PDA

View Full Version : How High Does MJ get on this particular jumper?(video)

Vragrant
04-30-2020, 11:42 PM
1:27 mark. Ridiculous elevation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0l3npPPXRQ

Mr Feeny
05-01-2020, 05:44 AM
That's insane. I remember a similar jumper in the closing minutes of game 2 of the 1993 finals. Magic Johnson seemed almost flabbergasted on commentary, watching that one.

Looking at the slow motion here, he might have gotten even higher on this one.

Vragrant
05-01-2020, 01:35 PM
That's insane. I remember a similar jumper in the closing minutes of game 2 of the 1993 finals. Magic Johnson seemed almost flabbergasted on commentary, watching that one.

Looking at the slow motion here, he might have gotten even higher on this one.

Yeah bro I remember that. I remember they actually measured it and said he was getting up
35 inches on his jumper. Agreed it may be higher here, even more impressive since he pretty
much walked into it, not like a runner or a pullup.

CTbasketball92
05-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Yeah bro I remember that. I remember they actually measured it and said he was getting up
35 inches on his jumper. Agreed it may be higher here, even more impressive since he pretty
much walked into it, not like a runner or a pullup.

I'd love to see where they said this, because that's really interesting. I always have wondered what MJ's vertical was during the second three-peat. At a 1997 basketball camp he said when he was in his peak physically he could get his entire wrist and a bit of his forearm over the top of the square. That's about 149 or 150 inches, and with a standing reach of around 8'8"-8'10" that's prob. around a 43-46 inch vertical. He said at that moment (summer 1997, age 34), he could get about two or three inches above the square. So a max touch of around 141, a vertical of around 35-36 inches. I think he might have been underestimating himself, though, I don't think any well-conditioned athlete would lose 10 inches off their vertical while at age 34. I'd bet his vertical in 1995-1996 was around 40 inches at least when he tried.

For this jump he looks like he's over three feet and that's just with a hard step.

ClipperRevival
05-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Still think as an overall athlete, there was MJ and then everybody else, especially when you consider ALL factors like ability to explode off the floor with no head start (like this play), quickness, body control and GOAT tier leaping off 1 or 2 feet.

Like you have to watch many of MJ's plays in slow-mo (like this play again) to truly appreciate how special he was athletically. If someone told me MJ had some alien DNA, I would say I knew something was up. His ability to get exceptional elevation at basically a standstill is incomparable. Most people can jump high with a head of steam.

KD7
05-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Still think as an overall athlete, there was MJ and then everybody else, especially when you consider ALL factors like ability to explode off the floor with no head start (like this play), quickness, body control and GOAT tier leaping off 1 or 2 feet.

Like you have to watch many of MJ's plays in slow-mo (like this play again) to truly appreciate how special he was athletically. If someone told me MJ had some alien DNA, I would say I knew something was up. His ability to get exceptional elevation at basically a standstill is incomparable. Most people can jump high with a head of steam.
Imagine being this delusional :oldlol:

MJ is not even a better athlete than Wilt & LeBron let alone a tier above them :facepalm

Vragrant
05-03-2020, 01:09 AM
I'd love to see where they said this, because that's really interesting. I always have wondered what MJ's vertical was during the second three-peat. At a 1997 basketball camp he said when he was in his peak physically he could get his entire wrist and a bit of his forearm over the top of the square. That's about 149 or 150 inches, and with a standing reach of around 8'8"-8'10" that's prob. around a 43-46 inch vertical. He said at that moment (summer 1997, age 34), he could get about two or three inches above the square. So a max touch of around 141, a vertical of around 35-36 inches. I think he might have been underestimating himself, though, I don't think any well-conditioned athlete would lose 10 inches off their vertical while at age 34. I'd bet his vertical in 1995-1996 was around 40 inches at least when he tried.

For this jump he looks like he's over three feet and that's just with a hard step.

Yes, I believe it was Game 2 of the Suns series, I'll see if I can find it. IIRC, funny enough it was the fourth quarter which is even more impressive. I never knew that he went so much into detail about his vertical. That being said, it says lot about how easily he could get off the floor even at that age, to base his game around jumpshooting(and wellconditioned of course). Which leads me to believe he could explode well over 35" if he really tried.