PDA

View Full Version : So the NBA is voting on a proposed 22 team playoff format tomorrow.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 05:58 AM
The NBA is reportedly leaning toward a 22-team playoff format in which the No. 8 seed in each conference will be decided by a play-in tournament. Teams currently within six games of the No. 8 seed in their respective conference will be invited to resume the season, a group that includes the Pelicans, Blazers, Spurs, Kings, Suns and Wizards, per Wojnarowski. The format of the playoffs isn't the only alteration to the 2020 postseason. All teams that return to play will be located in Orlando, with the rest of the 2019-20 season held at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. No fans will be permitted at games, and teams will likely have to bring a reduced number of employees to Orlando.

^
Woj

As a general supporter of chaos I admit I am pleased. I just want the Pelicans to win the play in and face the Lakers in the first round. It would almost make an october 12th final game worth it(thats the current date of a potential finals game 7).

Phoenix
06-03-2020, 06:26 AM
This seems like a good compromise. Its gonna be interesting watching games played on neutral ground. Home court and the energy players get from the fans is a big part of the game. Lebron and Zion in the first round would be box office.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 06:44 AM
I wonder if they try anything like some soccer teams did to get fan energy/the feel of fans. I saw cardboard fans. Ive heard of piping in crowd noise.

It would look weird with no fans actually there but you know ESPN and TNT have been up night thinking about how to spice it up. TNT I bet goes with a live full panel of all their guys talking while watching. Cant just have like Reggie and Harlan yelling about gravity being sucked out of the building in dead silence. Maybe live stream audio from bars with social distanced fans? I was in a place that must have had 100 people in it yesterday at dinner. Just spread out.

Invite super fans to places at half capacity and keep them in a corner of the screen with a display of commentators and such with audio guys deciding who to go to and how to blend it? Make it sound like watching a game in a bar.

I just dont want 3 hours of shoes on hardwood with highly edited player chatter they would have to omit cursing from.

Im Still Ballin
06-03-2020, 06:49 AM
This is going to make for one hell of a documentary.

FultzNationRISE
06-03-2020, 06:55 AM
100% real talk, Lakers should get an automatic first round bye due to the amount of work Lebron has put in as a civil rights leader the past few weeks.

The NBA needs to be bigger than basketball.

I could even be convinced a bye thru the first two rounds is reasonable.

It’s time for the league to step up. Wokeness should be applauded. Speaking out for justice should be rewarded.

To be honest, Lebron should be crowned NBA Champion and the playoffs should be scrapped altogether.

FultzNationRISE
06-03-2020, 07:00 AM
I wouldnt feel comfortable calling the entire Lakers team NBA Champions without an actual playoff taking place.

But I would understand if an exception was made specifically for LeMLK.

In terms of NBA champions:

2014 - San Antonio Spurs
15 - Golden State Warriors
16 - Cleveland Cavaliers
17, 18 - Golden State Warriors
19 - Toronto Raptors
20 - Lebron James

MrFonzworth
06-03-2020, 07:02 AM
I wouldnt feel comfortable calling the entire Lakers team NBA Champions without an actual playoff taking place.

But I would understand if an exception was made specifically for LeMLK.

In terms of NBA champions:

2014 - San Antonio Spurs
15 - Golden State Warriors
16 - Cleveland Cavaliers
17, 18 - Golden State Warriors
19 - Toronto Raptors
20 - Lebron James

We get it. You want to blow LeBurrito

FultzNationRISE
06-03-2020, 07:03 AM
We get it. You want to blow LeBurrito

Huh? What do you mean?

There’s no agenda here.

I’m a neutral and objective fan of basketball :kobe:

Phoenix
06-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Huh? What do you mean?

There’s no agenda here.

I’m a neutral and objective fan of basketball :kobe:

That and you wanting to blow Lebron aren't mutually exclusive. Too many of your posts are bit too suspect.

Phoenix
06-03-2020, 08:50 AM
I wonder if they try anything like some soccer teams did to get fan energy/the feel of fans. I saw cardboard fans. Ive heard of piping in crowd noise.

It would look weird with no fans actually there but you know ESPN and TNT have been up night thinking about how to spice it up. TNT I bet goes with a live full panel of all their guys talking while watching. Cant just have like Reggie and Harlan yelling about gravity being sucked out of the building in dead silence. Maybe live stream audio from bars with social distanced fans? I was in a place that must have had 100 people in it yesterday at dinner. Just spread out.

Invite super fans to places at half capacity and keep them in a corner of the screen with a display of commentators and such with audio guys deciding who to go to and how to blend it? Make it sound like watching a game in a bar.

I just dont want 3 hours of shoes on hardwood with highly edited player chatter they would have to omit cursing from.

I'm just not sure how you can recreate natural human energy and presence in a manner that comes close to the real thing. From a presentation aspect on TV maybe its passable but whatever they do is gonna be weird as fukk for the players in the flesh I imagine.

RogueBorg
06-03-2020, 08:52 AM
100% real talk, Lakers should get an automatic first round bye due to the amount of work Lebron has put in as a civil rights leader the past few weeks.

Once again LeBron and his cronies don't want to compete only want to take the easy road. Maybe they should just give him the chip every year til the day he dies.

RogueBorg
06-03-2020, 08:58 AM
To be honest, Lebron should be crowned NBA Champion and the playoffs should be scrapped altogether.

Yeah, and maybe next year we can get Giannis and Kahwi and Durant and Curry and Klay and all the best players to join the Lakers, fold the other 29 teams in the league and just crown Los Angeles champions every year.

Does anyone want to compete anymore?

Such a soft era

86Celtics
06-03-2020, 09:14 AM
I'm just not sure how you can recreate natural human energy and presence in a manner that comes close to the real thing. From a presentation aspect on TV maybe its passable but whatever they do is gonna be weird as fukk for the players in the flesh I imagine.

You can't. Over the years I've watched plenty of soccer and basketball games played in front of empty stands. It sucks but you get used to it.

Shogon
06-03-2020, 09:16 AM
This whole thing is completely asinine. While I want basketball back, the 2020 season ended almost 3 months ago. None of the teams that come back are going to be the exact same as they were before. Some will be better than they were, some will be worse... for MULTIPLE reasons. The whole thing is just stupid. Just call it and get ready for next season.

What happens if a couple of players contract it again? Which they will, by the way... Shut down the season again? Stupid.

Clippersfan86
06-03-2020, 11:40 AM
At least Kawhi shouldn't miss another game due to load management. Btw details on the Disney situation from Keith Smith.

"Per Disney sources, Walt Disney World is preparing to have at least 2000 rooms available for the NBA. That number is based on roughly 70 people per team x 22 teams + extras. Per team # is potentially a bit high, but covers for additional non-team personnel (ie. media) if allowed."

ArbitraryWater
06-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Garbage.

1st seeds can now play tougher opponents than 2nd seeds

And what rest of the season? How many games?

Hakkim90cc
06-03-2020, 11:49 AM
This whole thing is completely asinine. While I want basketball back, the 2020 season ended almost 3 months ago. None of the teams that come back are going to be the exact same as they were before. Some will be better than they were, some will be worse... for MULTIPLE reasons. The whole thing is just stupid. Just call it and get ready for next season.

What happens if a couple of players contract it again? Which they will, by the way... Shut down the season again? Stupid.

I feel the same way just cancel it try again next season

What if a player gets diagnosed with the virus in the middle of the playoffs. From july to october that's a long ass time to keep everyone under control.

Walk on Water
06-03-2020, 12:17 PM

End of July is almost 2 months away still so by the time they state up again they will have had nearly a 5 month layoff which is a full offseason. And by the time they finish, the next season would have been just about ready to get started.

So are we gonna shorten next season? Or will the nba be pushed back every year now?

You’re right. The season has been over. If they got started in a few weeks then maybe but coming back after 5 months is silly. And if someone gets the virus they they push it back again?

SouBeachTalents
06-03-2020, 12:24 PM
I'm not gonna say no to basketball, but I honestly don't see how they realistically keep what's gonna be in the vicinity of 600 people from contracting the virus. All it's gonna take is 1 player to catch it, play in a game, and that shit is gonna spread like wildfire

Clippersfan86
06-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Per Disney sources, expectation is that NBA personnel will arrive at Walt Disney World in early-July to assist with setup. Team personnel (players, coaches, trainers, etc) are expected to arrive in mid-July. There will be rigorous safety protocols in place for NBA & Disney Cast.

-Keith Smith

I'm so confused. If they can set up in 2 weeks for NBA players then why the F are we waiting another two months???? Start training camps in two weeks!

tpols
06-03-2020, 01:18 PM

just admit you're scared LA is going to lose.

this layoff will be better for the undercards than the top dogs.

Lebron23
06-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Team LeBron's never been defeated in the first round.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 01:37 PM

I could see teams like both of those in LA doing better than teams that win off chemistry like the Bucks or Nuggets. You can talent your way through the chaos of everyone is off their timing.

tpols
06-03-2020, 01:53 PM
I could see teams like both of those in LA doing better than teams that win off chemistry like the Bucks or Nuggets. You can talent your way through the chaos of everyone is off their timing.

true, every team probably feels like they have a puncher's chance now.

the momentum from a long season of dominance is gone. no crowd, no hype to fight. they can just ball free.

jayfan
06-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Here's my question-

If the Suns and Wizard go out and tank 8 games for 8 losses, will they improve their draft lottery position?

Roundball_Rock
06-03-2020, 02:28 PM
It should be 11 teams from each conference versus adding 5 WC teams and only the Wizards from the East.

ArbitraryWater
06-03-2020, 02:33 PM
It should be 11 teams from each conference versus adding 5 WC teams and only the Wizards from the East.

but why would teams way out of the playoffs get a chance to make them in such a cop-out way

dazzer87
06-03-2020, 02:36 PM
3-6 mafia already crying about this format............:lol.

jayfan
06-03-2020, 02:38 PM
but why would teams way out of the playoffs get a chance to make them in such a cop-out way

Agree. Suns & Wiz have no business being in this thing.

Roundball_Rock
06-03-2020, 03:25 PM

So I can get the Bulls into the playoffs. :lol On a serious note, though, how does the NBA draw the line? The Wizards were 1.5 games ahead of Charlotte and 2.5 ahead of the Bulls. Why do they Wizards make the cutoff and not the Hornets, for example? Meanwhile basically the entire West makes it.

Phoenix
06-03-2020, 03:32 PM
Anyone else thinking a (at least small) reason for this 8th seed playoff is the NBA really trying to get Zion in there? I doubt they care about any of the potential 8th seeds other than the Pelicans. Not saying the NBA world in terms of how to proceed centers around him, but I wonder if it was at least one of the 'back of mind' reasons.

MrFonzworth
06-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Anyone else thinking a (at least small) reason for this 8th seed playoff is the NBA really trying to get Zion in there? I doubt they care about any of the potential 8th seeds other than the Pelicans. Not saying the NBA world in terms of how to proceed centers around him, but I wonder if it was at least one of the 'back of mind' reasons.

I think so. They really wanted the LeBron vs Zion matchup. This is Silver thinking ahead.

r0drig0lac
06-03-2020, 04:19 PM
I think so. They really wanted the LeBron vs Zion matchup. This is Silver thinking ahead.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY/giphy.gif

Norcaliblunt
06-03-2020, 04:37 PM
A 30 team sudden death elimination tournament seeded by present standings is the only way to go. That’s chaos that’s cool.