PDA

View Full Version : What is 1-9?

DoctorP
05-12-2020, 09:19 PM
Can someone explain to me the Jordan 1-9 thing?

If Pip was drafted in 87 why is he the savior of 1-9?

thanks

-doc

LeCroix
05-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Well you see think to this

There was a time with Jordan and no Pippen

85, 86, 87

MJ played 10 playoff games, resulted in 1 win 9 losses for 1-9

Then Pippen arrives, gives Bulls +10 wins from 40 to 50 and MJ finally gets out of the 1st round magically.

bullettooth
05-13-2020, 12:34 AM

85, 86, 87

Then Pippen arrives, gives Bulls +10 wins from 40 to 50 and MJ finally gets out of the 1st round magically.

Kind of like that time where LeBron failed to even make the playoffs in his first two years and then again in 2019 in his 'prime'.

FultzNationRISE
05-13-2020, 12:38 AM

85, 86, 87

:lebronamazed: :lebronamazed: :lebronamazed:

But at least him and Pippen tore up a super tough conference right?

It’s not like the East got suddenly weak and watered down in the early 90s I assume?

Bird and Barkley were still there in the 90s right and Isiah was in his prime...?

DoctorP
05-13-2020, 09:40 PM
oh so thats 1-9.

cmon, yall.

Roundball_Rock
05-13-2020, 10:44 PM

85, 86, 87

There also are 2 seasons in Washington where Jordan's team failed to make the playoffs and therefore he remained at 1-9 "without Pippen."

HoopsNY
05-13-2020, 11:01 PM
It's an immature way of evaluating Pippen's level of importance early on in his career. It places the emphasis on Pippen being the difference maker as opposed to other players (like Charles Oakley) and of course, Michael Jordan.

Pippen was a rookie that season, contributing a little over 7 ppg. In the series with the Cavs, he played very well game 5, scoring 24 points, 6 rebs, and 5 assists. But let's not forget Charles Oakley who grabbed 20 rebounds and dished 5 assists of his own, or Dave Corzine who scored 14 points on 7-12 shooting, 8 rebounds, and 2 blks himself. And of course, Mj who dropped 39 points and 6 assists, shooting 54.5% in that game.

Pippen was nowhere the first two wins of that series. But you know who was? Charles Oakley who scored 14 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in game 1, along with Sam Vincent who scored 17 points on 8-14 shooting. And Mj in game 1? 50 points and 7 rebounds on 54% shooting.

Game 2 was the other Chicago victory where Oakley went 17-12-7 on 61% shooting. Horace Grant chipped in 13 points and 14 rebounds off the bench. And MJ? Nothing special, just 55 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, on 53% shooting. Scottie didn't have a bad game as he grabbed 12 rebounds, but he had just 8 points and 3 turnovers in 30 minutes of play.

As you can see, Pippen isn't the difference maker in that series. It's time people give some credit to Oakley and his contribution, but more so, to MJ who played out of his mind.

Furthermore, do people really fault Chicago for losing to a Milwaukee team in Mj's ROOKIE season? A team that won 59 games and was arguably the best defense in the game?

Did people really expect a victory over the '85-'86 Celtics, arguably the greatest team of all time? These are childish comments that people make that lack substance.

Roundball_Rock
05-13-2020, 11:03 PM
It's an immature way of evaluating Pippen's level of importance early on in his career.

Pippen missed 47 minutes of Game 6 of the 89' ECF, there was the migraine game the next year. Both losses. The Bulls never showed an ability to win a playoff game sans him.

They did win a ECF game in 97' when Pippen went out in the first quarter--but Pippen was there when the winning margin was built. The Bulls played the Heat even the rest of the way.

HoopsNY
05-13-2020, 11:05 PM
There also are 2 seasons in Washington where Jordan's team failed to make the playoffs and therefore he remained at 1-9 "without Pippen."

So instead of rebutting the erroneous claim of "1-9," as if the ultimate difference in the wins over the Cavs boiled down to Scottie Pippen, you decide to throw jabs at a horrendous Wizards team with a 38-40 year old MJ? That's rich. This is why people can't take your analysis seriously when it comes to Kareem. Kareem gets the benefit of the doubt for missing the playoffs in his prime, but MJ gets your lip for being 40 on a horrid team?

HoopsNY
05-13-2020, 11:08 PM
This is the same guy who credits rookie Kukoc for a big role in the 94' Bulls winning 55 games.

False. Go look at my post about it most recently in response to this lie that you always claim about me.

Pippen missed 47 minutes of Game 6 of the 89' ECF, there was the migraine game the next year. Both losses. The Bulls never showed an ability to win a playoff game sans him.

This is what you constantly do. I make a claim, then you tip toe around that claim and respond to it with another time frame. It's rampant in many of your posts that are responses not only to myself, but others as well.

Where did I argue about the 1989 series? Re-read what I said.

They did win a ECF game in 97' when Pippen went out in the first quarter--but Pippen was there when the winning margin was built. The Bulls played the Heat even the rest of the way.

Non-sequitur. Who is arguing about any of this? The entire "1-9" premise is that Pippen was in fact the biggest difference maker in that season and first round of the playoffs. It just isn't true. You're smart enough to know that.

Roundball_Rock
05-13-2020, 11:10 PM
It's rampant in many of your posts that are responses not only to myself, but others as well.

Yeah, it is called responding to the OP with something I forgot to note earlier. :oldlol: You and the "LostCause" account have a very similar tendency to view threads as revolving around you.

HoopsNY
05-13-2020, 11:11 PM
Yeah, it is called responding to the OP with something I forgot to note earlier. You and "LostCause" have a very similar tendency to view threads as revolving around you.

That's funny. I clearly mentioned that you respond with some other claim in response to what it is that I say, in an effort to prove your point. This is just another example.

Roundball_Rock
05-13-2020, 11:19 PM
It is called having a discussion with multiple people. That is relevant information that goes to the OP and helps fuel "1-9." If the Bulls won one those 89' and 90' games "1-9" would have a giant hole in it but those losses continued the trend.

"1-9" is shorthand for something just like "3-6" is.

LeCroix
05-13-2020, 11:26 PM

HOL UP

So you tellin me MJ had FIVE YEARS without Pippen and he never won a playoff series or had a seaon over .500???

Roundball_Rock
05-13-2020, 11:31 PM
HOL UP

So you tellin me MJ had FIVE YEARS without Pippen and he never won a playoff series or had a seaon over .500???

Nope. Those were early and late in his career but those are the only seasons we have of him minus Pippen. In 1987 he was 2nd in MVP voting so he wasn't a puppy then. Earlier we heard he won MVP in 88' but he didn't come out of nowhere to do so. So what changed between 87' and 88'?

jstern
05-13-2020, 11:46 PM
1 - 9, that's Lebron's Finals record if it wasn't for Ray Allen's miracle shot, and the Golden State injuries/suspensions. Be grateful for those three chips. It could have easily been much worse.

LeCroix
05-14-2020, 01:29 AM
1 - 9, that's Lebron's Finals record if it wasn't for Ray Allen's miracle shot, and the Golden State injuries/suspensions. Be grateful for those three chips. It could have easily been much worse.

Fairy tales? :lol

Actually, 1-9 IS MJ's playoff record before Pippen

Not makebelieve, but real life