PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Kevin Durant will end up being top 5 all-time?

Run DLC
05-14-2020, 03:18 PM
What will it take for him to make the top 5 list? Or do you think he’s already there?

Soundwave
05-14-2020, 03:20 PM
Depends on how his injury heals, he was debatably on track prior to that.

Roundball_Rock
05-14-2020, 03:21 PM
No shot--compare his resume to people like KAJ, MJ, and LeBron. Top 15, though, is within range. If he retired today he is top 20.

Phoenix
05-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Nah. He may have been top 25 by 2016 but I don't feel like the two chips with the Warriors were that much a legacy bump. It certainly didnt leapfrog him 5-10 spots or whatever. If he comes back strong next year at 32, his window is closing to amass enough accolades to crack top 10, let alone top 5. Like he'd have to come back and 3peat with like 2 MVPs to entertain that discussion. And I don't see the Nets ( assuming best case) as being favoured over teams like the Clips, Lakers and Bucks to win.

Lion's pride
05-14-2020, 03:43 PM
KD is actually under appreciated.. The fact that he, IMO, became the top player over Lebron a few years ago, YET never gets called it means he lacks the necessary "respect" "Hype" or whatever else matters when reflecting all-time greatness.

RogueBorg
05-14-2020, 03:44 PM
What will it take for him to make the top 5 list? Or do you think he’s already there?

At 31 years of age he may never be the same. If we've seen the best of KD then no, I'm not putting him up there with these guys

MJ
Kareem
Wilt
Russell
LBJ

ImKobe
05-14-2020, 03:48 PM
KD is actually under appreciated.. The fact that he, IMO, became the top player over Lebron a few years ago, YET never gets called it means he lacks the necessary "respect" "Hype" or whatever else matters when reflecting all-time greatness.

People simply hated him for joining the Warriors and giving Lebron B2B Finals losses.

If he wins one post-GSW, he'll get plenty of top 10 arguments down the line. Top 5 is a tough one, he should have stayed with GSW and won 2 more there, people eventually would have given him his dues. It's undeniable that skill-wise he's top 10 all-time though.

Roundball_Rock
05-14-2020, 03:59 PM

That's because he surpassed LeBron due to LeBron aging, not straight up. When both were in their primes LeBron was consensus #1 with Durant the #2 year after year in the 2010's.

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2020, 04:02 PM
People simply hated him for joining the Warriors and giving Lebron B2B Finals losses.

If he wins one post-GSW, he'll get plenty of top 10 arguments down the line. Top 5 is a tough one, he should have stayed with GSW and won 2 more there, people eventually would have given him his dues. It's undeniable that skill-wise he's top 10 all-time though.
Do people really think fans hated Durant going to the Warriors only because of LeBron :lol Sure, I know a lot of the board was happy about it because it prevented LeBron from winning additional titles, but outside of this asylum people care about more than 3 players. I'm sure a lot of them disliked the fact the playoffs had become boring and the champion was a mere formality

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 04:05 PM
He'll be fringe too 10, ahead of Kobe for sure though. Just a better and more impactful player. Durant was very unlucky pre Warriors having to play peak LeBron in the finals. Westbrick was a horrible 2nd option and they had horrible role players every year in OKC. Just bad luck.

Phoenix
05-14-2020, 04:12 PM
KD is even on record as saying winning the championships didnt give him the fulfillment he was seeking:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/30/kevin-durant-i-thought-championship-would-fill-void-but-it-didnt/amp/

This is like somebody 3/4 of the way up Everest using a helicopter to finish the journey. Of course you're not going to be fulfilled, you cheated yourself out of the feeling of making that final 1/4 climb.

RRR3
05-14-2020, 04:14 PM
He'll be fringe too 10, ahead of Kobe for sure though. Just a better and more impactful player. Durant was very unlucky pre Warriors having to play peak LeBron in the finals. Westbrick was a horrible 2nd option and they had horrible role players every year in OKC. Just bad luck.
I remember when you stanned WB hard on your Budadiii/Kiiing accounts...

Bronbron23
05-14-2020, 05:12 PM

Hes not close to being there now and he'll be 31 coming off an Achilles injury. Hes pretty much done as far as winning chips so he dosnt have a chance at cracking tbe top 5

AlternativeAcc.
05-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Hes not close to being there now and he'll be 31 coming off an Achilles injury. Hes pretty much done as far as winning chips so he dosnt have a chance at cracking tbe top 5

Brooklyn will be a threat every year if healthy. The league is more balanced now that the Warriors broke up and LeBron is on his last legs

Durants game will be fine, he's gonna win more rings if they stay healthy

Whoah10115
05-14-2020, 05:15 PM
https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/hell-naw-gif-18.gif

Lebron23
05-14-2020, 05:15 PM
He needs to win more regular season mvp, and win a championship in Brooklyn.

Doranku
05-14-2020, 05:17 PM
He would need to 3-peat with the Nets to be considered for top 5 all-time. So yeah, never happening lmfao I'd be shocked if he even makes the finals once.

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2020, 05:31 PM
He would need to 3-peat with the Nets to be considered for top 5 all-time. So yeah, never happening lmfao I'd be shocked if he even makes the finals once.
For real, even making the Finals once would be a significant accomplishment for him at this point. You've got a 32 year old coming off a critical injury with a sidekick who literally can't even stay on the court, I can't say my outlook for them is positive. At best they should be making the 2nd round/ECF for his first few years in Brooklyn

brownmamba00
05-14-2020, 05:32 PM
For real, even making the Finals once would be a significant accomplishment for him at this point. You've got a 32 year old coming off a critical injury with a sidekick who literally can't even stay on the court, I can't say my outlook for them is positive. At best they should be making the 2nd round/ECF for his first few years in Brooklyn

Damn just realized kd is 32. **** im getting old.

Smoke117
05-14-2020, 05:34 PM
lol There is no chance in hell he'll even be top 10 much less top 5. He probably won't even be top 15. He'll be 32 during the 20-21 season coming off a career altering injury. That's all beside the point that the Nets are never winning any titles so there will be no success either. Nobody is impressed by his two titles as it is now. He pretty much ended his chance of ever being a top 10 player of all time when he joined a 73 win team.

Manny98
05-14-2020, 05:34 PM
If he 3-peats with the Nets he's the GOAT

Axe
05-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Unlikely.

Wally450
05-14-2020, 06:24 PM
No chance. He's essentially only got one MVP. No one really counts his GS rings. Hell, even he doesn't really look at his own rings as meaningful.

Jasper
05-14-2020, 06:46 PM
nope --- he is just a jump shooter..

Uncle Drew
05-14-2020, 06:52 PM
That ship sailed long ago. He has the tools to be the most unstoppable offensive force the game has ever seen, but he is too mentaly fragile. He will never be a top 10 player either.

Goalgoalabc
05-14-2020, 07:15 PM
Depends on how his injury heals, he was debatably on track prior to that.

Agreed. At this moment, he is really really hard to become top 5 all-time

dreamshake
05-24-2020, 02:16 PM
Durant is already in the top 10. He just needs to win a few more rings in a few attempts to move up.

Top 10 Dominant NBA players of all time (NBA finals records wins/losses):
1. Michael Jordan (6/6, 100%)
2. Bill Russell (11/12, 92%)
3. Tim Duncan (5/6, 83%)
4. Kobe Bryant (5/7, 71%)
5. Shaquille O'Neal (4/6, 67%)
6. Kawhi Leonard (2/3, 67%)
7. Kareem Abdul Jabbar (6/10, 60%)
8. Larry Bird (3/5, 60%)
9. Magic Johnson (5/9, 56%)
10. Kevin Durant (2/4, 50%)

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:17 PM
Durant is already in the top 10. He just needs to win a few more rings in a few attempts to move up.

Top 10 NBA players of all time (NBA finals records wins/losses):
3. Tim Duncan (5/6, 83%)
8. Larry Bird (3/5, 60%)

Are you posting on your big brother's account? Hard to believe you were alive in 2010 tbh.

Rico2016
05-24-2020, 02:18 PM
No shot--compare his resume to people like KAJ, MJ, and LeBron. Top 15, though, is within range. If he retired today he is top 20.

This

Top 3 is cemented with LBJ, Kareem, MJ in that order. Then it gets tricky for #4 and #5 but KD isn't there with two snake rings. I'd say #4 is probably Bill Russell and #5 is Shaq or Magic or Duncan. But who ever it is, it is NOT Snake Durant.

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Top 10 Dominant NBA players of all time (NBA finals records wins/losses):
3. Tim Duncan (5/6, 83%)
8. Larry Bird (3/5, 60%)
11 titles & 12 Finals is less dominant than 6 titles & 6 Finals

FKAri
05-24-2020, 02:30 PM
Only if he is yet to reach his peak. He needs to put together at least 2 more seasons of play higher than anything we've seen from him.

deathawaitu
05-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Unless he wins back to back or 3peat in Brooklyn, he doesn’t have a chance to crack top 5.

However he does has a chance to be the 2nd best SF after bird if he wins 1-2 more championship

light
05-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Brooklyn will be a threat every year if healthy. The league is more balanced now that the Warriors broke up and LeBron is on his last legs

Durants game will be fine, he's gonna win more rings if they stay healthy

LeBron will be on this kind of "last legs" for like 4 years though with Anthony Davis - by far the best teammate he's ever had. So I'm not sure the league will be more balanced or that the Lakers aren't just going to dominate the next 4 seasons.

I do think next year's ECF will be Bucks-Nets and I do think the Nets may make it to the NBA Finals.

Soundwave
05-24-2020, 05:57 PM
If he wins say two more titles in Brooklyn along with a scoring title or two ... he has a case.

Axe
05-24-2020, 08:13 PM
He'll be ranked higher than curry, that's for sure.

Gimmedarock
05-24-2020, 10:42 PM
If he comes back and is maybe 80% of what he was, he has a shot to be top 10. Based on KD at his best, he would be a top 5. The injury hurts his chances though. If he’d continued rolling with no injury and maybe got one more chip, I think he’d be top 5.

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2020, 10:55 PM
If he comes back and is maybe 80% of what he was, he has a shot to be top 10. Based on KD at his best, he would be a top 5. The injury hurts his chances though. If he’d continued rolling with no injury and maybe got one more chip, I think he’d be top 5.
:biggums: What :oldlol: Top 5 piggybacking off an already establish championship team to win rings? Even with another chip, I honestly don't see how you'd even rank him ahead of Kobe or Hakeem, let alone guys like Bird/Magic/Duncan/Shaq. What criteria would you even use?

Rico2016
05-24-2020, 10:56 PM
Unless he wins back to back or 3peat in Brooklyn, he doesn’t have a chance to crack top 5.

However he does has a chance to be the 2nd best SF after bird if he wins 1-2 more championship

Small forward: LeBron = 6911 points (1st) Good luck to Kevin Durant, maybe he can do it! He has a chance to pass Dr. J and LeBron, he just recently passed up Bird after his 5th Final in 2019. We shall see if you are right. Here are the standings thus far:

LeBron - 6911
Dr. J - 4580
KD - 4043
Bird - 3897
Pip - 3642
Kawhi - 2164 (yikes)

Good luck to all small forward participants

2ball
05-24-2020, 11:31 PM
Durant will be top 10 easily. He already had 2fmvps and an mvp plus a slew of other awards. His volume scoring and midrange (actual basketball) is much better than lebrons

dankok8
05-24-2020, 11:44 PM
What in the hell... No! Kevin Durant will never be top 5 all time, or top 10 all time. It will never happen. Who would you remove from the pantheon to put him there? This is ridiculous.

Rico2016
05-24-2020, 11:46 PM
Durant will be top 10 easily. He already had 2fmvps and an mvp plus a slew of other awards. His volume scoring and midrange (actual basketball) is much better than lebrons

It's possible, here is the runnings thus far for small forwards:

LeBron - 6911
Dr. J - 4580
KD - 4043
Bird - 3897
Pip - 3642

hold this L
05-25-2020, 12:02 AM
Needs either 2 rings & 1-2 MPVs or 3 rings to get into that conversation.

HoopsNY
05-25-2020, 12:42 AM
KD's legacy has been really hurt given the fact that his rings come off the strength of joining a 73 win team. In addition, he's not a great defensive player and with the exception of Magic, all top 10 players are up there as having stellar careers defensively. And Magic was no slouch defensively, particularly his first 3-4 years.

CTbasketball92
05-25-2020, 12:50 AM
No chance. He's essentially only got one MVP. No one really counts his GS rings. Hell, even he doesn't really look at his own rings as meaningful.

I lol'd at the bolded and shamefully, it does my heart good to see that no one really gives KD that much credit for his chips.

I think if KD is 95% of the player he was when he returns and is able to have four more solid top 5 player years somehow, he's got a nominal case for top 10 ever.

That said, in terms of peak ability and impact, he doesn't seem as good as MJ, LeBron, Magic, Kareem or Shaq, and I also wouldn't say he was a better player than Larry Bird, and while he might put up better regular season stats than Kobe, he really never rose to the occasion in the playoffs outside of 2012 and so I wouldn't really put him over Kobe either. I don't really think KD's a better player than Charles Barkley was and def. not Hakeem Olajuwon. I've seen enough and unless he adds some level of GOAT IQ or GOAT playoff scoring ability in a vacuum, I'm not putting him all that close to a top 5 spot

Gimmedarock
05-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Ideal situation for KD has him just making top 5

I’d go:

Lebron
Jordan
Kobe
Kareem
KD

If the main factor is rings, then he may not get that high. That’s why Bill Russell is stop top 10. If it’s about pure talent, KD makes top 5. I’d rather build a team around him than Shaq, Bird, or Magic. Dude is just versatile.

hold this L
05-25-2020, 01:50 AM

I’d go:

Lebron
Jordan
Kobe
Kareem
KD

If the main factor is rings, then he may not get that high. That’s why Bill Russell is stop top 10. If it’s about pure talent, KD makes top 5. I’d rather build a team around him than Shaq, Bird, or Magic. Dude is just versatile.

Well.. if he never wins another ring, this will proven to be a dumb take though.

Phoenix
05-25-2020, 04:19 AM

I’d go:

Lebron
Jordan
Kobe
Kareem
KD

I can't imagine any era where building around Durant versus Shaq yields better results, including this era. If you gave Shaq some dependable 3 n D players in 2020 he's going to win some rings. Leaving the perimeter open for guys to spam 3s for doubling Shaq, or leaving him to single coverage and staying home on the perimeter so he drops 40 on your head. That maybe the greatest pick your poison situation ever. Durant needed a team with literally the 3 greatest shooters ever( at least 3 of the top 5 or 6) to win championships.

999Guy
05-25-2020, 04:31 AM

I’d go:

Lebron
Jordan
Kobe
Kareem
KD

Durant isn’t even this versatile team player.

He played pound the rock ball with Westbrook in OKC, hijacked the offense in the last 2 golden state years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/g8ye07/draymond_18_season_kd_wasnt_as_happy_he_wasnt_as/

2017 was his peak and it was a joke. He went and joined this era’s Magic and rode his offensive coattails to a dominant playoff run. The stakes made him play as serious as ever as far as fundamentals. He came in. Picked his spots perfectly, played the best defense of his life, and won a dull title.

Once the unfulfillment set in he completely stopped playing good defense in 2018 and 2019.

His blocks went up and the Warriors defense fell off a cliff because he started doing what he felt like doing on defense, just like on offense and nobody stopped him because they didn’t want him to leave.

https://youtu.be/E_Fs70vXp8w

So now that is the result. Sinking the team against a tough playoff defense playing the worst approach he possibly could for his talent level.

https://streamable.com/qkjg1

KD damn near flamed out of GS with his selfish undisciplined play. Just like OKC ball where Kevin Martin and Reggie Jackson went on record hating playing next to him. Rings are gonna forever give him a good rep for many things he doesn’t deserve. Great defense, versatile, playoff beast. None would happen if he didn’t join dynasty level core.

999Guy
05-25-2020, 04:36 AM
And after typing that up, one more thing. Think about the kind of ass you have to be to have great teammates and not trust them.

Michael Jordan trusted John Paxson and Steve Kerr more than he trusted Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

Lack of trust is a legitimate sign of mental weakness. :oldlol:

RIINGZ though

Run DLC
05-25-2020, 08:34 AM

He played pound the rock ball with Westbrook in OKC, hijacked the offense in the last 2 golden state years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/g8ye07/draymond_18_season_kd_wasnt_as_happy_he_wasnt_as/

2017 was his peak and it was a joke. He went and joined this era’s Magic and rode his offensive coattails to a dominant playoff run. The stakes made him play as serious as ever as far as fundamentals. He came in. Picked his spots perfectly, played the best defense of his life, and won a dull title.

Once the unfulfillment set in he completely stopped playing good defense in 2018 and 2019.

His blocks went up and the Warriors defense fell off a cliff because he started doing what he felt like doing on defense, just like on offense and nobody stopped him because they didn’t want him to leave.

So now that is the result. Sinking the team against a tough playoff defense playing the worst approach he possibly could for his talent level.

KD damn near flamed out of GS with his selfish undisciplined play. Just like OKC ball where Kevin Martin and Reggie Jackson went on record hating playing next to him. Rings are gonna forever give him a good rep for many things he doesn’t deserve. Great defense, versatile, playoff beast. None would happen if he didn’t join dynasty level core.

Great post, brother! Things are going to get interesting in Brooklyn. Both Kyrie and Durant have tunnel visions when it comes to making the right play. I can’t see them being a successful team with those two taking turns to jack up shots while the rest of the team will be out of synch and out of rhythm.

j3lademaster
05-25-2020, 08:45 AM

This is everything I wanted to say and more.

RogueBorg
05-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Durant has alot of accolades but he has only 1 MVP and never been on the All-NBA Defensive team.

I don't see the argument for him being above Kobe and it's not even close. Kobe has a much more decorated career.

deathawaitu
05-25-2020, 11:11 AM
Small forward: LeBron = 6911 points (1st) Good luck to Kevin Durant, maybe he can do it! He has a chance to pass Dr. J and LeBron, he just recently passed up Bird after his 5th Final in 2019. We shall see if you are right. Here are the standings thus far:

LeBron - 6911
Dr. J - 4580
KD - 4043
Bird - 3897
Pip - 3642
Kawhi - 2164 (yikes)

Good luck to all small forward participants

Lebron - 0 in the West (yikes)

Kawhi won chips in both conference (yikes)

Lebron currently sits very comfortably as the 2nd greatest SF, that itself is quite an accomplishment

Bronbron23
05-25-2020, 11:43 AM
not a chance in hell. He only has 2 chips which are suspect and hes 31 coming off an Achilles injury.

Axe
05-25-2020, 08:19 PM
Bran still needed ad and superman just to dig the lakers out of the grave from their long postseason drought. :oldlol:

And as they become contenders again, his fans always give him the credit for carrying the team but once they lose, they would blame his teammates for going short.

Run DLC
05-25-2020, 08:42 PM
Let’s stay on topic, guys. This is about Durant, not LeBron.

SouBeachTalents
05-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Let’s stay on topic, guys. This is about Durant, not LeBron.
This is ISH, every thread is about LeBron

Phoenix
05-26-2020, 03:23 AM
^^^
https://media.tenor.com/images/0799e1570deb3f11e3c490a09c6ec816/tenor.gif