PDA

View Full Version : GOAT midrange scorer of the 2000's?

StrongLurk
06-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Here's my order of the top off my head...except for Dirk, I'm got him number 1 for sure.

1. Dirk
2. Chris Paul
3. Durant
4. Kobe
5. Rip Hamilton

I'm sure there are plenty of other suggestions.

2ball
06-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Nash shot 52% for his career from mid range

StrongLurk
06-03-2020, 07:40 PM

Great pick - do you think has has the volume though of the players I listed? I doubt he does.

LAmbruh
06-03-2020, 07:41 PM
Garnett/Duncan

2ball
06-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Great pick - do you think has has the volume though of the players I listed? I doubt he does.

Perhaps not the longevity but in 04 and 05 post seasons he was an animal putting up 20+ppg and 10+ assists per game

light
06-03-2020, 07:53 PM
This is not a list you really want to be on. Midrange shots have by far the lowest effective shot quality versus the other major shot types.

StrongLurk
06-03-2020, 09:26 PM
This is not a list you really want to be on. Midrange shots have by far the lowest effective shot quality versus the other major shot types.

You don't want an entire team shooting a lot of midrange shots...but you absolutely want your two best scorers to be able to make them at a good percentage, especially in the playoffs. Having a guy like Dirk or KD get you tough buckets 50 percent of the time against the toughest defenses in the playoffs has huge value.

There are intangibles to basketball that don't show up on the stat sheet, and momentum is one of them. Just making 2-3 midrange shots in a row in the playoffs can absolutely wear down on the defenses mental state. When you do your best to shut down threes/layups, and the offense STILL scores on you consistently? It will be frustration.

CTbasketball92
06-04-2020, 01:29 AM
You don't want an entire team shooting a lot of midrange shots...but you absolutely want your two best scorers to be able to make them at a good percentage, especially in the playoffs. Having a guy like Dirk or KD get you tough buckets 50 percent of the time against the toughest defenses in the playoffs has huge value.

There are intangibles to basketball that don't show up on the stat sheet, and momentum is one of them. Just making 2-3 midrange shots in a row in the playoffs can absolutely wear down on the defenses mental state. When you do your best to shut down threes/layups, and the offense STILL scores on you consistently? It will be frustration.

Agreed, especially when both teams have great halfcourt defenses. This part of Harden's game has always been lacking to me and he goes with binary offensive attacks

ImKobe
06-04-2020, 05:15 AM

Not nearly enough volume - cherry-picked wide open shots. You wouldn't pick him over Kobe/Dirk/Durant to create a mid-range shot in a half-court setting.

He might have shot a higher percentage than Kobe, but Kobe took more than twice as many jump shots when both were in their primes. Nash might be the better pure shooter, but he's not a better mid-range scorer.

And how many teams have won championships without a good mid-range scorer? Almost every championship team, apart from a couple modern ones in the 3PT-heavy era, had one. You need a mid-range shot to combat great defenses.

FultzNationRISE
06-04-2020, 05:29 AM
Gonna have to go Lebron on this one.

After that is becomes a bit more of a toss up.

DoctorP
06-04-2020, 05:40 AM
WHat about TMac?

Dr Hawk
06-04-2020, 07:27 AM
1. Dirk
2. Kobe
3. Durant
4. Paul

Durant might be over Kobe.

Horatio33
06-04-2020, 07:53 AM
Steve Nash. Excellent percentage, didn't toss up garbage like Kobe Bryant.