PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Pippen should've been paid more?

iamgine
06-04-2020, 04:33 AM
A lot has been said for this. Many players seems to feel that Bulls should "do right by Pippen" by paying him more.

I don't think so. When he signed the contract, the team assumes the risk of him getting injured or not panning out and still having to pay him. Therefore, the opposite should be true as well. If he becomes a star and outperform his contract, they owe him nothing. They should both do right by the contract and finish it out before renegotiating.

3ball
06-04-2020, 04:34 AM
Agree OP

Pippen didn't bet on himself

But that isn't too surprising

FultzNationRISE
06-04-2020, 04:40 AM
Pip received a lot of “under the table” compensation from Madonna.

Stanley Kobrick
06-04-2020, 04:43 AM
Pip received a lot of “under the table” compensation from Madonna.
:pimp:

light
06-04-2020, 04:54 AM
A lot has been said for this. Many players seems to feel that Bulls should "do right by Pippen" by paying him more.

I don't think so. When he signed the contract, the team assumes the risk of him getting injured or not panning out and still having to pay him. Therefore, the opposite should be true as well. If he becomes a star and outperform his contract, they owe him nothing. They should both do right by the contract and finish it out before renegotiating.

Pippen and Jordan were taken advantage of. Jordan was also severely underpaid for most of his career.

They were naive kids that didnt know their true value and Reinsdorf exploited that.

iamgine
06-04-2020, 06:13 AM
Pippen and Jordan were taken advantage of. Jordan was also severely underpaid for most of his career.

They were naive kids that didnt know their true value and Reinsdorf exploited that.

You mean they were not responsible for signing their own contract because of....ignorance? What kind of mentality is this?

Reinsdorf even told Pippen not to sign it.

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2020, 08:02 AM
They should have just too keep the dynasty together and happy for as long as possible. An organization should never just let a defending champion dissolve. And they were bad for a pretty long time after that era.

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2020, 08:03 AM
But there was no moral imperative to pay hon more they just looked bad to a lot of people.

SouBeachTalents
06-04-2020, 08:13 AM
They should have just too keep the dynasty together and happy for as long as possible
They did that didn't they? You really anticipate them winning more championships after '98 with Jordan approaching his late 30's?

Real Men Wear Green
06-04-2020, 08:51 AM
They did that didn't they? You really anticipate them winning more championships after '98 with Jordan approaching his late 30's?They decided in advance that the 98 season was going to be the end ("The Last Dance"). Jackson and Rodman walk as well. They probably would have kept Jordan to make money but I'm guessing he wasn't interested in rebuilding at that stage of his career (he did do that in Washington but he was the GM of that team).

I think they could have won another ring. The Knicks team that won the EC in their place was definitely inferior to them. Young Duncan's Spurs would be a challenge but that wasn't an All-Time Great team. Certainly not guaranteeing a ring but how could it not be worth taking a chance? The Eddy Curry era can wait.

STATUTORY
06-04-2020, 09:07 AM
nope. he signed the contract against the advice of his owner. he was too beta to bet on himself but once he saw other people making money, he got antsy from the fear of miissng out. he wanted it both ways, guaranteed dollars and the maximal upside, it dont work like that. very effeminate tendencies.

97 bulls
06-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Why do you guys keep saying he shouldve bet on himself? He explained his reasoning as to why he signed the contract when he did. He had a father and a brother that were handicapped and his family was poor. Reinsdorf told him hed get more if he waited a couple more years. But alot can happen in 2 years. He chose taking care of his family through stability. Why do you guys fault him for that? What if he had gotten hurt? Saying that, I do feel the Bulls could've restructured his contract. But he went for stability based on his personal circumstances.

Roundball_Rock
06-04-2020, 01:30 PM
But there was no moral imperative to pay hon more they just looked bad to a lot of people.

It haunts the Bulls to this day to some extent. For example, Wade spoke about how the Bulls' (poor) treatment of their stars in the past was one reason he didn't sign with his hometown team in 2010.

97 bulls
06-04-2020, 02:13 PM
It haunts the Bulls to this day to some extent. For example, Wade spoke about how the Bulls' (poor) treatment of their stars in the past was one reason he didn't sign with his hometown team in 2010.

Kevin Garnett said the same thing if I remember correctly

Roundball_Rock
06-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Kevin Garnett said the same thing if I remember correctly

Damn. So KG and Wade, two all-time greats.

I am hoping the new regime can remedy this but it will be hard because the owner is still the same and what they did with Pippen, Jordan, and Jackson was so visible in the media (and then revisited recently with the "doc"). Superstars just don't sign with the Bulls. The highest profile free agent the Bulls have ever signed probably is an older Pau Gasol (although he had a renaissance in Chicago).

Reinsdorf has been good to players in retirement, hiring Pippen, Cartwright, Paxson, and others for various roles but that stuff isn't as visible as what is done to people as players.

Duncan21formvp
06-04-2020, 11:58 PM
He should had signed a 3-4 year deal instead of a 7 year deal.