PDA

View Full Version : Durant to agent after leaving OKC "why the f@ck did you let me do this to my life"

STATUTORY
05-02-2020, 11:45 AM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-oklahoma-city-thunder-rich-kleiman-agent-stephen-curry-team-usa/wexc7webicqb156w10nt97e1y

He [Durant] was feeling the full brunt of the Internet’s fury about his perceived betrayal of Oklahoma... and the flak he was taking from people in Oklahoma City who had once professed deep affection for him was overwhelming. “To have so many people just say, ‘F— you,’ that really does it to you,” Durant tells me, still clearly anguished. “Because I truly had invested everything I had into the people I played for... And for those people that I know and love and trust to turn their back on me after I was fully invested in them, it was just... more than I could take. I was upset.

“That was before I met anybody from the Warriors and dove into the culture. I was basically on my own,” Durant told Steinberg.

Kleiman said a panicked Durant called him early one morning from his hotel room in China.

“I was up at 6 a.m. and he [Durant] calls me and says, ‘Yo, are you up?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, what’s up?’ And he’s like [yelling], ‘Why the f— did you let me do this to my life?’"

“That hotel was rock bottom,” Durant told Steinberg.

I hope KD is able to find peace

red1
05-02-2020, 11:48 AM
he can redeem himself.

the stain of joining a 73-win team that you were up 3-1 on and choked against is hard to wash. but I think he can redeem himself.

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Never understood why people are so viscous towards athletes or celebrities they don't even know

This guy is a human being who made a basketball and personal life decision at a young age. Its not like he raped a chick in a hotel room

Durants a good dude and actually does care about the fans. Nothing but respect

Phoenix
05-02-2020, 11:58 AM
To this day I don't know how KD miscalculated the optics of joining the team you JUST lost to ( and more or less choked the series away to), when clearly he was not strong enough to handle the reaction. I mean some fans may have booed him regardless had he left for the Wizards. Or the Celtics. But the Warriors?!! Come on bruh.

red1
05-02-2020, 12:04 PM
To this day I don't know how KD miscalculated the optics of joining the team you JUST lost to ( and more or less choked the series away to), when clearly he was not strong enough to handle the reaction. I mean some fans may have booed him regardless had he left for the Wizards. Or the Celtics. But the Warriors?!! Come on bruh.

the miscalculation he made is that the warriors won without him and were one steph game-7 choke from repeating and winning back-to-back.

thats why draymond doesnt respect kd to this day. they actually didnt need him. its just that with him they were the most stacked team of all time. and they were all afraid of lebron aka lethanos, so the parking lot panic from draymond and the panic from kd makes sense.

SouBeachTalents
05-02-2020, 12:05 PM
And plus he witnessed the fallout of what happened to LeBron in 2010. That should've been the blueprint for all athletes on how your free agency decision can result in extreme backlash and fans turning on you

Phoenix
05-02-2020, 12:13 PM
And plus he witnessed the fallout of what happened to LeBron in 2010. That should've been the blueprint for all athletes on how your free agency decision can result in extreme backlash and fans turning on you

Had he gone to another team, I think his first game back in OKC the reaction would have been mixed. He'd have had some boos because no matter what, he abandoned the team. Some fans will never accept that. But I think he would have gotten a big ovation from others and 'thank you KD' signs. Nobody outside the Thunder would have cared. Instead, he lost the entire OKC fanbase and looked weak to everyone else who otherwise would have shrugged it off a day later.

And to top it off, the two titles didn't really move the needle in terms of rankings. I mean how many people jumped him several spots above where he was in 2016? Anyone? And that's not to say he wasnt the best Warrior in the finals either year....but the team clearly had the ability to win without him. Not as dominantly, but he turned the finals into a coronation instead of competition. Can't respect that.

Phoenix
05-02-2020, 12:21 PM
the miscalculation he made is that the warriors won without him and were one steph game-7 choke from repeating and winning back-to-back.

There were a handful of times that he would have put over the top while not causing such a massive power shift, while maintaining competitive balance and his own integrity. Hell I think the Thunder, coming off the 3-1 chokejob, were in great position to come back in 2017 and be right in the hunt again. Both he and Russ were 28, it's not like the clock was running out. With Obaka, Adam's and Kanter back? Shiiiit. Would they have also gotten Oladipo had KD resigned?

Stephonit
05-02-2020, 12:22 PM
And if he never ended up winning a championship?

"Why the f@ck did you stop me from joining that team?"

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Blaming an agent for your sorry ass decision? Yeah sounds like a Durant thing to do.

He's a grown man and ultimately decides what he wants. Period. Everyone seen what happened with Bron anyway. To be mythed over the backlash is poor awareness.

warriorfan
05-02-2020, 12:32 PM

He has low iq

And if he never ended up winning a championship?

"Why the f@ck did you stop me from joining that team?"

This. Low iq and very child like. KD is a cancer who will never win anything without Steph Curry. Curry was the only one who was able to keep the cancer from metastasizing, even if it was temporary.

LeCroix
05-02-2020, 12:37 PM
He has low iq

This. Low iq and very child like. KD is a cancer who will never win anything without Steph Curry. Curry was the only one who was able to keep the cancer from metastasizing, even if it was temporary.
Cosign.

All this time in OKC, was it really KD and not Russell fault.

warriorfan
05-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Cosign.

All this time in OKC, was it really KD and not Russell fault.

They were both at equal fault. Both of them are low iq cancer guys who had plenty of years to establish a winning culture but failed. Their biggest achievement is a Finals appearance during a lockout season when they were all 23 years old. Outside of that there isn’t really much except individual awards and $tats.

Uncle Drew
05-02-2020, 01:03 PM
This makes me so happy.

r0drig0lac
05-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Durbeta going Durbeta

brooks_thompson
05-02-2020, 02:16 PM
There were a handful of times that he would have put over the top while not causing such a massive power shift, while maintaining competitive balance and his own integrity. Hell I think the Thunder, coming off the 3-1 chokejob, were in great position to come back in 2017 and be right in the hunt again. Both he and Russ were 28, it's not like the clock was running out. With Obaka, Adam's and Kanter back? Shiiiit. Would they have also gotten Oladipo had KD resigned?

Ibaka would’ve been gone, traded for Oladipo and Sabonis. But the thing people forget is that Al Horford! was set to sign with the Thunder if Durant came back. They would’ve been favorites.

Draz
05-02-2020, 02:22 PM
He can NEVER redeem himself. He's pussified

Phoenix
05-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Ibaka would’ve been gone, traded for Oladipo and Sabonis. But the thing people forget is that Al Horford! was set to sign with the Thunder if Durant came back. They would’ve been favorites.

Oh yes good point, I forget that tidbit about Horford.

Run DLC
05-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Had he gone to another team, I think his first game back in OKC the reaction would have been mixed. He'd have had some boos because no matter what, he abandoned the team. Some fans will never accept that. But I think he would have gotten a big ovation from others and 'thank you KD' signs. Nobody outside the Thunder would have cared. Instead, he lost the entire OKC fanbase and looked weak to everyone else who otherwise would have shrugged it off a day later.

And to top it off, the two titles didn't really move the needle in terms of rankings. I mean how many people jumped him several spots above where he was in 2016? Anyone? And that's not to say he wasnt the best Warrior in the finals either year....but the team clearly had the ability to win without him. Not as dominantly, but he turned the finals into a coronation instead of competition. Can't respect that.

Stephen A Smith says KD is the GOAT. I approved of his message.

sportjames23
05-02-2020, 03:11 PM

Exactly.

ArbitraryWater
05-02-2020, 03:13 PM
As if this dude expected he could get away with such a move... lmao.

He's confused

Roundball_Rock
05-02-2020, 03:15 PM
I think he made the correct long term calculation: basketball fans are increasingly ring huggers. The prime example is all those people saying Green>Barkley based on rings. While Durant took a hit in the short term, 20 or 30 years from now all most people will remember is he won 2 rings.

If he can't win in Brooklyn that may hurt him with more hardcore basketball fans and in history since he would have then spent his career on talented teams and only won the brief period he was on a 73 win team.

It is notable the Warriors' record without Durant was excellent (but not without Curry)in the regular season games he missed. They did lose to Toronto, but Durant was not the only injury (Klay, Cousins) and they went 6-0 against Houston and Portland without him in the playoffs.

warriorfan
05-02-2020, 03:19 PM
I think he made the correct long term calculation: basketball fans are increasingly ring huggers. The prime example is all those people saying Green>Barkley based on rings. While Durant took a hit in the short term, 20 or 30 years from now all most people will remember is he won 2 rings.

If he can't win in Brooklyn that may hurt him with more hardcore basketball fans and in history since he would have then spent his career on talented teams and only won the brief period he was on a 73 win team.

It is notable the Warriors' record without Durant was excellent (but not without Curry)in the regular season games he missed. They did lose to Toronto, but Durant was not the only injury (Klay, Cousins) and they went 6-0 against Houston and Portland without him in the playoffs.

KD rode on Curry’s coattails

r0drig0lac
05-02-2020, 03:25 PM

no person who really understands the game says something like that

ArbitraryWater
05-02-2020, 03:25 PM

I don't know man, think about some of the details we know about the 60s... and the information out there.

Now you add the current social media age and age of information readily available, everyone having a voice online... KD joining GSW is always gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

You know they'll still play 2016 WCF 100 years from now.

Btw its a creepy thought to think about the NBA or other sports 200 years from now...

Who will put all that information together. Keep a lid on whats happened. Storing it under one roof, not letting years be forgotten...

Players who will not become any worse, will go from being top 20 now to only being a top 50 player all time in 200 years, theoretically.

Its a crazy thought.

ArbitraryWater
05-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Yeah, no one says that.

Roundball_Rock
05-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Agreed but if you look up the social media discussion on it when that spat was occurring probably 30-35% of people took Green's side. Ring worship is out of control. Entire careers are boiled down to ring counts by many fans.

I don't know man, think about some of the details we know about the 60s... and the information out there.

Now you add the current social media age and age of information readily available, everyone having a voice online... KD joining GSW is always gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

You know they'll still play 2016 WCF 100 years from now.

I hope people remember. What KD did was uniquely lame but I suspect they will not.

Phoenix
05-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Stephen A Smith says KD is the GOAT. I approved of his message.

Link?

oldtimer28
05-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Never understood why people are so viscous towards athletes or celebrities they don't even know

This guy is a human being who made a basketball and personal life decision at a young age. Its not like he raped a chick in a hotel room

Agree. People are harsh

Axe
05-02-2020, 09:20 PM

Respect? I hope so.

After all, this is one of the guys responsible for not giving two rings for bran in his last two years with the cavaliers.

LeCroix
05-02-2020, 09:40 PM
KD rode on Curry’s coattails

thats facts. KD never did nothing before joining stephen c

SATAN
05-02-2020, 11:30 PM
"why the f@ck did you let me do this to my life"

Cringe

AlternativeAcc.
05-02-2020, 11:38 PM
Respect? I hope so.

After all, this is one of the guys responsible for not giving two rings for bran in his last two years with the cavaliers.

KD and Bron are this generations magic and bird. 2 players clearly ahead of everyone else in terms of impact/winning/skill.

Nobody comes close to these 2 in this particular era.

Nothing but respect for Durant

He and LeBron have the best finals stats ever.

EllEffEll
05-03-2020, 03:45 AM
He leaves OKC (turns HIS back on his fans), and then says they turned their back on HIM?

And then blame his agent?

Where was the 'winning' when KD was the man in OKC?

He is a supremely talented basketball player. But incredibly lacking in self-awareness and accountability.

Goldrush25
05-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Durant's a guy that doesn't accept responsibility for anything. He's always blaming someone else. It Westy's fault that he couldn't win in OKC. It's Steph hogging all of the spotlight in GS. It's Draymond's fault that he left. Nothing is ever his fault.

Smoke117
05-03-2020, 07:31 PM
Durant has to be the most beta star athlete of all time.