYERS!
*AND YES LEAD BY A BLACK COACH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIvCAsD6gY

Well said. Truth be told though, 1983 Sixers, 96 Bulls, 72 Lakers and a few select other team all have a case. And none of them is ">>" than the other.

trada7029
04-27-2020, 06:30 AM
22-year old Lebron made the Finals, while 22-year MJ lost in the 1st Round because only juggernauts won the East in the 80's - weak teams like the 01' Sixers, 03' Nets, 07' Cavs, or 09' Magic weren't winning the East back then - Bird needed 3 HOF teammates to win the 80's East.... ditto Dr J.... Isiah needed a starting 5 that were all 3x all-stars or better (Dumars, Isiah, Rodman, Laimbeer, Aguirre.. edit: Rodman was 2x all-star and 2x dpoy)

he won 8 straight conference finals only AFTER his "decision" formed a strong team in a conference that weak teams were routinely winning - aka Dwight, AI, Kidd, and 07' Lebron all won the East with weak casts, so it's no surprise that a strong team had a winning streak.. Ultimately, Lebron couldn't win the East in 09/10, so he stacked the deck from 11-18' to ensure Finals runs

Akeem34TheDream
04-27-2020, 07:59 AM
22-year old Lebron made the Finals, while 22-year MJ lost in the 1st Round because only juggernauts won the East in the 80's - weak teams like the 01' Sixers, 03' Nets, 07' Cavs, or 09' Magic weren't winning the East back then - Bird needed 3 HOF teammates to win the 80's East.... ditto Dr J.... Isiah needed a starting 5 that were all 3x all-stars or better (Dumars, Isiah, Rodman, Laimbeer, Aguirre.. edit: Rodman was 2x all-star and 2x dpoy)

he won 8 straight conference finals only AFTER his "decision" formed a strong team in a conference that weak teams were routinely winning - aka Dwight, AI, Kidd, and 07' Lebron all won the East with weak casts, so it's no surprise that a strong team had a winning streak.. Ultimately, Lebron couldn't win the East in 09/10, so he stacked the deck from 11-18' to ensure Finals runs

This confirms you are 3ball.

Xiao Yao You
04-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Most dominating team I saw by far

iamgine
04-28-2020, 12:37 AM
Just a little context on the 1983 Philly team:

C - MVP | All NBA 1st | All Defensive 1st | All Star
F - SMOY | All Defensive 1st | 3rd in DPOY Voting
F - All NBA 1st | 5th in MVP Voting | All Star
G - All Star
G - All Defensive 1st | 3rd in DPOY Voting | All Star

This would be like if Giannis plays with Steph/Klay/Draymond and then you add Brandon Ingram.

Mr Feeny
04-28-2020, 07:43 AM
They decimated the Lakers and Moses pretty much had his way with Kareem. That was a great team.

Mr Feeny
04-28-2020, 07:45 AM

But Magic got injured in game 1 (even though they were getting destroyed by Detroit even before the injury) and the Lakers were older. I think there is a difference between beating the 83 lakers and the 89 lakers.
The Lakers had barely won the title the previous season, a combination of some horrendous officiating and Isiah getting injured. They really weren't the same old Lakers since 87.

tpols
04-28-2020, 08:33 AM

dr J and moses >>> anybody on the pistons.

pistons also almost lost to the nets, sixers were sweeping everybody.

SouBeachTalents
04-28-2020, 08:39 AM
dr J and moses >>> anybody on the pistons.

pistons also almost lost to the nets, sixers were sweeping everybody.
Huh? Pretty sure he was talking about the '89 Pistons, not '04

tpols
04-28-2020, 08:44 AM
Huh? Pretty sure he was talking about the '89 Pistons, not '04

true lol... i ****ed up

Jasper
04-28-2020, 10:01 AM
I have always believed this -

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/bullstitle29079270/ranking-chicago-bulls-best-nba-championship-teams

see scottie's vid end of article

1. 1995-96
play
3:18
Relive Pippen's conversation about the Bulls' 1995-96 seasonFlash back to 1996, when Scottie Pippen talks about his year on the court and playing alongside Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman.
Offensive rating: 115.2 | Defensive rating: 101.8

Regular-season record: 72-10 | Playoff record: 15-3

NBA Finals: Won (4-2) vs. Seattle SuperSonics

Though the 2015-16 Warriors topped their long-standing record by one win, the 1995-96 Bulls are still the greatest team ever. They were an organically crafted superteam that leveled the league with a kind of dominance never seen before and a complete greatness that won't ever be touched.

A trade for the mercurial Dennis Rodman had the potential to create dysfunction and distraction, but it only elevated them further. They started the season 41-3 and were the first team to ever win 70. Jordan was at the peak of his prowess, leading the league in scoring. They went 15-3 in the postseason, finishing the Sonics in six games for their fourth title in six years.

With a cumulative record of 87-13 (regular season and playoffs), they have the best overall record in NBA history -- and unlike the 2015-16 Warriors, they also have the hardware. -- Royce Young

SouBeachTalents
04-28-2020, 10:03 AM
I have always believed this -

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/bullstitle29079270/ranking-chicago-bulls-best-nba-championship-teams

see scottie's vid end of article

1. 1995-96
play
3:18
Relive Pippen's conversation about the Bulls' 1995-96 seasonFlash back to 1996, when Scottie Pippen talks about his year on the court and playing alongside Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman.
Offensive rating: 115.2 | Defensive rating: 101.8

Regular-season record: 72-10 | Playoff record: 15-3

NBA Finals: Won (4-2) vs. Seattle SuperSonics

Though the 2015-16 Warriors topped their long-standing record by one win, the 1995-96 Bulls are still the greatest team ever. They were an organically crafted superteam that leveled the league with a kind of dominance never seen before and a complete greatness that won't ever be touched.

A trade for the mercurial Dennis Rodman had the potential to create dysfunction and distraction, but it only elevated them further. They started the season 41-3 and were the first team to ever win 70. Jordan was at the peak of his prowess, leading the league in scoring. They went 15-3 in the postseason, finishing the Sonics in six games for their fourth title in six years.

With a cumulative record of 87-13 (regular season and playoffs), they have the best overall record in NBA history -- and unlike the 2015-16 Warriors, they also have the hardware. -- Royce Young
'96 Jordan was not at his peak, what a fcking ridiculous thing to say :oldlol:

Jasper
04-28-2020, 11:03 AM
'96 Jordan was not at his peak, what a fcking ridiculous thing to say :oldlol:

were u there ?
:no: