PDA

View Full Version : DPOY Awards are pointless

StrongLurk
05-26-2020, 04:22 PM
It's much easier in basketball to quantify offensive impact than defensive impact. I've looked at the "voting" for DPOY over the last 30 years or so and honestly it's terrible. So many "voters" are even blowing it recently and it just feels like the "voters" really don't know what they are doing when it comes to choosing who wins DPOY.

It's different than MVP or Finals MVP because it's pretty damn obvious who is in the top 2-3 for those awards. For DPOY candidates, it's often narrative-based. A guy like Duncan never won DPOY which is ridiculous, and it's not like DPOY has a "best team" narrative going with it like MVP (minus historic seasons like Westbrook in 17). Even all-nba defensive awards are a little suspect.

Bronbron23
05-26-2020, 04:37 PM
its kind of fitting that a steph fan would call a defensive award pointless

Wally450
05-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Didn't Marc Gasol get DPOY then not make defensive 1st team?

Akeem34TheDream
05-26-2020, 04:46 PM
The part that annoys me is differentiating defence with overall ability with having DPOY and MVP awards. That means defence is not really a factor in MVP voting and it has its own award. Sure, offensive impact of top players are more important but still. So I'd be okay if that award was gone.

light
05-26-2020, 06:15 PM
It's much easier in basketball to quantify offensive impact than defensive impact. I've looked at the "voting" for DPOY over the last 30 years or so and honestly it's terrible. So many "voters" are even blowing it recently and it just feels like the "voters" really don't know what they are doing when it comes to choosing who wins DPOY.

It's different than MVP or Finals MVP because it's pretty damn obvious who is in the top 2-3 for those awards. For DPOY candidates, it's often narrative-based. A guy like Duncan never won DPOY which is ridiculous, and it's not like DPOY has a "best team" narrative going with it like MVP (minus historic seasons like Westbrook in 17). Even all-nba defensive awards are a little suspect.

I wouldn't say it's pointless.

The voting you can take as an indicator. It points us in a general direction. Somewhere within those votes is the actual best defensive player in the league that year, but it may not be the guy that ultimately wins the award.

But I think we can all agree that they usually get the candidates right.

So there is some use there.

Over time defensive metrics should improve and become more accurate and more sophisticated, but until then we have this kind of shotgun approach.

Fwiw, Tim Duncan finished in the top 4 in DPOY voting four times and in the top 3 twice.

light
05-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Didn't Marc Gasol get DPOY then not make defensive 1st team?

Yes, in 2013. The same thing happened the previous year in 2012 - Tyson Chandler won DPOY and didn't make defensive 1st team either.

The reason that happened was because the media voted for DPOY while the coaches voted for All-Defensive and they did not agree in those years.

The coaches were pointing to LeBron and Tony Allen and the media pointed to Chandler and Gasol.

The solution the NBA came up with was to remove the coaches from voting and make it all media. :facepalm

So the media has been voting for both DPOY and All-Defensive since 2014.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Yes, in 2013. The same thing happened the previous year in 2012 - Tyson Chandler won DPOY and didn't make defensive 1st team either.

The reason that happened was because the media voted for DPOY while the coaches voted for All-Defensive and they did not agree in those years.

The coaches were pointing to LeBron and Tony Allen and the media pointed to Chandler and Gasol.

The solution the NBA came up with was to remove the coaches from voting and make it all media. :facepalm

So the media has been voting for both DPOY and All-Defensive since 2014.

Wow, kinda forgot that.

All I know is the media clearly had a Tyson Chandler narrative after the Mavs title and move to NY. Like he was some culture changer. And the Knicks didnt even improve that season. That happened the next year.

LeBron was DPOTY in 2012 and 2013

Norcaliblunt
05-26-2020, 06:27 PM
Individual awards in a team sport are lame. We should just recognize the stat leaders if we need to give dudes some sort of personal pat on the back.

BigShotBob
05-26-2020, 06:30 PM
Wow, kinda forgot that.

All I know is the media clearly had a Tyson Chandler narrative after the Mavs title and move to NY. Like he was some culture changer. And the Knicks didnt even improve that season. That happened the next year.

No....not even close.

Tyson Chandler deserved it for the intensity he brought to an ailing Knicks team that lacked a defensive identity.

Marc Gasol held down the paint for the grind house Grizzlies, perhaps the best defensive team in the league.

The media campaigned for Lebron to win the DPOY heavy in 2012 and 2013 but it died down by the end of the season.

Stephonit
05-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Individual awards in a team sport are lame. We should just recognize the stat leaders if we need to give dudes some sort of personal pat on the back.

This is on the money. But they have tickets to sell and individual stars market better. It's why music groups turn into star vehicles. Still for people who take the basketball competition over the entertainment it bears keeping in mind the individual awards are largely malarkey.

tpols
05-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Honestly most awards are pointless.

MVP is extremely narrative driven with no consistent criteria. ie is it best player in the league or best player for their team? how does steve nash have double the MVPs of shaq?

All star is the most garbage... just a huge fan spam vote.

FMVP is decided by 20 and 30 something year old corporate profit seeking, puppet string pulled journalists.

All NBA is probably the only award without any narrative attached to it which makes sense because it gets way less coverage than the above 3.

Norcaliblunt
05-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Lebron has never been some DPOY caliber player. That’s a joke. Media driven BS.

Norcaliblunt
05-26-2020, 06:38 PM
how does steve nash have double the MVPs of shaq?

Because AI stole one from Shaq and Nash stole one from Dirk or Duncan.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2020, 06:39 PM
Kobe fans dont like any media awards. Even though media clearly votes more carefully than players and coaches. Coaches are busy enough with their own team.

LeBron was far and away the best playoff defender in 2012, 2013, 2016.

Masterclasses those years

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2020, 06:42 PM

Duncan? What

tpols
05-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Exactly and both cases were narrative driven. especially Allen's.

Iverson is barely a plus level player in the long run. At least Nash was a beast for a little bit.

StrongLurk
05-26-2020, 07:04 PM
its kind of fitting that a steph fan would call a defensive award pointless

Is this how you see me? A Steph fan first and foremost? He's not even in my top five favorite players.

Maybe you are confused because I'm an actual objective poster about all NBA players.

SouBeachTalents
05-26-2020, 10:08 PM
shaq won defensive player of the year,i 2000,and won scoreing titles mvp season and the finals,not pointless
No he didn't

RogueBorg
05-27-2020, 02:20 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/47ecad89f7880c6e4f361653cf236640/tenor.gif?itemid=14044913

light
05-27-2020, 07:48 PM
No....not even close.

Tyson Chandler deserved it for the intensity he brought to an ailing Knicks team that lacked a defensive identity.

Marc Gasol held down the paint for the grind house Grizzlies, perhaps the best defensive team in the league.

The media campaigned for Lebron to win the DPOY heavy in 2012 and 2013 but it died down by the end of the season.

But the NBA's head coaches disagreed with you.

They supported LeBron as the best defender in the league in 2012 and relegated Tyson Chandler to 2nd Team.

https://s7.gifyu.com/images/LeBron-DPOY-2012.png

And in 2013 the head coaches heavily favored LeBron over Gasol.

https://s7.gifyu.com/images/LeBron-Gasol.png

I don't know - I think I lean towards the judgement of head coaches versus the media. That's just me though.

MrFonzworth
05-27-2020, 09:19 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/47ecad89f7880c6e4f361653cf236640/tenor.gif?itemid=14044913

:roll::roll::roll:

SATAN
05-27-2020, 09:29 PM

This. Look at the voting process for these things. Who gives a flying **** what the media parasites think? It's a shame fans still pay attention to them.

totti950
05-27-2020, 09:34 PM
I think its an important award, just like the other awards it gives proper recognition to the player. For example, Ben Wallace was a monster in the early 2000s and he deserved to be recognized with those awards.

BigShotBob
05-27-2020, 10:22 PM
But the NBA's head coaches disagreed with you.

They supported LeBron as the best defender in the league in 2012 and relegated Tyson Chandler to 2nd Team.

https://s7.gifyu.com/images/LeBron-DPOY-2012.png

And in 2013 the head coaches heavily favored LeBron over Gasol.

https://s7.gifyu.com/images/LeBron-Gasol.png

I don't know - I think I lean towards the judgement of head coaches versus the media. That's just me though.

If you really did then you'd know MJ > Lebron but you don't so let's be real you don't care about anyone's opinion.

Tyson Chandler and Marc Gasol deserved it because bigs anchor defenses, Lebron was a free safety but bigs have to guard their man straight up then rotate to block/deter shots at the rim. Their burden will always be higher than any perimeter player by design.

Unless you're MJ, Sidney Moncrief, or GP that is. A shame Lebron couldn't make the cut.