PDA

View Full Version : MJ was a ball hog

AirBonner
05-04-2020, 07:55 PM
A very good ball hog. I only thought MJ was a ballhog when he was having those 10 for 30 shooting nights and refused to pass to Pippen or Kukoc who was shooting better. But I find it interesting that MJ's shooting percentage declined every year after his 1st championship as the East started to adopt that slow down game mentality. I think those are more indicative of what MJ's shooting percentage was really like than the inflated 80's stats, still pretty good though.

3ball
05-04-2020, 07:59 PM
How many apg for lebron in the playoffs thru 3 rings?

How many for Jordan?

And lebron should shoot more - but he can't maintain the efficiency like MJ, so he doesn't..

only MJ could shoot well enough at that volume to justify it - that's why only he could win with those Bulls - only he could shoot well enough at the high volume required for the lowest scoring cast ever

AirBonner
05-04-2020, 08:05 PM
How many apg for lebron in the playoffs thru 3 rings?

How many for Jordan?

And lebron should shoot more - but he can't maintain the efficiency like MJ, so he doesn't..

only MJ could shoot well enough at that volume to justify it - that's why only he could win with those Bulls - only he could shoot well enough at the high volume required for the lowest scoring cast ever

If there is one overrated aspect of MJ's game, it's his "ability to create for others." From the MJ I saw in 93 playoffs & 3 peat era, he didn't create shit for anyone most of the time. It was a lot of iso for MJ, and sometimes he'd throw a pass here & there when he couldn't find a shot himself. But people who think MJ was routinely throwing passes out of double teams to Kerr/Paxson, think again.

3ball
05-04-2020, 08:09 PM
If there is one overrated aspect of MJ's game, it's his "ability to create for others." From the MJ I saw in 93 playoffs & 3 peat era, he didn't create shit for anyone most of the time. It was a lot of iso for MJ, and sometimes he'd throw a pass here & there when he couldn't find a shot himself. But people who think MJ was routinely throwing passes out of double teams to Kerr/Paxson, think again.

In 1989, MJ carried a lottery cast to the cusp of the Finals (goat carry job)

And once he had a star teammate, he was 6/6

So his style was optimal and your claims are wrong.. only mj averaged 10+ apg without playing PG (91' Finals).. and the Associated Press said he was a better PG than Magic when he played PG in 89'

SATAN
05-04-2020, 08:11 PM
MJ had his moments for sure but Kobe Bryant and James Harden have been way worse.

AirBonner
05-04-2020, 08:15 PM

And once he had a star teammate, he was 6/6

So his style was optimal and your claims are wrong.. only mj averaged 10+ apg without playing PG (91' Finals).. and the Associated Press said he was a better PG than Magic when he played PG in 89'
MJ could certainly play pg when playing for stats. Funny cause Bill Cartwright once pulled MJ to the side & threatened to break his legs if he didn't start passing the ball to him more.

Kblaze8855
05-04-2020, 08:18 PM
People said so at the time but it was relative to previous greats from the time before guard domination. Relative to today he wasn’t anything close.

Roundball_Rock
05-04-2020, 08:22 PM

We saw MJ with a lottery cast and he didn't come close to the finals.

MJ could certainly play pg when playing for stats.

Which he admitted:

During breaks in games, Jordan has been wandering over to the scorer's table to get updates on how many rebounds, assists and points he needs to fill his three double-figure quotas.

"The guys at the scorer's desk let me know what I need," he said. "They tell me, 'You need three assists; you need two rebounds."'

Jordan also has been double-checking the figures with Chicago assistants.

"They keep me in tune," he said. "They keep reminding me when I come back to the huddle, how much I need."

Last Sunday, at home against New Jersey, the 10th assist was Jordan's final goal.

"I knew I had nine assists," he said, "and I looked at (forward) Brad (Sellers), and said, 'Brad, can I count on you for my 10th?' And he said, 'yeah' and hit a jumper from the baseline."

The push for the elusive triple-double is part of Jordan's push for greater respect.

"If the way I'm playing now doesn't convince them I'm a complete player," he said, "then nothing will."

Notice this didn't make the doc?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-04-09-8901190048-story.html

Axe
05-04-2020, 08:23 PM
And the point of this thread is?

3ball
05-04-2020, 11:44 PM
that's why he lost in 88 89 and 90 to pistions,one aint goint to win it!
jordan sucks,hes a loser:lebroncry:

MJ posterized you super-hard

It's a lost poster.. rarely shown... But super-nasty

GimmeThat
05-05-2020, 12:01 AM
I think what lead to his first retirement was that the concept of the triangle offense set up leading to defense just didn't work. You can say he probably no longer wanted to continue to play like Wilt, where he took most of the teams shot and made them above the required percentages.

as the concept of practice makes perfect also required the practice of practicing others

Axe
05-05-2020, 12:34 AM
I think what lead to his first retirement was that the concept of the triangle offense set up leading to defense just didn't work. You can say he probably no longer wanted to continue to play like Wilt, where he took most of the teams shot and made them above the required percentages.

as the concept of practice makes perfect also required the practice of practicing others
Nope, it wasn't because of his career. It was because of his vices.

3ball
06-11-2021, 10:13 PM
Thread Cliffs

High volume from off-guards like Reggie or MJ was okay because teammates assist them for part of their scores, which elevates teammates above spot-up roles and gave young ball-handlers the capacity to improve (Pippen, Ingram, or Hughes).. Good assist targets help ballhandlers develop, and MJ was the goat assist target.

So don't conflate hold-time and over-dribbling with shot attempts, because high shot attempts can elevate/grow teammates if they're assisted, while a high hold time reduces teammates to spot-up roles.

SATAN
06-11-2021, 10:16 PM
:facepalm

And1AllDay
06-11-2021, 11:23 PM
mike took 35 shots per game and then wondered why didnt pip score more :oldlol:

idiot fan base

And1AllDay
06-11-2021, 11:24 PM
he probably coulda made 7 finals if he wasnt such a ball hog but six was his max

kobe made 7

7 beats 6

Axe
06-12-2021, 03:03 AM
Thread Cliffs

High volume from off-guards like Reggie or MJ was okay because teammates assist them for part of their scores, which elevates teammates above spot-up roles and gave young ball-handlers the capacity to improve (Pippen, Ingram, or Hughes).. Good assist targets help ballhandlers develop, and MJ was the goat assist target.

So don't conflate hold-time and over-dribbling with shot attempts, because high shot attempts can elevate/grow teammates if they're assisted, while a high hold time reduces teammates to spot-up roles.
1-9

06-12-2021, 04:11 AM
Emjay ballhogged his way to 6 titles

Spurs m8
06-12-2021, 04:19 AM
Emjay ballhogged his way to 6 titles

Without colluding and cherry picking pieces too

06-12-2021, 04:25 AM

He played the scoring champ style which is 7-4 in the 3pt era

The collusion style, otoh...

Dr Hawk
06-12-2021, 04:38 AM
Michael Jordan, apart from being the best basketball player ever, was able to maximize the performance of their teammates thanks to his playstyle. That is why his 96 Bulls won 72 RS games plus the championship.

Iverson3
06-12-2021, 04:56 AM

Why are you responding to your sock accounts??

06-12-2021, 04:59 AM
Why are you responding to your sock accounts??

Im not his sock lmfao

Mods can confirm

Spurs m8
06-12-2021, 05:23 AM
Im not his sock lmfao

Mods can confirm

This Iverson loser is literally a new alt...just like like pipnrodman one.

The bron stans are melting so hard with the playoffs absolutely thriving without their loser hero

And1AllDay
06-12-2021, 06:22 AM
He played the scoring champ style which is 7-4 in the 3pt era

The collusion style, otoh...

3ball alt :oldlol:

06-12-2021, 06:46 AM
3ball alt :oldlol:
nobodys alt

mods?

06-12-2021, 06:55 AM
This Iverson loser is literally a new alt...just like like pipnrodman one.

The bron stans are melting so hard with the playoffs absolutely thriving without their loser hero

Before i made this account i read that this angry iverson3 fellow was actually an alt account of "lebron23"

Do you think theres any truth to that

Spurs m8
06-12-2021, 06:59 AM
Before i made this account i read that this angry iverson3 fellow was actually an alt account of "lebron23"

Do you think theres any truth to that

Yeah it got exposed in the off the court forum...I only found out after I posted that.
Makes me wonder how many more he has.

He forgot to change alts when he was replying about some underage chicks he's claiming

06-12-2021, 07:00 AM
Yeah it got exposed in the off the court forum...I only found out after I posted that.
Makes me wonder how many more he has.

He forgot to change alts when he was replying about some underage chicks he's claiming

Wow, what a guy

RogueBorg
06-12-2021, 01:55 PM
A very good ball hog. I only thought MJ was a ballhog when he was having those 10 for 30 shooting nights and refused to pass to Pippen or Kukoc who was shooting better. But I find it interesting that MJ's shooting percentage declined every year after his 1st championship as the East started to adopt that slow down game mentality. I think those are more indicative of what MJ's shooting percentage was really like than the inflated 80's stats, still pretty good though.

If you're saying you'd rather have Pippen, Cartwright, Grant, Armstrong, Paxson, King, Williams, Perdue etc. taking more shots and less from Jordan, you're high.

Or, Pippen, Rodman, Longley, Harper, Buechler, Simpkins, Randy Brown, Kerr, Wennington, and yes, even Kukoc, you're still high.

You want the guy with the highest PER in NBA history taking the boat load of those shots.

Shooter
06-12-2021, 07:38 PM
Im not his sock lmfao

Mods can confirm

3ballt :lol :lol

Full Court
06-12-2021, 08:11 PM
I judge by results. MJ's "ball hogging" led his team to 2 three-peats, so who cares?

Shooter
06-12-2021, 08:16 PM
I judge by results. MJ's "ball hogging" led his team to 2 three-peats, so who cares?

6 Finals max out? Eh Kobe made 7

kawhileonard2
06-12-2021, 10:43 PM
6 Finals max out? Eh Kobe made 7

So he has 6 finals mvp's then? He won two 3 peats as well right for a franchise that never won prior to them arriving?

Shooter
06-12-2021, 10:53 PM
So he has 6 finals mvp's then? He won two 3 peats as well right for a franchise that never won prior to them arriving?

Good peak, no extended play. Fizzled out quick like a cheap firework.

BOOM, BANG, Cool for a little while and then fizzles out. Good for top 10, not for goat status though

06-13-2021, 02:37 AM
yeah. who cares about rings anyway. getting your ass kicked a lot is more impressive

72-10
07-11-2021, 12:52 PM
Good peak, no extended play. Fizzled out quick like a cheap firework.

BOOM, BANG, Cool for a little while and then fizzles out. Good for top 10, not for goat status though

They say MJ had three games where he made less than three passes in a half. Hardly anyone has failed to do this. Of course Bird never did it. Kobe did this monstrosity 26 times.

lakerstekkenn
07-11-2021, 01:03 PM
MJ wasn't a ball hog he had teammates that couldn't create their own shots, so he had to score and create open shots for them, Kobe had this same problem also James has this problem teammates that candy create their own offense because they don't have the skillet.