PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team Selection/Construction & Nuggets from the Dream Team book (Jack McCallum)

Roundball_Rock
06-08-2020, 09:37 PM
There is so much BS being spewed out there regarding the Dream Team I had to go to the definitive book on the team and go through the index to get quotes on why the team was assembled as it was, who was considered, and what those who worked to build the team thought about certain players. This was not an exhaustive effort so I encourage others to go through the book's index to provide further detail.

It is vital for a discussion forum to operate on a common set of facts. That is the purpose of this post so we can separate mythology from reality with respect to the Dream Team, an important part of basketball history. We have to move pass gaslighting documented historical facts.

Coach Chuck Daly's views on selections

Must have players for Daly (in order): MJ, Magic, Pippen, Robinson, Mullin, Malone, Ewing
Pippen: wanted his defense and offensive versatility
Robinson: loved his shot blocking
Mullin: loved his shot making
Miller: Mullin considered a better zone breaker
Malone: “not completely enamored with Malone” but considered him a dependable low block scorer and shot clock bailout guy
Ewing: same as Malone, although Daly preferred Robinson’s game
Jordan/Magic: no discussion of his views by common sense, best two players in the league at the time

Daly's views on the Team

Daly thought his three most important players were Jordan, Pippen, Barkley
Barkley: could score anytime
Jordan/Pippen: could cover the whole floor on defense, initiate the offense as scorers or facilitators
Jordan/Pippen>Barkley>the rest of the team. “Give me Michael and Scottie and it really doesn’t matter who else is out there.”

Selection Committee's Views

MJ, Magic, Bird: automatic. Author called them the "golden tripod."
Robinson, Ewing locks: needed quality centers
Malone: lock
Pippen: lock
Mullin: debate over him on the selection committee
Barkley: discussion over him, basically due to off the court transgressions
Isiah: discussion of him, Detroit’s GM never spoke up for him
Rodman: some reporting at the time that Rodman was considered more than Isiah; Rod Thorn denies that

Comments/discussion in the book

Worthy/McHale/Wilkins: "unlikely" to be chosen (stated regarding the outset of the process)
Stockton: wanted the perception he was picked over Isiah to go away
Stockton vs. KJ coaches/GM poll author did for SI: KJ won 16-5
USA Today poll on replacing Stockton if needed due to injury: 1) Isiah 2) T. Hardaway 3) Price 4) B. Hurley 5) K. Johnson
If Stockton didn’t play Dumars would have taken his spot (MJ, daily golfing buddy of Daly: “I know for a fact Chuck wanted Dumars.”)
Malone vs. Barkley coaches/GM poll for SI on who you would start a team with: Malone 15-7
Laettner: “I guess” MJ was the best player on the team but if so by a small margin
Drexler: take Magic, Bird off DT; I, Worthy, Wilkins, Isiah should have been on the original 10
Drexler: later on in the discussion with the author when asked who else he would take off, said Mullin.
Drexler: basically says he is better version of MJ, except he shot less (pg. 117 MJ stans)
Wilkins: mentioned only three times in the book in passing, never as a serious candidate for the team
Author: argument against Drexler was he was too much like MJ.
Pippen: targeted as one of the prime gets for the team (author)

Roundball_Rock
06-08-2020, 09:37 PM
The three Nique mentions: 1) as being unlikely to make the team 2) a player Barkley guarded 3) Gerald Wilkins' brother. That is it.

Dumars as the replacement for Stockton was backed up by another reporter.

PeteVecseySwag
06-08-2020, 10:18 PM
:oldlol:

Drexler always was delusional af.

1996 team would've been the best ever with MJ in place of Stockton. No weak links due to injury, rookie, or age.

Roundball_Rock
06-08-2020, 10:45 PM

True, but have to respect the confidence. :pimp:

aceman
06-09-2020, 12:12 AM

1996 team would've been the best ever with MJ in place of Stockton. No weak links due to injury, rookie, or age.

In gold medal game of 1996 Stockton was best player on court - got stalling USA offense going!

Rico2016
06-09-2020, 12:17 AM
In gold medal game of 1996 Stockton was best player on court - got stalling USA offense going!

That is just sad news

aceman
06-09-2020, 01:25 AM
That is just sad news

Sorry - just the truth