PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce: LeBron isn't a top 5 player of all time.

dreamshake
05-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Pierce instead names Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant as his Top 5.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/paul-pierce-inexplicably-says-le-bron-james-is-not-a-top-5-nba-player-of-all-time-185008481.html

And another one.

Manny98
05-20-2020, 06:57 PM
Paul Pierce a few months ago

https://streamable.com/m08yy

How does Lebron go from Jordan & Magic combined and more skilled than Kobe according to Paul Pierce to not being a top 5 player of all time :facepalm

Duncan21formvp
05-20-2020, 07:18 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/paul-pierce-inexplicably-says-le-bron-james-is-not-a-top-5-nba-player-of-all-time-185008481.html

And another one.

Lebron isn't even better than me.

3ball
05-20-2020, 07:38 PM
- 6 losses in championship, mostly with super-teams

- not elite on post (a pre-requisite for top 5)

- not elite shooter from anywhere (pre-requisite for top 5)

- doesn't take contested jumpers

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

- net negative in 2013 Finals (Heat lost with him on floor)

- 4 record losses or sweeps

- lost as favorite 3 times

- team-hopped 3 times to play with the best players

- fields low-assist teams because teammates see lower assists alongside him

- is often exploited by "letting him shoot" (brickcity and passivity) or "let him dribble (no ball-movement)

- doesn't command double-teams, so can't free up teammates

- 0-8 on clutch shots in championship

- low team ceilings - perennial underdog regardless of cast; needs tons of help due to ball-dominance/low ball movement, aka weak brand/weak teamwork

- Lost 2 Finals with 27 ppg sidekick (11') and 29 ppg sidekick (17')

- 7 years in his prime without MVP (14-20')

- his defensive assignment won FMVP four times

- only lebron allowed his man to average 2+ points above their regular season averages in 14' 15', 17', and 18' Finals - aka he was the only Heat or Cav playing bad defense

- record time of possession (ball-domination) in 15' and 18' Finals (30% more than regular season Harden)

- lebron starts at SF but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor.. teammates see lower ball-time and assists in lebron's 2 PG lineups than traditional 1 PG lineups.. lower teammate assist means low TEAM assist ranks and struggles on the championship level

Lebron23
05-20-2020, 07:43 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

- is often exploited by "letting him shoot" (brickcity and passivity) or "let him dribble (no ball-movement)

- low team ceilings - perennial underdog regardless of cast; needs tons of help due to ball-dominance/low ball movement, aka weak brand/weak teamwork

- only lebron allowed his man to average 2+ points above their regular season averages in 14' 15', 17', and 18' Finals - aka he was the only Heat or Cav playing bad defense

- record time of possession (ball-domination) in 15' and 18' Finals (30% more than regular season Harden)

- lebron starts at SF but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor.. teammates see lower ball-time and assists in lebron's 2 PG lineups than traditional 1 PG lineups.. lower teammate assist means low TEAM assist ranks and struggles on the championship level

Stfu michael jordan

Axe
05-20-2020, 07:52 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

Wow, that's a long list of bran's shortcomings.

Your counterpart should compose a dedicated one about your fave player as well.

SATAN
05-20-2020, 08:06 PM
We taking Paul Peirce seriously now? Dude is dumb as dog shit.

dreamshake
05-20-2020, 08:23 PM
We taking Paul Peirce seriously now? Dude is dumb as dog shit.

If he’s as dumb as dog shit and he beat Lebron in the playoffs, what does that make Lebron? :lol

SATAN
05-20-2020, 08:28 PM
If he’s as dumb as dog shit and he beat Lebron in the playoffs, what does that make Lebron? :lol

He is known for having shitty opinions and flip flopping though.

eliteballer
05-20-2020, 08:38 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/news_feeds/icons/mobile/000/019/699/7f7.jpg

Turbo Slayer
05-20-2020, 08:39 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/news_feeds/icons/mobile/000/019/699/7f7.jpg You got banned at Realgm for about a week so you come here and try to shit post? LOL.

Weirdo posting fetish.

dreamshake
05-20-2020, 08:47 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

:applause:

eliteballer
05-20-2020, 08:56 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-18-2020/C9Pl6a.gif

HoopsNY
05-20-2020, 10:56 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

While I think it's reasonable to place LeBron at 5th or 6th all time, some of your criticisms aren't fair and could be applied in a similar fashion to other great players. No great player has a blemish-free record, even Mj. Mj's 1995 debacle and his losses to Detroit can't be ignored.

Having said that, Paul Pierce is an idiot, but he's not entirely wrong. I tend to weigh prime/peak years over longevity/careers. If we're talking about longevity/careers, then Lebron is #2, without question and that isn't debatable. But for prime/peak years, then I'd rather have Mj, Magic, Kareem, Bird, and Hakeem on my team before I have LeBron. Though it really is close between Bird, Hakeem and Lebron.

SouBeachTalents
05-20-2020, 11:29 PM
While I think it's reasonable to place LeBron at 5th or 6th all time, some of your criticisms aren't fair and could be applied in a similar fashion to other great players. No great player has a blemish-free record, even Mj. Mj's 1995 debacle and his losses to Detroit can't be ignored.

Having said that, Paul Pierce is an idiot, but he's not entirely wrong. I tend to weigh prime/peak years over longevity/careers. If we're talking about longevity/careers, then Lebron is #2, without question and that isn't debatable. But for prime/peak years, then I'd rather have Mj, Magic, Kareem, Bird, and Hakeem on my team before I have LeBron. Though it really is close between Bird, Hakeem and Lebron.
You got prime Magic ahead of LeBron, Hakeem & Bird? I'm the exact opposite, I'd pick him last of that group :lol

HoopsNY
05-21-2020, 12:02 AM
You got prime Magic ahead of LeBron, Hakeem & Bird? I'm the exact opposite, I'd pick him last of that group :lol

Why is that? I'm open to questioning my position.

Whoah10115
05-21-2020, 12:10 AM
Crazy that a Celtic has Kobe over Bird. Bird ahead of both Kobe and LeBron.

Lion's pride
05-21-2020, 12:18 AM

as I believe as well.

Copied from another Topic..

1 - I hate ESPN with a passion.. always have always will..

2- also hate when people put Magic over Bird.. Magic was so damn limited in the halfcourt.. So damn un-clutch other than a single hook shot.. man didn't have a pull up jumper.. no turn-around, and had only a set jump shot in te 2nd half of his career.. and certainly never been a "go-to" player..

The NBA wanted to create a rivalry narrative between Bird and Magic.. Bird Not Magic was CPOY... Bird Not Magic was ROY.. Bird Not Magic went to a 26 win team and made them a 60+ win team as a rookie.. Bird Not Magic won 3 straight MVPs before Magic touched one.. and in that year Bird had his best season ever.. but no way could you give Bird 4 straight MVPs. Another one of Magic's MVPs came when Barkley actually received more 1st place votes, yet lost because they counted 2nd and 3rd place votes overall. To which Barkley replied " he aint no azz kisser like Magic..

He was also listed at 6-8 for most of his career then at mid-20s he Magically became 6-9??

Magic is and should be a top 10 player, but is the BIGGEST FRAUD of the top 10 easily..

PS.. I was born in the 60s and watched all of the 80s.. This is not my "YouTube" opinion..

Lion's pride
05-21-2020, 12:23 AM
Just for the record, I have NO GOATs. too many greats dominated in different ways.

But I do have a top 4

In No order

KAJ-Bird-Jordan-Lebron

Haven't seen Russell or Wilt, but my top 4 are all on my top Tier..

2nd Tier - Hakeem, Shaq - Kobe- Magic.

sue me..

ZenMaster7210
05-21-2020, 12:25 AM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

Excellent post here for those who want truth. Bravo!

ZenMaster7210
05-21-2020, 12:28 AM
Hahahah LOL

Lebron23
05-21-2020, 12:29 AM
Hahahah LOL

You're an idiot

Lion's pride
05-21-2020, 12:31 AM
You're an idiot

Are you calling me an idiot for my post??

Lebron23
05-21-2020, 12:33 AM

Zenmaster7210, and 3ball. I quoted the wrong posts..

ImKobe
05-21-2020, 03:26 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3zoTAbMu27n6zrH2/giphy.gif

86Celtics
05-21-2020, 07:52 AM
as I believe as well.

Copied from another Topic..

1 - I hate ESPN with a passion.. always have always will..

2- also hate when people put Magic over Bird.. Magic was so damn limited in the halfcourt.. So damn un-clutch other than a single hook shot.. man didn't have a pull up jumper.. no turn-around, and had only a set jump shot in te 2nd half of his career.. and certainly never been a "go-to" player..

The NBA wanted to create a rivalry narrative between Bird and Magic.. Bird Not Magic was CPOY... Bird Not Magic was ROY.. Bird Not Magic went to a 26 win team and made them a 60+ win team as a rookie.. Bird Not Magic won 3 straight MVPs before Magic touched one.. and in that year Bird had his best season ever.. but no way could you give Bird 4 straight MVPs. Another one of Magic's MVPs came when Barkley actually received more 1st place votes, yet lost because they counted 2nd and 3rd place votes overall. To which Barkley replied " he aint no azz kisser like Magic..

He was also listed at 6-8 for most of his career then at mid-20s he Magically became 6-9??

Magic is and should be a top 10 player, but is the BIGGEST FRAUD of the top 10 easily..

PS.. I was born in the 60s and watched all of the 80s.. This is not my "YouTube" opinion..

Bird was always considered superior to Magic during their playing days. Somewhere down the line that somehow changed probably because of Magic's better longevity which included winning championships while Bird was struggling with his injuries. It's a misconception that has carried on until now and it has been pretty much universally accepted.

For all intents and purposes though Bird was the better player.

dbugz
05-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Coming from his greatest rival?

Yup he isn't!

top 11 at best.

RogueBorg
05-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Wow, that's a long list of bran's shortcomings.

Your counterpart should compose a dedicated one about your fave player as well.

:roll:

RogueBorg
05-21-2020, 09:34 AM

Excellent post :applause:

Axe
05-21-2020, 09:43 AM
You're an idiot

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8a576030e9de7e3b4617150f5ab22c55/tenor.gif

tpols
05-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Crazy that a Celtic has Kobe over Bird. Bird ahead of both Kobe and LeBron.

Pierce played lebron and kobe many times so it is an interesting opinion.

Hey Yo
05-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Game 4 of the ECSF

Complex Sports@ComplexSports

In 2014, Paul Pierce demanded to guard LeBron, saying he knew his tendencies more than anyone.

LeBron scored 49 points (67% FG) in a win.

https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1263203518376271883

short video in the link showing James pissing all over PP.

deathawaitu
05-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Water is wet

The consensus has always been that Kobe > Lebron

Lebron is borderline top 10, but most people have him ranked 13ebron

dazzer87
05-21-2020, 10:53 AM
Nothing wrong with what Pierce said........

ThatCoolKid
05-21-2020, 02:04 PM
It's honestly astonishing to me how long some of you have been arguing about the same things over the years. Seeing 3ball and Lebron23 bitch at each other in the year 2020 is remarkable.

Lebron23
05-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Game 4 of the ECSF

In 2014, Paul Pierce demanded to guard LeBron, saying he knew his tendencies more than anyone.

Only reason Pierve beat him earlier in the playoffs was because of Pierce having a better teammates. Once LeBron had the better team. Pierce never won a playoffs team against him.

bullettooth
05-21-2020, 03:39 PM
MJ > Bird > Magic > Kareem > Kobe > LeBron

LeBron is 6th, his favourite number too; wore it in Miami. Chasing MJ's 6 finals chips but only able to get 6 finals losses instead.

dbugz
05-21-2020, 03:48 PM
^I got TD > LeQuit

LAL
05-21-2020, 04:05 PM

We know, it's just that lebron has ALOT of those, too many basketball flaws and major faillures to just put him comfortably wherever the media usually ranks him.

dreamshake
05-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Bron Stans avoiding this thread like the coronavirus

Wally450
05-21-2020, 09:22 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

Either this is rent free or a meltdown. Possiby both.

Kingwillball
05-22-2020, 12:22 PM
Water is wet

The consensus has always been that Kobe > Lebron

Lebron is borderline top 10, but most people have him ranked 13ebron

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105801/ranking-top-74-nba-players-all-nos-10-1?platform=amp

Bankaii
05-22-2020, 01:09 PM
MJ > Bird > Magic > Kareem > Kobe > LeBron

LeBron is 6th, his favourite number too; wore it in Miami. Chasing MJ's 6 finals chips but only able to get 6 finals losses instead.
What a terrible ranking list.
Stick to lame gifs, when you post “seriously” it’s just...turrible

Vino24
05-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Game 4 of the ECSF

I like pierce but he seems to be showing early signs of dementia

bizil
05-22-2020, 01:34 PM
GOAT shit factors:

Solo Accolades
Team Accolades
Numbers
Peak-prime value
Longevity being great
Impact on the league (rules change because of you, redefining a position, being a true face of the league, etc)

When u factor all of this shit, Bron HAS TO BE in the top 5 GOAT! There's just no way around it. MJ, Cap, Bron, Magic, and Russ are the top 5 GOAT. For me, MJ and Cap are the top two GOAT. From there, u could rank the others in numerous ways among the top 5 GOAT. Personally I would go with MJ, Cap, Bron, Russ, and Magic as my top 5 GOAT.

When it comes to Mamba in comparison to the other five, only 1 MVP and not redefining his position the way the others did are the main differences in their resumes. MJ, Cap, Bron, Magic, and Russ all have at least 3 MVPs, 3 rings, multiple Finals MVPs, and of course redefined their positions. Before them, their weren't players CLOSE to the package they brought to their position. They all had different formulas to do it, BUT they totally redefined their positions.

Vino24
05-22-2020, 02:00 PM
GOAT shit factors:

Solo Accolades
Team Accolades
Numbers
Peak-prime value
Longevity being great
Impact on the league (rules change because of you, redefining a position, being a true face of the league, etc)

When u factor all of this shit, Bron HAS TO BE in the top 5 GOAT! There's just no way around it. MJ, Cap, Bron, Magic, and Russ are the top 5 GOAT. For me, MJ and Cap are the top two GOAT. From there, u could rank the others in numerous ways among the top 5 GOAT. Personally I would go with MJ, Cap, Bron, Russ, and Magic as my top 5 GOAT.

When it comes to Mamba in comparison to the other five, only 1 MVP and not redefining his position the way the others did are the main differences in their resumes. MJ, Cap, Bron, Magic, and Russ all have at least 3 MVPs, 3 rings, multiple Finals MVPs, and of course redefined their positions. Before them, their weren't players CLOSE to the package they brought to their position. They all had different formulas to do it, BUT they totally redefined their positions.

Facts! If you have LeBron outside of the top 5 you are literally delusional

dreamshake
05-22-2020, 02:06 PM
Nothing wrong with what Pierce said........

The Truth hath spoken.

dreamshake
05-22-2020, 07:33 PM

- 2011 Finals

- 2007 Finals

There's a reason they call him, the Truth. Bron Stans on suicide watch.

Duncan21formvp
06-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Paul Pierce has outplayed Lebron constantly

SouBeachTalents
06-04-2020, 04:39 PM
Pierce was also a better all around player than Bird

dbugz
06-04-2020, 05:01 PM

imagine having paul pierce as your greatest rival :roll:

light
06-04-2020, 05:08 PM

https://s7.gifyu.com/images/Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-2.03.27-PM.png

Pierce has only outscored LeBron 2 times in 30 playoff games. :lebronamazed:

Turbo Slayer
06-04-2020, 06:02 PM
content deleted to fit the character restriction (3500) Really? This is so easy to break down. I will probably waste an hour on this but hey why not since I'm bored...

6 losses in championship, mostly with super-teams You make it seem like every superstar had equal supporting casts. (Hint: They don't.)

2007 Finals- LeBron James went to the Finals with this core (2nd option & 3rd option & 4th option), Drew Gooden and Daniel Gibson and Sasha. Compare that to a Prime Duncan and Manu and Bowen, no shit the series would be lopsided.

Drew Gooden (2nd option) didn't match the numbers of Tim Duncan and Manu in that series so yeah.

After LeBron left the Cavs to go to Miami Heat to form a superteam, it was stacked in 2011, then good in 2012, and then super in 2013, and meh in 2014.

2011 Finals- No excuses here.

2014 Finals- You have to remember that Wade in 2014 wasn't the same as Wade in 2009. Wade was battling with injuries sitting out 1/3 of a season while the Spurs core stayed relatively intact. Although it was a bit debatable if LeBron's numbers reflect his true impact in the series.

Bosh was actually better than Wade in the series having a higher GmSc. Wade was outplayed by Manu, Duncan, and Parker by Game Score (not including 1st options). Also Bosh was outplayed by Manu (marginally), Duncan, and Parker. So it's reasonable that LeBron did not have a supporting cast up to par and they were ousted in 5 games.

2015 Finals- The Cavaliers had the talent to be called a superteam but I feel like it lacked the "aura" to call it a true superteam compared to the Lakers, Celtics. In the 2015 Finals they were not a superteam. They lost Love and Kyrie in Game 1. So yet again it felt like 2007 Cavs all over again.

Mozgov was outplayed by Green and Iggy and Thompson, the same thing. Kyrie Irving posted a GmSc of 21.1 in Game 1 so the Cavs would have won the Finals if Kyrie was healthy.

2017 Finals- The Cavaliers were horrible on defense all year long and GSW was top notch on defense.

2018 finals- Same as 2007 and 2017 basically.

Also quoting Finals records is hilarious considering there is two other all-time greats (possibly goat-level candidates) that all had better Finals records than MJ. Bill Russell (11-1) and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6-4).

-------------------------

not elite on post (a pre-requisite for top 5) Kobe, KD, Malone, Barkley, Dirk all had great postgames. If they had a superior postgame to LeBron then why are they not in the top 5? Simple question.

doesn't take contested jumpers What? That's just terrible basketball. It's actually a plus for LeBron that he doesn't take them jumpers b/c it is just stupid to jack up a heavily contested shot that just wasted a possession.

2007 Finals See at the top of my post. LeBron had a subpar supporting cast when comparing it to the Spurs.

net negative in 2013 Finals (Heat lost with him on floor) And the Heat got even WORSE when LeBron was off the floor so it's a non-point so LeBron was improving the Heat when he was on the floor.

Turbo Slayer
06-04-2020, 06:04 PM
4 record losses or sweeps If anything it shows how limited LeBron's supporting cast was relative to his Finals opponent supporting casts and how powerful the opponents were.

team-hopped 3 times to play with the best players If Bron never left the Cavs god awful office and his regressing supporting cast after 2010 he would been ringless and laughed upon. Not good for legacy. So LeBron did what's best for his legacy. Get a great core around him aka Wade and Bosh and a decent supporting cast for the future. It's no surprise when LeBron had good supporting casts in the Finals and were evenly matched; they won. They won in 2012, 2013, and 2016. Also MJ went to the Wizards so does that make MJ a "hopper"?. Or like when Kareem went to the Lakers, does that make him a "hopper"? There's are so many examples of players (role players, borderline all stars, all stars, superstars, and all-time greats) switching teams so that makes them all "hoppers"? Ok.

--------------------------------------

is often exploited by "letting him shoot" (brickcity and passivity) or "let him dribble (no ball-movement) and
doesn't command double-teams, so can't free up teammates Myth.

------------------------

0-8 on clutch shots in championship Clutch doesn't have to be considered just shots y'know... Assists, steals, and blocks are a thing.

--------------

Lost 2 Finals with 27 ppg sidekick (11') and 29 ppg sidekick (17') You are not factoring in the opponents.

--------------------

7 years in his prime without MVP (14-20') A ridiculous arbitary criteria but nonetheless. You also got to considered the fact there were other better players to choose in 14-20.

Also you are not considering the historical precedents that come with being MVP too.

his defensive assignment won FMVP four times Again, I stress to you that basketball is a team sport and it's not 1v1.

------------------------------

only lebron allowed his man to average 2+ points above their regular season averages in 14' 15', 17', and 18' Finals - aka he was the only Heat or Cav playing bad defense So no blame goes to the other players playing bad defense on his Finals teams? Typical and predictable.

------------------------------------

record time of possession (ball-domination) in 15' and 18' Finals (30% more than regular season Harden) Yet that "ball-domination" willed the Cavs up 2-1 before falling apart due to lack of help. Also who do you want to give the ball to more often other than Kyrie? Mozgov? Smith? Delly?

Also in the 18' Finals (also 15' Finals) the lack of help hurted LeBron's chances, not his style of play. It's pure nonsense coming from you.

--------------------------

lebron starts at SF but then becomes a 2nd point guard on the floor.. teammates see lower ball-time and assists in lebron's 2 PG lineups than traditional 1 PG lineups.. lower teammate assist means low TEAM assist ranks and struggles on the championship level Nonsense. The lack of help (especially 2007, 2014 (possibly), 2015, 2017 and 2018) struggled on the championship level. Not style of play. Also LeBron can afford to be "ball-dominant" because he is a great passer and terrorizes the defense in the paint and outside too.

Duncan21formvp
06-05-2020, 12:22 AM
https://s7.gifyu.com/images/Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-2.03.27-PM.png

Pierce has only outscored LeBron 2 times in 30 playoff games. :lebronamazed:

He beat Lebron without HCA when Lebron had Shaq.

Wally450
06-05-2020, 10:17 AM
imagine having paul pierce as your greatest rival :roll:

I've questioned this before when you've posted it, but Pierce was a baller back in LeBron's 1st Cavs stint as well as his Heat years. Idk why you discredit Pierce in order to knock down LeBron.