PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bullard on Pippen: "bad teammate"

LAL
05-17-2020, 02:58 PM
He never really tried to make an effort to be a Houston Rocket. … He was coming in thinking, ‘Hey, I’m Michael Jordan.’ I mean, not really Michael Jordan, but ‘I’m Scottie Pippen.’ And the rest of us could feel that. Those types of things still stick with me. … Looking back on all the teammates I’ve had, I would say that Scottie Pippen was not one of my favorite teammates. Because when I did play with him, he wasn’t trying to be a Rocket. He was just trying to be the man, and it didn’t really work.

When Barkley came to the Rockets, he did try to integrate himself. He did a really good job of being a great teammate. He’s one of my favorite teammates of all-time. … I really enjoyed playing with him, and he really tried to make the Rockets better and play alongside Hakeem and Clyde , and really tried to win games.

Charles had to take a paycut in order for Scottie Pippen to sign that big contract. I think when Charles made the sacrifice to take less money to bring in Pippen, and Scottie comes in and doesn’t try to integrate himself into the roster or the team, I think that really rubbed Charles the wrong way. Barkley really wanted to win a championship.

Obviously he never won one, but he felt like this was going to be his last chance to win one, teaming up with “The Dream” and Scottie Pippen. And Pippen came in and wasn’t playing well, and wasn’t a good teammate.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/12/matt-bullard-scottie-pippen-not-my-favorite-teammate-on-rockets/

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Why Bulls teammates loved Pippen--from the same website. https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-news-why-scottie-pippen-was-so-beloved-by-teammates/

It is a shame none of this made the "doc":

“The Last Dance” has told plenty of stories of Michael Jordan’s practice habits — the ribbing, the fights, and all of the trash talk that went on during the golden days of Chicago Bulls basketball.

Yet a part that often goes missing is how Scottie Pippen played the perfect balance to Jordan’s incessant intensity, something Steve Kerr recently noted to ESPN’s Zach Lowe:

“He was a perfect complement to Michael,” Kerr said last month on the Lowe Post podcast. “Michael was the hard-ass. You had to be ready every day for his criticism. Scottie would put his arm around you and make sure you were OK. He is a kind soul.”

Randy Brown and Jud Buechler love Pippen to this very day. Pippen tops the favorite Bulls teammate list for Bill Wennington and Stacey King. Will Perdue calls Pippen “a good family man” for accepting that lengthy contract extension in 1991 that ultimately turned into a source of drama at the tail end of it, though teammates didn’t mind that he timed his foot surgery for the start of “The Last Dance” season.

Even Toni Kukoc grew to love Pippen after their early rift.

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 03:02 PM
Scottie Pippen quit on his team the year Jordan didn’t play with the bulls during the playoff series against the Knicks. After the game teammates were crying about how he let them down and Pippen started crying about how he was sorry. :oldlol:

With Michael they were the most mentally tough team in the league, without Michael they were a bunch of cancerous crybabies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essentiallysports.com/nba-news-nba-throwback-when-a-raging-scottie-pippen-refused-to-go-back-on-the-court-in-a-crucial-playoff-match/amp/

ImKobe
05-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Teammates loved Pippen in Chicago because Mike was such an a-hole in comparison, but we saw him quit on his team mid-series when he was supposed to be the man, and we also saw him sit out half a season and demand a trade.

Scottie Pippen quit on his team the year Jordan didn’t play with the bulls during the playoff series against the Knicks. After the game teammates were crying about how he let them down and Pippen started crying about how he was sorry. :oldlol:

With Michael they were the most mentally tough team in the league, without Michael they were a bunch of cancerous crybabies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essentiallysports.com/nba-news-nba-throwback-when-a-raging-scottie-pippen-refused-to-go-back-on-the-court-in-a-crucial-playoff-match/amp/

Yup. He was perfect next to Michael, and Michael got the best out of him, but he wasn't so great without him.

DoctorP
05-17-2020, 03:03 PM
hmm. conflicting reports. maybe Scottie came into Houston with an entitled attitude. Maybe he clashed with Sir CHarles, as some reports mentioned.

DoctorP
05-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Teammates loved Pippen in Chicago because Mike was such an a-hole in comparison, but we saw him quit on his team mid-series when he was supposed to be the man, and we also saw him sit out half a season and demand a trade.

true.

LAL
05-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Why Bulls teammates loved Pippen--from the same website. https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-news-why-scottie-pippen-was-so-beloved-by-teammates/

It is a shame none of this made the "doc":

stfu weirdo

LAL
05-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Imagine trying to be the man then average 14ppg

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 03:08 PM
His 1 season with Rockets he was frustrated because he was stuck with washed up Barkley\Hakeem, so i imagine he wasn't the best teammate that year.

tpols
05-17-2020, 03:10 PM
pippen has become absurdly overrated.

if he was on any other team, he'd be a ~ paul george ish player.

But playing with MJ elevated him to top 30 all time.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 03:11 PM

Yup. He was perfect next to Michael, and Michael got the best out of him, but he wasn't so great without him.

He led Blazers in minutes, rebounds, assists, steals and was a few shots away from beating Shaq\Kobe and going to the finals. I would say that's a pretty impressive run without Jordan.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 03:12 PM
He led Blazers in minutes, rebounds, assists, steals and was a few shots away from beating Shaq\Kobe and going to the finals. I would say that's a pretty impressive run without Jordan.

Yeah and he was the leader of that Portland team. Basically everyone says he was a great leader except MJ stans and Matt Bullard. :lol

The Bullard stuff is hypocritical. If other players did the same thing they would be praised as "being alpha"...

up. He was perfect next to Michael, and Michael got the best out of him, but he wasn't so great without him.

His best seasons were without MJ...the MJ DSing never ends.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 03:13 PM

That was a piece of crap move by Phil Jackson to not give Pippen the last shot when he carried them all season as an MVP candidate. So that was Phil's fault for not riding and dying on his best player.

tpols
05-17-2020, 03:16 PM
That was a piece of crap move by Phil Jackson to not give Pippen the last shot when he carried them all season as an MVP candidate. So that was Phil's fault for not riding and dying on his best player.

Nope.

Scottie Pippen was never a closer. Did everything great but score especially half court. Kukoc was a far superior shooter and scorer so phil made the right move.

Scottie was being a bitch for not recognizing his own weaknesses and threw a temper tantrum.

He should've embraced his bill russell role and possibly couldve won if he did, but he was insecure.

He wanted to be MJ too much.

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 03:18 PM

My sentiments exactly. Once Jackson made that decision, he pit Pippen in a very compromised situation.

ImKobe
05-17-2020, 03:19 PM
His best seasons were without MJ...the MJ DSing never ends.

False. He wasn't as good in the Playoffs without Jordan.

Kukoc was a better scorer in the half court, Phil made the right call and it paid off. Jordan trusted his teammates multiple times to hit big shots in the Finals.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Kukoc was a "superior scorer" but was the #2 option to the inferior scorer the following year (Kukoc was the #4 in 94')? :confusedshrug:

He wasn't as good in the Playoffs without Jordan.

Didn't you say Pippen sucked in the Utah series in the other thread? You obviously didn't watch any of these games.

None of his key teammates had their best seasons with MJ, other than Paxson.

tpols
05-17-2020, 03:22 PM
My sentiments exactly. Once Jackson made that decision, he pit Pippen in a very compromised situation.

by making a logical decision?

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 03:22 PM

This isn’t about making poor Pippen’s feelings better. It’s about winning. It looks like Phil made the right move, he won the game even with Pippen’s cancerous attitude and refusal to play. :oldlol:

ImKobe
05-17-2020, 03:23 PM

He averaged 15/7/4 on 52.2%TS. 21 y.o Kobe burned him 1 on 1 in crunch time. Sheed was carrying them in that series. Pippen had 3 points and 1 assist while playing almost the entire 2nd half of that game.

FireDavidKahn
05-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Jordan "amazing teammate & leader"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYMI1JKXgAM8zza?format=jpg&name=medium

Phoenix
05-17-2020, 03:26 PM
The backlash would have been insane if Kukoc misses that shot.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Cherry picked statistics. Those of us who watched know Pippen was the most important Portland player during that run. He led them in basically every category, was their leader, was their top defender. You just said Pippen sucked in the Utah series. You obviously didn't watch any of these games.

That is "being alpha", right? :oldlol:

FireDavidKahn
05-17-2020, 03:36 PM
Cherry picked statistics. Those of us who watched know Pippen was the most important Portland player during that run. He led them in basically every category, was their leader, was their top defender. You just said Pippen sucked in the Utah series. You obviously didn't watch any of these games.

Just imagine if LeBron made a habit of punching teammates in the face, denying them food and belittling the role players after having won a championship.

This forum would be praising him!:roll:

DoctorP
05-17-2020, 03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoddHEsU88

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Oh the irony here. When Jordan is bring a jerk, its him motivating his teammates. But when Pippen does it, hes a bad teammate.

Either way, Bullard is entitled to his opinion. Not sure why this matters seeing as how this is one person as opposed to the players that did say he was their favorite.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Just imagine if LeBron made a habit of punching teammates in the face, denying them food and belittling the role players after having won a championship.

Exactly. :lol

Oh the irony here. When Jordan is bring a jerk, its him motivating his teammates. But when Pippen does it, hes a bad teammate.

Yup, the hypocrisy is amusing because these same are the same people who praise MJ in other threads for the same stuff.

Personally I would have a problem if this was a trend but we basically have every teammate and coach praising Pippen as a leader and teammate on one side and Matt Bullard and MJ stans on the other side. I'm going with his teammates and coaches.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 03:48 PM
This isn’t about making poor Pippen’s feelings better. It’s about winning. It looks like Phil made the right move, he won the game even with Pippen’s cancerous attitude and refusal to play. :oldlol:

They still lost the series because Phil's decision had a negative effect on the locker room. You ride or die on your best player, period.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 03:53 PM
He averaged 15/7/4 on 52.2%TS. 21 y.o Kobe burned him 1 on 1 in crunch time. Sheed was carrying them in that series. Pippen had 3 points and 1 assist while playing almost the entire 2nd half of that game.

Pippen was the most impactful player due to his defense, playmaking, leadership, primary ball handler. That team had no other playmaker besides Scottie. When you're as good on D as scottie, the lead playmaker, the one with all the playoff experience and you lead your team in rebounds and minutes played? A mediocre 1st option scorer like Rasheed wasn't more valuable to the entire playoff run. You want to nitpick two quarters of an entire playoff run, that's not how you do it.

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 04:01 PM

I love SB Nation

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 04:06 PM

I also have to note that Barkley called Pippen the 2nd best player in the world after Olajuwan.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 04:27 PM
Pippen was the most impactful player due to his defense, playmaking, leadership, primary ball handler. That team had no other playmaker besides Scottie. When you're as good on D as scottie, the lead playmaker, the one with all the playoff experience and you lead your team in rebounds and minutes played? A mediocre 1st option scorer like Rasheed wasn't more valuable to the entire playoff run. You want to nitpick two quarters of an entire playoff run, that's not how you do it.

True. The Wallace stuff is overhyped by them--he scored only 3 more PPG than Pippen in the playoffs.

They are desperate so they have to resort to cherry picking to push their narratives as we see non-stop on ISH.

He said Pippen wasn't great in the 98' finals in another thread and particularly singled out his 10 point game. I have seen many MJ stans do the same because they just go by box scores and haven't seen any of these games so they don't know how Pippen dominated defensively, especially during that "10 point" game. It help explains their love for MJ. If all you care about scoring then MJ or Wilt are your best options and Wilt retired in 1973.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-17-2020, 04:34 PM
True. The Wallace stuff is overhyped by them--he scored only 3 more PPG than Pippen in the playoffs.

They are desperate so they have to resort to cherry picking to push their narratives as we see non-stop on ISH.

He said Pippen wasn't great in the 98' finals in another thread and particularly singled out his 10 point game. I have seen many MJ stans do the same because they just go by box scores and haven't seen any of these games so they don't know how Pippen dominated defensively, especially during that "10 point" game. It help explains their love for MJ. If all you care about scoring then MJ or Wilt are your best options and Wilt retired in 1973.

I agree. Pippen had the combination of IQ, length, athleticism, cardio that all made him the most disruptive defense player in NBA history and equal impact to a big man on defense. You have to watch game tape and understand the game to realize this, you can't just look at box scores.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 04:45 PM
I agree. Pippen had the combination of IQ, length, athleticism, cardio that all made him the most disruptive defense player in NBA history and equal impact to a big man on defense. You have to watch game tape and understand the game to realize this, you can't just look at box scores.

Which they don't do. They will just drone on about how a player averaged 1-2 PPG more and therefore>Pippen. It is sad. :lol

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Which they don't do. They will just drone on about how a player averaged 1-2 PPG more and therefore>Pippen. It is sad. :lol

You'd think they'd get a clue. His contemporaries were calling him the 2nd best player in the NBA. Chuck Daly said Pippen was the best player on the Dream Team. Hell even Jordan told Jackson he though Pip was head and shoulders above everyone else on the Dream Team.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 06:28 PM
You'd think they'd get a clue. His contemporaries were calling him the 2nd best player in the NBA. Chuck Daly said Pippen was the best player on the Dream Team. Hell even Jordan told Jackson he though Pip was head and shoulders above everyone else on the Dream Team.

Yup--and that included Drexler, Stockton, Magic when he made the comment about Dream Team guards. Magic was retired but Drexler, Stockton were at their peak.

Jordan said Pippen was the best player in the NBA in 95', said Pippen should be MVP in 96' and once compared Pippen favorably to Magic and Bird in the late 90's.

We could go on and on. They have no evidence to support their BS so we never hear any counter data or counter quotes.

Da_Realist
05-17-2020, 06:39 PM

OUCH. I knew about this but not to this level of detail. The newspaper clips really added context.

97 bulls
05-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Yup--and that included Drexler, Stockton, Magic when he made the comment about Dream Team guards. Magic was retired but Drexler, Stockton were at their peak.

Jordan said Pippen was the best player in the NBA in 95', said Pippen should be MVP in 96' and once compared Pippen favorably to Magic and Bird in the late 90's.

We could go on and on. They have no evidence to support their BS so we never hear any counter data or counter quotes.

:roll: But were supposed to take the words of one Matt Bullard over everyone else.

sdot_thadon
05-17-2020, 06:53 PM
The funny thing about life is both accounts can be absolutely correct, independent of each other. Scottie was a great leader for the bulls and by the time he reached Houston it's possible he was jaded from being in the winners circle for most of a decade. Houston was a completely different scenario and he left there and basically lead Portland to a conference finals appearance correct?

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 06:57 PM
The funny thing about life is both accounts can be absolutely correct, independent of each other. Scottie was a great leader for the bulls and by the time he reached Houston it's possible he was jaded from being in the winners circle for most of a decade. Houston was a completely different scenario and he left there and basically lead Portland to a conference finals appearance correct?

Correct. From Bullard's comments it seems a lot of his problem was Pippen trying to "be the man" and pushing other players. That is exactly the stuff other players are praised for.

Pippen was in Houston only one season but he had long runs in Chicago and Portland and he was seen as a good leader in those other places.

But were supposed to take the words of one Matt Bullard over everyone else.

Maybe Bullard is 3ball? :lol

1987_Lakers
05-17-2020, 07:00 PM
OUCH. I knew about this but not to this level of detail. The newspaper clips really added context.

The Last Dance should take notes.

juju151111
05-17-2020, 07:00 PM

Stop this revisionist history. Scottie Pippen was not the best player on the blazers. Stay off the crack yall smoke everyday

Reggie43
05-17-2020, 07:02 PM
I remember he had a quote against Olajuwon wherein he said that "He was not as good as I have expected" somewhere along those lines.

This is definitely another black mark on Pippen's resume because as skilled as he was he failed to make the offense work playing with players who needed the ball in the post and instead had a hand in destroying team chemistry.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 07:12 PM
This is definitely another black mark on Pippen's resume because as skilled as he was he failed to make the offense work

It is Pippen's fault Houston turned him into a spot up shooter versus playing to his strengths? Maybe those players in the post should have adapted their styles somewhat? Pippen is the one who adapted to fit around them--not those players in the post.

Da_Realist
05-17-2020, 07:37 PM
The Last Dance should take notes.

Dude stop whining about the doc. You don't like it, stop watching it. Or spend your time correcting it.

I swear I wouldn't give two sh*ts about a LeBron doc. Never watched The Shop (https://www.hbo.com/the-shop), don't know what they talk about or who the guests are. If I'm not interested, I don't waste my time with it. I thought everyone was like that.

WhiteKyrie
05-17-2020, 07:42 PM
I remember he had a quote against Olajuwon wherein he said that "He was not as good as I have expected" somewhere along those lines.

This is definitely another black mark on Pippen's resume because as skilled as he was he failed to make the offense work playing with players who needed the ball in the post and instead had a hand in destroying team chemistry.
Hakeem said that about Pippen? Any source?

Reggie43
05-17-2020, 07:49 PM
It is Pippen's fault Houston turned him into a spot up shooter versus playing to his strengths? Maybe those players in the post should have adapted their styles somewhat? Pippen is the one who adapted to fit around them--not those players in the post.

True but he was the best playmaker out of the group so you expect him to be the one to find a way to make it work. He could also have provided better leadership and not whine to the media about his role.

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Pippen is a little bitch that you have to pimp slap into line. If you give slippery Scottie an inch he will take it a mile. MJ had the right approach at just beating the shit out of this dude until he stopped being a little bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNno0nBxMI

Reggie43
05-17-2020, 07:51 PM

Pippen said that about Hakeem. Only going from what I remember back then.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 07:51 PM

The way he wrote it, it reads that Pippen said that about Hakeem. I have never heard either FWIW. I know Pippen and Barkley had beef but never heard anything about Barkley.

All 3 were past their primes. The team did underachieve but it should be noted they went from a 50 win pace team with Pippen to missing the playoffs after he left (Portland also missed the playoffs after he left, as did Chicago under different circumstances).

Dude stop whining about the doc. You don't like it, stop watching it. Or spend your time correcting it.

I swear I wouldn't give two sh*ts about a LeBron doc. Never watched The Shop (https://www.hbo.com/the-shop), don't know what they talk about or who the guests are. If I'm not interested, I don't waste my time with it. I thought everyone was like that.

Are you paid to defend the doc? Other than MJ stans everyone here thinks it is a puff piece. Maybe we are all wrong but it should tell you something when every non-MJ stan scoffs at it...

Round Mound
05-17-2020, 07:58 PM
PIPPEN´s broken down stats. You say he was NOT A TOP 10 PLAYER IN THE 90's? Check This Out

Player Efficiency Rating

1990-91 NBA 20.6 (20th)
1991-92 NBA 21.5 (13th)
1993-94 NBA 23.2 (4th)*Without Jordan
1994-95 NBA 22.6 (7th)
1995-96 NBA 21.0 (15th)
1996-97 NBA 21.3 (17th)
1997-98 NBA 20.4 (19th)

Box Plus/Minus

1990-91 NBA 5.8 (10th)
1991-92 NBA 6.1 (6th)
1992-93 NBA 4.0 (14th)
1993-94 NBA 7.7 (3rd)*Without Jordan
1994-95 NBA 7.5 (3rd)
1995-96 NBA 6.3 (8th)
1996-97 NBA 5.7 (9th)

Offensive Box Plus/Minus

1990-91 NBA 3.2 (16th)
1991-92 NBA 4.1 (11th)
1993-94 NBA 4.5 (5th)*Without Jordan
1994-95 NBA 4.4 (8th)
1995-96 NBA 4.6 (9th)
1996-97 NBA 4.3 (14th)
1997-98 NBA 3.3 (17th)
1997-98 NBA 5.0 (8th)
1999-00 NBA 3.6 (20th)

Defensive Box Plus/Minus

1987-88 NBA 1.3 (19th)
1990-91 NBA 2.5 (7th)
1991-92 NBA 2.0 (12th)
1993-94 NBA 3.2 (5th) *Without Jordan
1994-95 NBA 3.0 (3rd)
1995-96 NBA 1.7 (17th)
1997-98 NBA 1.6 (19th)
2001-02 NBA 1.6 (14th)
2002-03 NBA 1.6 (19th

Value Over Replacement Player

1990-91 NBA 5.9 (10th)
1991-92 NBA 6.4 (5th)
1992-93 NBA 4.7 (9th)
1993-94 NBA 6.8 (5th)*Without Jordan
1994-95 NBA 7.2 (3rd)
1995-96 NBA 5.9 (7th)
1996-97 NBA 6.1 (8th)
1999-00 NBA 3.9 (19th)

:confusedshrug:

Round Mound
05-17-2020, 08:02 PM
Pippen was a great teamate who would sacrifice the look of his stats in order for the Bulls to be more effective and win. He could have left easily for another team and for more money but he stayed even with MJ not there for 93-94 and part of 94-95. He was a superstar in his own right who recieved alot less money relative to his level of play. Everyone on the Bulls says Scottie was the best teamate and got everyone involved.

Roundball_Rock
05-17-2020, 08:05 PM
Pippen was a great teamate who would sacrifice the look of his stats in order for the Bulls to be more effective and win. He could have left easily for another team and for more money but he stayed even with MJ not there for 93-94 and part of 94-95. He was a superstar in his own right who recieved alot less money relative to his level of play. Everyone on the Bulls says Scottie was the best teamate and got everyone involved.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

warriorfan
05-17-2020, 08:10 PM

He’s a great teammate compared to Barkley who would show up overweight and eat pancakes while riding the exercise bike as slow as possible in practice instead of playing with his team. :oldlol:

Charles Barkley was lovin' McDonalds breakfast more than practice when he was on the Philadelphia 76ers.
Barkley's former 76er teammate Jayson Williams told Vice's "Cookies" podcast that in Philadelphia the Hall of Famer would show up to practice and eat a hearty breakfast in front of the team.

"He's just making — he's got his back toward us and he's doing stuff — I'm like, 'What the hell is he doing?' So, he takes the eggs, and he takes the pancakes, the sausage, maple syrup and butter, puts it all in one, wraps it up with the pancake and gets some extra syrup," Williams said.

"And I'm going, 'Wow, (you're) going to eat that then and come run with us?' Hell no," Williams said. "He's going to eat that while he's on the stationary bike. Peddling one mile an hour going…'Run the floor!'…'That's why we ain't never going to win the game!' And pancake is spitting out [of] his mouth."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/charles-barkley-showed-practice-ate-mcdonalds-article-1.2719998%3foutputType=amp

Round Mound
05-17-2020, 08:19 PM
He’s a great teammate compared to Barkley who would show up overweight and eat pancakes while riding the exercise bike as slow as possible in practice instead of playing with his team. :oldlol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/charles-barkley-showed-practice-ate-mcdonalds-article-1.2719998%3foutputType=amp

What does Barkley have to do with the thread? :confusedshrug: Most of his Sun's teamates liked Barkley alot. They would not be bowing down when Barkley got the MVP in 93 if they hated him. Its true Barkley did not work out alot in practice and was overweight. That's the reason why hi career did not last longer and the fact that he needed his athletic ability cause he was su undersized for his position

Thunder Dan talking about Barkley (minute 1:33): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHe1rvyKv4E

HoopsNY
05-17-2020, 09:18 PM

I watched all 7 games of that series with the Lakers back in 2000. Rasheed Wallace was the most important player for Portland and offered the best low-post presence to counter Shaq's scoring. He also provided great help defense for Sabonis against Shaq. I haven't seen a combination of players like Sabonis+Sheed limit Shaq the way they did in that series of any playoff series in Shaq's prime. Keep in mind, Shaq was limited to 17 pts in game 6, and 18 in game 7. That didn't come off the strength of Pippen.

Sheed shot the ball a lot better than Pippen and averaged over 23 a game in that series. Pippen's defense was important as he was the best defensive player on that team, but Portland was a great team defensively. Sheed's offensive production and defensive help was by far the biggest factor in that series, particular in pushing it to 7 games.

juju151111
05-17-2020, 09:34 PM

you think Pippen better than Barkley?

Round Mound
05-18-2020, 06:51 AM
you think Pippen better than Barkley?

Not from 85-93. After that its pretty close both where top 10 players for some 3 or 4 for years...

ImKobe
05-18-2020, 07:12 AM

He couldn't get out of his contract regardless. He only got more money once his deal was up in '98. He sat out half the season and forced a trade, the only reason he wasn't traded was because of how small his contract was.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 10:14 AM
He couldn't get out of his contract regardless. He only got more money once his deal was up in '98. He sat out half the season and forced a trade, the only reason he wasn't traded was because of how small his contract was.

This is based on nothing.

His contract had nothing to do with whether he was traded. The last trade got vetoed by Jordan...

BigShotBob
05-18-2020, 10:18 AM
This is based on nothing.

His contract had nothing to do with whether he was traded. The last trade got vetoed by Jordan...

Did DWade ever refuse to step into the final seconds of a playoff game while down 0-2 because he wasn't given the last shot?

Jog my memory please.

jayfan
05-18-2020, 12:20 PM

Either way, Bullard is entitled to his opinion. Not sure why this matters seeing as how this is one person as opposed to the players that did say he was their favorite.

Because the roles were different. And the teams were different. Pippen didn't want to be Pippen. He wanted to be Jordan. Badly. So badly, that he actually convinced himself that he was. Idiot. And it backfired on him when he went to Houston. Because he's not Jordan. Jordan acting like himself on his team is much different than Pippen trying to act like Jordan on Hakeem's team.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 12:23 PM
It backfired on Jordan himself in Washington. Things change.

Why the silence on Pippen in Portland? We are hearing a lot about 1 year.

97 bulls
05-18-2020, 01:04 PM
Because the roles were different. And the teams were different. Pippen didn't want to be Pippen. He wanted to be Jordan. Badly. So badly, that he actually convinced himself that he was. Idiot. And it backfired on him when he went to Houston. Because he's not Jordan. Jordan acting like himself on his team is much different than Pippen trying to act like Jordan on Hakeem's team.
Oh for goodness sake. If Michael Jordan shot your mother, it'd be ok because of how great of a basketball player he is? Berating a person is berating.

Monta Ellis MVP
05-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Oh for goodness sake. If Michael Jordan shot your mother, it'd be ok because of how great of a basketball player he is? Berating a person is berating.

I agree that Jordan was nothing but a big bully. People want to say bullying is okay when it is not. LeBron is my GOAT even with less championships because he did it without bullying.

jayfan
05-18-2020, 01:22 PM

As an old-school, die-hard Pistons fan, I'm hardly a Jordan stan. You're barking up the wrong tree with your agenda.

You're the one trying to inject Jordan into a Pippen thread. And the differences are real, even if you don't like them.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 01:25 PM

What he basically is saying is if MJ does it it is great, if someone else does it "bad teammate."

Meanwhile MJ himself got tuned out by his teammates when did it in DC, which we never hear about.

tpols
05-18-2020, 01:39 PM

Exactly.

Jordan could back up being the bad guy so you just had to eat it. Scottie couldnt.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Jordan could back up being the bad guy so you just had to eat it.

News to his Washington teammates... :lol

97 bulls
05-18-2020, 01:55 PM
As an old-school, die-hard Pistons fan, I'm hardly a Jordan stan. You're barking up the wrong tree with your agenda.

You're the one trying to inject Jordan into a Pippen thread. And the differences are real, even if you don't like them.

What's the difference? Why is one guy saying this would have happened on the Bulls. Or the one that incites an actual physical altercation when he feels something is going the way he feels it should?

I honestly dont care about what Matt Bullard says. As I stated earlier. It's his opinion. I honestly think the difference is that the tolerance threshold for certain behaviors is much higher when your winning as opposed to losing.

BigShotBob
05-18-2020, 01:59 PM
What's the difference? Why is one guy saying this would have happened on the Bulls. Or the one that incites an actual physical altercation when he feels something is going the way he feels it should?

I honestly dont care about what Matt Bullard says. As I stated earlier. It's his opinion. I honestly think the difference is that the tolerance threshold for certain behaviors is much higher when your winning as opposed to losing.

Pippen is complaining about not being involved when he was the worst offensive player on the floor. He couldn't even put two and two together.

Barkley even as fat and lazy was still on a different level than him.

tpols
05-18-2020, 02:07 PM
News to his Washington teammates... :lol

that actually makes the point stronger... MJ's tough guy routine faltered when he no longer could play like a superstar. It fell on deaf ears when the team was losing.

in the 90s you had no choice to respect it because he was gonna be dragging you kicking and screaming through the playoffs regardless.

Pippen had his chance without MJ, with Barkley, and with Portland and choked in every single instance.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Wait--so Pippen's leadership worked in Chicago and Portland. So when it worked in two places and not in one you are harping on the one place it didn't (according to 1 teammate during that 1 season). With Jordan it worked once place and failed in a second place.

Yes, Pippen is a choker. Meanwhile all those ringless 90's stars were valiant heroes who lost despite never choking and playing awesome all the time. :bowdown:

We get it Pippen sucked; every other 90's star was awesome.

BigShotBob
05-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Wait--so Pippen's leadership worked in Chicago and Portland. So when it worked in two places and not in one you are harping on the one place it didn't (according to 1 teammate during that 1 season). With Jordan it worked once place and failed in a second place.

Yes, Pippen is a choker. Meanwhile all those ringless 90's stars were valiant heroes who lost despite never choking and playing awesome all the time. :bowdown:

Finally you admit the truth.

Now let it go.

97 bulls
05-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Now let it go.

Lol. Wow

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 02:17 PM

MJ won all by himself! :bowdown:

32jazz
05-18-2020, 02:50 PM

GTFO. Jordan was replaced by Pete Myers & the '94 Bulls were probably a phantom foul away from the NBA Finals. Jordan never had to drag a CBA player like Myers through the playoffs.

94 Bulls trade a late 1st Rd pick for Derek Harper ( instead of letting him go to the Knicks) they are back in the NBA Finals & certainly beat the Knicks.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 02:52 PM
GTFO. Jordan was replaced by Pete Myers & the '94 Bulls were probably a phantom foul away from the NBA Finals. Jordan never had to drag a CBA player like Myers through the playoffs.

94 Bulls trade a late 1st Rd pick for Derek Harper ( instead of letting him go to the Knicks) they are back in the NBA Finals & certainly beat the Knicks.

:applause:

LAL
05-18-2020, 02:58 PM
I agree that Jordan was nothing but a big bully. People want to say bullying is okay when it is not. LeBron is my GOAT even with less championships because he did it without bullying.

:oldlol:

Da_Realist
05-18-2020, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxaiZopBYE

Colin said he covered Scottie in Portland. Thinks Scottie was portrayed accurately in the doc. Great player, but not a great leader. Starts at 4:30.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 05:55 PM
The irony of this is these guys (Cowherd, Gottlieb) praise "other players" for doing exactly what Bullard criticized Pippen for doing. You can't pick and choose when it is "alpha" and when it is "bad teammate."

During the doc Cowherd had a segment praising MJ for doing exactly what Bullard said Pippen did in Houston. That was around the same time as the segment you linked to.

Soundwave
05-18-2020, 06:02 PM
The actual truth is for "controversial" stuff, Pippen did more controversial stuff than Jordan. Refusing to go into a playoff game is a betrayal of the fundamental competitive nature of sports. Choosing to purposefully sabotage your own team by not getting surgery in the summer is also another one.

Why be that spiteful as well ... like even if you wanted to enjoy your vacation, you couldn't take a month off in the tropics somewhere, come back and get the surgery in early August at least? You have to go way out of your way to wait until October to get it done.

Getting into it with Barkley was also tasteless, he called him a fat-ass unprovoked, say what you want about him but that's another top 25 all-time great player, you don't shoot off at the mouth like that about a player who's arguably better than you. If you want to say that stuff behind closed doors, OK, but to say it in the media, especially when Charles did not say anything bad about Pippen, I always felt was disrespectful.

If a star player was behaving like this today they would get absolutely killed for it.

And I do think for the most part Pip was a great guy, I'd have him on any team I was putting together any day, but he has some serious transgressions on his record that you can't just give a pass to. The documentary is not wrong to bring these things up.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Case in point. Jordan, Kobe do it and Cowherd, Gottlieb praise them and run segments about how "MJ wanted to win" and "MJ was soooo alpha!". Pippen does it and he is a bad guy.

The irony is the Bullard thing is an outlier in Pippen's career; nearly every source documents MJ being this way with his teammates.

This is why there was backlash to the doc. Hypocritical coverage like this as they bend into pretzels to push MJ.

Getting into it with Barkley was also tasteless, he called him a fat-ass unprovoked

How about calling a #1 pick a slur and destroying his confidence? That's "being alpha", right?

It wasn't unprovoked, although dumb to do so publicly (it may have been after he left, though). Pippen thought Barkley wasn't committed to winning. Sound familiar?

Soundwave
05-18-2020, 06:09 PM
Case in point. Jordan, Kobe do it and Cowherd, Gottlieb praise them and run segments about how "MJ wanted to win" and "MJ was soooo alpha!". Pippen does it and he is a bad guy.

The irony is the Bullard thing is an outlier in Pippen's career; nearly every source documents MJ being this way with his teammates.

This is why there was backlash to the doc. Hypocritical coverage like this as they bend into pretzels to push MJ.

If Jordan purposefully refused to go into a playoff game because he was upset someone else was going to take a shot, or purposefully delayed surgery for months to sabotage his own team over a contract that he willingly signed he would be rightfully roasted for those things.

Any great player would be.

If anything, Pippen is very lucky there was not the same kind of social media presence at that time and everyone was more interested in Dennis Rodman wearing a dress.

If that happened today he would not have the same image that he has largely enjoyed for a long time.

We all know Jordan doesn't like Isiah either, but he never is disrespectful of Isiah to the media. Pippen calling Barkley names to the press I always thought was also diva-like ... you don't do that to a contemporary/better player, not in public.

A lot of this behavior was child-ish.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 06:12 PM
We are talking "leadership" not going into games. You are deflecting because the hypocrisy is obvious. People like you, DR, others like Cowherd and Gottlieb praise Jordan or Kobe for doing exactly what Bullard says Pippen did. Yet Pippen sucks for doing it. You can't have it both ways.

What do you think the public reaction to using a slur and destroying a teammate's confidence in the same year would be?

Soundwave
05-18-2020, 06:17 PM
We are talking "leadership" not going into games. You are deflecting because the hypocrisy is obvious. People like you, DR, others like Cowherd and Gottlieb praise Jordan or Kobe for doing exactly what Bullard says Pippen did. Yet Pippen sucks for doing it. You can't have it both ways.

What do you think the public reaction to using a slur and destroying a teammate's confidence in the same year would be?

Bullard can have his opinion on that, players also change as they get older and often develop an attitude.

Maybe Pippen did have a bit of an entitled attitude in Houston, obviously that team underachieved.

No one's saying it's bad to have an "alpha attitude" ... there is a time and place where you need to have it in pro sports. But it should work to the benefit of the team, not to its detriment and I guess some people in Houston felt that wasn't the case in this scenario.

Generally too if you're going to have an attitude or feel entitled ... fine. But you better be a dominant player on the floor in that case, and I don't think Scottie was that by 1999.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 06:19 PM
It didn't work for MJ either in DC--we don't see articles about it 20 years later.

It is interesting we have only Bullard. Nothing from Portland teammates coaches, nothing from Chicago teammates and coaches. One guy in Houston. It is entirely possible he tried a different approach in Houston. It also is possible Bullard has some beef with him.

At any rate, there is a level of hypocrisy to praise one guy for doing something and then ripping a guy for doing the same. Especially when you run segments the next day praising the other guy as a great leader and great alpha and "will to win" and all the random gibberish we always hear with MJ.

Soundwave
05-18-2020, 06:21 PM
It didn't work for MJ either in DC--we don't see articles about it 20 years later.

It is interesting we have only Bullard. Nothing from Portland teammates coaches, nothing from Chicago teammates and coaches. One guy in Houston. It is entirely possible he tried a different approach in Houston. It also is possible Bullard has some beef with him.

At any rate, there is a level of hypocrisy to praise one guy for doing something and then ripping a guy for doing the same. Especially when you run segments the next day praising the other guy as a great leader and great alpha and "will to win" and all the random gibberish we always hear with MJ.

Yes and no one really celebrates the Wizards years.

Being an "alpha" is part of pro sports though, but that actually involves doing it on the court not just having an attitude. Scottie wasn't able to back that up on the floor in Houston.

juju151111
05-18-2020, 09:12 PM

Why are you always so full of shit. Quiting on your team in a playoff game is apart of leadership. Mj had the Wizards 26-21 and was 6/7 shooting before his knee injury in the kings game. He started the season slow because he didn't get in Shape because Ron artest broke his rips in offseason and had to get his knee drain right before the season started. This was broken down 38 year old too was in the Mvp conversation. Before his injury he was 25,5,6 42% and his stats was getting better each month because like i said about his conditioning and knee drain.

juju151111
05-18-2020, 09:13 PM

Mj was in mvp discussion before his knee injury.

knicksman
05-18-2020, 09:34 PM

stop crediting portland to pippen. They made it to conference finals the year before. And the problem with you guys is that you guys think that just because the guy does a lot means that hes the better player. Quality over quantity. Despite kobe having lesser stats, his skills are harder to learn thats why most players respect him over bron coz they know how hard it is.

knicksman
05-18-2020, 09:49 PM

dude. hakeem is already a winner. That team doesnt need another alpha yet he came there thinking hes going to be the man over hakeem when he hasnt proven himself yet that he could win as the lead dog. Hes on the same level as barkley who hasnt won as the man yet barkley was respectful.

Roundball_Rock
05-18-2020, 10:28 PM
His teammates tuned him out in Washington. That is an established fact. Sorry the "documentary" did not cover anything like that.