PDA

View Full Version : I consider Steph Curry a 3-point shooter, not a basketball player

3ball
05-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Today's game has eliminated shot-making between 5 and 22 feet, aka basketball

Instead, today's game is a DRILL - drive-and-kick, rinse-repeat - the most threes and layups wins... aka not basketball, it's a drill

ESPN ranks Steph over Dr. J.... Congrats Silver - you killed the game .. curry isn't better than Dr. J - curry doesn't even play basketball

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Basketball is a game in which the the team with the most points wins

What you said about Steph is true, but the evolution of the game is what it is and just that... evolution

You're scared of change because it threatens your livelihood (90s Jordan)

Youre the guy screaming about automatic washers and dryers and self driving cars

dankok8
05-14-2020, 03:11 PM
OP thinks that he gets to decide what's basketball and what isn't. For the record, I don't like Curry or his style but to say he doesn't play basketball... LMAO. He is easily one of the top 30 players that ever lived and probably top 20 as well and could be argued even higher given what he has accomplished. To call him just a shooter is ridiculous. He is an all-time great ball handler and a very good playmaker as well.

3ball
05-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Basketball is a game in which the the team with the most points wins

What you said about Steph is true, but the evolution of the game is what it is and just that... evolution

You're scared of change because it threatens your livelihood (90s Jordan)

Youre the guy screaming about automatic washers and dryers and self driving cars

Going from a wide variety of shot-making (shots from 5-22 feet) to just threes and layups is a DEVOLVEMENT of the game - the game has gone backwards, not forward... Today's player is a far worse shot-maker from 5-22 feet - that's most of the half court

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 03:17 PM
Going from a wide variety of shot-making (shots from 5-22 feet) to just threes and layups is a DEVOLVEMENT of the game - the game has gone backwards, not forward... Today's player is a far worse shot-maker from 5-22 feet - that's most of the half court
Team sport my man

3 is worth more than 2 so that skill takes higher precedent in this Era

Lebron has a big edge on Jordan in that department as well

3ball
05-14-2020, 03:19 PM
Team sport my man

3 is worth more than 2 so that skill takes higher precedent in this Era

Lebron has a big edge on Jordan in that department as well

Today's player is a vastly worse shot-maker from 5-22 feet, aka they're inferior at basketball

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Today's player is a vastly worse shot-maker from 5-22 feet, aka they're inferior at basketball
Basketball is a sport in which the team with the most points wins

3 is worth more than 2, so that skill takes higher precedent in this Era

Akeem34TheDream
05-14-2020, 03:36 PM
I would like to see a professional basketball league without the 3pt shot today. Would it look like 40 years ago? I dont think so.

fsvr54
05-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Except he has great handles and can finish inside the 3 pt line.

Vino24
05-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Op thinks long 2’s is a good shot :oldlol:

3ball
05-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Op thinks long 2’s is a good shot :oldlol:

I just think you should be good at basketball with or without a 3-point line (and I'm referring to the NBA level)

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 03:54 PM
I just think you should be good at basketball with or without a 3-point line

There are many players great at midrange and 3pt. shots

Jordan wasn't one of them

Vino24
05-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Jordan wasn't one of themthis is what he can’t sleep over

Sulico
05-14-2020, 04:13 PM
So if there is no 3 he have 26/5/7 with 2 steals in his prime instead of 30/5/7
Not a basketball player?
Are you an idiot of some kind?

Lebron23
05-14-2020, 04:15 PM
Curry would beat Jordan in 3 points competition, and might even beat him 1 on 1 if Curry starts raining 3 pointers.

Bronbron23
05-14-2020, 04:17 PM
Today's game has eliminated shot-making between 5 and 22 feet, aka basketball

Instead, today's game is a DRILL - drive-and-kick, rinse-repeat - the most threes and layups wins... aka not basketball, it's a drill

ESPN ranks Steph over Dr. J.... Congrats Silver - you killed the game .. curry isn't better than Dr. J - curry doesn't even play basketball

Not a big steph fan but i couldn't disagree more. Steph is one of the best offensive players ive ever seen. Yeah the era helps a bit but steph is pretty sick in any era dude

Axe
05-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Lol don't let your insufferable counterpart come here and ridicule you with you-know-what, 3ball. 😂

3ball
05-14-2020, 04:28 PM

Jordan wasn't one of them

Jordan would be shooting threes with his eyes closed in today's game

He'd have more volume than anyone, by far, in games and practicing, just like he did with 2-point jumpshooting

Meanwhile, his form and control on release has always been goat. That wouldn't change..

Aside from the shortened line years, MJ averaged less than 1.5 attempts every year - he took mostly bailouts and has a 12 minute video of bailout threes to prove it... Edit: he averaged 3 attempts in 90' and 93' at 35 and 38%, so his percentage was higher at higher volume (sign of a great jumpshooter)

Infact, MJ shot 40% on threes whenever he took 4+ attempts in regular season games from 85-93'.. So when he got going - he shot well - he was almost never chucking, i.e. 1-6 from three, etc.. MJ would have the opportunity to get going every night in today's 3-pointer strategy and higher volume.. if MJ took 10 shots of something, he usually hits 4, on his bad days

And regarding Steph - I just looked up some Jerry West to get ready for that comparison.. Jerry's stats were so impressive... throughout his career... Then I looked at Steph's - at 5 attempts per game, he was only a 19 ppg scorer for 3 years in a row - so he was never putting up crazy stats without threes like Jerry.. Curry doesn't compare to West..

Whoah10115
05-14-2020, 04:32 PM
So what about the ball-handling, the flair, the creativity?

I'm just playing, I don't care.

Vino24
05-14-2020, 04:36 PM
MJ was never good at 3’s and he certainly wouldn’t shoot them with his eyes closed :oldlol:

Bronbron23
05-14-2020, 04:44 PM
MJ was never good at 3’s and he certainly wouldn’t shoot them with his eyes closed :oldlol:

Not true. Shot the 3 ball pretty good on the finals which is most important time.

3ball
05-14-2020, 04:45 PM

80-88' Playoffs Bird.... 1.4 three-attempts at 34.9%
85-93' Playoffs MJ..... 2.1 three-attempts at 35.2%

^^^ everyone thinks Bird would do great at threes in today's game so why not MJ and his better form and stats??

Aside from the shortened line years, MJ averaged less than 1.5 attempts every year - he took mostly bailouts and has a 12 minute video of bailout threes to prove it... Edit: he averaged 3 attempts in 90/93 at 35 and 38%, so his percentage was higher at higher volume (sign of a great jumpshooter)

Infact, MJ shot 40% on threes whenever he took 4+ attempts in regular season games from 85-93'.. So when he got going - he shot well - he was almost never chucking, i.e. 1-6 from three, etc.. MJ would have the opportunity to get going every night in today's 3-point strategy and higher volume.. if MJ took 10 shots of something, he usually hits 4, on his bad days

He'd have more volume than anyone, by far, in games and practicing, just like he did with 2-point jumpshooting.. Meanwhile, his form and control on release has always been goat. That wouldn't change..

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 04:45 PM

He'd have more volume than anyone, by far, in games and practicing, just like he did with 2-point jumpshooting

Meanwhile, his form and control on release has always been goat. That wouldn't change..

Aside from the shortened line years, MJ averaged less than 1.5 attempts every year - he took mostly bailouts and has a 12 minute video of bailout threes to prove it... Edit: he averaged 3 attempts in 90' and 93' at 35 and 38%, so his percentage was higher at higher volume (sign of a great jumpshooter)

Infact, MJ shot 40% on threes whenever he took 4+ attempts in regular season games from 85-93'.. So when he got going - he shot well - he was almost never chucking, i.e. 1-6 from three, etc.. MJ would have the opportunity to get going every night in today's 3-pointer strategy and higher volume.. if MJ took 10 shots of something, he usually hits 4, on his bad days

And regarding Steph - I just looked up some Jerry West to get ready for that comparison.. Jerry's stats were so impressive... throughout his career... Then I looked at Steph's - at 5 attempts per game, he was only a 19 ppg scorer for 3 years in a row - so he was never putting up crazy stats without threes like Jerry.. Curry doesn't compare to West..
I think Steph is the most overrated player in NBA history... and he doesn't define this Era.. , so it doesn't matter

Im more interested in guys like Durant, Kawhi, LeBron, CP3, etc.

ralph_i_el
05-14-2020, 07:46 PM
This is all based on the insane premise that Steph Curry isn't already a great midrange shooter. Of course he wouldn't be as good without the 3. Shaq wouldn't be as good if we got rid of dunks.

HoopsNY
05-14-2020, 07:52 PM
You can't ignore Steph's superior dribbling/ball handling skills. He also averages 6.6 assists for his career, which really isn't bad given that he has been the #1 option for his team in most of the years he has played. He's not the worst defender in the league and he has amazing speed/quickness. Also, Steph is an excellent playmaker and pretty decent when it comes to driving the ball.

How is he not a basketball player? He doesn't ONLY shoot threes. He's not Kyle Korver.

tpols
05-14-2020, 08:09 PM
You can't ignore Steph's superior dribbling/ball handling skills. He also averages 6.6 assists for his career...

He averaged 9 apg under mark jackson. the team was good, but not great.

it was only when he relinquished his PnR spam and iso for off ball that the warriors became all time great because it allowed players like dray and an added iggy to flourish.

once again... 3ball showing his lack of knowledge. it would be one thing if the 3 pt shot was JUST added. It wasnt. MJ played his whole career with a 3 pt line even a shortened one lmao!

tontoz
05-14-2020, 08:57 PM
OP doesnt even watch games. His opinion has about the same value as the dirt on the bottom of my shoe.

Boarman1
05-14-2020, 09:56 PM
That's crazy, a two time MVP isn't a basketball player

Steph is the best shooter in the world and in NBA history. Steph literally changed the game

Yes it's a lot of driving and kicking, but that's evolution, the game changes as time moves on.

I think Steve Kerr said it best, Steph is the most valuable player for the Warriors because he controls the pace, he runs the offense, and because of his shooting he generates a ton of attnetion. This leads to open looks for his teammates

ShawkFactory
05-14-2020, 10:14 PM
Make a player in 2k who is a ridiculous shooter that changed the game because he shot from everywhere.

45% on 11 3s a game. That’s what an insane shooter did in college but he did it at the next level.

Borderline cheat code

Axe
05-15-2020, 04:31 AM
Make a player in 2k who is a ridiculous shooter that changed the game because he shot from everywhere.

45% on 11 3s a game. That’s what an insane shooter did in college but he did it at the next level.

Borderline cheat code
Hesoyam? 🤔😂

SATAN
05-15-2020, 04:39 AM
This thread is further proof that 3ball is a ridiculous troll. Ban.

iamgine
05-15-2020, 04:45 AM
OP is entitled to his opinion. :confusedshrug:

Round Mound
05-15-2020, 04:46 AM
I don't mind great 3-point shooters...but now everyone want's to be like Steph. Its all 3 pointers today no post game, no mid range game, no handchecking, no centers camping in the middle etc the game has changed alot.

SATAN
05-15-2020, 04:51 AM
I don't mind great 3-point shooters...but now everyone want's to be like Steph. Its all 3 pointers today no post game, no mid range game, no handchecking, no centers camping in the middle etc the game has changed alot.

Those still exists, just to a smaller degree. It's about efficiency and what you have to work with. You can always stop watching NBA?

KobesFinger
05-15-2020, 05:33 AM

This was the case before Steph was an MVP calibre player, especially the lack of handchecking.

Dr Hawk
05-15-2020, 05:58 AM
3pointers, screens, blocks, positioning, dribbling, dunking, reading the plays, etc... are all equally basketball.

Hey Yo
05-15-2020, 10:50 AM
This is all based on the insane premise that Steph Curry isn't already a great midrange shooter. Of course he wouldn't be as good without the 3. Shaq wouldn't be as good if we got rid of dunks.
Well, considering we rarely see Steph take routine mid-range shots during games, how can we say he IS great from mid-range?? Sure, he might be able to make em' in shoot-arounds but game time / while contested it's been practically un-seen.

.074% of Curry's career FGA have been from 10-16ft. Then, .090% of his shots are from 3-10ft. Then .122% is from 16ft-3pt line

0-3ft = .171% and then 3pt shots = .481%. It's pretty much either at the rim or behind the line for his FGA. If he mixed in more mid-range, then it would keep the defense guessing.

Hey Yo
05-15-2020, 10:56 AM
That's crazy, a two time MVP isn't a basketball player

Steph is the best shooter in the world and in NBA history. Steph literally changed the game

Yes it's a lot of driving and kicking, but that's evolution, the game changes as time moves on.

I think Steve Kerr said it best, Steph is the most valuable player for the Warriors because he controls the pace, he runs the offense, and because of his shooting he generates a ton of attnetion. This leads to open looks for his teammates
He's the best 3pt shooter in the world and NBA history

Big difference between the 2

Axe
05-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Just a great 3-point shooter without any iconic playoff moment whatsoever?

Uncle Drew
05-15-2020, 11:01 AM
I consider OP a retard, not a human being.

Wally450
05-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Guys... I don't think we should mess with 3ball.

I have more of a Mamba mentality and always tried to beat NBA players when I played them in 1-on-1

I was never humbled by anyone and never could be

When I played Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton, I was busting Richard's ass to the point that Luke had to berate his buddy about it

I dunked on Zach Randolph 4 times in a row and destroyed him (okay he was still in HS at the time but an all-american)

I double-pump dunked on another McDonald's all American Evan Burns

Me and Raja Bell almost fought in one of my first practices at FIU because I was a newcomer that was playing well and I'd started talking shit - Raj felt insecure and tried to start something because it was his team

Another time I was dominating Carlos Arroyo and he couldn't get by me (he did make 3 consecutive threes to mitigate this fact and "blow the game open", but I was still dominating his team)

I outplayed Jay Edwards in a pickup game

Anthony Parker once embarrassed me by ripping me and going in for the dunk... But I got him back by locking him down the rest of the game - this was significant because NO ONE could stop AP back then - he was like Jordan in pick up

I got to play with Rony Seikaly and John Salmons... This was 1999, and Salmons was a little ahead of the game in the handles department.. he had already mastered some of the new school moves and I my ankles got broke so many times.. the most I've ever had my ankles broke

Played on Udonis Haslem's team in a pickup game and hit a catch-and-shoot game-winner off his pindown screen (also posterized Kentucky standout Gimel Martinez in that game)

Hardest I ever been dunked on was by Tony Farmer (former Warrior)

Bonzi Wells and Courtney James were on my AAU team (and not the best player on the team)

Many more...

Ran into James Harden at the inglewood DMV once waiting in a long ass line.. he was talking with his homie about going back to his Escalade and getting another swig of the Hennessy

RRR3
05-15-2020, 12:09 PM
Lol I love his tall tales. Dude’s never met any of those guys.

1987_Lakers
05-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Wow, dude is legit Charlie Zelenoff.

Vino24
05-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Steph’s 3pt shooting is the equivalent of being a 60% midrange shooter. I can see why op is trying to tear him down

Stephonit
05-15-2020, 12:19 PM
I consider Michael Jordan a dunker, not a basketball player.

Turbo Slayer
05-15-2020, 12:19 PM
I consider Michael Jordan a dunker, not a basketball player. :oldlol:

RRR3
05-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Oh god.

Are we about to have the ultimate stan battle? 3ball vs. Stephonit?

Vino24
05-15-2020, 01:48 PM

Agree!

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-15-2020, 01:52 PM

Woah. That's actually a worse take than OP's. Jordan at least plays defense :lol

tpols
05-15-2020, 01:57 PM

Ether. :lol

Vragrant
05-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Of course Steph is a great basketball player. He can pretty much do anything defensive woes aside. Even then I consider him an average defender, better than people give him credit for. That being said, he can score consistently from midrange when called upon(teams taking away the 3ptrs). Because he's the greatest long range shooter ever itsjust not as noticeable.

3ball
05-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Historical facts:

- Curry was a 19 ppg player for three straight years when he took low threes (only 5 threes a game) - he didn't exceed 20 ppg until the took high volume of threes.. Otoh, West was a 27 ppg scorer with no threes

- Most of Curry's shots are threes from 24+ feet - he wouldn't be allowed to take these shots in the 70's with no 3-point line and therefore would be a much lesser player (likely wouldn't pursue bball as a youth)

- Curry "revolutionized" the game by reducing the number of shot types to 2 (layups and threes), compared to infinite shot variety (layups, threes, mid-range).. Edit: this reduction of shot types is infact a "devolvement" of the game

Uncle Drew
05-15-2020, 06:00 PM

This mfer is legit schizophrenic. :roll:

RRR3
05-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Wow, dude is legit Charlie Zelenoff.
He's a pathological liar. He's said so many outlandish things on here. Eventually he'll probably start claiming he IS MJ.

Smoke117
05-15-2020, 06:03 PM
OP is just salty because Curry's 2016 season is statistically the greatest offensive season of all time...even over any of Michael Jordan's.

Bronbron23
05-15-2020, 07:00 PM
OP is entitled to his opinion. :confusedshrug:

No not an opinion like that. Most of his takes are reasonable this is not. How the hell is steph not a basketball player? What in the f*ck does that even mean?

And he does slot more than shoot threes. I hate to have to defend steph because his not one of my favorite players but saying he isnt a basketball player is crazy.

Akeem34TheDream
05-15-2020, 07:04 PM
3ball criticizing 3ball.

Bronbron23
05-15-2020, 07:50 PM
3ball criticizing 3ball.

Whatever u say manny98

Goalgoalabc
05-15-2020, 08:00 PM
I would say every period has its style. This time is 3-point game

Axe
05-15-2020, 08:12 PM
I would say every period has its style. This time is 3-point game
Duh

Whoah10115
05-15-2020, 09:27 PM
He's a pathological liar. He's said so many outlandish things on here. Eventually he'll probably start claiming he IS MJ.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/126714d164747fb9b0b8cfb852864267/tenor.gif

What if he is???

3ball
05-16-2020, 03:17 AM
Historical facts:

- Curry was a 19 ppg player for three straight years when he took low threes (only 5 threes a game) - he didn't exceed 20 ppg until the took high volume of threes.. Otoh, West was a 27 ppg scorer with no threes

- Most of Curry's shots are threes from 24+ feet - he wouldn't be allowed to take these shots in the 70's with no 3-point line and therefore would be a much lesser player (likely wouldn't pursue bball as a youth)

- Curry "revolutionized" the game by reducing the number of shot types to 2 (layups and threes), compared to infinite shot variety (layups, threes, mid-range).. Edit: this reduction of shot types is infact a "devolvement" of the game

So no one

AirFederer
05-16-2020, 04:19 AM
A trainwreck of a thread, even by ISH standards

tontoz
05-16-2020, 11:07 AM
HISTORICAL FACT- When Steph came into the league he had to share the backcourt with Monta Ellis, a ball hog. After Ellis got traded Steph averaged 23 ppg (coming off an injury which some thought was career threatening) and has been lighting it up ever since.

BigShotBob
05-16-2020, 11:35 AM
He does need to mix his game up more