PDA

View Full Version : We missed out on a 1 vs. 8 match-up between the Lakers and Nash/Stat/Shaq Suns in '09

ArbitraryWater
05-23-2020, 06:48 AM
By 2 games...

ain't that annoying.

That's more annoying than missing out on GSW/OKC in 2015 by a game since KD was out, but not as annoying as Kawhi deciding not to play the 2018 1st round against GS.

Any other intriguing 1st rounds we missed out on where a team missed the playoffs that would have been dangerous, and more playoff-made than the one that made it?

SouBeachTalents
05-23-2020, 07:35 AM
We almost got Wade/LeBron in '05

One that I think that gets underplayed is the Lakers getting the tiebreak over Golden State in '07, forcing the Mavs to play the Warriors instead of the Lakers. That changed the entire complexion of the playoffs

Overdrive
05-23-2020, 07:51 AM
By 2 games...

ain't that annoying.

That's more annoying than missing out on GSW/OKC in 2015 by a game since KD was out, but not as annoying as Kawhi deciding not to play the 2018 1st round against GS.

Any other intriguing 1st rounds we missed out on where a team missed the playoffs that would have been dangerous, and more playoff-made than the one that made it?

Shaq had a good, throwback kind off season, but he disrupted the Suns gameplan. The got worse with him and better without him again. Don't think they posed much danger.

We almost got Wade/LeBron in '05

One that I think that gets underplayed is the Lakers getting the tiebreak over Golden State in '07, forcing the Mavs to play the Warriors instead of the Lakers. That changed the entire complexion of the playoffs

Yeah, that was absolutely crazy. Don was massively overconfident and some pundits even predicted an upset and that shit happened. It was like it was set up to happen.

Even crazier to think that we were 2 wins away from a Lebron-Kobe final. That's what everyone wanted to see back then.

tpols
05-23-2020, 07:54 AM
i mean lakers played the suns many times already... shaq was washed up by that point what'd he used to call himself the big cactus or something lol

ArbitraryWater
05-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Shaq had a good, throwback kind off season, but he disrupted the Suns gameplan. The got worse with him and better without him again. Don't think they posed much danger.

Yeah, that was absolutely crazy. Don was massively overconfident and some pundits even predicted an upset and that shit happened. It was like it was set up to happen.

Even crazier to think that we were 2 wins away from a Lebron-Kobe final. That's what everyone wanted to see back then.

Sure the chance of the Suns winning are slim, but just for the Lakers/Suns history AND Kobe-Shaq history it would have been EXTREMELY interesting. See how the players respond to that attention.

I never paid any attention to the 07 tiebreaker. God damn. No chance in hell Lakers beat the Mavs.