PDA

View Full Version : Which 90's bracket surprised you most ?

Duderonomy
05-30-2020, 04:43 PM
After watching the last dance I been researching the playoffs of the 90's I was too young to remember the first half. I was surprised the Celtics were contenders as late as 1992. The Sonics were an uneven team sometimes getting bounced early other times going deep like in 1993.

3ball
05-30-2020, 05:00 PM
After watching the last dance I been researching the playoffs of the 90's I was too young to remember the first half. I was surprised the Celtics were contenders as late as 1992. The Sonics were an uneven team sometimes getting bounced early other times going deep like in 1993.

the standard to make the Finals in the 90's was 2 perennial all-stars, or a 1-star team that was well-balanced - many teams met this standard, so many different teams made the Finals in the 90's

Otoh, the standard to make the Finals in recent years was having 3 perennial all-stars - only 2 teams had the necessary "big 3" (heat/spurs and cavs/warriors), so they made all the Finals.. it was a top heavy league where 2 super-teams achieved inflated net ratings by beating up all the regular teams

light
05-30-2020, 05:01 PM

The Celtics were never true contenders in 1992.

Look, after 1991 there were no other contenders in the East. Everyone assumed it was all Bulls until further notice. This was why the Knicks threat was so entertaining and fascinating. "John who? Who the hell is this guy John Starks? Wasn't he a walk-on?" That sort of thing.

LAmbruh
05-30-2020, 05:06 PM

Look, after 1991 there were no other contenders in the East. Everyone assumed it was all Bulls until further notice. This was why the Knicks threat was so entertaining and fascinating. "John who? Who the hell is this guy John Starks? Wasn't he a walk-on?" That sort of thing.

this

Stephonit
05-30-2020, 05:46 PM
the standard to make the Finals in the 90's was 2 perennial all-stars, or a 1-star team that was well-balanced - many teams met this standard, so many different teams made the Finals in the 90's

Otoh, the standard to make the Finals in recent years was having 3 perennial all-stars - only 2 teams had the necessary "big 3" (heat/spurs and cavs/warriors), so they made all the Finals.. it was a top heavy league where 2 super-teams achieved inflated net ratings by beating up all the regular teams

This is kind of revisionist. Ask 3ball and other people which is the superior trio: Curry, Klay and Dray or Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and which three would be called superior? Duncan, Parker, Manu or Hakeem, Drexler, Barkley? Payton, Kemp, Schrempf or Paul, Griffin, Jordan? On the other hand a similar 2-star team comparison sees something like Malone and Stockton vs. Durant and Westbrook. The 90s look more top-heavy to me.

Axe
05-30-2020, 06:05 PM
Top-heavy in a 'watered-down' era 🥴

Duderonomy
05-30-2020, 10:02 PM
Somehow the suns made it to the wcf in 1990
Run TMC beat the Spurs 3-1 as a 7th seed.
The Lakers were a 50 win team before Shaq arrived.

ELITEpower23
05-30-2020, 10:05 PM

Went from grocery bagging to the NBA. MJs greatest adversary.