PDA

View Full Version : If being GOAT really is about the story, who would be the GOAT?

iamgine
05-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Is it really Paul Pierce? I don't think his story is particularly compelling.

SouBeachTalents
05-23-2020, 08:32 AM
There is a lot of truth in that. I don't think it's a coincidence that the 3 most talked about players all happened to have the 3 most memorable and intriguing careers in league history

Akeem34TheDream
05-23-2020, 08:51 AM
If I am making a movie about an NBA players' career its either Kobe or Duncan. They both started great, had a success drought for a few years and had a comeback.

SATAN
05-23-2020, 10:24 AM
It's absolutely what the media tell you to believe and keep supporting that because you don't have your own mind. That's how they think it is.

ArbitraryWater
05-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Jordan, easily.

Good story and arc, but overall just a disney feel good, where you can convince yourself he was „invincible“. Everything went right for him.

3ball
05-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Jordan, easily.

Good story and arc, but overall just a disney feel good, where you can convince yourself he was „invincible“. Everything went right for him.

MJ landed in a tough conference that required an all-time team to win it - teams like the 01' Sixers, 03' Nets, 07', Cavs or 09' Magic could never win the 80's East, so lebron lucked out by landing in a conference that didn't require a strong cast or team to win.. yet he formed a super-team

And to win rings, MJ had to use the most possessions ever with the best efficiency per possession ever for a wing, with the best production rate ever (#1 in all production rate stats)

How is that "everything going right"??...

Lebron only needed to average 2-5 points and 3 assists more than his sidekick on championship runs, while MJ needed 10-20 more than his sidekick with equal assists (more assists in 91/93/97).. so mj's load was clearly greater.. Again, he had to use the most possessions ever at the goat efficiency rate for wings - that's the definition of goat load

People forget that the 11' Heat and 15' Cavs were preseason favorites to win the title - so it's an easier path to land on teams favored to win the title in Year 1 of existence (easiest path), compared to building favorite status over several years (hardest path)

iamgine
05-23-2020, 01:41 PM
If I am making a movie about an NBA players' career its either Kobe or Duncan. They both started great, had a success drought for a few years and had a comeback.
Kobe does have that twist ending going for him