PDA

View Full Version : What is Ja Morant's ceiling?

ncrizzle
05-14-2020, 04:26 PM
Im really hoping hes taking this quarantine time to get some of that DeAndre Ayton dope and bulking up. Despite his frame hes a great finisher. The way he attacks the rim and lands does scare me some. But if he can stay healthy i think he still has a lot of room to grow. With the amount of space defenders give him anticipating drives, he could be deadly if he continues to develop his stroke. What do you see in the future for this kid?

Lebron23
05-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Im really hoping hes taking this quarantine time to get some of that DeAndre Ayton dope and bulking up. Despite his frame hes a great finisher. The way he attacks the rim and lands does scare me some. But if he can stay healthy i think he still has a lot of room to grow. With the amount of space defenders give him anticipating drives, he could be deadly if he continues to develop his stroke. What do you see in the future for this kid?
Maybe the 2nd coming of Allen Iverson.

Bronbron23
05-14-2020, 04:47 PM
pretty high ilike him alot and he'll probably end up being the best player in that draft. Not sure if he'll win chips though. Players 6'6 and above historically have dominated when it comes to winning chips.

Axe
05-14-2020, 04:52 PM
What do i see in the future of this kid?

Well, since you asked, i think he'll probably end up like d-rose, becoming injury-riddled and brittle two years after his sophomore season. Who knows tho. Only entered the league last year but got way too cocky already.

ncrizzle
05-14-2020, 05:26 PM
What do i see in the future of this kid?

Well, since you asked, i think he'll probably end up like d-rose, becoming injury-riddled and brittle two years after his sophomore season. Who knows tho. Only entered the league last year but got way too cocky already.

Kids got a chip on his shoulder and is fearless. I love it. Hes got that "IT" factor. What you call cocky, I call wearing his heart on his sleeve. It would be one thing if he wasnt performing. But Im a grizz fan so i def could have some bias...

Axe
05-14-2020, 05:33 PM
Kids got a chip on his shoulder and is fearless. I love it. Hes got that "IT" factor. What you call cocky, I call wearing his heart on his sleeve. It would be one thing if he wasnt performing. But Im a grizz fan so i def could have some bias...
Eh maybe lol

Either way, i know he has talent. So i think it's a big reason why he slid in the draft as #2 overall. And like d-rose, for his small size, he's capable of jumping high and therefore, dunk over his opponents.

It's just that his showboat demeanor seems premature. So I think he still needs to prove that he's really worthy, after all.

Akeem34TheDream
05-14-2020, 06:11 PM
Westbrook that can shoot. So pretty high ceiling.

ncrizzle
05-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Eh maybe lol

Either way, i know he has talent. So i think it's a big reason why he slid in the draft as #2 overall. And like d-rose, for his small size, he's capable of jumping high and therefore, dunk over his opponents.

It's just that his showboat demeanor seems premature. So I think he still needs to prove that he's really worthy, after all.

man hes gotta chill on trying to posterize every defender in his way. Im just hoping that he starts to get more whistles in the coming years and focuses on being crafty around the rim. im cool with him trying to flex when hes got an open path though

dbugz
05-14-2020, 06:41 PM
Derick Rose MVP season (add CP3s court vision)

Axe
05-14-2020, 06:52 PM
man hes gotta chill on trying to posterize every defender in his way. Im just hoping that he starts to get more whistles in the coming years and focuses on being crafty around the rim. im cool with him trying to flex when hes got an open path though
Yeah. If he becomes reckless and faces grave consequences like you know, i think i wouldn't be surprised anymore about that once it happens.

ncrizzle
05-15-2020, 07:59 AM
pretty high ilike him alot and he'll probably end up being the best player in that draft. Not sure if he'll win chips though. Players 6'6 and above historically have dominated when it comes to winning chips.
i completely agree with you on the chips. SEMI HOT TAKE INCOMING. Jaren Jackson Jr is going to be a better player than Morant

Bronbron23
05-15-2020, 07:54 PM
i completely agree with you on the chips. SEMI HOT TAKE INCOMING. Jaren Jackson Jr is going to be a better player than Morant

wouldn't be surprised. Hes definitely a sleeper. I like him also

ralph_i_el
05-16-2020, 10:01 AM
If he reaches his potential, he won't be like anyone we have seen. Too much of his own style.

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 10:23 AM
If he reaches his potential, he won't be like anyone we have seen. Too much of his own style.

This is accurate. Doesn't remind me of anyone, really.

tontoz
05-16-2020, 10:55 AM
He is not an overly aggressive player like some here seem to think. When i watched him for the most part he was playing within the flow of the offense, deferring to veterans. However in the 4th quarter of a close game he would be more aggressive. He seems like he can beat guys off the dribble whenever he wants but picks his spots.

Barring injury i think he could be the best pg in the league within the next couple of years (i still count Harden as a 2). Definitely HOF material, the best pg prospect in recent memory. I think he has a higher ceiling than Chris Paul who is one of the best ever.

As far as working out i doubt he has access to a gym right now. Not many rookies have home gyms.

red1
05-16-2020, 11:17 AM
all nba first team finals MVP

ncrizzle
05-16-2020, 03:27 PM
He is not an overly aggressive player like some here seem to think. When i watched him for the most part he was playing within the flow of the offense, deferring to veterans. However in the 4th quarter of a close game he would be more aggressive. He seems like he can beat guys off the dribble whenever he wants but picks his spots.

Barring injury i think he could be the best pg in the league within the next couple of years (i still count Harden as a 2). Definitely HOF material, the best pg prospect in recent memory. I think he has a higher ceiling than Chris Paul who is one of the best ever.

As far as working out i doubt he has access to a gym right now. Not many rookies have home gyms.

Your %100 correct. He has said that he likes to get everyone involved first. That in return opens up the game for him. But he has shown that he can take over and dominate when he needs to. He wants the ball in the clutch and has performed very well in those situations. He was near the top of the league in 4th quarter scoring

imdaman99
05-16-2020, 03:49 PM
Superstar. He's definitely gotta bulk up, because some of the dunks he tries are crazy and I don't wanna see him take some awkward fall because of it and get hurt. I'm high on him, love his mentality and how he doesn't stargaze or back down.

That being said, he's gonna need Jaren Jackson to take a step. I thought he was more impressive his rookie year, this year he's far overshadowed by Ja. Grizz ain't getting high picks anymore.

PeroAntic
05-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Best player in the league. Hes absolutely unique.

brooks_thompson
05-25-2020, 02:16 AM
I can see him legitimately being the best PG in the league for a multi-year stretch, but like others have said, what is that really likely to get you? (Grizz fan by the way). And to the guy who said JJJ would be better, I disagree. He has the tools to be more impactful, but I don’t like the way they fast tracked him to success by having him shoot 8-10 threes a game before rounding out his inside game, esp. rebounding. I think they stunted what he could’ve become, though it was never a sure thing.

CTbasketball92
05-25-2020, 03:06 AM
I'm sure if he's healthy he will be a top 10-level player and a regular all-nba second-teamer at least.

He's got great court vision and creativity and touch around the rim and he looks like he'll be a solid shooter at least. Idk about his defense, but if he's at least neutral he'll be fine.

Axe
05-25-2020, 04:31 AM
Don't you think it's a tad bit early to say that?

brooks_thompson
05-25-2020, 07:51 AM
Just wanted to add that Ja surprised me with how much of a classic point guard he is. He really strikes the balance between old-school/new wave better than any star PG I’ve seen yet (since Chris Paul came into the league, anyway).

ncrizzle
05-29-2020, 11:26 AM
I can see him legitimately being the best PG in the league for a multi-year stretch, but like others have said, what is that really likely to get you? (Grizz fan by the way). And to the guy who said JJJ would be better, I disagree. He has the tools to be more impactful, but I don’t like the way they fast tracked him to success by having him shoot 8-10 threes a game before rounding out his inside game, esp. rebounding. I think they stunted what he could’ve become, though it was never a sure thing.

JJJ is such a unique player. He plays more like an ultra big wing on offense. And that makes some sense with the stroke he has as well as having JV in the paint. While he isnt the strongest player yet, hes very crafty around the rim. In his rookie year when Gasol would play in the high post, JJJ was very effective, especially when he got the ball early in possessions. He is also still getting used to his body. He grew between his rookie season and training camp this season( maybe still growing ?!?!?) He moves like a baby deer on the court at times. As he gets used to his body and gain strength, I expect his game to really open up. Hes already got a good handle. And while you might think it was bad for him launching 6 threes a game, the kid had a 40% clip!!! And its not like he was just a spot shooter. He hits in transition, coming around screens, off the dribble, etc. The kid has a chance to be special

ralph_i_el
05-29-2020, 02:31 PM
Your %100 correct. He has said that he likes to get everyone involved first. That in return opens up the game for him. But he has shown that he can take over and dominate when he needs to. He wants the ball in the clutch and has performed very well in those situations. He was near the top of the league in 4th quarter scoring

This is what makes me so optimistic about Ja. He's very comfortable playing in a team concept, and still makes an impact in those situations. Then he has the star power to force the issue when the game is on the line. He has the Rose/Westbrook ability to pull out something ridiculous and make explosive plays when needed, but I could also see him managing an offense at an elite level (like a CP3/Kyle Lowry). He's one of those players that is so good now, but also shows so much avenue for potential improvement.

ralph_i_el
05-29-2020, 02:33 PM
JJJ is such a unique player. He plays more like an ultra big wing on offense. And that makes some sense with the stroke he has as well as having JV in the paint. While he isnt the strongest player yet, hes very crafty around the rim. In his rookie year when Gasol would play in the high post, JJJ was very effective, especially when he got the ball early in possessions. He is also still getting used to his body. He grew between his rookie season and training camp this season( maybe still growing ?!?!?) He moves like a baby deer on the court at times. As he gets used to his body and gain strength, I expect his game to really open up. Hes already got a good handle. And while you might think it was bad for him launching 6 threes a game, the kid had a 40% clip!!! And its not like he was just a spot shooter. He hits in transition, coming around screens, off the dribble, etc. The kid has a chance to be special

Yeah, I don't know how teams are going to handle him. You're going to have to guard him like they sometimes used to do a young-Dirk (of course, not as much touch as Dirk) with an athletic wing player, but then he can check so many different types of players on the other end. He's going to force bad matchups and mess up coach's rotations.

ncrizzle
07-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Bump for 12lbs of muscle added
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898648-grizzlies-ja-morant-says-he-added-12-pounds-got-stronger-during-nba-hiatus

Axe
07-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Which would not be enough to stave off the lakers if they ever happen to meet later.

Bronbron23
07-03-2020, 09:21 PM

not sure when that will happen. As long as greek is healthy and in his prime he'll never be better than him. Maybe when greek is 33-35 which is 8 or 9 years from now and ja will be 30ish but then he'll still have jason tatum and maybe luka to contend with. I just to see him being the best player in the league. He could be a top player though forsure.

Turbo Slayer
07-03-2020, 10:14 PM
A Top 10 player in the league at his peak. Possibly Top 5.

ncrizzle
07-03-2020, 10:34 PM
Which would not be enough to stave off the lakers if they ever happen to meet later.

lol man you really are a hater with this kid. Of course hes not going to knock out the lakers this year. Neither is any other bubble team( and practically the rest of the league). The important thing is it shows hes working hard . That right there can tell you a whole lot about Ja. The kid already was a ****ing monster attacking the basket at 175lbs. Think he was the lightest player in the league . Dont think thats the case anymore. The kid has a path to being a superstar and getting in the gym and getting that 12lbs proves that he is following the steps

Axe
07-03-2020, 10:47 PM
lol man you really are a hater with this kid. Of course hes not going to knock out the lakers this year. Neither is any other bubble team( and practically the rest of the league). The important thing is it shows hes working hard . That right there can tell you a whole lot about Ja. The kid already was a ****ing monster attacking the basket at 175lbs. Think he was the lightest player in the league . Dont think thats the case anymore. The kid has a path to being a superstar and getting in the gym and getting that 12lbs proves that he is following the steps
Ikr man but don't sob too much about it. I really just find his cockiness too premature. :(

ncrizzle
07-03-2020, 11:46 PM
no sobbing bruh. Just calling a spade a spade. I can see how an outsider might feel the way you do. But as fans, we love that sh1t. Kid seems humble as can be when interviewed . Its just passion on the court

Axe
07-04-2020, 12:05 AM
no sobbing bruh. Just calling a spade a spade. I can see how an outsider might feel the way you do. But as fans, we love that sh1t. Kid seems humble as can be when interviewed . Its just passion on the court
Oh yeah maybe hahaha. I could prolly like him if he played for the bulls but that's far from reality. Who knows tho.

brooks_thompson
07-05-2020, 05:17 AM
None of Ja’s plays are made for the sake of showing off. He’s either attacking out of agression or setting up a play he sees in a unique way. There’s always a reason for the flash, and I think it’s awesome there’s a modern player who is also capable of being an entertainer at the same time as always making the winning play.

ncrizzle
07-07-2020, 05:17 PM
None of Ja’s plays are made for the sake of showing off. He’s either attacking out of agression or setting up a play he sees in a unique way. There’s always a reason for the flash, and I think it’s awesome there’s a modern player who is also capable of being an entertainer at the same time as always making the winning play.

Some players styles just are aesthetically pleasing to watch. Derrick Rose wasnt a flashy player, but the way he moved was just sexy AF ( No Homo)

BigShotBob
07-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Another athletic point guard that will ultimately win nothing as the number one option even in this watered down era.

Axe
07-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Some players styles just are aesthetically pleasing to watch. Derrick Rose wasnt a flashy player, but the way he moved was just sexy AF ( No Homo)
Sad to say, rose's achilles heel took its toll in 2012 and ever since he was never able to play the same way he did back then, something that heavily affected the bulls in the following seasons until his departure 4 years ago...

ncrizzle
08-15-2020, 08:42 PM
I know he made some serious rook mistakes today, but he had some great flashes of superstar potential. If he gets a shot its over

Axe
08-15-2020, 08:53 PM
Lol the grizz were already leading the other struggling teams in the 8th seed during the pre-bubble days. All they had to do was to maintain that but when the bubble started, they couldn't extend their wins by a margin anymore thanks to a tough schedule.

Because of that, teams like portland and phoenix have managed to catch up with them but it was ultimately the former who ended up shattering their playoff hopes. They shouldn't feel bad about it tho since they still performed better than zion's pelicans, one with a sorry ass record when he was completely absent for the first 3 months of the season.

tpols
08-15-2020, 08:59 PM
He looks like a taller iverson. super speed and nimble.

ncrizzle
08-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Lol the grizz were already leading the other struggling teams in the 8th seed during the pre-bubble days. All they had to do was to maintain that but when the bubble started, they couldn't extend their wins by a margin anymore thanks to a tough schedule.

Because of that, teams like portland and phoenix have managed to catch up with them but it was ultimately the former who ended up shattering their playoff hopes. They shouldn't feel bad about it tho since they still performed better than zion's pelicans, one with a sorry ass record when he was completely absent for the first 3 months of the season.

I mean we lost JJJ who is crucial to our success. Hes our best shooter and provides spacing for ja to operate. Defenses just collapsed on us constantly. We also didnt have a back up PG and winslow (potential starting 3) was out. Its not like we were gonna do anything against the lakers. We were here to get big game experience for our extremely young squad. JJJ was def our best bubble player until he went down. But Morant and Clarke both played great today. Even dillon brooks reeled himself in and just focused on being a 3&D wing instead of a chucker. We are just looking forward to the future, not worrying about getting swept by bron

ncrizzle
08-15-2020, 09:13 PM
He looks like a taller iverson. super speed and nimble.

His passing is on a different level than AI. Hes like a mix between AI ,CP3, and Westbrook. Like i said he made some costly turnovers this game but his vision and playmaking have been great this season. He played so fast this season. Once the game slows down for him he will really show out. He made rookie mistakes today and learning from them is going to be the best thing about the bubble

Axe
08-15-2020, 09:27 PM
I mean we lost JJJ who is crucial to our success. Hes our best shooter and provides spacing for ja to operate. Defenses just collapsed on us constantly. We also didnt have a back up PG and winslow (potential starting 3) was out. Its not like we were gonna do anything against the lakers. We were here to get big game experience for our extremely young squad. JJJ was def our best bubble player until he went down. But Morant and Clarke both played great today. Even dillon brooks reeled himself in and just focused on being a 3&D wing instead of a chucker. We are just looking forward to the future, not worrying about getting swept by bron
Oh yes, i forgot about jj. T'was unfortunate and bad timing tho since the guy was a huge part of keeping the steam rolling and valanciunas is proving to be a useful center with some triple doubles against opposing teams but not enough to secure more wins. The rest i'm not sure at since i barely follow the team but i can see their potential. Damn makes my eyes sore that the wc is still stacked as ever af.