PDA

View Full Version : Give me your "About the same" groups.

Kblaze8855
05-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Ive always felt tiers were the best way to make a list of greats since they are all so accomplished you just end up deciding how to bend things to suit your argument. But I dont think we need anything as cut and dry as specific tiers on this one. What im asking is which groups of players arent different enough for you to argue if someone ranks them in any order. For example....

I dont care which of the following players you rank a little higher:

David Robinson
Dirk
Kevin Durant
Karl Malone
Oscar
Elgin Baylor
KG

I have an opinion on which of them is best. A fairly strong opinion on which of them should be last. But....its a thin enough margin for me not to think youre an idiot for whatever order you place them. I likely wont agree. But I wont feel a need to pull it aside for mocking.

That said....this is my rough draft on a "Bout the same" ranking.

Jordan
Russell
Kareem

I would accept any of them as 1, 2, or 3 and not fight about it.

Wilt
Bird
Magic

Formerly parts of my untouchable 6 but I probably would wanna argue a little if you definitively put one of them over the first list and gave no wiggle room so ill make it two.

7-13 in whatever order you want. You wont likely get me fighting about it.

Duncan
Hakeem
Kobe
Shaq
Doctor J
Lebron
Oscar

Doc and Oscar the obvious two most of ISH wont accept. But I dont care what most of ISH accepts. Put any of those players at #7...or #13...if youre doing it in a respectful way? Id probably let it go.

Longest one:

David Robinson
Dirk
Kevin Durant
Jerry West
Pettit(im in no position to argue with those who knew him well....they rank him alongside themselves on these lists)
Karl Malone
Moses Malone
Barkley
Elgin Baylor
KG
Isiah Thomas
Steph
Wade
Hondo

Which I guess means id accept any of that last list from 14 to 27th all time though it feels like a long run to be a single group. I was gonna throw on a few more to make it 30 but I cant think of anyone else I wouldnt raise an eyebrow at. Maybe Mikan? Hes the hardest to rank really. You kinda have to pull an arbitrary number out of your ass and count some of his accomplishments or admit you just dont count him at all. Im choosing to cop out and say I just dont know whats fair.

As for the rest....its not a fact they are better than everyone not listed. Probably 50 more guys who would look about as good as them on one court. Bernard King in his prime isnt gonna be regularly outplayed by some of those guys...and he might not be top 100 career wise. YOu could argue Rick Barry was better than Hondo in the same league. Isiah isnt just miles better than Nash or Chris Paul. So its not set in stone individually. But those are about the only people I could see ranked as high as they are there and not feel a need to ask "But what about_____?".

Kblaze8855
05-19-2020, 07:45 AM
I just didnt feel like calling it tiers because of some of those individual matchups I mentioned. Im keeping it more loose. Those are the groups who if im talking with my friends I wouldnt make it a whole....thing...no matter the order. In a casual non argument fueled environment where you arent gonna break out your "vorp" and various nerd spreadsheets and just go along with the flow.....

Your "I can let that go...." groups.

You dont have to agree all of them are the same tier. I just wanna know who you wouldnt bother arguing over.

That might be the best way to look at it. A "I can let that go...." list.

You dont need to feel all the people in the group are the same...but you arent gonna stop what youre doing and fight about it. Doesnt have to be 25-30. Just...whatever you feel like doing. I may come along later and add some individual players you can give me 3-4 others you wouldnt argue about. Some down the list types who wouldnt come up in this elite group.

Whoah10115
05-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Well I wanna put Magic and Bird firmly above Russell and Kareem.

AlternativeAcc.
05-19-2020, 08:16 AM
Tier 1: LeBron

Tier 2: Bird, Magic

Tier 3: kareem, russ, shaq, Duncan, wilt, hakeem

Tier 4: Dr J, West, Jordan

Tier 5: barkley, kg, dirk, kobe, Oscar, pippen

ImKobe
05-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Tier 1: LeBron

Tier 2: Bird, Magic

Tier 3: kareem, russ, shaq, Duncan, wilt, hakeem

Tier 4: Dr J, West, Jordan

Tier 5: barkley, kg, dirk, kobe, Oscar, pippen

Seek help.

AlternativeAcc.
05-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Seek help.
The list factors in team impact, casuals like yourself won't like it

But its a more accurate list than anything ISH has ever produced

Manny98
05-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Tier 1

LeBron
Jordan

Tier 2

Shaq
Kareem
Wilt
Russell
Duncan
Bird
Magic
Kobe
Hakeem

Tier 3

Curry
KD
Robinson
Erving
Oscar
West

Tier 4

Malone (both)
Barkley
Dirk
Wade
Pippen
Nash
Stockton
CP3
KG
Stockton
Zeke
Kawhi
Baylor

999Guy
05-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Isiah Thomas rankings is just proof this is always gonna be some emotional narrative driven practice more than anything else.

Would anyone bet their life GP doesn’t actually outperform Isiah in his place on those Pistons? Stockton?

Would anyone actually bet on the Suns not being worse if you replaced him with KJ even before Chuck got there?

What in the world does Isiah do better than Chris Paul?

Now that I’m done bitching I’ll throw a few groups together. Lenient on injury proneness for the spirit of what this is. Just level of play over prime, not really caring about longevity.

In no order:

Kareem
Jordan
LeBron
Mikan
Russell

Shaq
Hakeem
Duncan
KG

Wilt
Robinson
Curry
Bird
Oscar
West
Magic
Paul

Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Malone
Malone
Barkley
Durant
Kawhi
Westbrook
Frazier

Kawhi could be higher but not big on last year at all. Very fortunate career of resting on loaded teams that cover all his weaknesses in every way.

I’ve seen Chris Paul legitimately outplay guys like Curry and Durant in separate situations in Playoff series. Then I’ve seen Durant wax Kawhi in a series Mano e Mano. Then just last year in the finals I felt Curry was then best player in the finals under pretty bad circumstances.

When you get past unfair combinations of skill and athleticism like LeBron/Hakeem/Jordan/Kareem etc we are talking about the same level for a lot of these guys regardless of what narratives say.

Even Karl Malone was sweeping Shaq’s ass out of the postseason before he started really playing defense under Phil.