PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: 1962 finals Bill Russell drops 30pts 40reb

AirBonner
05-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Boston's Bill Russell scores 30 points and grabs 40 rebounds to lead the Celtics to a 110-107 overtime win over the Los Angeles Lakers and their fourth consecutive NBA title. What a beast :biggums:

red1
05-03-2020, 11:30 PM
11>6

warriorfan
05-03-2020, 11:39 PM
Pace

AirBonner
05-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Pace
the pace was faster in the 80’s, do we hold that against them as well?

warriorfan
05-03-2020, 11:48 PM
the pace was faster in the 80’s, do we hold that against them as well?

You should. Per 100 possession numbers are more accurate when comparing across large gaps in eras

Axe
05-03-2020, 11:50 PM
11>6>3
Fixed it for you.

AirBonner
05-03-2020, 11:57 PM
You should. Per 100 possession numbers are more accurate when comparing across large gaps in eras

Who is to decide which pace is fair? Fact is he still accumulated those stats which is remarkable

warriorfan
05-04-2020, 12:03 AM
Who is to decide which pace is fair? Fact is he still accumulated those stats which is remarkable

It is remarkable. And even though there are more possessions which gave him more opportunities, he still had to go out and grab those rebounds. It is misleading because going off 40 rebounds, is he really twice as a better rebounder as Dwight Howard? It doesn’t really work like that. Choosing per 100 possessions is somewhat arbitrary but it’s better than not doing any adjusting at all in my opinion at least.

AirBonner
05-04-2020, 12:10 AM
It is remarkable. And even though there are more possessions which gave him more opportunities, he still had to go out and grab those rebounds. It is misleading because going off 40 rebounds, is he really twice as a better rebounder as Dwight Howard? It doesn’t really work like that. Choosing per 100 possessions is somewhat arbitrary but it’s better than not doing any adjusting at all in my opinion at least.

Both teams had more possessions that is a fact. Nearly all of his finals came down to the wire with his opponents being within a field goal. Despite this he only lost the finals once. His defense came up huge. Most centers would be exhausted by that pace but Wilt and Russell were different animals. I know you are shitting on their defense but one person can’t guard 5 people. When it counted most his defense shined.

warriorfan
05-04-2020, 12:14 AM
Both teams had more possessions that is a fact. Nearly all of his finals came down to the wire with his opponents being within a field goal. Despite this he only lost the finals once. His defense came up huge. Most centers would be exhausted by that pace but Wilt and Russell were different animals. I know you are shitting on their defense but one person can’t guard 5 people. When it counted most his defense shined.

I agree with this post for the most part. I’m a Bill Russell fan and think Wilt gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Both of those guys are so polarizing you have guys saying they are the GOATs because of 50 point and 40 rebound games, then people saying they would be Javale McGee in today’s game. Overall I think both of them get underrated by most fans.

AirBonner
05-04-2020, 12:18 AM
I agree with this post for the most part. I’m a Bill Russell fan and think Wilt gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Both of those guys are so polarizing you have guys saying they are the GOATs because of 50 point and 40 rebound games, then people saying they would be Javale McGee in today’s game. Overall I think both of them get underrated by most fans.

Agree. It’s impossible to say what they would be like today. We can only judge players by what they did vs their competition :cheers:

warriorfan
05-04-2020, 12:20 AM
Agree. It’s impossible to say what they would be like today. We can only judge players by what they did vs their competition :cheers:

True. We can speculate to an extent using our best ability but in the end it is still speculation. Can’t really say for sure so I would say you are right.