PDA

View Full Version : Players most and least accurately depicted by their highlights?

Kblaze8855
05-23-2020, 06:38 PM
Who would you say you get the best idea of how they really played on a regular basis if all you have is their highlights? For most players you can build a highlight video showing them doing just about anything they do once in a while. But some people play most games.....like their highlights. Not many. But it happens.

Off the top of my head the two best might be Magic and Steph. They actually play the way highlights make it seem. Not 100% of the time of course but often enough that you aren’t being mislead. I’ve always felt Jordan highlights do a poor job showing his shooting touch in traffic and off ball play which were a massive part of his game. Dirk is another guy...his highlight are mostly plays you can expect to see on a regular basis.

On the other end?

Kareem. Every Kareem highlight you see on ESPN is a bald guy shooting a sky hook. This is closer to the real Kareem....give me like a minute of it.

https://youtu.be/6dCR8B0SFp4

Jumpers, floaters, fade-aways, transition scoring. Kareem was giving dudes the one legged Dirk fade....just going in. Unlimited bag.

But tv shows you an old man shooting hooks.

Im not sure who is worse served by what highlights choose to show. But perhaps you have an idea.

Reggie43
05-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Reggie Miller's highlights being mostly catch and shoot jumpshots make him look like a one dimensional player for the younger generation but in reality at his peak he was a good one on one player that could put the ball down the floor with his quick first step using it to drive, pullup or draw fouls.

Reggie43
05-23-2020, 09:19 PM
https://youtu.be/Cgk24LrIeGk

Better shows how he played at his peak offensively.

Phoenix
05-24-2020, 04:11 AM
Hakeem, Kyrie, Nash, Barkley off the top of my head as being fairly represented by their highlights. Rodman's defense/rebounding highlights.

Ray Allen seems often depicted as a jumpshooter( and being the leader in 3s perpetrates that further) but he was much more of a ball handler,slasher and dunker in his prime than his highlights( at least his most famous ones) represented.

Kareem comments on the 3 point shot though, how prophetic. Any idea on when he said that?

iamgine
05-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Off the top of my head the two best might be Magic and Steph. They actually play the way highlights make it seem. Not 100% of the time of course but often enough that you aren’t being mislead.

Can't agree with that. Magic highlights always shows him doing these fancy passes. 95% of the time he does simple passes.

fourkicks44
05-24-2020, 07:34 AM
https://youtu.be/6dCR8B0SFp4

That is an awesome video thanks, Kblaze :applause:

BigShotBob
05-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Most: Jordan

Least: Harold Miner

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 09:56 AM
even for blaze, this is too abstract of a thread cmon npw

Reggie43
05-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Mark Jackson is another one, he pounded the ball hard in the post against opposing guards in his days with the Pacers which forced the Nba to change the rules but what we see in the highlights are mostly him leading the break and giving out assists.

Kblaze8855
05-24-2020, 10:16 AM
even for blaze, this is too abstract of a thread cmon npw

I thought it was fairly straight forward.

Kblaze8855
05-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Mark Jackson is another one, he pounded the ball hard in the post against opposing guards in his days with the Pacers which forced the Nba to change the rules but what we see in the highlights are mostly him leading the break and giving out assists.

That’s a good one. I clearly made this before I decided my videos should be accurate depictions instead of highlights only:

https://youtu.be/Jd_g0dsf61o

That shit is like 15 years old.

Extra credit for finding the one clip of a bounce pass alley oop that was not actually thrown by Mark. My quality control standards weren’t as high in 2005. Or maybe I just wanted to show something I was sure nobody else had footage of. Can’t say. But it ain’t mark jackson passing it.

RRR3
05-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Yeah that Kareem video is sick. It’d be fun to see him play in today’s league. He’d definitely be shooting 3s occasionally, but I think he’d do it for the same reason Jokic and Embiid (along with Zion, the best post players in the league today)do-to keep defenses honest and spread the floor. I don’t think Kareem would be jacking up 3s like KAT (who is a sniper in fairness to him)

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 10:37 AM
Awesome Kareem video.

I don‘t like how Wilt is backing off just trying to get the block. Bad defense.

Phoenix
05-24-2020, 10:43 AM
Vince's highlights don't show how much of a shooter he was. He was shooting 40% on 3s on 5 attempts by his third season. You wouldnt know that because this coincided with his dunking prime.

Reggie43
05-24-2020, 01:06 PM
That’s a good one. I clearly made this before I decided my videos should be accurate depictions instead of highlights only:

https://youtu.be/Jd_g0dsf61o

That shit is like 15 years old.

Extra credit for finding the one clip of a bounce pass alley oop that was not actually thrown by Mark. My quality control standards weren’t as high in 2005. Or maybe I just wanted to show something I was sure nobody else had footage of. Can’t say. But it ain’t mark jackson passing it.

Saw this many years ago and after rewatching it I love that you included his postup on Kobe because he really did that even against the bigger guards. At times he was guarded by off guards because they need a quicker player to guard Reggie's offball movement but what Mark would do is post them up nonetheless and score on them.

Carbine
05-24-2020, 05:37 PM
If you watched Kblaze 2K My Player highlights it would be the least accurate representation of his actual ability.

By the highlights he is a passing wizard, some of the nicest footwork and a joy to play with.

In actual terms, he was a ball hog and always had to make the highlight passes, which is why he had a 1:3 assist to turnover ratio. The kind of guy that Charles would say "dribble, dribble, dribble.... dribble dribble dribble" when he's talking about Harden.

Kblaze8855
05-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Which one of us had the rest of the team wanting to freeze them out again? Was that me or you?

Nickel Hardaway fed you more than you deserved and you always tried to bite the hand.