PDA

View Full Version : Which stats tell us who the best players are?

petezahut
05-14-2020, 10:27 PM
What stat or group of stats do you think most effectively tells us who the best players are? Of course, the team with more points wins the game, so scoring average is important. But, there's a legitimate reason why Harden isn't winning MVP every year. I think +/- is a nice simple stat, but it has a lot of limitations. If Lebron plays 48 minutes and his team loses the game, he has a negative +/- for that game, even if he had a monster game. +/- only seems effective for guys who play limited minutes. Even then, if I always come into the game with really good players, I'm going to have a better +/- whether I'm any good or not. I have really come to like eFG%. I really like the idea of field goal % in that making shots is important, and missing shots is one of the easiest ways to hurt your team.
j
This Bulls documentary has had me thinking about whether Jordan is really the greatest player ever. His drive to win is unquestionable. 6 titles speak for themselves. But night in and night out, did he put up the best numbers? I don't think he did. 49.7 FG% for a career. 32.7% from 3 (which is fairly crappy), and 50.9 eFG%. A solid FG%, but those numbers don't make me say best EVER. It's easy to watch a highlight reel and see the amazing shots he made, but if you go back and watch entire games, it makes you realize how many shots he missed all the time. In his 63-point game against the Celtics, he shot 22-41 from the field (53.6%). A solid shooting %, but they lost the game. Maybe his teammates could have gotten some easy buckets if he passed up on the shots that he forced up.