PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's 24 point, 28 rebound, 15 BLOCKS triple double.

Clippersfan86
06-06-2020, 03:01 AM
https://youtu.be/gxfYP6soUTM

Wtf is this? 1993, I wasn't watching the NBA yet. Thjs is absurd. Tied for #2 with Manute Bol for single game block record. Absurd. I would throw peak Shaq up there with anyone all time.

warriorfan
06-06-2020, 03:04 AM
That is a Wilt Chamberlain type statline. Wilt and Shaq were both truly larger than life.

light
06-06-2020, 03:06 AM
That could be a kind of quadruple-double because he had 10 offensive rebounds.

24 pts, 15 blocks, 18 def reb, 10 off reb.

Clippersfan86
06-06-2020, 03:07 AM
That could be a kind of quadruple-double because he had 10 offensive rebounds.

24 pts, 15 blocks, 18 def reb, 10 off reb.

Also 4 assists looks like? What's nuts is he actually looks like he's only going 50% lmao. He's not playing particularly hard or high energy. Imagine if he had the motor+work ethic of guys like Jordan/Kobe? He'd easily be the GOAT. This is his 2nd year when he put up 29/13/3 blocks basically.

SouBeachTalents
06-06-2020, 03:32 AM
I've never seen a statline like that post Wilt, that shit is absolutely ridiculous :oldlol:

The closest match I could think of was his Game 2 performance in the '01 Finals, coming off their only loss of the playoffs. But that was a mere 28/20/9/8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VxhjAAUDk

Overdrive
06-06-2020, 03:34 AM
G2 2001 finals was fn crazy aswell. I hate the Giannis-Shaq comparisons. Giannis is tall and dunks, but that's where it ends.

Overdrive
06-06-2020, 03:35 AM
I've never seen a statline like that post Wilt, that shit is absolutely ridiculous :oldlol:

The closest match I could think of was his Game 2 performance in the '01 Finals, coming off their only loss of the playoffs. But that was a mere 28/20/9/8

Beat me to it.

Kblaze8855
06-06-2020, 05:44 AM
It’s claimed that this was in response to reporters questioning his defense....and Ive read that he might have only had 9 blocks and got help from statisticians. That was ISH hating from 10+ years ago though so I don’t remember specifics or if they had any evidence.

Phoenix
06-06-2020, 05:52 AM
It’s claimed that this was in response to reporters questioning his defense....and Ive read that he might have only had 9 blocks and got help from statisticians. That was ISH hating from 10+ years ago though so I don’t remember specifics or if they had any evidence.

Shit, they should have questioned his defense every game if that's the response. He'd have been GOAT lol.

light
06-06-2020, 06:06 AM

What about these games:

Shawn Bradley - 22 points, 22 rebounds, 13 blocks
Mark Eaton - 12 points, 20 rebounds, 14 blocks
Hakeem - 32 points, 25 rebounds, 10 blocks

??

Phoenix
06-06-2020, 06:24 AM
https://youtu.be/3-YTN0mYbYM

SATAN
06-06-2020, 06:47 AM
https://youtu.be/gxfYP6soUTM

Wtf is this? 1993, I wasn't watching the NBA yet. Thjs is absurd. Tied for #2 with Manute Bol for single game block record. Absurd. I would throw peak Shaq up there with anyone all time.

lmao. He was a great player. Highly underrated by youngins. It honestly shocks me that you're just learning about what he's done. I wouldn't ever give him GOAT kind of status (it's completely ridiculous anyway) but Shaq was an absolute force back in the day. I also remember watching that game Pheonix posted. Sad the way things have panned out for the legendary big men of that era in terms of these dumb ass rankings. They were dominant as ****. Mind you, they were no LeBron James.

Psileas
06-06-2020, 06:55 AM
Well, with or without haters, I have watched the clips from that specific game more than once and don't remember having seen more than 8-9 blocks. 28 rebounds sounded a little fishy as well, but I don't remember how accurate his rebounding total was. But, as long as blocks are concerned, yes, he did get help from statisticians, and seemingly pretty massive too.

SATAN
06-06-2020, 07:01 AM
Well, with or without haters, I have watched the clips from that specific game more than once and don't remember having seen more than 8-9 blocks. 28 rebounds sounded a little fishy as well, but I don't remember how accurate his rebounding total was. But, as long as blocks are concerned, yes, he did get help from statisticians, and seemingly pretty massive too.

Please provide more information about these claims...

Kblaze8855
06-06-2020, 07:03 AM
I’ve seen the game but I don’t remember the count. I just know it’s said he didn’t have 15....kinda like people say Walt Frazier didn’t have 36/19/6 steals in the Willis Reed game 7 but really had 36/9/6. I can’t say for sure but I’ve heard it from so many sources I hesitate to say it’s flat out made up.

Psileas
06-06-2020, 07:25 AM
Please provide more information about these claims...

Just watch the clips. These are supposed to be the most complete highlight reels, with special emphasis being given to blocks (since blocks are the most special feature of that performance), even the marginal ones, and yet, like 5-6 of them are missing. When he gets his 6th of the clip, the card says he has 11. I don't believe there are portions of the game missing either, since all his baskets exist and no way would he have some quick sequence of 5-6 blocks only to be left out of the reels.
Blaze, this seems to be correct on Frazier, too. It's an all-time great performance, but I don't remember having counted anywhere near 19 assists, either.

Reggie43
06-06-2020, 07:31 AM
Counted 14 blocks on a lamarmatic video but 2 of them are Karl Malone strip blocks and some on jumpers and layups that he had slight contact with the ball forcing the wild miss/ ball not even hitting the rim. Last one i had trouble counting because of the bad video quality was a shot that his teammate already had a strip but the shooter still tried to get it up then Shaq slapped it away.

Elosha
06-06-2020, 07:31 AM
lmao. He was a great player. Highly underrated by youngins. It honestly shocks me that you're just learning about what he's done. I wouldn't ever give him GOAT kind of status (it's completely ridiculous anyway) but Shaq was an absolute force back in the day. I also remember watching that game Pheonix posted. Sad the way things have panned out for the legendary big men of that era in terms of these dumb ass rankings. They were dominant as ****. Mind you, they were no LeBron James.

Honestly, Shaq was a more explosive, physically dominant version of Wilt. The more I watch the 2 of them play, the only advantage Wilt may have had was endurance (but even that's overrated given how little Wilt moved on offense and defense). No knock on Wilt, he's a top player and center, but Shaq was better. Wilt just capitalized on stats like blocks b/c (1) he WAS a great shot blocker but (2) players at the time took far more close in shots, thus giving him far more opportunity, along with the higher pace/shots in general, and (3) typical players in the 50's and 60's were far less athletic, shot the ball lower and with less arc, and made it exponentially easier for a player of Wilt's size and talent to block shots.

Axe
06-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Imagine if he played for cleveland and had that kind of stat, he'd make that team a worthy playoff contender somehow.

hiphopanonymous
06-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Didn't this turn out to be an erroneous statline upon review of the actual game tape? Something like 8 blocks? This happened a lot in the eras before the NBA had a game tape statistician crew to review and double-check published statlines and the early 90's of course was still well before this. They probably had a few statisticians counting for the whole game live with no review. I think the league only started bolstering their accuracy with reviews in the mid 2000's so every once in a while games like this show up in the archives where the stat line doesn't quite match the tape.

Another is Clyde Fraziers 19 NBA Finals assists for their 1970 G7 Championship game, it turned out to be more like 9 assists. I started manually counting all stats for any game highlights I did in the 1960's or 1970's as a result and I advertise the videos as what I counted first - then I asterisk what the players were *credited* as having. Before the mid 2000's, many games have like a 20% average variability rate of things like assists and rebounds. Points of course are always spot on but for the other stats that can be tough to track mid-game, every once in a while you get a game like this where it's well more than 20% off. The flip side of course, is many games players were also getting under credited for stats. So I'd imagine players career averages aren't too far off but definitely specific games don't always line up.

SouBeachTalents
06-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Here's a breakdown of the blocks from that game

https://lamarmatic.com/2015/08/19/an-unnecessary-breakdown-of-the-shaky-15-blocks-by-shaq/

LAmbruh
06-06-2020, 10:29 AM
MDE :bowdown:

Clippersfan86
06-06-2020, 11:38 PM

Well.. I watched the Shaq Lakers of the late 90's, but I didn't start following the NBA until around 1996-1997 area... and the first couple years I wasn't a full blown fan. So I think I saw later Orlando Shaq maybe a couple times, if that.

HoopsNY
06-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Impressive. I believe Hakeem had a game once where he had 38-17-6 with 7 steals and 12 blocks.