PDA

View Full Version : KG's first FIVE years on the Celtics were still elite impact wise.

Clippersfan86
05-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I remember Kevin's Boston years as him sacrificing himself individually, but also not being close to his prime particularly. When you look at the numbers+film though it's completely different. He's basically a slightly worse version than peak Minnesota (especially first 3 years). His metrics are similar, the only thing that really changed is his shot attempts, minutes and usage. His per 36 numbers are similar. He took about 6 less shots a game and played 6 less minutes a game (comparing his peak 5 Minnesota years with first 5 years in Boston).

So there was a bit of a drop off, but I think as time goes on we can look back with the current data/film we have and realize he was STILL an elite player on both ends impact wise a few years into the Boston tenure. KG truly had one of the most impressive resumes and a LONG prime compared to multiple contemporaries. We are talking about FIFTEEN years of a prime at a true star level impact. That's pretty unbelievable. His first year in Boston was the 2nd best year of his career according to the data.

Did you remember KG being that good in Boston, especially for that long? I remembered 1-2 good years in Boston, now with hindsight of data it's more interesting. Where do you rank KG all time? Celtics fans, where do you rank KG among Celtics all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ePuVttqJv4

FireDavidKahn
05-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Yep. Now imagine what KG could have achieved if he had a competent FO his entire career. Multiple chips.

If only we never traded Allen for Marbury...........

rawimpact
05-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Wally was a decent second option. That timberwolves team was pretty good - just not good enough.

Clippersfan86
05-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Yep. Now imagine what KG could have achieved if he had a competent FO his entire career. Multiple chips.

If only we never traded Allen for Marbury...........

Or if you guys just found a way to keep Billups. Imagine prime Big Shot with KG??? Kevin McHale was an idiot for choosing Brandon and telling Chauncey he's still going to be the backup after he went OFF in the playoffs. Billups showed he was ready for a bigger role and Minny blew it. Him and KG were best friends too. Read this excerpt from ESPN (as a fan maybe you're well informed already).

"Something clicks. Chauncey tells Piper, whom he has just married, to buy him suits and ties. Then, in February, Brandon suffers a season-ending injury. Finally, Chauncey's a starting NBA point guard. And all he does is take Minnesota to the playoffs. "The light just went on for him," Brandon says. "You could see the elevation. He got taller, bigger, wider. Confidence makes you larger, man. It makes you a superstar."

In the playoffs, against a loaded Dallas team, Chauncey averages 22 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.7 assists, and although the Wolves are swept, his timing is stellar. He's a free agent now, and learns he has a secret admirer: Detroit GM Joe Dumars. Dumars offers him $4.5 million, the mid-level exception, which the Timberwolves are willing to match. But there's a caveat: G.M. Kevin McHale tells him, "I have to be honest. Terrell's still our starter."

Chauncey thanks McHale for being frank and accepts the Pistons deal, his sixth team in five years. Mitchell almost cries when he hears the news, but Chauncey thanks him and Brandon for making him a point guard. Then, in the Billups Suite, Chauncey and KG share a goodbye embrace.

Both their britches are up."

FireDavidKahn
05-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Wally was a decent second option. That timberwolves team was pretty good - just not good enough.

I'll kinda give you that one. He was a decent offensive guy but dreadful defensively. If you had a very good 2nd option then Wally would be adequate as a 3rd option. But Wally as your second option? lulz.

The one year where we got Cassell and Sprewell showed was one of the first true times KG had pretty damn good help next to him. We probably would have made it to the Finals but Sam Cassell injured himself doing the ****ing big ball dance of his which forced KG to play Point guard:roll:

86Celtics
05-05-2020, 01:11 PM
I remember Kevin's Boston years as him sacrificing himself individually, but also not being close to his prime particularly. When you look at the numbers+film though it's completely different. He's basically a slightly worse version than peak Minnesota (especially first 3 years). His metrics are similar, the only thing that really changed is his shot attempts, minutes and usage. His per 36 numbers are similar. He took about 6 less shots a game and played 6 less minutes a game (comparing his peak 5 Minnesota years with first 5 years in Boston).

So there was a bit of a drop off, but I think as time goes on we can look back with the current data/film we have and realize he was STILL an elite player on both ends impact wise a few years into the Boston tenure. KG truly had one of the most impressive resumes and a LONG prime compared to multiple contemporaries. We are talking about FIFTEEN years of a prime at a true star level impact. That's pretty unbelievable. His first year in Boston was the 2nd best year of his career according to the data.

Did you remember KG being that good in Boston, especially for that long? I remembered 1-2 good years in Boston, now with hindsight of data it's more interesting. Where do you rank KG all time? Celtics fans, where do you rank KG among Celtics all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ePuVttqJv4

I wish he had stayed healthy because that team had more championships. But age and injuries took their toll and he was never the same player. Still his impact was phenomenal. He changed the culture. He was the driving force behind the 08 title. Not Pearce and certainly not Allen.

Ranking him is difficult. The Celtics saw the real Garnett for less than two seasons. After his injury and with the onset of age he started declining as did the team as a whole even though it remained competitive for a few good years. So, it's difficult to say where he stands among the ranks of Boston greats. The only thing for sure is that he is a favourit of a lot of Celtics fans and rightly so.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-05-2020, 01:52 PM
by the end of the 04 season many people thought he was a better player than peak Duncan

then after KG goes on the all time worst run of front office management ever including Joe Smith situation which cost them their future. He was on the worst rosters ever for an all timer and he was punished even more for being in one of the GOAT conference. Couple of those Wolves teams that missed playoffs after 04 easily make the Least and have deep runs

He had 1 season in Minnesota they put a good team around him and he made the WCF and was 2 games away from finals despite Sam Cassell (by far the best teammate he had in 12 years :roll:) fracturing his ribs with the big balls dance in game 7 kings

KG was just as good as Duncan TBH. The biggest difference between the 2 was coaching, supporting casts and front office decision making/roster building

When KG finally got a great supporting cast again he rekt the league in 08 and 08 Celts are one of the GOAT defenses and an all time team. In 09 they were on pace to be even better before his injury. That injury ended his prime and Celts lost to Dwights Magic without him and went to war with a baby Bulls team in a push series:roll: but he was still one of the highest impact player for years.

The Wolves since KG left still havent come close to making the playoffs besides the Jimmy Butler year and that still took the last game of the season where they had to beat an injured Nuggets team to do it and basically got swept right away too. They are the worst run franchise in sports

Horatio33
05-05-2020, 01:58 PM
by the end of the 04 season many people thought he was a better player than peak Duncan

Nice to see you starting off with grade A bulIshit

warriorfan
05-05-2020, 02:03 PM
KG and Steph Curry would be the greatest duo ever

FireDavidKahn
05-05-2020, 02:09 PM

then after KG goes on the all time worst run of front office management ever including Joe Smith situation which cost them their future. He was on the worst rosters ever for an all timer and he was punished even more for being in one of the GOAT conference. Couple of those Wolves teams that missed playoffs after 04 easily make the Least and have deep runs

He had 1 season in Minnesota they put a good team around him and he made the WCF and was 2 games away from finals despite Sam Cassell (by far the best teammate he had in 12 years :roll:) fracturing his ribs with the big balls dance in game 7 kings

KG was just as good as Duncan TBH. The biggest difference between the 2 was coaching, supporting casts and front office decision making/roster building

When KG finally got a great supporting cast again he rekt the league in 08 and 08 Celts are one of the GOAT defenses and an all time team. In 09 they were on pace to be even better before his injury. That injury ended his prime and Celts lost to Dwights Magic without him and went to war with a baby Bulls team in a push series:roll: but he was still one of the highest impact player for years.

The Wolves since KG left still havent come close to making the playoffs besides the Jimmy Butler year and that still took the last game of the season where they had to beat an injured Nuggets team to do it and basically got swept right away too. They are the worst run franchise in sports

This is where I'm at. Obviously Duncan came in more NBA ready but high school vs. 4 year college career.

I will always die on the hill that if you switched KG and Duncan from the get go that at the end of their careers KG would have won just as much as Duncan did in SA. But he didn't and I'll concede that fact and agree that Duncan > KG based rightfully on accomplishments. KG laid duds for sure but if there ever was an argument for a superstar having a horrible cast and FO, it's him.

FireDavidKahn
05-05-2020, 02:17 PM
KG and Steph Curry would be the greatest duo ever

Prime Ray Allen with KG could honestly have as well and that was SO close to happening. Maybe not peak peak as something like Shaq and Kobe but longevity (assuming they'd stay together) they absolutely could have. Such a perfect ying and yang between those two.

SOmetimes I wonder if I'd be such a diehard Wolves fan if my first NBA game wasn't this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2zudcnYkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VtZht_8t4

If one thing Garnett ever taught me being a Wolves fan, it's loyalty. It definitely bit him in the ass but loyalty is a lost art and him sticking around here despite the Wolves constantly ****ing him over is why I'll always defend him.

You want to know one of the worst parts of this? AFter that year our FO refused to give Billups an extension and he actually went into other teams locker rooms after games and begged for them to trade for him...

Hey Yo
05-05-2020, 02:17 PM

How come you don't consider the East to be a shit conference when referencing KG's time there?

How can HIS impact be so great, when all you've done in the past is say how shitty the Eastern conference was at that time?

Why the change of heart all of a sudden?