PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you actually support the back to the basket rule? If so....why?

Kblaze8855
05-25-2020, 04:34 PM
I realize you may not find this entertaining:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlakyThankfulEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

And plays like that game winner and how Barkley and Mark Jackson did people in the 90s led to this now being a turnover:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LateDisguisedAmericanwirehair-size_restricted.gif

Assumption being it slows the game and fans don’t wish to see it. Stupid reason to make something illegal to me but whatever. For the fans.

But this

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FloweryNeighboringFrillneckedlizard-size_restricted.gif

is perfectly fine?

That last play something you feel like watching?

I say we either need the 5 second closely guarded rule from the lower levels to enforce ball movement no matter if you dribble sideways or forward....or scrap the rule and let you attack any way you want.

dreamshake
05-25-2020, 04:45 PM
That’s a good idea. No player can hold the ball for more than 5 seconds once they start dribbling. Players whose stats would drop immensely: James Harden, LeBron James, Chris Paul, guys who dribble the air out of the ball and pass it out at the last second, etc.
Players whose stats wouldn’t be affected at all: Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Kobe Bryant, Kyle Kuzma, quick decision makers, etc.

Gimmedarock
05-25-2020, 04:45 PM
That’s a good question. I admit I’d prefer seeing Harden dance over somebody backing down. It just seems more dramatic. Posting up feels ...old. That’s not the right word but I see old guys at the gym and they post up. I’d rather see someone out high trying to break his guy down. Looks more skillful but I can see how some might not like it.

fourkicks44
05-25-2020, 04:49 PM
That’s a good question. I admit I’d prefer seeing Harden dance over somebody backing down. It just seems more dramatic. Posting up feels ...old. That’s not the right word but I see old guys at the gym and they post up. I’d rather see someone out high trying to break his guy down. Looks more skillful but I can see how some might not like it.

And let me guess, when you guard those old guys they score on you everytime and it frustrates you?

light
05-25-2020, 04:59 PM
When you face up you're exposing the ball and you have to be careful or you will lose it. It gives the defender more of an opportunity.
With your back to the basket it's kind of a cheap and easy way to protect the ball with your body and just sit there like that while there is little a defender can do.

Kblaze8855
05-25-2020, 05:23 PM
I’d say it’s much cheaper to negate good defenders by using the hands off rules that help force switches instead off fighting in many cases. Teams will just let you pick your defender:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GorgeousFlakyAmericancrayfish-size_restricted.gif

The constant switching to expose bad defenders makes it easier on ball handlers than being able to turn your back I’d say.

ralph_i_el
05-25-2020, 06:53 PM
I say scrap the rule. If you don't like it, send a double team.

Whoah10115
05-25-2020, 07:42 PM
I say scrap the rule. If you don't like it, send a double team.

This here. A lot of rule changes are reactions to great players.

I hate that this is a rule made to artificially create entertainment.

Reggie43
05-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Mark Jackson slowing the game down with his play in the playoffs in the late 90s triggered this rule change. Imagine having to watch one of slowest paced teams in the league (27th in 98, 26th in 99) play 3 rounds of playoff basketball with him backing his man down until the other team reacts. I remember he had one dominant game back then and looking back at the stats he had 22pts 14rebs and 13 asts to eliminate the knicks in 98.

Phoenix
05-26-2020, 07:03 AM
Barkley was the main reason for the 5 second rule. Chuck would start out about 15 feet on the wing and just back, back, back you for significant part of the shot clock. Think it's even unofficially called the Charles Barkley rule.

goozeman
05-26-2020, 07:46 AM
Good thread. The inability to really "D" anybody up has pretty much made that rule obsolete. Freedom of movement rules and the constant hesitation "dribble" you see from guys like Harden make it impossible to close out anyway. Might as well scrap it or enforce it facing basket above the free throw line.