PDA

View Full Version : Rank these "2nd tier" Power Forwards at their peaks...

Im Still Ballin
05-24-2020, 01:40 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge
Elton Brand
Amare Stoudemire
Blake Griffin
Kevin Love
Rasheed Wallace
Zach Randolph

*Am aware some of these guys played center at times -- consider them PFs.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-24-2020, 01:48 AM
1. Amare Stoudemire
2. Rasheed Wallace
3. Elton Brand
4. Blake Griffin
5. LaMarcus Aldridge
6. Zack Randolph
7. Kevin Love

Im Still Ballin
05-24-2020, 01:49 AM
1. Elton Brand
2. Amare Stoudemire
3. Blake Griffin
4. LaMarcus Aldridge
5. Kevin Love
6. Rasheed Wallace
7. Zach Randolph

Notes:

- I got Elton #1 because he is a better defender than Amare
- LaMarcus over Love because of how he carried San Antonio a couple seasons ago (career year)
- Rasheed over Zach because more impact on the game -- 2 way player

Clippersfan86
05-24-2020, 12:37 PM
1. Elton Brand
2. Amare Stoudemire
3. Blake Griffin
4. LaMarcus Aldridge
5. Kevin Love
6. Rasheed Wallace
7. Zach Randolph

Notes:

- LaMarcus over Love because of how he carried San Antonio a couple seasons ago (career year)

Great list, but I'd probably move Aldridge down to 5, and put Sheed there. Sheed was the most versatile player here, and his defense was #1 easily. Love/Zbo round out the bottom for me, despite being great in their own right. Elton Brand is definitely #1 for me because of how he put it all together in those 2-3 peak years. What works against Brand is the injuries derailing him in his prime (short prime), but none of these players outside of Brand had seasons of being ELITE on both ends, while being constant 20/10/2 guys. The 06 playoff run by Brand was INCREDIBLE. He averaged like 31/11/3 blocks or something vs the really good Suns. Clippers no doubt should of won that series. I think if EB wasn't competing with prime Duncan/KG/Dirk... he would of been the best PF of his era. He was better than Chris Webber most years for example. Brand shot an insane nearly 50% from midrange the last couple years of his peak. He was not only an elite back to basket guy, but he became an incredible pick and pop guy.. who always was in running as best offensive rebounder in the league+capable shotblocker.

imdaman99
05-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Webber over all of them, followed by Sheed closely.

Clippersfan86
05-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Webber over all of them, followed by Sheed closely.

Is passing more important for a big than efficiency or defense? Webber gets a free pass, but he's not better than Brand or Amare for sure. I'd put him around the Sheed/Aldridge level. His defense was meh for much of his prime. His efficiency was terrible. He was basically DeMarcus Cousins of the PF position. Flashy passing, got buckets on bad efficiency... didn't do much of the important things like defending+controlling the glass at the same level of his peers. Elton Brand's+Amare's metrics beat CWebb literally every year of their prime basically.

Webber had 4 big scoring seasons from 00-03. In these seasons his efficiency was 106 ORTG, 51% TS, usage of 30% (pretty damn high for an inefficient player) on 21 shots per game. That gives you an idea of how inefficient he was. He was basically the DMC/Iverson of his position. A bunch of highlight reel passes don't make his impact any greater.

Clippersfan86
05-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Amare was easily #1 on offense, nobody get it twisted. My one reason I give Brand an ever so slight edge is his way better defense. Amre was a MONSTER. No holes in his game offensively. I just have trouble ranking a guy who's defense is so far behind his offense. He was ahead of his time efficiency wise. We are talking about a face up big who's 4 year peak is somewhere around 25 ppg on 62%+ TS (despite a lot of midrange jumpers), with a near 120 ORTG. He has an insanely good .250 WS/48 3 year peak (this is tier 1 superstar level, most guys that have hit around .300 or greater are in the GOAT discussion such as Jordan/Lebron/Wilt etc).

Doranku
05-24-2020, 02:06 PM
1. Amare
2. Brand
3. Blake
4. Sheed
5. LMA
6. Love
7. Randolph

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Stat and Aldridge most consistent playoff performers.

Sheed and Blake peak level was nice, but they never did anything dramatic in the playoffs even then.

1. Stoudemire
2. Aldridge
3. Griffin
4. Brand
5. Sheed
6. Randolph
7. Love

Gotta take Stat and LMA 1/2.

Did their thing for years. Reliable.

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Amare
Blake
Brand
LMA
Rasheed
Love
Zbo

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Griffin's peak is underrated imo.

I was obviously a big lakers fan in the early '10s and that dude was totally filthy.

I've never seen a guy fall off as hard as he did.

it's like he only had a couple year stretch where he could posterize everybody and then it totally disappeared.

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Griffin's peak is underrated imo.

I was obviously a big lakers fan in the early '10s and that dude was totally filthy.

I've never seen a guy fall off as hard as he did.

he was filthy last year too

there was a stretch in 14 or 15 (i think 15) where paul went out and he carried the clips doing like 25/12 on 55%

Clippersfan86
05-24-2020, 03:09 PM

there was a stretch in 14 or 15 (i think 15) where paul went out and he carried the clips doing like 25/12 on 55%

What works against Blake is super short prime. But peak he's there with Amare/Brand.

tpols
05-24-2020, 03:54 PM

yea but he's been more of a slow dribbler monopolizer nowadays.

His orchestration is nice, but he was so much more impressive as a finisher and off ball threat.

The guy was a literal monster.

AlternativeAcc.
05-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Armare is number 1 and Love is last for me

I have Randolph in the upper half and Griffin in the lower half.

LostCause
05-24-2020, 07:51 PM
1. Elton Brand
2. Amare Stoudemire
3. Blake Griffin
4. LaMarcus Aldridge
5. Kevin Love
6. Rasheed Wallace
7. Zach Randolph

Notes:

I agree with this . Blake may get a bump, he’s really underrated

Kblaze8855
05-24-2020, 08:09 PM
The closest Elton Brand came to anything that mattered in his entire career was briefly staving off elimination before going home in the second round. We really do a lot of picking and choosing far as when accomplishments matter. 17, 15, 39, 27, 28, 37, 47 and 40 wins....was injured...came back and won 27 and 41 in philly before getting old. People out here building a whole argument on one good healthy halfway successful season and a high paced losing playoff series Shawn Marion had multiple 30/20 games in.

Elton was a good player but not someone I’m just dying to get a hold of. His very productive Bulls run did nothing for me. He never really....did...anything.

Yes it still takes being good to put up 20/12 on a 15 win team. But he didn’t do much to compare to a lot of guys his name has history being rewritten to put him next to.

If we are acting like everyone is the best 5 months of 16 year careers you gotta reshuffle everyone.

Whoah10115
05-24-2020, 10:16 PM
The closest Elton Brand came to anything that mattered in his entire career was briefly staving off elimination before going home in the second round. We really do a lot of picking and choosing far as when accomplishments matter. 17, 15, 39, 27, 28, 37, 47 and 40 wins....was injured...came back and won 27 and 41 in philly before getting old. People out here building a whole argument on one good healthy halfway successful season and a high paced losing playoff series Shawn Marion had multiple 30/20 games in.

Elton was a good player but not someone I’m just dying to get a hold of. His very productive Bulls run did nothing for me. He never really....did...anything.

Yes it still takes being good to put up 20/12 on a 15 win team. But he didn’t do much to compare to a lot of guys his name has history being rewritten to put him next to.

If we are acting like everyone is the best 5 months of 16 year careers you gotta reshuffle everyone.

I generally agree with this, but also I always liked Brand a lot. I think he'd be a regular all-star if on less shitty teams.

Aldridge my pick, with Amar'e behind him. I think he's really really good.

But true that you can't single out a guy for one season, solely on the basis of production. With some players, you'll see them sniff that special talent they may have. But with others, it's a season's equivalent of a career high.