PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know the season will continue I need all my "Asterisk" posters on record.

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 12:41 PM
For now we will ignore that an asterisk doesnt necessarily mean something is worse...just that the person listing things wants to add more information.

Lets get to what matters....

If you are one of the "*" guys....lets hear it right now. Lets not hear it after you see how it plays out. It cant depend on who wins or how. Its a ****ed up season that has no results you acknowledge or it isnt. If you are team asterisk and nothing counts....none of the following should come out of your mouth in the future:

"Lol...Harden goes ghost...AGAIN"

"Where do you rank Leonard with 3 finals MVPs?"

"2 MVPS and a ring? Giannis top 20?"

"4 modern rings 4 modern mvps....goat?"

"Harden has a ring now.....where you at haters?"

"3/10"

"Jokic 2020 title run > Hakeem in 94?"

"Durant returns to win a ring with no regular season to prepare and 2 key players out with dat Rona. GOAT ring?"

None of it. If it doesnt count it doesnt count. Its just an exhibition. A curiosity. Dont come in here saying it counts when who you want to win wins.

It either proves something or its a circus we should take nothing from.

Id like to know where you stand now so when I mock you for it we both know you pulled the flip flop.

tpols
06-03-2020, 12:43 PM
i will have to see how it plays out... if kawhi doesnt win im declaring it a *.

whoever wins it's going to be real anticlimatic with no fans though and no homecourts. id imagine the high of winning a ring is dependant on the soaring crowd too.

Shogon
06-03-2020, 12:44 PM
I don't care if the guy/team I root for wins or not, it's an asterisk season no doubt. They've been off for 3 ****ing months.

The clown above me... cognitive dissonance... lol... what a ****ing rancid asshole.

Wally450
06-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Its like a whole new season.

Carbine
06-03-2020, 12:52 PM
I'm 100 percent asterisk. No fans, no thank you.

No homecourt advantage either.

SouBeachTalents
06-03-2020, 01:01 PM
They'd still have to go through the playoffs, which counts for something, and it's not like any team has gained an advantage through any of this. But playing in Disney, no fans, after a FIVE month layoff aka a whole offseason, it's gonna be impossible for that shit not to stick out like a sore thumb when discussing this title.

I think if a previous champ like LeBron or Kawhi wins they can get a slightly bigger benefit of the doubt since they've already won, on multiple occasions. But if this hypothetically ends up being the only title that someone like Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Harden/Westbrook ever win, you can't tell me that the unparalleled circumstances that this occurred under won't cast a huge shadow of doubt on the validity of this title.

But regardless of who wins, this is going to be the least credited title in league history

tpols
06-03-2020, 01:16 PM
I don't care if the guy/team I root for wins or not, it's an asterisk season no doubt. They've been off for 3 ****ing months.

The clown above me... cognitive dissonance... lol... what a ****ing rancid asshole.

why are you always so angry broseph?

Cheer up.

I dont think ive EVER seen you in a good mood. :lol

r0drig0lac
06-03-2020, 01:32 PM

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/whatever.png

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 01:33 PM
They'd still have to go through the playoffs, which counts for something, and it's not like any team has gained an advantage through any of this. But playing in Disney, no fans, after a FIVE month layoff aka a whole offseason, it's gonna be impossible for that shit not to stick out like a sore thumb when discussing this title.

I think if a previous champ like LeBron or Kawhi wins they can get a slightly bigger benefit of the doubt since they've already won, on multiple occasions. But if this hypothetically ends up being the only title that someone like Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Harden/Westbrook ever win, you can't tell me that the unparalleled circumstances that this occurred under won't cast a huge shadow of doubt on the validity of this title.

But regardless of who wins, this is going to be the least credited title in league history

I look at it another way. I don’t see rings as being in competition with other rings. This years champ can’t play the 82 Lakers. They play the 2020 NBA. A ring is about coming out on top with everyone else facing the same set of obstacles.....or at least the same potential ones.

I leave the ring ranking for our trolls for the most part. Team comparison can be fun but I don’t feel a need to rank players by supposed ring “strength” and I never see the people who do use it as anything but backup for notions they would support no matter what.

There are more and less impressive runs if you insist on boiling down the work of 12-20 people to one persons individual glory but the rings themselves are just a count of how many times you beat everyone in your way.

You can’t add or subtract anything to that. Just put whatever spin on it you need to for the narrative your want pushed. In the end none of it matters. We will all be forgotten haters from the moment while history records the official record.

Nobody gives a shit that the first few super bowls were a farce and the nfl champion faced better teams to win than when they played the afl winner in the “big game”. We act like the nfl champions didn’t count till some guy in Kansas City called the first nfl/afl post season exhibition a “super bowl”.

So Aikman has 3 Super Bowls and Bart Starr only has 2 even though the many nfl titles he won before that were much harder to get than beating a shit afl team by like 25 to win a made up title after the season.

Know what history asks? Who won the most Super Bowls.

The public doesn’t care for your context or mine. Whoever wins this is gonna get the same ring every other champ got. I’m just looking forward to the anger that generates.

ThatCoolKid
06-03-2020, 01:42 PM
If Lebron can lead this Lakers squad to a win in the coronavirus season against a stacked Clippers/Bucks teams? That's some GOAT shit right there.

Shogon
06-03-2020, 01:47 PM
I look at it another way. I don’t see rings as being in competition with other rings. This years champ can’t play the 82 Lakers. They play the 2020 NBA. A ring is about coming out on top with everyone else facing the same set of obstacles.....or at least the same potential ones.

I leave the ring ranking for our trolls for the most part. Team comparison can be fun but I don’t feel a need to rank players by supposed ring “strength” and I never see the people who do use it as anything but backup for notions they would support no matter what.

There are more and less impressive runs if you insist on boiling down the work of 12-20 people to one persons individual glory but the rings themselves are just a count of how many times you beat everyone in your way.

You can’t add or subtract anything to that. Just put whatever spin on it you need to for the narrative your want pushed. In the end none of it matters. We will all be forgotten haters from the moment while history records the official record.

Nobody gives a shit that the first few super bowls were a farce and the nfl champion faced better teams to win than when they played the afl winner in the “big game”. We act like the nfl champions didn’t count till some guy in Kansas City called the first nfl/afl post season exhibition a “super bowl”.

So Aikman has 3 Super Bowls and Bart Starr only has 2 even though the many nfl titles he won before that were much harder to get than beating a shit afl team by like 25 to win a made up title after the season.

Know what history asks? Who won the most Super Bowls.

The public doesn’t care for your context or mine. Whoever wins this is gonna get the same ring every other champ got. I’m just looking forward to the anger that generates.

What you're saying has merit but at the same time it's bullshit because you're completely discounting the ability to remain healthy enough to win it all... not to mention, even if a team stays perfectly healthy throughout an entire season, they WILL be a different team on game 82 than they were at game 1. That's just the nature of life... especially when you throw in team dynamics. Momentum and cohesion is built through a season. Some teams are able to run it from beginning to end as the best team but that's not always the case.

Other teams are very slow out of the gate and end incredibly strong.

We've hit the reset button and these teams will not be the same teams they were 3 months ago. This season is clearly an asterisk regardless of who wins.

Let me put this an entirely different way... would you be ok with the NBA only playing for a month or two and then crowning a champion? Imagine the season debuting at the end of October and being wrapped up by Christmas Day. That's an asterisk. No if's and's or but's. I don't want to hear it from anyone regardless if the team you root for wins or loses. Asterisk. Period.

deathawaitu
06-03-2020, 01:54 PM
* asterisk year just like i have 2012 as an *Asterisk as well

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Would I be ok with it or would I say the team that won....won?

Those are different things.

If you win the title you win it. How hard I feel it was doesn’t matter. You compete against other teams....not teams in other circumstances.

Youre the champion of the situation you and everyone else played during. Like everyone always is.

warriorfan
06-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Big time *

2012 levels

ThatCoolKid
06-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Big time *

2012 levels

Your team has no shot - you're just mad that the Lebron fam is winning while you are irrelevant :lol

Kblaze8855
06-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Big time *

2012 levels

Certainly easier for people who support teams that can’t possibly win. I don’t know if I ever heard a fan acknowledge that his teams ring is less than others.

Shogon
06-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Oh if anything the Clippers probably stand the most to gain... two of the unhealthiest star players getting 3 months off? Yeah... lol... they easily have the most to gain.

But I digress, it really doesn't matter who wins or loses... this is a sub standard title, period.

tpols
06-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Oh if anything the Clippers probably stand the most to gain... two of the unhealthiest star players getting 3 months off? Yeah... lol... they easily have the most to gain.

But I digress, it really doesn't matter who wins or loses... this is a sub standard title, period.

Anthony Davis gets hurt even more than PG or Kawhi.

he's notorious for his amount of injuries to just about every body part, anyone whose ever had him in fantasy knows.

Shogon
06-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Anthony Davis gets hurt even more than PG or Kawhi.

he's notorious for his amount of injuries to just about every body part, anyone whose ever had him in fantasy knows.

Kawhi has a degenerative condition and has been having to take off every three or four games off all year but AD is less healthy? Is that a joke?

PG has missed 22 game this year. Kawhi has missed 13. Anthony Davis has missed 8.

warriorfan
06-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Certainly easier for people who support teams that can’t possibly win. I don’t know if I ever heard a fan acknowledge that his teams ring is less than others.

Definitely. It’s impossible to say for sure but even if the Warriors were in it I think I would still say the same. It’s a very different situation and professional sports usually is big on tradition and consistency, even though we have seen a bit of shying away from that in recent years across all sports, mainly due to speculated financial gain.

jayfan
06-03-2020, 02:16 PM
i will have to see how it plays out... if kawhi doesnt win im declaring it a *.

whoever wins it's going to be real anticlimatic with no fans though and no homecourts. id imagine the high of winning a ring is dependant on the soaring crowd too.

No offense, but any true competitive athlete would laugh at that notion. The high of winning is dependent on winning. Nothing more.

ThatCoolKid
06-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Let's be real - there is no such thing as an asterik title. Winning is winning. Asteriks are for losers whose worldview depends on sports results to the point they need to alter reality for their ego to survive.

r0drig0lac
06-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Let's be real - there is no such thing as an asterik title. Winning is winning. Asteriks are for losers whose worldview depends on sports results to the point they need to alter reality for their ego to survive.
this

3ball
06-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Y'all know my stance

Asterisk regardless of who wins... Equivalent to a gold medal or more along those lines.. maybe an NCAA championship

Otoh, the media's stance is always to diminish anything not lebron, like Kawhi's ring last year... So it will be called a goat ring by the media if lebron wins and nothing if anyone else wins

Stanley Kobrick
06-03-2020, 02:45 PM
great for basketball and insidehoops users :cheers:

Phoenix
06-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Its not going to carry the weight of a normal title but I'm stopping short of saying asterisk. Ultimately everyone is facing the same uphill battle. Its kind of a Dominic Toretto 'winning is winning' in the end.

If anything, the fact that there is no inherit home court advantage could make for some interest results that may not happen if things were normal.

Smoke117
06-03-2020, 03:12 PM
We don't know that it's continuing for sure. This whole idea they have is built with a house of cards that can fall at any moment. None of this matters until it actually does start back up.

SouBeachTalents
06-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Y'all know my stance

Asterisk regardless of who wins... Equivalent to a gold medal or more along those lines.. maybe an NCAA championship

Otoh, the media's stance is always to diminish anything not lebron, like Kawhi's ring last year... So it will be called a goat ring by the media if lebron wins and nothing if anyone else wins
3ball upon hearing today's news

https://media.giphy.com/media/LRVnPYqM8DLag/giphy.gif

3ball
06-03-2020, 03:17 PM
Its not going to carry the weight of a normal title but I'm stopping short of saying asterisk. Ultimately everyone is facing the same uphill battle. Its kind of a Dominic Toretto 'winning is winning' in the end.

If anything, the fact that there is no inherit home court advantage could make for some interest results that may not happen if things were normal.

Role players might suffer because their more boring roles need the crowd

Otoh, the stars might benefit while executing their maneuvers without the crowd

LAmbruh
06-03-2020, 03:19 PM

get your buckets out boys

the flood gates have opened :oldlol:

Manny98
06-03-2020, 03:22 PM
If LeBron wins without playing a single home court game whilst coming out of a killer virus pandemic it would easily be the greatest ring ever

It would literally put him a tier above GOAT he would have entered godhood

LAmbruh
06-03-2020, 03:23 PM
great for Lebron, easily the best pickup game players of all time w/o crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j71ZQuRuFg

LAmbruh
06-03-2020, 03:25 PM
If LeBron wins without playing a single home court game whilst coming out of a killer virus pandemic it would easily be the greatest ring ever

It would literally put him a tier above GOAT he would have entered godhood

Carry the burden of Kobe, Floyd, Sloan, Stern, Corona, etc, etc. So much weight

The hardest road

light
06-03-2020, 04:39 PM
There's only an asterisk if your team loses. So an asterisk cannot be decided right now.

But if my team loses then this fan-less Disney tournament idea is totally bogus, stupid and doesn't count at all.

Norcaliblunt
06-03-2020, 04:43 PM
This whole thing will be on some WWE shit. They are finalizing the scripts right now.

fourkicks44
06-03-2020, 04:48 PM
It's an asterisk without a doubt, but as Kblaze said in the OP, the point is to highlight added information.

I look at it like a glass half full.

While it is not a traditional ring, it is a chance for a team to win something unique that no other team has done before or will again....

Weird, Disney World, play in, bubble championship.

It's one of a kind, never to be repeated achievement.

Norcaliblunt
06-03-2020, 04:57 PM
It’s only cool if all 30 teams are included and it is a sudden death elimination tournament. The Corona Cup. Corona could sponsor it.

LoneyROY7
06-03-2020, 05:03 PM
Asterisks are reserved for actual cheating.

All playoff teams have a level playing field respective to their seed. Let the games begin.

sdot_thadon
06-03-2020, 05:06 PM
I'm not an asterisk guy as it is, I believe in context of course but once you apply an asterisk you can't just stop at one thing, you gotta slap that sticker on any perceived inequality in the era or year right? And who reallly wants to do that aside from a few absolute psychos here?

That said I can get on board with an asterisk only giving detail. We understand given the situation something wacky can happen, so it is what it is. They are all playing by the same rules to compete for this title and have all endured the same conditions and rest/off period. All things equal, play ball. 1st team to chemistry wins.....

ralph_i_el
06-03-2020, 05:08 PM
I don't know what is going to happen injury wise. If a ton of key players get hurt, it's going to be mentioned alongside this championship.

Axe
06-03-2020, 07:04 PM
I'm rooting for kd and kyrie, as well as the whole nets to win the championship this season.

dbugz
06-03-2020, 07:10 PM
*Celtics winning the title this year.

I'll take that.

Mask the Embiid
06-03-2020, 07:23 PM
I'll tell you if it's an asterisk after i see who wins the championship and who they beat in the Finals

example lebron beating the bucks in the finals = no asterisk

StrongLurk
06-03-2020, 07:32 PM
I'm the biggest "this season is an asterisk" person on this board and have made multiple threads stating as such.

Just wait until a player or two on the same team catch Covid and they have to quarantine or even have the whole team forfeit games.

Hell, we didn't even have KD this whole year and the Warriors had to tank once Steph got injured.

This year is like 1994 when MJ retired, except worse.

Roundball_Rock
06-03-2020, 09:01 PM
They'd still have to go through the playoffs, which counts for something, and it's not like any team has gained an advantage through any of this.

If anything the best teams have lost an advantage via the loss of home court advantage.

I believe the playoffs are legit and will count. People sometimes bring the asterisk up for 99' and 12' but the best team clearly won. The only fluky thing that happened those years was the 8 seed Knicks making the finals (there also was the Rose injury but that happens more often, as we saw last year). All the other contenders were the usual suspects (Heat, Celtics, Thunder, Spurs made the conference finals in 12' and in 99' it was the Spurs, Blazers, Pacers, Knicks).

LAmbruh
06-03-2020, 09:06 PM
If anything the best teams have lost an advantage via the loss of home court advantage.

I believe the playoffs are legit and will count. People sometimes bring the asterisk up for 99' and 12' but the best team clearly won. The only fluky thing that happened those years was the 8 seed Knicks making the finals (there also was the Rose injury but that happens more often, as we saw last year). All the other contenders were the usual suspects (Heat, Celtics, Thunder, Spurs made the conference finals in 12' and in 99' it was the Spurs, Blazers, Pacers, Knicks).this

Rico2016
06-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Your team has no shot - you're just mad that the Lebron fam is winning while you are irrelevant :lol

Goodness what an ether

Rico2016
06-03-2020, 09:11 PM

That boy would disappear from ISH if LBJ won another modern zone defense era FMVP

BasedTom
06-04-2020, 12:34 AM
If a team or player I don't like wins, it's an asterisk.
If a team or player I like wins, it's completely legitimate and in fact even more impressive than a regular year because of all the adversity they had to face.

Simple as.

Derka
06-04-2020, 08:39 AM
This year shouldn't even reward rings and banners. Whoever wins, my Celtics included, should get a trophy for winning the 2020 NBA Finals Tourney.

Phoenix
06-04-2020, 09:22 AM

I believe the playoffs are legit and will count. People sometimes bring the asterisk up for 99' and 12' but the best team clearly won. The only fluky thing that happened those years was the 8 seed Knicks making the finals (there also was the Rose injury but that happens more often, as we saw last year). All the other contenders were the usual suspects (Heat, Celtics, Thunder, Spurs made the conference finals in 12' and in 99' it was the Spurs, Blazers, Pacers, Knicks).

Yep. This is why it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you end up with an unexpected champion or at least one 'from out of left field' finals contender. There's a chance you'll see a '99 Knicks' Cinderella situation.

ImKobe
06-04-2020, 09:29 AM

Teams were playing B2B2Bs and it certainly didn't help the older players, which is why OKC got through the Spurs and the Celtics fell short of beating the Heat.

Horatio33
06-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Y'all know my stance

Your stance is only the way it is because you are a Jordan fan. You have no integrity.

eliteballer
06-04-2020, 03:28 PM
Clearly an asterisk. A huge break in the season and an overall playoff situation and structure never done before, and no hostile road environments to deal with.

Whoah10115
06-04-2020, 09:53 PM
The 99 season is weird, but as was said l earlier they were all playing level field.

11-12...that was a great season. Surprised OKC beat the Spurs but they did. People are just hating.

This season is different. 4 months without playing...that's hard.

Kblaze8855
07-24-2020, 06:43 AM
Seems they worked it out. It’s eerie and hard to enjoy as much....but it’s back.

Someone is getting a ring out of this mess.

NBAGOAT
07-24-2020, 08:37 AM
definitely not the type to assign asterisks. a title where every team is dealing with the same shit is still fair. yea some teams benefit from the time off/no home games more than others but that type of stuff happens other years to a lesser extent too.

I dont compare players based on just rings anyway and they've played enough games for this year to be significant at the lvl of 99 or 12. It will matter on say like Giannis' career resume. I will throw in a grain of salt when discussing a title team vs other great all time teams. There's just a higher chance of random upsets during the "gas leak" year.

Bronbron23
07-24-2020, 09:29 AM
For now we will ignore that an asterisk doesnt necessarily mean something is worse...just that the person listing things wants to add more information.

Lets get to what matters....

If you are one of the "*" guys....lets hear it right now. Lets not hear it after you see how it plays out. It cant depend on who wins or how. Its a ****ed up season that has no results you acknowledge or it isnt. If you are team asterisk and nothing counts....none of the following should come out of your mouth in the future:

"Lol...Harden goes ghost...AGAIN"

"Where do you rank Leonard with 3 finals MVPs?"

"2 MVPS and a ring? Giannis top 20?"

"4 modern rings 4 modern mvps....goat?"

"Harden has a ring now.....where you at haters?"

"3/10"

"Durant returns to win a ring with no regular season to prepare and 2 key players out with dat Rona. GOAT ring?"

None of it. If it doesnt count it doesnt count. Its just an exhibition. A curiosity. Dont come in here saying it counts when who you want to win wins.

It either proves something or its a circus we should take nothing from.

Id like to know where you stand now so when I mock you for it we both know you pulled the flip flop.

Everyone is playing in the same conditions so time off and no fans is no excuse. I could see there being and asterisk if someone major goes out due to coronavirus or injury but other than that its all fair

StrongLurk
07-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Everyone is playing in the same conditions so time off and no fans is no excuse. I could see there being and asterisk if someone major goes out due to coronavirus or injury but other than that its all fair

Lol this season is a huge asterisk. Hell, we didn't even have the Warriors this year due to injuries again, and Kevin Durant missed the entire season. I'll actually feel a little bad for Kawhi if the Clips win even though they are the favorites since he'll have ANOTHER asterisk ring. The asterisk fallout from the Warriors playoffs/finals last year still reverberated through this entire year.

Now the Covid mess? Come on. We don't even know if they'll even be able to finish the year yet.

Bronbron23
07-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Lol this season is a huge asterisk. Hell, we didn't even have the Warriors this year due to injuries again, and Kevin Durant missed the entire season. I'll actually feel a little bad for Kawhi if the Clips win even though they are the favorites since he'll have ANOTHER asterisk ring. The asterisk fallout from the Warriors playoffs/finals last year still reverberated through this entire year.

Now the Covid mess? Come on. We don't even know if they'll even be able to finish the year yet.

Pretty sure lakers are the favorites and lol at the warriors. They were gonna make the playoffs if healthy but they weren't gonna win. Even with a great bench and in their primes they only had 1 chip and that was an actual asterisk although you conveniently probably dont think so. Now they'll have a slightly worse version of steph and klay. A significantly worse version of Draymond and a way worse bench. Your in a dream land if you think they were gonna win although i do think they would of done well and made things more exciting.

Tobio-Star
07-24-2020, 11:12 AM
We all know that once LeBron wins his 4th ring, nobody will even remember this asterisk thing (just like some like to forget that KD and Currys last 2 rings dont count since they were playing on an unfair team)

It'll simply be the 1st of LeBron's next 3 rings :rockon:

AlternativeAcc.
07-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Asterisks rings only exist when significant injuries come into play. 2015 Warriors and 2019 Raptors are asterisk/worthless rings, and everyone knows it

This COVID year otoh is an even playing field like any other year.. actually more of an even field than ever with no home court. If anything, top seeds like the Lakers are at more of a disadvantage than they should be, so if a top seed wins he ring it counts slightly more

it's the opposite of an asterisk for top tier teams this season. There is simply no other way to look at it.

Competition is never perfect in any sport... random elements will always exist.

Stanley Kobrick
07-24-2020, 05:00 PM
this is the most raw form of professional basketball we may ever see. evert team is on a even playing field, no home court, all playing in the same destination AAU style. everyone will be watching, who will have the shoulders to carry the burden we will see

AlternativeAcc.
07-24-2020, 05:06 PM
this is the most raw form of professional basketball we may ever see. evert team is on a even playing field, no home court, all playing in the same destination AAU style. everyone will be watching, who will have the shoulders to carry the burden we will see

Cheers 'big dick Stanley' :cheers:

Stanley Kobrick
07-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Cheers 'big dick Stanley' :cheers:
:cheers:

KD7
07-24-2020, 05:22 PM
I don't believe in asterisks period

With enough mental gymnastics, you could put an asterisk on every championship that's ever been won

AussieSteve
07-24-2020, 07:16 PM
No asterisk for me.

All teams have the same circumstamces. To win the title you still have to win the same number of playoff games.

Most teams will also have close to a fully healthy roster entering the playoffs, which is usually not the case. In some sense this makes things fairer than most seasons.

DoctorP
07-24-2020, 07:21 PM
this is a low IQ post by OP.

An asterisk means what it means... there were anomalies to the usual standard. Everything else is nonsense and not very entertaining nonsense.

Whoah10115
07-24-2020, 09:13 PM
This is an especially strange scenario.

I feel Giannis will stay in Milwaukee and they'll win a few. So now not a bad time.

The Nuggets and OKC are sleepers for me. Chris Paul should get one.

Duderonomy
07-24-2020, 09:51 PM
With no crowds, home court advantage, and flawed tests that could keep key players out, the title will mean less than lockout seasons

Bronbron23
07-24-2020, 10:23 PM
With no crowds, home court advantage, and flawed tests that could keep key players out, the title will mean less than lockout seasons

Its a 2 man race for the most part. Whatever LA team wins the western conference finals will win it all. So If anything this makes it less of an asterisk because if there were fans lakers were gonna have the unfair advantage because every game would have a home game atmosphere because they're in the same building and the majority of the fans would be lakers fans.

So as long as theres no major players that are missing it will be a pretty fair test

Axe
07-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Asterisks rings only exist when significant injuries come into play. 2015 Warriors and 2019 Raptors are asterisk/worthless rings, and everyone knows it

Warriors encountered opponent injury woes otw to their last two championships as well (dirty play by zaza on kawhi in 2017 wcf game 1 and cp3 down with hamstring injury in 2018 wcf game 5).

So does this mean their last two rings are "asterisked"?

Cleverness
07-25-2020, 01:31 AM
2020 BLM Summer League Exhibition

Sponsored by China

SATAN
07-25-2020, 05:24 AM
Don't watch it then. Don't support the NBA. :facepalm

ImKobe
07-25-2020, 08:36 AM

That's what it is. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the games or crown a champion, but we'll always bring up the unique circumstances when comparing this championship to others. That's what an asterisk is.

warriorfan
07-25-2020, 10:30 AM
2020 BLM Summer League Exhibition

Sponsored by China

:roll:

And1AllDay
09-13-2020, 07:39 PM
I'm the biggest "this season is an asterisk" person on this board and have made multiple threads stating as such.

Just wait until a player or two on the same team catch Covid and they have to quarantine or even have the whole team forfeit games.

Hell, we didn't even have KD this whole year and the Warriors had to tank once Steph got injured.

This year is like 1994 when MJ retired, except worse.

But now AD is Kareem because of asterisk games? :oldlol: Come on now bruh

tontoz
09-13-2020, 09:11 PM
The asterisk talk is a bunch of nonsense.

ELITEpower23
09-13-2020, 09:14 PM
The asterisk talk is a bunch of nonsense.

Agree to agree.

The "Is this an Asterisk" season flowchart is easy as 1 - 2 -3

1. Are you a Warriors Fan?

Yes === YES ITS AN ASTERISKS SEASON

No === Go to Question #2.

-----

2. Are you a LeBron Hater?

Yes === YES ITS AN ASTERISK SEASON

No === Go to Question #3.

-----

3. Are you retarded?

No === NO ITS NOT AN ASTERISK SEASON

AlternativeAcc.
09-19-2020, 03:17 AM

This COVID year otoh is an even playing field like any other year.. actually more of an even field than ever with no home court. If anything, top seeds like the Lakers are at more of a disadvantage than they should be, so if a top seed wins he ring it counts slightly more

it's the opposite of an asterisk for top tier teams this season. There is simply no other way to look at it.

Competition is never perfect in any sport... random elements will always exist.

Still holds true

no home-court advantage for Lakers though they deserved it

This rings is BIG TIME if they can get it done.

Shooter
09-19-2020, 03:18 AM
Agree to agree.

-----

-----

3. Are you retarded?

bingo

Phoenix
09-19-2020, 04:45 AM
Yep. This is why it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you end up with an unexpected champion or at least one 'from out of left field' finals contender. There's a chance you'll see a '99 Knicks' Cinderella situation.

Well, my analogy for a 99 Knicks situation didnt come to fruition but I don't think many had Miami and Denver still in the game at this stage.

TheGoatest
09-19-2020, 06:35 AM
Agree to agree.

-----

-----

3. Are you retarded?

Most here care about LeBron not winning the championship than any other player not winning the championship. Especially because Durant and Curry are out. Just look at the Lakers-Rockets thread post amount compared to the Clippers-Nuggets one.
So naturally, they will be eager to play the asterisk card: If everyone loses, that's cool because that also means LeBron loses.

eliteballer
09-29-2020, 08:21 PM
:D

eliteballer
10-24-2020, 11:15 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/pat-riley-lakers-nba-finals-win-heat-asterisk-010021842.html

FireDavidKahn
10-24-2020, 11:17 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/pat-riley-lakers-nba-finals-win-heat-asterisk-010021842.html

The Heat beat Pacers, Bucks and Celtics teams that weren’t at full strength. They played a Lakers team that wasn’t at full strength. Is this really a road Riley wants to go down?:roll: