PDA

View Full Version : Best PG iso scorer ever?

Mamba4Life
05-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Tough choice, most of the best iso scorers were in the previous era. Today’s PG rely too much on screens and ball movement to score

keep-itreal
05-04-2020, 05:32 PM
How is Kyrie Irving not on the list? He's the best PG iso scorer in NBA history

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 05:33 PM
I voted Chris Paul. Then Lillard, then Iverson, then Thomas, then Parker

Kblaze8855
05-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Kyrie is probably the best combo of handles, finishing, and shooting to ever exist. Too bad he doesn’t seem to get along with people for long.

OrlandoMagicGuy
Iverson is the only correct answer here

Kblaze8855

He’s not on the list because this is a troll topic to prop up Lebron indirectly.

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 05:36 PM
He’s not on the list because this is a troll topic to prop up Lebron indirectly.

chewing

Mamba4Life
05-04-2020, 05:55 PM

Kyrie is not on this because unfortunately he only peaked as a 24ppg scorer as a first option (2018 Celtics)

That scoring volume, while solely being a scorer for your team, isn’t high enough to be considered an elite iso scorer

In comparison, Lillard peaked as a 29ppg scorer and Iverson as a 33 ppg scorer when given similar 1st option responsibility as Kyrie.

Kyrie’s 22-24ppg isn’t enough unfortunately

LoneyROY7
05-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I voted Chris Paul. Then Lillard, then Iverson, then Thomas, then Parker

What the f*ck is this take? :oldlol:

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 06:09 PM
What the f*ck is this take? :oldlol:

care to retort? are you another gay kblaze alt?

LoneyROY7
05-04-2020, 06:27 PM
care to retort? are you another gay kblaze alt?

Chris Paul is a better iso scorer than Allen Iverson? :lol :lol

Big L for you bro.

Phoenix
05-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Kyrie is not on this because unfortunately he only peaked as a 24ppg scorer as a first option (2018 Celtics)

That scoring volume, while solely being a scorer for your team, isn’t high enough to be considered an elite iso scorer

In comparison, Lillard peaked as a 29ppg scorer and Iverson as a 33 ppg scorer when given similar 1st option responsibility as Kyrie.

Kyrie’s 22-24ppg isn’t enough unfortunately

Your OP doesn't specify 'first option'. But using that logic, Parker and Isiah had scoring peaks of 22ppg and 21.2 respectively. In both cases they led their teams in shots taken and PPG. Also, CP3 scoring peak as first option was 22.8 in 2009.

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Chris Paul is a better iso scorer than Allen Iverson? :lol :lol

Big L for you bro.

Yeah I was mulling it over... Iverson is a bit overrated tho. Ill take Pauls 3 point shot over Iverson's elite midrange and speed

neither have won anything. Iverson has an MVP, overall I like Paul better because of his passing and IQ and Id take him overall to build my team. Iverson was dangerous tho. no doubt.

LoneyROY7
05-04-2020, 06:34 PM
Yeah I was mulling it over... Iverson is a bit overrated tho. Ill take Pauls 3 point shot over Iverson's elite midrange and speed

AI's combo of handles and speed already allow him to create looks for himself that CP simply can't.

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 06:54 PM
AI's combo of handles and speed already allow him to create looks for himself that CP simply can't.

this is true. but paul is not too far off and can give you the three ball more consistently

PeroAntic
05-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Historically AI. Now Kyrie and then DRose. op doesnt seem to know what iso scoring is.

RRR3
05-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Historically AI. Now Kyrie and then DRose. op doesnt seem to know what iso scoring is.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DoctorP
05-04-2020, 07:24 PM
I value the three point shot, especially in todays game. but if it comes down to penetration and 1 shit...give me THE PROFESSOR ALL DAY

Reggie43
05-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Peak Iverson with the modern rules would be Godlike.

bizil
05-04-2020, 08:59 PM
FOR STARTERS, AI was a SG. PG was his secondary position. Hella early in AI's career, Larry Brown moved him to SG. And let Eric Snow run the PG. Snow guarded the bigger SG's while AI checked the smaller PG's.

As for the answer to this question, it's Kyrie! I know he's not on the poll but his goes to Kyrie. Kyrie has the best scoring skillset EVER at the PG spot. Sick handles, great finishing ability, and an elite shooter in one package. For his career he shoots 47% FG-39% 3FG-88% FT. For a player to have that type of shooting ON TOP of his epic handles and finishing ability make him the answer. If u are talking pure speed, killer mentality, and handles as a package, Zeke would be the top guy of the guys listed.

Mamba4Life
05-04-2020, 11:28 PM
Peak Iverson with the modern rules would be Godlike.

Agreed

Whoah10115
05-05-2020, 10:06 AM
Still think it's Isiah, because as bizil said, Iverson is a SG. He'd be 1st otherwise.

Kyrie obviously one of them. Not sure why laughing at Rose. Agree or not on his MVP he was a great player. He'd certainly be on the list.

Troll thread is troll tho.

dirkdiggler41
05-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Oscar Robertson?

DoctorP
05-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Still think it's Isiah, because as bizil said, Iverson is a SG. He'd be 1st otherwise.

Kyrie obviously one of them. Not sure why laughing at Rose. Agree or not on his MVP he was a great player. He'd certainly be on the list.

Troll thread is troll tho.

Good point but Iverson could totally play PG in todays non-half court game..
even though id still prefer a Trae Young type to lead the O

FKAri
05-05-2020, 12:37 PM
Harden's a PG doe

tpols
05-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Kyrie is pretty comfortably the best.

Iverson didnt iso as much as people think he did, he played off ball a lot. Kyrie's specialty is putting people in the blender 1v1, and he's a much better shooter. (and still a GOAT PG finisher)

Mamba4Life
05-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Iverson didnt iso as much as people think he did, he played off ball a lot. Kyrie's specialty is putting people in the blender 1v1, and he's a much better shooter. (and still a GOAT PG finisher)

Why is Kyrie only a 18-22ppg scorer while Iverson was a 30ppg scorer?

Phoenix
05-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Iverson was a better shooter than he's given credit for. Those off-ball plays you mention above produced alot of catch and shoot scoring. The moment the perimeter rules switched in 2004 his scoring and efficiency went up.

tpols
05-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Iverson was a better shooter than he's given credit for. Those off-ball plays you mention above produced alot of catch and shoot scoring. The moment the perimeter rules switched in 2004 his scoring and efficiency went up.

he still never shot close to what kyrie did, whose basically a hair away from the 50/40/90 club.

And I dont think there's anybody in that club with irving's dribbling or finishing ability, which is why his skillset is so rare.

Phoenix
05-05-2020, 01:34 PM
he still never shot close to what kyrie did, whose basically a hair away from the 50/40/90 club.

And I dont think there's anybody in that club with irving's dribbling or finishing ability, which is why his skillset is so rare.

Was not making that point, to be clear. Just saying that AI isn't regarded as a 'shooter', and he isn't, but his shot was better than people may remember. AI today probably would be a 45-46% scorer, with modern spacing and defensive rules. Nowhere near close to the level of packed paints and rim protection today.

bizil
05-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Good point but Iverson could totally play PG in todays non-half court game..
even though id still prefer a Trae Young type to lead the O

Ya but the FACT REMAINS AI is an all time great SG! That was his primary position. SO he actually doesn't qualify for this question. OF COURSE AI would have been a great PG if PG was his primary position. In today's era, he would FOR SURE be a PG. Because most of the top PG's are score first PG's. In AI's era, many of the top PG's were pass first type of guys. Like a Nash, Kidd, GP, Stockton, etc. Gotta remember that AI hit the league in '96. So with AI mentality and scoring ability, he got moved to the SG spot. And among the score first PG's in today's era, AI's ACTUALLY just as good or better a passer than most of those guys.

bizil
05-05-2020, 02:47 PM
Oscar Robertson?

Oscar of course has to be high up on the list! He had all the tools of course to dominate. But in comparison to a Kyrie, Kyrie has more range on his shot and sicker handles. If u are talking RESULTS (most dominant scorer), then Oscar would be the answer. IF u are takling skills AND results as a package, I would roll with Kyrie. U would have more things to worry stopping with Kyrie than u would for Oscar.

IN GENERAL, Oscar is the most dominant scoring PG. But in a pure iso situation, I like to give the nod to the guy who has the best blend of overall scoring skills AND results. For example, Bron BY RESULTS (FG%, PPG) is just as good of a scorer as any SF to ever play pretty much. BUT in terms of scoring skillset, KD is the best SF of all time.

Phoenix
05-05-2020, 02:48 PM
To me Kyrie, Curry, Dame, Russ, even Harden, are all combo guards. Iverson may officially line up at PG in this era but he'd still be his teams primary offensive weapon like the aforementioned. The line between PG/SG and SF/PF are becoming more and more blurred.

fsvr54
05-05-2020, 02:49 PM

He doesn't need those looks. CP3 routinely shoots silky smooth midrange Js over dudes a foot taller (on bum ass kness).

Whoah10115
05-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Paul is definitely a terrific iso player but his usage in such situations isn't so high. When talking iso, in this context, I'm thinking of someone who is getting to the rim. Maybe that's my mistake tho.

Don't see why Iverson would be a PG today. Harden was a PG for a year and should have been MVP over Westbrook. Played better than a lot of these seasons where he's just jacking it up.

If Iverson would be a PG may as well call LeBron one. Obviously he's tall, but point remains. And LeBron doesn't play off the ball unless he his team is playing high-tempo and he's making rim runs, with a player like Wade but in style and in quality. Iverson plays off the ball similar to Michael, in some ways.

Take someone like Curry...he plays PG for two main reasons. The first is that he runs the offense. He handles the ball, gets them into sets. That's the definition, really. Curry is absolutely elite off-the ball and in the way a SG would play off ball, but the offense is already running because he's initiated it, and can bring the ball up under all pressure, without losing sight of the court as a whole. The second thing is, for him, even more important. Curry is the best shooter ever. He can jack it up from anywhere and it's a legitimate shot. That throws opposing defenses all over the place. With his quick trigger, it means he never over-dominates the ball.

That's not Iverson's game. If he were playing now he'd be a SG unless there was a specific coach/plan to utilize him at the point.

ralph_i_el
05-05-2020, 03:50 PM
If I needed one of those guys to go 1-on-1 and get me a bucket, it's Lillard. He has the best combo of deep range and finishing ability at the rim.

Prime CP3 didn't get himself in that many iso situations compared to these other guys, because he's have his team running their regular offense in the clutch.

Whoah10115
05-05-2020, 04:00 PM
If I needed one of those guys to go 1-on-1 and get me a bucket, it's Lillard. He has the best combo of deep range and finishing ability at the rim.

Prime CP3 didn't get himself in that many iso situations compared to these other guys, because he's have his team running their regular offense in the clutch.

Well I've seen Paul go iso in those situations, or hold off and get his own shot, so can't agree with that.

But I agree with Lillard.

tpols
05-05-2020, 04:04 PM
lilliard honestly isnt that great in iso. He spams PnR from the top and has curry like range and good ability to manuever in traffic.

Straight iso? he rarely ever does that.

dont know what you guys are watching.

ralph_i_el
05-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Well I've seen Paul go iso in those situations, or hold off and get his own shot, so can't agree with that.

But I agree with Lillard.

I'm saying that back in his Hornets days, they were more likely to go with ball-movement in the clutch, rather than just running the clock and having CP3 take a shot in a 1-on-1. Not that he didn't have those situations, but I always admired him (and that team) for not depending on hero-ball at the end of games.

Whoah10115
05-05-2020, 04:10 PM
I'm saying that back in his Hornets days, they were more likely to go with ball-movement in the clutch, rather than just running the clock and having CP3 take a shot in a 1-on-1. Not that he didn't have those situations, but I always admired him (and that team) for not depending on hero-ball at the end of games.

Fair points

ralph_i_el
05-05-2020, 04:11 PM
lilliard honestly isnt that great in iso. He spams PnR from the top and has curry like range and good ability to manuever in traffic.

Straight iso? he rarely ever does that.

dont know what you guys are watching.

Well then none of these guys get that many straight iso possessions besides AI.

HylianNightmare
05-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Iverson or kyrie

dreamshake
05-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Iverson was not a PG.

The best PG scorer is probably Lillard or Kyrie. Prime DRose deserves a mention.

ralph_i_el
05-05-2020, 04:27 PM
Woah woah woah.

We just got this far without anyone mentioning Gilbert Arenas, who did a ton of 1-on-1 scoring, with less "pick and roll spam" than these current guards.

I change my vote lol.

tpols
05-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Well then none of these guys get that many straight iso possessions besides AI.

kyrie iso's all the time.

as does chris paul.

dame cant touch either of their in between midrange games.

ralph_i_el
05-05-2020, 04:41 PM
kyrie iso's all the time.

as does chris paul.

dame cant touch either of their in between midrange games.

Yeah, you're right on all that. Dame is a great shooter from every range though, and he's such an explosive finisher.

Mamba4Life
05-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Looks like AI is in the lead! With CP3 a distant second

tontoz
05-05-2020, 05:36 PM
I would agree that Kyrie is probably the best iso scorer at the point. Honorable mention to Iverson who was far more athletic but not as skilled as Kyrie.

OrlandoMagicGuy
05-05-2020, 05:50 PM
I would agree that Kyrie is probably the best iso scorer at the point. Honorable mention to Iverson who was far more athletic but not as skilled as Kyrie.
How many scoring titles does Kyrie have again?

Manny98
05-05-2020, 06:04 PM
People voting for Iverson are you just completely disregarding efficiency :oldlol:

fsvr54
05-05-2020, 06:24 PM
A world class defender can shut down Lillard as Jrue Holiday displayed in the playoffs.

Mamba4Life
05-10-2020, 01:44 PM
How many scoring titles does Kyrie have again?

Got em