PDA

View Full Version : prime Alonzo Mourning vs.Current Joel Embiid

Lebron23
05-12-2020, 04:04 AM
Who do you think is the better player??

MrFonzworth
05-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Embiid by a massive margin. Better at everything.

LAmbruh
05-12-2020, 05:40 AM
Embiid by a massive margin. Better at everything.

this

Embiid was one lucky bounce from getting his 1st chip last season

career Zo? playoff choker artist

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 06:11 AM
Peak Mourning was better, basically the same offensive numbers with much much better defense. Zo was also a better athlete that played with unmatched tenacity.

SATAN
05-12-2020, 07:02 AM
It's a weird comparison. I want to say Embiid for all around sill level but Zo was probably the better defender. It's a hard one due to the nature of roles somewhat mutating. Mourning seems under rated these days. Hardly hear a mention of him but he was very good.

One on one it would be very interesting. Embiid might seem slow and lazy compared to the level of intensity that Alonzo used to bring. I could easily see him getting shut down.

Weird thread.

scuzzy
05-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Peak Mourning was better, basically the same offensive numbers with much much better defense. Zo was also a better athlete that played with unmatched tenacity.
fancy buzzwords with a whole little substance

Career Seasons -

Mourning - 15
Embiid - 4

NBA All-Defensive Teams

Mourning - 2x
Embiid - 2x

Peak Years

Mourning - 23, 10, 2
Embiid - 28, 14, 4

Axe
05-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Embiid was one lucky bounce from getting his 1st chip last season
I doubt if this would have happened

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 07:27 AM
fancy buzzwords with a whole little substance

Career Seasons -

Mourning - 15
Embiid - 4

NBA All-Defensive Teams

Mourning - 2x
Embiid - 2x

Peak Years

Mourning - 23, 10, 2
Embiid - 28, 14, 4

Read the thread again it said "Peak" Mourning vs. "Current" Embiid.

scuzzy
05-12-2020, 07:29 AM
Read the thread again it said "Peak" Mourning vs. "Current" Embiid.
Read my post again, 3rd year Embiid shits on prime Zo in every category

How many 1st round exits did Zo have? Six? ugh

MrFonzworth
05-12-2020, 07:34 AM

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

MrFonzworth
05-12-2020, 07:34 AM

:roll::oldlol::lol:lol:oldlol::roll:

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 07:39 AM
Read my post again, 3rd year Embiid shits on prime Zo in every category

How many 1st round exits did Zo have? Six? ugh

Why are you talking about 3rd year Embiid? Is "current" too fancy a word for you to understand?

Phoenix
05-12-2020, 08:22 AM

Their peak offensive numbers aren't the same. Embiid career PPG to this point is the same as ZO's career high ppg in 96. Embiid regressed a bit this year but last year he was 27ppg on 59%. Zo never came close to that production at any point.

I do think Zo maxed out his talent more than Embid has to this point, but Zo to me is more comparable to a Dwight Howard around 2009 than he is Embiid.

tpols
05-12-2020, 08:27 AM
embiid is a soft jumpshooting big whose lagely dissapeared in the playoffs.

ive never seen a guy that size hit the deck as often. Zo was much sturdier and more reliable.

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Their peak offensive numbers aren't the same. Embiid career PPG to this point is the same as ZO's career high ppg in 96. Embiid regressed a bit this year but last year he was 27ppg on 59%. Zo never came close to that production at any point.

I do think Zo maxed out his talent more than Embid has to this point, but Zo to me is more comparable to a Dwight Howard around 2009 than he is Embiid.

Op asked who is better between current Joel to prime Alonzo. Both has 23ppg but Zo was significantly more efficient.

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 09:33 AM
2019-20 Embiid (current)

23.4ppg .474fg% 11.8rb 3.1apg .9spg 1.3bpg

1995-96 Alonzo (Prime)

23.2ppg .523fg% 10.4rb 2.3apg 1spg 2.7bpg

Both are 25 years old so who is better in regards to what the OP asked?

Phoenix
05-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Op asked who is better between current Joel to prime Alonzo. Both has 23ppg but Zo was significantly more efficient.

If you're going to apply current in the absolute most inflexible definition of the term, as in NOW, ok sure. Zo never peaked as high as Embiid did last year and I suspect Embiids scoring will probably scale back up to the 27ppg range. Embiid isn't having as good a season but it should be obvious he has more scoring talent, whatever 'current' numbers say.

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 09:47 AM
If you're going to apply current in the absolute most inflexible definition of the term, as in NOW, ok sure. Zo never peaked as high as Embiid did last year and I suspect Embiids scoring will probably scale back up to the 27ppg range. Embiid isn't having as good a season but it should be obvious he has more scoring talent, whatever 'current' numbers say.

Except that i never said anything about who has more scoring talent, what i said was they had basically the same offensive numbers

Horatio33
05-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Embiid is the better, more skilled player, Mourning played HARD for every minute of every game. That's not a knock on Zo's skills, but its a knock on Embiid's heart.

warriorfan
05-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Embiid would be better if it wasn’t for him being brittle and soft. Alonzo.

Phoenix
05-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Except that i never said anything about who has more scoring talent, what i said was they had basically the same offensive numbers

I didn't say you did, but in the context of the thread it's not an inappropriate point to make generally. Zo really has one season of scoring at a level that Embiid has scored at since the last 3 years but sure, their 'current' numbers matchup for the sake of your argument.

Reggie43
05-12-2020, 10:08 AM
I didn't say you did, but in the context of the thread it's not an appropriate point to make generally. Zo really has one season of scoring at a level that Embiid has scored at since the last 3 years but sure, their 'current' numbers matchup for the sake of your argument.

The word "current" is very important to a player like Embiid because he is always injured. Are you really sure he could go back to the form he displayed a year ago?

Phoenix
05-12-2020, 10:11 AM
The word "current" is very important to a player like Embiid because he is always injured. Are you really sure he could go back to the form he displayed a year ago?

That's his biggest issue, between health and doesnt seem to have a great deal of fire in the belly. After the Sixers lost last year you'd think he would taken it to another level. Sometimes he plays below his talent level because I think he has the tools in general to be a top 2-3 player or even the best if he put it all together. For what's its worth I feel like Zo more or less maxed his ability and left it more than the floor than Embiid tends to.

Whoah10115
05-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Embiid is a more talented player. Better rebounder, better shooter, obviously more talented scorer.

But in addition to his legendary defense, Alonzo Mourning was also a scorer, a solid passer from what I remember, and tenacious is the right word. He played with fearlessness.

Getting excited about talents and stats in an inflated era isn't the way to go. And to the person who said Embiid was better at everything...too bad.

DoctorP
05-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Zo is a GOAT defensive center but in this NBA Im taking Embiid's offensive repertoire all day.

ZO's offense was limited and not very fluid. Cringey.