PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion thinks he deserves to be a HoF

LukeWalton
05-16-2020, 03:47 AM
you agree or disagree

https://thesportsdaily.com/2020/05/11/shawn-marion-thinks-hall-of-fame-snub-is-due-to-political-reasons-rather-than-body-of-work/

4 x all star
2 x all nba third team
1 x nba champion

seems like a Stoudemire class guy to me

FultzNationRISE
05-16-2020, 09:52 AM
As a player he’s very similar to Iguodala IMO, and his impact has always been underestimated.

Would be great to see him get more appreciation. Still, HOF is a bit of a tough call. At least in terms of the standard I personally think there should be for inclusion.

What the actual Hall committee decides, who knows.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 09:59 AM
He's not a hofer to me, but a lot of guys in the hof aren't. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it in some time considering how weak the basketball hof is in general. He's obviously not a hof player, though.

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Better than Bosh.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:07 AM
Better than Bosh.

That's highly debatable and I would disagree.

tpols
05-16-2020, 10:07 AM
he's probably underrated. his defense and athleticism were game breaking, he could barely shoot a basketball, probably the worst form ever, and still had all star and all D impact.

ImKobe
05-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Don't like how easy it is to get into the Basketball HOF, but you have to take this into account:

He has great enough career totals & peak numbers to be a HOFer (17k points, 10k rebounds). 4x All-Star, 2x All-NBA, 15/9/2/2/1 career averages. Was arguably the best player on the '06 Suns when he averaged 22/12 with 2 stls and 1.7 blocks (led the team in all those categories, including advanced stats), averaged 20/12 in the Playoffs that year too. Was also a key contributor on a championship squad and played 100+ Playoff games. To be honest, he deserved to be on at least a couple all-defensive teams and maybe 1 or 2 more All-NBA teams. He was however part of the USA team that "won" Bronze in the 2004 Olympics. I wouldn't put him in the HOF, but he'll likely make it with how easy it is to get in.

tpols
05-16-2020, 10:09 AM

marion wouldve done better than bosh in miami, but not in toronto obviously.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Don't like how easy it is to get into the Basketball HOF, but you have to take this into account:

He has great enough career totals & peak numbers to be a HOFer (17k points, 10k rebounds). 4x All-Star, 2x All-NBA, 15/9/2/2/1 career averages. Was arguably the best player on the '06 Suns when he averaged 22/12 with 2 stls and 1.7 blocks (led the team in all those categories, including advanced stats), averaged 20/12 in the Playoffs that year too. Was also a key contributor on a championship squad and played 100+ Playoff games. To be honest, he deserved to be on at least a couple all-defensive teams and maybe 1 or 2 more All-NBA teams. He was however part of the USA team that "won" Bronze in the 2004 Olympics. I wouldn't put him in the HOF, but he'll likely make it with how easy it is to get in.

lol He was better than Steve Nash in 06, huh? Don't go full retard because Nash got the MVP. Kobe was never getting it regardless, cupcake.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:15 AM
marion wouldve done better than bosh in miami, but not in toronto obviously.

Marion was in Miami at 29, 30 and he was garbage outside of the system in PHX.

tpols
05-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Marion was in Miami at 29, 30 and he was garbage outside of the system in PHX.

he wasnt garbage on Dallas. :confusedshrug:

he was the one matched up with LBJ and shut him down. ditto Durant that year.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:18 AM
he wasnt garbage on Dallas. :confusedshrug:

he was the one matched up with LBJ and shut him down.

He was garbage compared to what he was doing on PHX. Imsaltykobe saying he was the best player on the 06 Suns is laughable considering how far Marion fell when he left that Suns system. Clearly if you took Nash off the 06 Suns they'd be much worse off as opposed to taking Marion off the roster.

ImKobe
05-16-2020, 10:20 AM
lol He was better than Steve Nash in 06, huh? Don't go full retard because Nash got the MVP. Kobe was never getting it regardless, cupcake.

Did you gloss over the word "arguably"? He was the Suns' best defensive player and managed to lead the team in scoring. Led them in everything but passing. Was #1 on the team in PER, WS, WS/48, DRTG & VORP. You guys love to use those stats, why are they meaningless now? Nash obviously was their system, but Marion was just as important that season.

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Marion had big impact in Phoenix, before Nash as well.

Bosh is easier and better to build around, for sure. But if comparing their impact?

tpols
05-16-2020, 10:22 AM
Did you gloss over the word "arguably"? He was the Suns' best defensive player and managed to lead the team in scoring. Led them in everything but passing. Was #1 on the team in PER, WS, WS/48, DRTG & VORP. You guys love to use those stats, why are they meaningless now? Nash obviously was their system, but Marion was just as important that season.

isnt smoke a huge defense guy too? :lol

and hes repping steve nash here against the precious advanced stats. smh...

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 10:26 AM

There is no arguably. The suggestion is craziness, at best.

Nash was the MVP. And while Kobe (not LeBron) was a contender for being more deserving, no one else was.

And Nash was MVP level. The Marion suggestion plagues and undermines anything you have to say here.

Akeem34TheDream
05-16-2020, 10:27 AM
Did anybody back then think Shawn Marion was their best player? I don't think so. Maybe Amare but certainly not Marion.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:28 AM

There is nothing arguable about it. That Suns team would still make the playoffs if you took Marion off, but if you took Nash away they'd be a bottom feeder.

ImKobe
05-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Nash was the MVP. And while Kobe (not LeBron) was a contender for being more deserving, no one else was.

And Nash was MVP level. The Marion suggestion plagues and undermines anything you have to say here.

Sure, give no credit to Marion for being their defensive anchor and leading scorer in the RS. Their defense plummeted once they made that trade for Shaq & they ended up missing the Playoffs in '09.

There is nothing arguable about it. That Suns team would still make the playoffs if you took Marion off, but if you took Nash away they'd be a bottom feeder.

Take off either and they miss the Playoffs that year. Look at how much better Marion's production was than their team average. Raja Bell as the 2nd option? Forget about it.

Smoke117
05-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Wins have always mattered when it comes to MVP voting. If not Nash it would have been Dirk in 06. He was the best player and a great player on a 60 win team. The Spurs won 63 games, but Duncan wasn't what he used to be. The Spurs were just a really great team.

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Sure, give no credit to Marion for being their defensive anchor and leading scorer in the RS. Their defense plummeted once they made that trade for Shaq & they ended up missing the Playoffs in '09.

Take off either and they miss the Playoffs that year. Look at how much better Marion's production was than their team average. Raja Bell as the 2nd option.

Don't know where I failed to give Marion credit.

Nash was the M V P

Marion was not. Period.

Wins have always mattered when it comes to MVP voting. If not Nash it would have been Dirk in 06. He was the best player and a great player on a 60 win team. The Spurs won 63 games, but Duncan wasn't what he used to be. The Spurs were just a really great team.

I agree, but I was talking about most deserving. I think Kobe was much better than Dirk or LeBron.

97 bulls
05-16-2020, 12:44 PM
What NBA players in the Hall of Fame have similar careers?

Whoah10115
05-16-2020, 01:05 PM
What NBA players in the Hall of Fame have similar careers?

I have no doubt there are a few. Within current standards, he is. For me, Bosh has clear talent advantages, able to have an offense run thru him. It wasn't just stat-padding, but the numbers didn't equate with the performance, as he didn't improve his team nearly enough.

Marion was the same player before Nash, tho his talents were maximized with Nash. Should have been All-Defense every year from 01-02 on, just about. bettShould have made an All-NBA or two back then, and then got even better with Nash, playing PF without Amare and averaging like 11RPG with his defense, plus 22 or whatever. He's a better fit with that Miami team than Bosh, tho Bosh gave that team the ability to have a lead offensive guy when the other two were out.

Is he a hall-of-famer? If he had rings with Phoenix, then it probably makes this simple. But he does not. Does he deserve it? He's one of those fringe guys. Great player who was great for about a decade, with a resurgence later on...but he was never an elite kind of great. Was never a top 10 player in the league, and probably wasn't top 15.

bizil
05-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Marion is a textbook example of a very good player. Or a Hall of very good type of player. The fact he got 17,000 points and 10,000 boards as a 6'7 SF is an awesome feat! Plus he was a key component to Dallas winning a ring. Who knows maybe he will get in on a later ballot down the road. BUT he's not a 1st ballot HOF type of material.

If he had 8 All Star appearances to go with 5-6 All NBA teams, I think that would get him in sooner. I would say he FOR SURE at least deserves some consideration though to get in. Guys like him are the most interesting to debate getting in. Other guys are such slam dunks to get in that it isn't as interesting to discuss.

If u were to make a case for his attributes as a player, not MANY SF's or combo forward types in league history combined scoring, defense, and rebounding better than Marion. Could be among the top 10 SF's in league history in terms of combing those attributes. And him going from the SF to PF position (during the Golden Era of PF's) for the Suns unlocked their potential.

Jasper
05-16-2020, 03:14 PM
i liked his defense = he is in

can't believe he wasn"t on all defensive team ......
I still think he is in, but not for his shot

Lion's pride
05-16-2020, 07:09 PM
the NBA HOF should not be about the "very good" but great.. Though they may be some very good's in there.. Thing Is SM was good to Very Good but far away from great..

tontoz
05-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Borderline for me. Very good defender and rebounder but weak on offense relative to other HOF players.

I really haven't looked at all the players they have voted in so it is hard for me to give a firm yes or no. I would say tentative no.

Bosh is an easy yes for me. Sucks that his career was cut short due to health problems but he made 11 All-Star games in 13 seasons.

LostCause
05-16-2020, 09:52 PM
I was a big Matrix fan when he was in Phoenix. He’d probably be even better today given he was kinda ahead of his time for the role he played

I don’t see why he wouldn’t make the hall given some of the other guys that are in there

FireDavidKahn
05-16-2020, 09:58 PM
LOL

RRR3
05-16-2020, 10:16 PM
Borderline for me. Very good defender and rebounder but weak on offense relative to other HOF players.

I really haven't looked at all the players they have voted in so it is hard for me to give a firm yes or no. I would say tentative no.

Bosh is an easy yes for me. Sucks that his career was cut short due to health problems but he made 11 All-Star games in 13 seasons.
Was Bosh really any more valuable than Marion though? At their best I mean. Obviously Marion didn't have a very long prime, which is what hurts him in terms of HOF consideration. He was a beast from 01 to 08 (well, most of 08. He really fell off in the 16 games he played with Miami. Part of that is likely due to not having Steve Nash but he was a beast before Nash got there so that can't be all of it). He had clearly declined starting in 09 in terms of scoring though. Heck, his scoring had been going down even in phoenix after 06.

Reggie43
05-16-2020, 10:18 PM
The problem with Marion is that he was not traditionally skilled like the other good/great players at his position so his weaknesses are magnified while his strengths are diminished. He has better numbers than some of the players in the Hof but he probably doesnt deserve to be in it.