PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Perkins: ‘It Was A Lot Easier To Win Against Kobe Bryant Than It Was LeBron

SpaceJam
05-24-2020, 09:31 AM
“All I know is it was a lot easier to win against Kobe Bryant than it was LeBron James. You can talk if you want to talk, but I was right there in the thick of things with you. I know he (Pierce) had to really prep for LeBron James and when we got to the Lakers it was smacked up six,” the former center said.

Discuss.

Monta Ellis MVP
05-24-2020, 09:36 AM
I agree with Kendrick Perkins. He is a very intelligent man and knows a lot about basketball.

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 09:54 AM
My man Perk setting the record straight

Game planning for Kobe was simple

Smacked those boys up

Smacked them up in 2010 too before Perk went down.

Would have never given up so many rebounds in game 7.

RRR3
05-24-2020, 10:19 AM
If he’s comparing the 11&12 Heat to the 08&10 Lakers, no shit those Heat teams were harder to beat.

Rysio
05-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Lol Celtics in 08 let LeBrick shoot wide open jumpers but hacked Kobe on every play and tried their best to shut him down.

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Lol Celtics in 08 let LeBrick shoot wide open jumpers but hacked Kobe on every play and tried their best to shut him down.

Hacked Kobe on every play hahaha

Wally450
05-24-2020, 11:10 AM
LeBron made the Celtics work in 2008 while the Celtics made the Lakers look like bitches.

FireDavidKahn
05-24-2020, 11:47 AM
Welp.

All the LeBron haters that keep touting "I'll listen to what the players think" just got completely destroyed.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Wade and Bron on the same team?

Would imagine it'd be tougher.

Duncan21formvp
05-24-2020, 12:02 PM
I’m sure Dwight would say it was a lot easier to win against Lebron than it was against Kobe as well.

imdaman99
05-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Those Cavs had better defense than the Lakers. You ended up having Radmanovic on Pierce or Allen or KG or Rondo. So it was not a good matchup for the Lakers, they beat them once they got Artest... would have beat them easier with Ariza.

tpols
05-24-2020, 01:42 PM
You dont want to know how bad lebron's performance in 2008 against the Celtics was.

He shot like '04 Kobe, and his teammmates dragged him to 7.

Kobe otoh played better than Lebron against them, yet they lost in 6.

I swear.... Lebron cant do anything without a super team. His jumper has dissapeared in halfcourt playoff sets far too many times.

LAL
05-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Those Cavs had better defense than the Lakers. You ended up having Radmanovic on Pierce or Allen or KG or Rondo. So it was not a good matchup for the Lakers, they beat them once they got Artest... would have beat them easier with Ariza.

Facts. I always forget kobe beat the defending champs Spurs with Radmanovic at sf, even Walton was starting some games.

Manny98
05-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Let's see

LeBron is 25-19 vs Perkins
Kobe is 15-22 vs Perkins

Kendrick is literally lying he has a losing record against LeBron but a winning one against Kobe :facepalm

Edit: my bad I read it wrong :oldlol:

theballerFKA Ace
05-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Kendrick is literally lying he has a losing record against LeBron but a winning one against Kobe :facepalm

Edit: my bad I read it wrong :oldlol:

Did you forget to switch alts to your pro Kobe/anti-Le11th user again?

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:14 PM
You dont want to know how bad lebron's performance in 2008 against the Celtics was.

He shot like '04 Kobe, and his teammmates dragged him to 7.

Kobe otoh played better than Lebron against them, yet they lost in 6.

I swear.... Lebron cant do anything without a super team. His jumper has dissapeared in halfcourt playoff sets far too many times.

In 2008, after being done whipping the Lakers in the finals Brian Scalabrine basically started talking about how tough Lebron played the Celtics. ie the real finals was against Lebron James. From the words of the White Mamba himself. Nice revisionist history though.

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:16 PM
In 2008, after being done whipping the Lakers in the finals Brian Scalabrine basically started talking about how tough Lebron played the Celtics. ie the real finals was against Lebron James. From the words of the White Mamba himself. Nice revisionist history though.

27 ppg on 96 ORTG.

All time bad production.

Kevin Garnett is really ****ing underrated btw. While ray and pierce constantly stunk it up, this dude was going off on offense, and anchoring a GOAT defense.

Doranku
05-24-2020, 02:19 PM
If he’s comparing the 11&12 Heat to the 08&10 Lakers, no shit those Heat teams were harder to beat.

He was in OKC during the '11 and 12 playoffs so he could only be talking about '08 and '10 Cavaliers.

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:21 PM
also perkins was in a role that demanded extreme attention to LBJ. one of the greatest finishers ever... Center play is the ultimate key to limiting him.

He didnt have to prepare for kobe like that because kobe toasted dudes from mid range.

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:24 PM
also perkins was in a role that demanded extreme attention to LBJ. one of the greatest finishers ever... Center play is the ultimate key to limiting him.

He didnt have to prepare for kobe like that because kobe couldn't get to the rim.

Fixed.

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:27 PM
https://cdn.lowgif.com/full/bb729c79974ab8db-best-ankle-breakers-ever-message-board-basketball-forum.gif

That's baby Kobe on Ben Wallace.

Next...

i just realized thats the exact same crossover he hit pippen with before the iconic oop to shaq.

Doranku
05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Don't really understand the logic behind this. I mean LeBron was downright horrific more often than not against those '08 and '10 Celtics.

In just 13 games against those Celtics in the playoffs, Bran had games of:

2-18
6-24 (:lol)
5-16
7-20
9-23
3-14
7-18
8-21

In 8 of the 13 games, the "King of Efficiency" shot under 40% from the field. He also had 5 games with 7+ turnovers. :wtf: Kobe wasn't the greatest against those Celtics teams but Bran was noticeably worse.

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:35 PM
https://cdn.lowgif.com/full/bb729c79974ab8db-best-ankle-breakers-ever-message-board-basketball-forum.gif

That's baby Kobe on Ben Wallace.

Next...

i just realized thats the exact same crossover he hit pippen with before the iconic oop to shaq.

Young Kid Kobe drives by clunky old school NBA center :lol. In today's switchable NBA centers are not only much more versatile - but switching ensures that mismatch never happens.

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Lebron's playmaking unlocks his teammates potential. Shooting numbers alone cannot express the true genius that Lebron has :facepalm

Doranku
05-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Young Kid Kobe drives by clunky old school NBA center :lol. In today's switchable NBA centers are not only much more versatile - but switching ensures that mismatch never happens.

Wallace is the one he dunks on, not the one defending him on the perimeter you idiot.

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 02:39 PM
he probably just means in general playing them, lebron was tougher to gameplan against and far far better than chuckbe

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Wallace is the one he dunks on, not the one defending him on the perimeter you idiot.

My point still stands. Defenses are much more advanced nowadays.

tpols
05-24-2020, 02:42 PM

jesus christ kid, ben wallace was kendrick perkins x1000.

you need to go back to school.

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Don't really understand the logic behind this. I mean LeBron was downright horrific more often than not against those '08 and '10 Celtics.

In just 13 games against those Celtics in the playoffs, Bran had games of:

2-18
6-24 (:lol)
5-16
7-20
9-23
3-14
7-18
8-21

In 8 of the 13 games, the "King of Efficiency" shot under 40% from the field. He also had 5 games with 7+ turnovers. :wtf: Kobe wasn't the greatest against those Celtics teams but Bran was noticeably worse.
2/18 with 10 turnovers just might be the WOAT statline

ArbitraryWater
05-24-2020, 02:44 PM
2/18 with 10 turnovers just might be the WOAT statline

what was harden's 2015 elimination game line against the warriors tho

SouBeachTalents
05-24-2020, 02:46 PM
what was harden's 2015 elimination game line against the warriors tho
2/11 with 12 TO's. I'd still say LeBron's is worse

Fun fact Harden went 2/11 in another elimination game 2 years later, playing the Spurs at home without Kawhi in a game he lost by 40

3ball
05-24-2020, 02:52 PM
DRtg vs 08' Celtics

Cavs - 101.0

Lakers - 113.0

^^^ that's how the Cavs went 7 and withstood lebron's horrible offense

It's remarkable that Kobe still went 6 despite having a much worse defense

dbugz
05-24-2020, 02:54 PM
LOL

Kobe > lebron

Not even close

jstern
05-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Now Perkins is on a big crusade to prove that Lebron was better than Kobe. I can't trust his opinions because there's agenda behind it. Now he's pulling for straws with such a ridiculous way to measure two players. He's reminding me of the old Manny98 with his arguments.

Docs Orders
05-24-2020, 06:08 PM
makes sense

Kobe himself severely struggled to win against lebron (6-16)

ThatCoolKid
05-24-2020, 08:55 PM
makes sense

Kobe himself severely struggled to win against lebron (6-16)

True - an often forgotten fact. Head to head of course is not a perfect metric, but when the record is so embarrasingly one sided like that it does say something, in my opinion.

light
05-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Wade and Bron on the same team?

Would imagine it'd be tougher.

He meant in 2008 when the Celtics won the title. Defeating LeBron was harder (7 games) than defeating Kobe in the finals.

light
05-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Pierce's argument in that conversation was weak.

He said he'd pick Kobe to shoot free throws at the end of a game and cited that as a strong reason why he's better.

For one thing, both Kobe and Bron made and missed their fair share of clutch free throws.

But in Pierce's scenario he's only talking about one possession - a free throw or two.

What Perk is saying is that a game is 100 possessions or more and you have a harder time keeping LeBron at bay over the course of a game versus Kobe. That's essentially why LeBron's playoff averages are always superior to Kobe's - even his scoring averages (playoffs/finals) - because he's harder to stop.

Axe
05-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Poor black mamba still getting ridiculed nowadays, despite the fact that he's already in the afterlife. 😔

Axe
05-24-2020, 09:33 PM
people are jealous cause he has 5 nba titles,started out at 18 and gold medal.
people who ridcule,are probably losers who never won anything:lebronamazed:
Like the way you ridicule jordan, right? 😂

Well, thanks for clarifying that matter.

Axe
05-24-2020, 10:03 PM
I love jordan,i just never forgave him win h e said kobe ripped his moves,i never forgot for that
Ok cool story bruh

Cyrus334
05-25-2020, 02:58 AM
I love jordan,i just never forgave him win h e said kobe ripped his moves,i never forgot for that
You never forgave him for speaking the truth lol? Kobe never even bothered to hide the fact that he emulated MJ from his moves all the way down to his mannerisms and speech patterns.

999Guy
05-25-2020, 03:55 AM
History’s been kind to Kobe’s playoff reputation. He has had many duds against high level defenses. Even in his title years with Gasol.

The reality is, the Lakers had an amazing defensive cast around Kobe all the way down to athletic role guys like Sasha and Brown.

Fisher/Odom/Gasol/Ariza/Vuj is a nutty defensive cast.

Kobe played worse than LeBron against the Celtics with a far better team, and worse than CP3 against the Spurs with a far better team.

Gasol was a high level offensive big. LA had a crazy offense with him for the couple months they had him.

LA’s ORTG against SA: 103

Won easily though. Why? 97 DRTG.

Chris Paul led them to 107 ORTG against the same team on pure half court ball. A pace of just 85.

NO had a TOV rate of 8.9%.

23/11/5/2.6 on 55 TS% and 2.2 TOV.

I don’t even know why Kobe gets compared to LeBron.

His peers are the Wade, CP3’s and Dirk’s of the league. And even they all arguably topped him in his prime to 2011.

Fortunate career of loaded teams.

ThatCoolKid
05-25-2020, 05:21 AM
History’s been kind to Kobe’s playoff reputation. He has had many duds against high level defenses. Even in his title years with Gasol.

The reality is, the Lakers had an amazing defensive cast around Kobe all the way down to athletic role guys like Sasha and Brown.

Kobe played worse than LeBron against the Celtics with a far better team, and worse than CP3 against the Spurs with a far better team.

Gasol was a high level offensive big. LA had a crazy offense with him for the couple months they had him.

Chris Paul led them to 107 ORTG against the same team on pure half court ball. A pace of just 85.

His peers are the Wade, CP3’s and Dirk’s of the league. And even they all arguably topped him in his prime to 2011.

You bring up a lot of good points. Yes - it is clear with modern day advanced stats and also the eye test that Lebron is the more impactful player. That being said Kobe was also great.

Doranku
05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
HistoryÂ’s been kind to KobeÂ’s playoff reputation. He has had many duds against high level defenses. Even in his title years with Gasol.

LAÂ’s ORTG against SA: 103

I donÂ’t even know why Kobe gets compared to LeBron.

His peers are the Wade, CP3Â’s and DirkÂ’s of the league. And even they all arguably topped him in his prime to 2011.

One of the worst posts I've ever read on this forum that wasn't blatantly trolling. Honestly don't know where to start. Calling Sasha Vujacic an "athletic role player" is probably a good place. :oldlol: Jesus Christ.

I have no idea why you're citing Fisher and Sasha when trying to claim a "nutty defensive cast"

Kobe played better than Bran against the Celtics in '08. Not close, really. LeBron was historically awful up until game 7. It was LeBron's defensive cast who carried him that year, not Kobe's.

The Lakers had such a low ORtg against the Spurs because everyone not named Kobe was awful lmao. Kobe carried that series offensively while Chris Paul choked away a game 7 on his home floor. Fouled out after scoring 18 points on 18 shots. How do you lose a game 7 on your home floor when the opposing team's best players shoot a combined 18-53? That's why Paul wasn't the MVP (and frankly could never do anything as a #1 in the playoffs). Never knew when his team needed him to take over offensively which he was more than capable of doing.

ArbitraryWater
05-25-2020, 05:36 AM

Bingo.

Most are afraid to say it.

Kobe was a glorified chuck machine surrounded by the best casts in the NBA for 14/17 years.

Anything beyond is just romanticizing the image and thoughts we attach to him.

Axe
05-25-2020, 05:41 AM

Well, they say that kobe has defeated a lot of 50-win teams in the postseason and that he did so in a more stacked conference.

In Lebron's case tho, how many times?

34-24 Footwork
05-25-2020, 06:53 AM
Wow. Sasha Vujecic an athletic wing now? Lol.

Fish was 'nutty' on defense? Lol.

34-24 Footwork
05-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Someone referring to Sasha Vujecic as an athletic role player and people cosigning it tells you all that you need to know. To some people, watching basketball is just an afterthought.

ImKobe
05-25-2020, 08:46 AM
"hard to beat Lebron"

Game 1 - 2/18, 10 turnovers
Game 2 - 6/24, 7 turnovers
Game 3 - 5/16, 2 turnvers
Game 4 - 7/20 4 turnovers

Series was tied 2-2 with Lebron averaging 18.8 ppg and 5.8 tov on 26/25/70 splits. Cavs lost Game 1 @Boston by 4 points, despite Lebron going 2/18 & 10 turnovers for a 12/9/9 stat line & with a -7.

Kobe goes 30/4/8/3 on 11/23 shooting with a +8 in Game 2 and his team loses the game by 6 points, outscored by 14 points in the 7 something minutes he rested. Lakers couldn't win any game where Kobe was even slightly off while the Cavs won two of those. Cavs should have been up 3 - 1 in that series, and it would have likely been done in 6. Lebron had a great Game 7, but he did get his ass busted by PP and disappeared in crunch time.

RogueBorg
05-25-2020, 09:00 AM
those Heat teams were harder to beat.

No they weren't.

Sincerely yours, Jason

SpaceJam
05-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Well, they say that kobe has defeated a lot of 50-win teams in the postseason and that he did so in a more stacked conference.

In Lebron's case tho, how many times?

It's 19-15 Kobe's way from my last re-count

(I don't count the series where Shaq obviously carried)

ThatCoolKid
05-25-2020, 10:07 AM
No they weren't.

Sincerely yours, Jason

I mean you've never beat a single Lebron team so how would you know? Poor little boy is still mad Lebron went to Miami over Chicago. Chicago couldn't even get Melo :lol

Axe
05-25-2020, 08:08 PM
It's 19-15 Kobe's way from my last re-count

(I don't count the series where Shaq obviously carried)
Bran did 15 times??

Stanley Kobrick
05-25-2020, 08:33 PM

I agree with you 999guy

Cleverness
05-25-2020, 08:53 PM
Brian Scalabrine > Kendrick Perkins

Axe
05-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Brian Scalabrine > Kendrick Perkins
They used to be teammates in the 2008 championship roster of the Cs