PDA

View Full Version : Is Luka any less athletic than guys like Pierce or Joe Johnson?

ralph_i_el
05-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Coming into the league, many people knocked Luka's athleticism. I never bought that, and I always maintained that he was overall an above (NBA) average athlete for his size.

I have a lot of time on my hands in quarantine, and I figured I would put some thought into what players had a similar size and type of movement on the court. I started watching old games with good swingman scorers. Obviously high-vert guys like Vince or T-Mac look a lot different on the court compared to Luka.

The two guys I found closest in agility/speed/balance/explosiveness to Luka were Paul Pierce and Joe Johnson. I never recalled either of those guys getting criticism for their athleticism.

Does it really just boil down to the fact Luka is a Euro? It seems like a lot of people who watch a lot of ball just blew this analysis at the time.

FultzNationRISE
05-11-2020, 04:38 PM
No, he’s easily more athletic than those guys. Him and Joe are probably similar, perhaps Luka by a hair. Definitely more athletic than Pierce IMO.

I dont follow a lot of pre-draft stuff typically but I dont remember many knocks on Luka’s athleticism.

I assume if anything it was more like questioning whether his athleticism translates to the NBA game, which is simply different than the Euro game. That question is probably relevant for most athletes coming here from Euro leagues. You wont really know how they stack up with nba athletes until you see it.

But I dont think many said his athleticism was doubtful. Could be wrong tho.

I did think his handle was pretty loose in the footage I saw of him as a prospect. Seems like it’s gotten better tho.

KissMySwag
05-11-2020, 04:45 PM
No, he’s easily more athletic than those guys. Him and Joe are probably similar, perhaps Luka by a hair. Definitely more athletic than Pierce IMO.

Maybe you're talking about old Pierce. young truth was every bit as athletic as Luka and Joe I would say more athletic than those two.

FultzNationRISE
05-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Maybe you're talking about old Pierce. young truth was every bit as athletic as Luka and Joe I would say more athletic than those two.

Depends what you consider athleticism I guess.

Of course Piece is very coordinated and skilled at using leverage. As far as pure running and jumping and hanging in the air, he’s never really been that guy.

KissMySwag
05-11-2020, 04:58 PM
Depends what you consider athleticism I guess.

Of course Piece is very coordinated and skilled at using leverage. As far as pure running and jumping and hanging in the air, he’s never really been that guy.

Yeah he was never jumping out the gym, and after thinking about it a bit more he's probably not more athletic than those two but I don't think any of them shouldn't be considered athletic even when comparing to other NBA players.

Lebron23
05-11-2020, 05:01 PM
Luka is very athletic for his size. Paul Pierce was athletic in his early years in the NBA.

r0drig0lac
05-11-2020, 05:30 PM
young PP and JJ? without a doubt, this is not really a question

LAL
05-11-2020, 05:34 PM
I've seen more athleticism from Pierce than JJ & Doncic

FultzNationRISE
05-11-2020, 05:38 PM
I've seen more athleticism from Pierce than JJ & Doncic

Can you show me some examples?

The guy gets like 3 inches off the ground when he jumps. He always has.

LAL
05-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Can you show me some examples?

The guy gets like 3 inches off the ground when he jumps. He always has.

Doesn't jump that high, but body control and flexibility is there, top 34 dunks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHj3nkU077I

Joe johnson doesn't even have a top 5 list

Bronbron23
05-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Luka is very athletic for his size. Paul Pierce was athletic in his early years in the NBA.

He is not very athletic at his size. Wtf are u talking about? Hes average at best but thats relatively speaking of course. Compared to an average human luka and most nba players are very athletic. Compared to nba players luka is average.

Axe
05-11-2020, 07:04 PM
We need to see his performance in the postseason.

SATAN
05-11-2020, 07:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loetm7BHqpM

Vino24
05-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Paul Pierce went toe to toe with Kobe in the 08 finals and won in 6 games. Before that Pierce went toe to toe with LeBron. This was an older Pierce.

HoopsNY
05-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Pierce was never athletically gifted. Luka isn't either. Joe Johnson was average at best as well. Athleticism is a good thing to have, but it doesn't eliminate you from being a great player by default. Luka is phenomenal and will be for years to come, most likely.