PDA

View Full Version : So tired of people saying Iverson had ZERO help in the 2001 Playoffs

SaltyMeatballs
05-17-2020, 03:20 AM
Whenever Allen Iverson is brought up, you'll always hear that he carried a bunch of bums to the finals. I'm not saying his supporting cast that year was good, but it definitely wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

During the '01 playoffs, AI had some really good games. The most memorable one being game 1 vs Lakers in the finals of course.

What people seem to miss is that on his journey to the finals, he had some of the most ATROCIOUS games where his teammates had to step up, and did.

Out of AI's 22 games played in 01 playoffs, he managed to shoot over 40% only...(*drumroll*)... 7 times. That's right. In 15 games he shot 40% or below.

- 2nd round game 6 vs Raptors, where a win would advance his team to the ECF, AI shoots 6-24 and loses
- In GAME 7 vs the Raptors, you'd expect AI, the MVP, to come back with vengeance right? Nope. He shoots 8-27, but with the help of his teammates, he miraculously advances
- In game 5 vs the Bucks, AI shot 5-27 (18 FG%) and his team still won. But he had no help? Right?
- In game 2 vs the Bucks, AI shot 5-26 (19 FG%). His team lost
- Overall, Iverson shot just 34% in the 7 game series against the Bucks.

I hate when people act like AI was going off every game in the '01 run and had NO help. The reality is, without his teammates stepping up in the Bucks series and especially game 7 vs the Raptors, we would've never seen AI in the 2001 finals.

LeCroix
05-17-2020, 03:23 AM
DPOY Mutumbo was more important then we thought. Nice thread

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 03:23 AM
Whenever Allen Iverson is brought up, you'll always hear that he carried a bunch of bums to the finals. I'm not saying his supporting cast that year was good, but it definitely wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

During the '01 playoffs, AI had some really good games. The most memorable one being game 1 vs Lakers in the finals of course.

What people seem to miss is that on his journey to the finals, he had some of the most ATROCIOUS games where his teammates had to step up, and did.

Out of AI's 22 games played in 01 playoffs, he managed to shoot over 40% only...(*drumroll*)... 7 times. That's right. In 15 games he shot 40% or below.

- 2nd round game 6 vs Raptors, where a win would advance his team to the ECF, AI shoots 6-24 and loses
- In GAME 7 vs the Raptors, you'd expect AI, the MVP, to come back with vengeance right? Nope. He shoots 8-27, but with the help of his teammates, he miraculously advances
- In game 5 vs the Bucks, AI shot 5-27 (18 FG%) and his team still won. But he had no help? Right?
- In game 2 vs the Bucks, AI shot 5-26 (19 FG%). His team lost
- Overall, Iverson shot just 34% in the 7 game series against the Bucks.

I hate when people act like AI was going off every game in the '01 run and had NO help. The reality is, without his teammates stepping up in the Bucks series and especially game 7 vs the Raptors, we would've never seen AI in the 2001 finals.

LeBron shot 39% for the entire 2015 Finals.

SaltyMeatballs
05-17-2020, 03:24 AM
DPOY Mutumbo was more important then we thought. Nice thread

Doubt you even read what I wrote

Uncle Drew
05-17-2020, 03:24 AM

Yet still got more FMVP votes than Cucky.

Smoke117
05-17-2020, 03:25 AM
Only an idiot would say that. The Sixers were primarily a defensive team and Iverson was a terrible defensive player. He compiled a lot of steals jumping out into lanes as he pleased and putting his teammates off balance. There was no strategy or anything to it. That is all beside the fact that the Sixers even made the finals because the refs screwed over the Bucks in the first place. It should have been Bucks vs Lakers and everyone who was watching ball around there knows this. The corrupt powers to be wanted a big name like Iverson in the finals so there ya go...

SaltyMeatballs

What does this have to do with LeBron? :oldlol:

warriorfan
Yet still got more FMVP votes than Cucky.

Low iq media driven narratives. Yawn.

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 03:27 AM
What does this have to do with LeBron? :oldlol:

Comparing him to another guy who some people said has not enough help with some epic Allen Iverson level chuck fests himself.

LeIverson.

That’s actually a dis for Iverson. He actually had some heart.

SaltyMeatballs
05-17-2020, 03:27 AM
Only an idiot would say that. The Sixers were primarily a defensive team and Iverson was a terrible defensive player. He compiled a lot of steals jumping out into lanes as he pleased and putting his teammates off balance. There was no strategy or anything to it. That is all beside the fact that the Sixers even made the finals because the refs screwed over the Bucks in the first place. It should have been Bucks vs Lakers and everyone who was watching ball around there knows this. The corrupt powers to be wanted a big name like Iverson in the finals so there ya go...

Glad someone said it

And to clear things up, im not even a hater of AI. In fact, I've always been a fan of his. It just irritates me to my core whenever I hear that he had no help in his 2001 playoffs run and that he played with a bunch of bums

Uncle Drew
05-17-2020, 03:28 AM
Low iq media driven narratives. Yawn.

Where does it hurt?

SaltyMeatballs
05-17-2020, 03:29 AM
Comparing him to another guy who some people said has not enough help with some epic Allen Iverson level chuck fests himself.

LeBron's had some terrible series throughout his career, but overall he's a different monster in the playoffs.

Smoke117
05-17-2020, 03:31 AM
Glad someone said it

And to clear things up, im not even a hater of AI. In fact, I've always been a fan of his. It just irritates me to my core whenever I hear that he had no help in his 2001 playoffs run and that he played with a bunch of bums

I'd not an Iverson fan one bit, but that has nothing to do with it. The Bucks were screwed over in that series and anyone with a semi intelligent basketball mind who isn't biased towards Iverson knows it. It was a complete joke. Ray Allen also completely out played him in that series. He was Brilliant. Probably his best playoff series ever.

Reggie43
05-17-2020, 04:38 AM
He barely had any help on offense which allowed teams to concentrate on him thus the low percentages, him being a chucker made it worse.

On defense they were great as a team with excellent roleplayers and Larry Brown leading the way. That year he was better than all the players he beat in the playoffs plain and simple,. You cant really measure the value of his heart, hustle,defense, leadership and playmaking and its impact on the team.

Smoke117
05-17-2020, 04:58 AM
He barely had any help on offense which allowed teams to concentrate on him thus the low percentages, him being a chucker made it worse.

On defense they were great as a team with excellent roleplayers and Larry Brown leading the way. That year he was better than all the players he beat in the playoffs plain and simple,. You cant really measure the value of his heart, hustle,defense, leadership and playmaking and its impact on the team.

lol ....Yeah he was complete dogshit compared to Ray allen in the Sixers vs Bucks Series. What allowed them to beat them was the refs and their bullshit. Everyone who watched that series 20 years ago knows the Bucks should have won the series vs the Sixers in 2001. Get your head out of your ass, youngster.

Reggie43
05-17-2020, 05:16 AM
lol ....Yeah he was complete dogshit compared to Ray allen in the Sixers vs Bucks Series. What allowed them to beat them was the refs and their bullshit. Everyone who watched that series 20 years ago knows the Bucks should have won the series vs the Sixers in 2001. Get your head out of your ass, youngster.

Youngster? :oldlol: Whining about the refs when a more agressive team is getting the calls is such a classic.

tpols
05-17-2020, 08:22 AM
I'd not an Iverson fan one bit, but that has nothing to do with it. The Bucks were screwed over in that series and anyone with a semi intelligent basketball mind who isn't biased towards Iverson knows it. It was a complete joke. Ray Allen also completely out played him in that series. He was Brilliant. Probably his best playoff series ever.

it is crazy how much better ray allen is than allen iverson but most casuals would pick AI without thinking twice because of how heavily branded he was during his career.

tpols
05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
Look at the pass by Iverson though at 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YeR5zIGbo

:biggums:

that was ****ing ridiculous.

BigShotBob
05-17-2020, 09:58 AM
He destroyed Vince Carter and he almost single-handedly brought his team back down from like 30 against the Bucks in game 5(?) iirc. Or 6. One of those games he lead the charge and it was some different kind of shit.

Kblaze8855
05-17-2020, 10:29 AM
Glad someone said it

Relative to what they did....he did. There is one player on the entire roster other than him I’d want starting in my team. And that’s for then. Most of those guys would be of little or no use now. I don’t need snow, mckie in his career year wasn’t even John Salmons, Lynch, Hill, Jones, McCullough, Geiger, and so on? Kevin Olie and his I believe 9 career 3s? Raja Bell played like 200 minutes that entire season as a rookie.

Tou can keep every single one of those dudes. Give me AI, Snow for professionalism in practice and 18 minutes a game, and Mckie as an 8th man ideally. Aaron Mckie without AI to make those teams relevant is about as remembered as Anthony Peeler. Forget that he essentially stopped existing at like 30. Please someone come lie to me and say they remember a single play of Mckies career from when he was on the Pistons right before Philly.

You don’t want those dudes on your team in any position of prominence and you know it. Mutombo obviously...though I think they had a better record with Theo Ratliff who was an all star then got traded for Mutombo and played 10 more years with you only hearing his name twice as he tried to block every shot with no regard for positioning or leaving his man open.

Those guys played together well. But as individual players Mutombo is the only one worth remembering.

Aaron mckie was the definition of “ok”. Like Alvin Williams. The backcourt and wing help most of the eastern stars hard back then was nothing worth talking about. Some just got famous off their teammates.

Ray was real lucky to have Sam and Glenn. Vince, AI, and Tmac didn’t have shit worth talking about far as scoring help.

SATAN
05-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Youngster? :oldlol: Whining about the refs when a more agressive team is getting the calls is such a classic.

Essentially how Jordan finally got past the Pistons

Kblaze8855
05-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Hell when you think about it....in 2001....

Mckie
Snow
Mutombo

Alvin Williams
Antoinio Davis
Mo Pete

Darrell Armstrong
Mike Miller
Dee Brown
Troy Hudson

Was Tim Thomas as of 01 a more talented scorer than anyone AI, Vc, or Tmac had?

It comes down to Tim or rookie Miller doesn’t it? And he was the Bucks #4.....

tpols
05-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Relative to what they did....he did. There is one player on the entire roster other than him I’d want starting in my team. And that’s for then. Most of those guys would be of little or no use now. I don’t need snow, mckie in his career year wasn’t even John Salmons, Lynch, Hill, Jones, McCullough, Geiger, and so on? Kevin Olie and his I believe 9 career 3s? Raja Bell played like 200 minutes that entire season as a rookie.

Tou can keep every single one of those dudes. Give me AI, Snow for professionalism in practice and 18 minutes a game, and Mckie as an 8th man ideally. Aaron Mckie without AI to make those teams relevant is about as remembered as Anthony Peeler. Forget that he essentially stopped existing at like 30. Please someone come lie to me and say they remember a single play of Mckies career from when he was on the Pistons right before Philly.

You don’t want those dudes on your team in any position of prominence and you know it. Mutombo obviously...though I think they had a better record with Theo Ratliff who was an all star then got traded for Mutombo and played 10 more years with you only hearing his name twice as he tried to block every shot with no regard for positioning or leaving his man open.

Those guys played together well. But as individual players Mutombo is the only one worth remembering.

Aaron mckie was the definition of “ok”. Like Alvin Williams. The backcourt and wing help most of the eastern stars hard back then was nothing worth talking about. Some just got famous off their teammates.

Ray was real lucky to have Sam and Glenn. Vince, AI, and Tmac didn’t have shit worth talking about far as scoring help.

Aaron Mckie won 6th man of the year in 2001, and hes only ideal as an 8th man?

Kblaze8855
05-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Aaron Mckie won 6th man of the year in 2001, and hes only ideal as an 8th man?

Ideally yes. He won 6th man for the same reason Theo Ratliff was an all star. The team had a crazy year relative to talent. He was the lowest scoring 6th man of the year ever aside from guys who were not there to score. Bobby Jones was a defender, Walton was a washed up defender and playmaker, and Anthony mason did a bit of everything. He’s the lowest scoring guard to ever win. He was the 7th leading scorer of the guys to get a 6th man vote that season. He got it for the sixers being good not for being the top performing bench player.

He was a perfectly good player as in you can’t honestly call him a bum. He was a pretty standard guard. If he’s your second or third guy off the bench you should be a really good team.

Axe
05-18-2020, 06:49 PM
LeBron's had some terrible series throughout his career, but overall he's a different monster in the playoffs.
The usual perk of being an ultimate carrying machine on a team full of scrubs

PoutinPippin
05-18-2020, 06:57 PM
Yea then that’s tantamount you saying LeBron had no help in 2007, 2014, 2015, and 2018 being even more idiotic.

Whoah10115
05-18-2020, 07:34 PM
I think McKie is a little better than that, and I do think they had a better team than people give credit for. Plus I think Iverson (who isn't a terrible defender, certainly not when he concentrated and respected the system a bit) got away with being too much of an individual player.

But still, that team was pretty average. Better than the Nets the next year, for what it's worth, but not by much.

Nets had a good starting lineup with some potential, but they were kinda thin overall, and they never got it together. The 2002 actually may have been quite solid had they kept Van Horn and he played up to his rookie season, with Jefferson coming off the bench.

Wally450
05-18-2020, 07:35 PM

That's actually impressive considering he took most shots. Iggy didn't do as good a job as some may claim.