PDA

View Full Version : Was Lebron's 2018 playoff run the most overrated ever?

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 02:46 PM
He played a bunch of geek teams in the east. East finals was 19 year old Tatum hahahha who is still technically a sophomore in college for god sakes. oh and Al Horford how can I forget, another Horace Grant just without the goggles.

In 2018 finals, LeBron refused to guard Durant and instead was taking out his frustration by yelling at role player JR Smith.

Durant 2018 Finals +86 on, -26 off: NET +112

LeBron 2018 Finals -60 on , 0 off: NET -60

SouBeachTalents
06-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Yes, one of the less impressive playoff runs I've seen tbh

NBAGOAT
06-12-2020, 02:54 PM
He played a bunch of geek teams in the east. East finals was 19 year old Tatum hahahha who is still technically a sophomore in college for god sakes. oh and Al Horford how can I forget, another Horace Grant just without the goggles.

In 2018 finals, LeBron refused to guard Durant and instead was taking out his frustration by yelling at role player JR Smith.

A guy on a completely outmatched team has a negative net rtg what a shocker. I’m a big fan of impact stats but on/off just doesn’t mean much for a 4 game sample especially in a case like this where lebron sat like 2 min/game and cle was so outmatched. Ofc even the biggest lebron hater can’t not put some blame on jr lol.

It’s not his best run but he was just great the first 3 rounds. You can disparage Toronto for good reason but that was a good team with a bunch of guys who contributed significantly to a title 2 years later(ofc hindsight bias but idc)

tpols
06-12-2020, 03:15 PM
yes... the east was horrible that year (shocker) and all cleveland had to beat was the trash bros & a rookie tatum and brown led celtics.

then they get swept and destroyed in the Finals.

and he had an all NBA caliber talent as a sidekick so there's no excuse to get beat that bad. Houston put up a huge fight just prior.

Manny98
06-12-2020, 03:17 PM
Try again Babyboi, 2018 was literally the greatest playoff run ever

https://i.postimg.cc/GhXbgLJX/images.jpg

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 03:30 PM
A guy on a completely outmatched team has a negative net rtg what a shocker. I’m a big fan of impact stats but on/off just doesn’t mean much for a 4 game sample especially in a case like this where lebron sat like 2 min/game and cle was so outmatched. Ofc even the biggest lebron hater can’t not put some blame on jr lol.

It’s not his best run but he was just great the first 3 rounds. You can disparage Toronto for good reason but that was a good team with a bunch of guys who contributed significantly to a title 2 years later(ofc hindsight bias but idc)

Warriors were -26 with Durant off the court. If LeBron just decided to guard Durant, maybe its a decent series.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 03:32 PM

2013 and 2018 LeBron is facing Kawhi/Tatum before they hit puberty hahahha. Beat some stars in their actual prime.

RRR3
06-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Meltdown.

Turbo Slayer
06-12-2020, 03:59 PM

LeBron 2018 Finals -60 on , 0 off: NET -60 Wow. All of these stats prove that the outmatched Cavs faced one of the greatest teams ever (2018 GSW).

Take LeBron off that Cavs team and they don't EVEN make the Finals. Period.

In 2018 finals, LeBron refused to guard Durant and instead was taking out his frustration by yelling at role player JR Smith. All narrative nonsense. LeBron didn't guard Durant because he was taking most of the offensive load and he would be simply too exhausted trying to guard the opposing team's best player and trying to get buckets for his team at the end of the game. It makes total sense.

ArbitraryWater
06-12-2020, 04:03 PM
He was spectacular from the first game of the season through the last.

He was putting a major scare on GS too before the refs flipped game 1.

You better believe KD isn‘t playing so freely with a 1-1 series instead of being up 2-0.

SouBeachTalents
06-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Wow. All of these stats prove that the outmatched Cavs faced one of the greatest teams ever (2018 GSW).

Make the Finals? :oldlol: They don't even win 30 games

SouBeachTalents
06-12-2020, 04:06 PM

You better believe KD isn‘t playing so freely with a 1-1 series instead of being up 2-0.
That really is one of the bigger what if's, how that series progresses had Game 1 not ended so catastrophically. I'm definitely still not picking the Cavs to win lol, but at the very least it would've been interesting

BigShotBob
06-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Practically every other top player in the NBA could have taken that Cavs to the Finals with their level of piss poor competition. Be it KD, Harden, or Curry at the time.

StrongLurk
06-12-2020, 04:13 PM
OP with the MAJOR Lebron insecurity post. Ouch.

Turbo Slayer
06-12-2020, 04:14 PM
yes... the east was horrible that year (shocker) and all cleveland had to beat was the trash bros & a rookie tatum and brown led celtics.

then they get swept and destroyed in the Finals.

and he had an all NBA caliber talent as a sidekick so there's no excuse to get beat that bad. Houston put up a huge fight just prior.
Houston put up a huge fight just prior.

Also Kobe had an all-NBA caliber player in Pau Gasol so there's no excuse to get beat that bad and no excuse to get his ass WHOOPED by the Celtics in 2008. See the hypocrisy coming from this guy? :facepalm

Also Kevin Love wasn't even All-NBA 3rd team in 2018 so I don't get what you are saying.

Also comparing the Houston Rockets who had the pieces and manpower to slow down and stop GSW to a Cavs team that got its players traded by the deadline (retirement home Cavs LMAO), 20+ different starting lineups, garbage front office, terrible coaching, and at best meh supporting cast is a laughable take.

The Rockets were the only team equipped to stop GSW because they had the manpower to do so.

NBAGOAT
06-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Warriors were -26 with Durant off the court. If LeBron just decided to guard Durant, maybe its a decent series.

Not saying lebron played good defense in tht series, he didn’t but his strength was always help over man defense so why stick him on Durant

Turbo Slayer
06-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Make the Finals? :oldlol: They don't even win 30 games Yes, it is representative on how terrible LeBron's supporting cast was in 2018.

Also it shows LeBron's impact as an all-time great. 4th seed with LeBron, lottery team without LeBron.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Wow. All of these stats prove that the outmatched Cavs faced one of the greatest teams ever (2018 GSW).

All narrative nonsense. LeBron didn't guard Durant because he was taking most of the offensive load and he would be simply too exhausted trying to guard the opposing team's best player and trying to get buckets for his team at the end of the game. It makes total sense.

Warriors were -26 when Durant was off the court. You ignored that point. Maybe if LeBron guarded Durant....

ArbitraryWater
06-12-2020, 04:27 PM
That really is one of the bigger what if's, how that series progresses had Game 1 not ended so catastrophically. I'm definitely still not picking the Cavs to win lol, but at the very least it would've been interesting

For sure.

6 games is a strong possibility. It MIGHT have gone 7.

Its possible the refs altered/prevented the greatest shock in NBA history. GS would have been sweaty as hell in a game 7.

Uncle Drew
06-12-2020, 04:31 PM
LeBron 2018 playoff run, as well as Game 1 of the 2018 Finals, is the highest level anyone has played ever.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 05:12 PM
LeBron 2018 playoff run, as well as Game 1 of the 2018 Finals, is the highest level anyone has played ever.

Against a 19 year old? Not a chance in hell

ShawkFactory
06-12-2020, 05:14 PM
I really feel like people forgot that kyrie wasn’t there in 2018.

That was an all time finals talent disparity. The only one greater in the last 30 or so years is 2001.

2002 is arguable as well.

Bronbron23
06-12-2020, 05:15 PM

Dont really think its overrated. Other than a few of his stans who praises him when he farts nobody really talks about 2018. His consecutive finals streak in general is overrated though given how trash the east is and how much he lost.

RRR3
06-12-2020, 05:15 PM

This is like the one thing we agree completely on. That is the most rigged game I've ever seen and I'll never get over it.

Bronbron23
06-12-2020, 05:24 PM
This is like the one thing we agree completely on. That is the most rigged game I've ever seen and I'll never get over it.

Major scare? He got swept lol. You guys are crazy with this shit.

Qnd the series before that he got taken to 7 games with jaylen brown as the celtics best player. Wtf were yall on in 2018?

tpols
06-12-2020, 05:28 PM
guy gets swept in record breaking fashion and bran fans extrapolate the one close game to a 7 game series lmao.

the standards for lebron are so low that beating a teenage tatum is an accomplishment.

ArbitraryWater
06-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Major scare? He got swept lol. You guys are crazy with this shit.

Qnd the series before that he got taken to 7 games with jaylen brown as the celtics best player. Wtf were yall on in 2018?

Its not a „we“ thing.

This is how anyone who doesnt have their head up their ass sees it.

He literally beat Brown/Tatum/Horford/Rozier without Kevin Love. Jr Smith or Jeff Green was his 2nd best player.

Dont fake it now. We all saw GS scared bench as LeBron put a whopping on them. Boy David West was anxious.

You might be incapable for it, but how else do you see a series going but 6/7 when you have HC and G1 momentum?

I‘m obviously asking too much of you.

Turbo Slayer
06-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Warriors were -26 when Durant was off the court. You ignored that point. Maybe if LeBron guarded Durant.... So I'm supposed to take stock in a sample size less than 5 games?

Sorry but this is trash. Basketball coaches can opt to put a player on a different match up depending on their opposing matchup's skill level and defensive prowess. Many players commonly switch matchups though screens. It is not a good idea to put LeBron on Durant because Durant is a highly skilled player and Golden State have many offensive weapons like Curry, Klay, and Green.

Putting LeBron on KD will likely take a toll on LeBron since he's worried about guarding KD and producing offensive opportunities upfront too. Who is guarding Curry? Who is guarding Klay?

The problem with Golden State is that they had many weapons to throw at and James isn't the answer or solution. I mean hurting your best player by putting James on KD is not going to work.

ArbitraryWater
06-12-2020, 05:30 PM
guy gets swept in record breaking fashion and bran fans extrapolate the one close game to a 7 game series lmao.

the standards for lebron are so low that beating a teenage tatum is an accomplishment.

You‘re being intellectually dishonest.

You know well enough that series would have been a dogfight if the refs dont flip game 1.

You know it. Maybe you dont wanna think so, but we all know this.

ArbitraryWater
06-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Same.

They ****ed up NBA history on that one, and diminished GS‘ victory.

May they pay for their crimes.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-12-2020, 06:30 PM
So I'm supposed to take stock in a sample size less than 5 games?

Sorry but this is trash. Basketball coaches can opt to put a player on a different match up depending on their opposing matchup's skill level and defensive prowess. Many players commonly switch matchups though screens. It is not a good idea to put LeBron on Durant because Durant is a highly skilled player and Golden State have many offensive weapons like Curry, Klay, and Green.

Putting LeBron on KD will likely take a toll on LeBron since he's worried about guarding KD and producing offensive opportunities upfront too. Who is guarding Curry? Who is guarding Klay?

The problem with Golden State is that they had many weapons to throw at and James isn't the answer or solution. I mean hurting your best player by putting James on KD is not going to work.

If LeBron did his best job to slow down Durant, the performance by LeBron would of been more respectable. Warriors were not playing great when Durant was on the bench. LeBron guarded Curry in 2016 finals, I don't see why he couldn't defend Durant.

tpols
06-12-2020, 06:30 PM
You‘re being intellectually dishonest.

You know well enough that series would have been a dogfight if the refs dont flip game 1.

You know it. Maybe you dont wanna think so, but we all know this.

bro they lost the next 3 games by an average of 17 points.

:biggums:

they werent winning shit in that series.

Houston even without paul made it a game smh.

SouBeachTalents
06-12-2020, 06:35 PM
bro they lost the next 3 games by an average of 17 points.

:biggums:

they werent winning shit in that series.

Houston even without paul made it a game smh.
Houston lost the two games without Paul by 19 ppg

Whoah10115
06-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Oh that's not even close to the worst. OKC used to live off terrible calls, tho mostly in the regular season.

Wasn't that serious anyway.

To answer the question, no. I don't think any ratings by the obsessives mean anything in any scheme.

tpols
06-12-2020, 06:52 PM
Houston lost the two games without Paul by 19 ppg

the Harden & eric gordon rockets were up double digits in both games at least. they were blowing them out.

They had the dubs on the ropes. Cavs never had any lead even close to that in the last 3. There was no scare.

Bronbron23
06-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Its not a „we“ thing.

This is how anyone who doesnt have their head up their ass sees it.

He literally beat Brown/Tatum/Horford/Rozier without Kevin Love. Jr Smith or Jeff Green was his 2nd best player.

Dont fake it now. We all saw GS scared bench as LeBron put a whopping on them. Boy David West was anxious.

You might be incapable for it, but how else do you see a series going but 6/7 when you have HC and G1 momentum?

I‘m obviously asking too much of you.

dude i hate the warriors. I was happy as hell when bron beat them in 16 and was hoping hed beat them after that. Your acting like the Celtics were something special. Brown and tatum were puppies and horford well is just hordord. I'll pretend like you didnt bring up rozier.

RRR3
06-12-2020, 08:02 PM
dude i hate the warriors. I was happy as hell when bron beat them in 16 and was hoping hed beat them after that. Your acting like the Celtics were something special. Brown and tatum were puppies and horford well is just hordord. I'll pretend like you didnt bring up rozier.
Horford is a great player. Or at least he was. So much for you caring about defense.

tpols
06-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Terry Rozier. :roll:

There was a time when people were saying he was better than kyrie.

Dude was the ultimate one hit wonder.

Reggie Jackson jr.

ELITEpower23
06-12-2020, 08:05 PM

Only player in NBA history to average 30 points or more on 50% shooting for every single series.

ELITEpower23
06-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Practically every other top player in the NBA could have taken that Cavs to the Finals with their level of piss poor competition. Be it KD, Harden, or Curry at the time.
Well considering it took him breaking the all-time PER records set by Michael Jordan at 32.2 and considering it also took him scoring 30 points on 50% on every single series, both Things That No player has ever done in the history of the sport, I'm going to conclude that you are very wrong.

light
06-12-2020, 09:01 PM

You can't have your only offensive weapon guarding Durant - then you'd have no offense.

And you must be reminded that Kevin Love missed Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals which was IN BOSTON. Home teams win Game 7s 79% of the time. The Cavs were +2.5 underdogs.

Every hater in here predicted the Cavs to lose not only that Game 7, but also to lose to the Raptors in the previous round. They were probably predicting a game 7 loss to Indiana in the first round too. Now these same people are talking about, "a bunch of geek teams in the East"

Yeah, no. Nope. Not buying it.

LeBron's Legendary 2018 Playoff Run

R1, G1: 24/12/10
R1, G2: 46/12/5
R1, G5: 44/10/8
R1, G7: 45/8/7

R2, G1: 26/13/11
R2, G2: 43/14/8
R2, G4: 38/7/6

R3, G2: 42/12/10
R3, G4: 44/5/3
R3, G6: 46/11/9
R3, G7: 35/15/9

F, G1: 51/8/8
F, G2: 29/13/9
F, G3: 33/11/10

Most 40 Point Games in a Single Postseason:

1. LeBron James - 8
1. Jerry West - 8
2. Michael Jordan - 7
3. Allen Iverson - 6

https://antistratfordian.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bronbron-high-step.gif

Axe
06-12-2020, 09:01 PM
In this run, Lebron's had two game 7s.

Bronbron23
06-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Horford is a great player. Or at least he was. So much for you caring about defense.

horford is decent defender but its not like hes hes an all time great or anything. Your reaching with this one. Nobody is worrying about Horford out there.

tpols
06-12-2020, 09:17 PM
horford is decent defender but its not like hes hes an all time great or anything. Your reaching with this one. Nobody is worrying about Horford out there.

Horford's best attribute was his passing and playmaking from PF position. hilarious R talking defense.

Al was softer than charmin defending the paint.

Bronbron23
06-12-2020, 09:20 PM
Horford's best attribute was his passing and playmaking from PF position. hilarious R talking defense.

Al was softer than charmin defending the paint.

Yeah i dont know what dude is talking about. I guess sitting back anf forcing greek to shoot equals elite defense lol

ELITEpower23
06-13-2020, 12:30 AM
You can't have your only offensive weapon guarding Durant - then you'd have no offense.

And you must be reminded that Kevin Love missed Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals which was IN BOSTON. Home teams win Game 7s 79% of the time. The Cavs were +2.5 underdogs.

Every hater in here predicted the Cavs to lose not only that Game 7, but also to lose to the Raptors in the previous round. They were probably predicting a game 7 loss to Indiana in the first round too. Now these same people are talking about, "a bunch of geek teams in the East"

Yeah, no. Nope. Not buying it.

LeBron's Legendary 2018 Playoff Run

R1, G1: 24/12/10
R1, G2: 46/12/5
R1, G5: 44/10/8
R1, G7: 45/8/7

R2, G1: 26/13/11
R2, G2: 43/14/8
R2, G4: 38/7/6

R3, G2: 42/12/10
R3, G4: 44/5/3
R3, G6: 46/11/9
R3, G7: 35/15/9

F, G1: 51/8/8
F, G2: 29/13/9
F, G3: 33/11/10

Most 40 Point Games in a Single Postseason:

1. LeBron James - 8
1. Jerry West - 8
2. Michael Jordan - 7
3. Allen Iverson - 6

https://antistratfordian.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bronbron-high-step.gif

Love missed game 6 as well. (Played 5 min)

Down 3-2 vs Boston with a terrible cast AND MISSING LOVE, LBJ destroyed in Game 6 and 7. Messed around and averaged a ridiculous stat line

Reminder: LBJ loses Kevin Love in 2018 due to concusion
Back-to-back games
Game 6 and 7 vs BOS (down 3-2)

41/13/9 with 8/15 53% 3p

GOAT 41/13/9 BYE

BigShotBob
06-13-2020, 12:36 AM
That East was weak and he wouldn't have made it through the 2019 East if he had stayed. But then he missed the playoffs in the West without AD.

Sad.

Curry, Kawhi, and KD would have done what he did. Easy.

ELITEpower23
06-13-2020, 12:41 AM
That East was weak and he wouldn't have made it through the 2019 East if he had stayed. But then he missed the playoffs in the West without AD.

Sad.

Curry, Kawhi, and KD would have done what he did. Easy.

Curry is still looking for his second playoff game winner
LeBron had 3 in 2018 alone. Goodnight :lol

trada7029
06-13-2020, 01:42 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-13-2020/dnPr54.gif

90 possessions per game

So lebron was holding it 4 more seconds per possesssion than Durant - those 4 seconds represent a lower quality of basketball and skill (AAU ball-dominance)

But the real overrated series was 2017, when lebron had a similar hold-time advantage, but had weaker stats than KD... And his your-turn-my-turn approach with Kyrie turned Kyrie's goat production into the most beatable fornat possible - a complete waste and underperformance by a super-team..

ELITEpower23
06-13-2020, 01:44 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-13-2020/dnPr54.gif

90 possessions per game

So lebron was holding it 4 more seconds per possesssion than Durant

The real overrated series was 2017, when lebron had a similar hold-time advantage, but had weaker stats than KD

:lol 3ball alt spotted

Go away doofus

trada7029
06-13-2020, 01:46 AM
:lol 3ball alt spotted

Go away doofus

the real overrated series was 2017, when lebron had a similar hold-time advantage, but had weaker stats than KD...

And his your-turn-my-turn approach with Kyrie turned Kyrie's goat production into the most beatable fornat possible - a complete waste and underperformance by a super-team.. 3/7 with super-teams... Low usage in both blowouts and close series (aka not trying to win, aka robot stat accumulator)

ELITEpower23
06-13-2020, 01:55 AM
the real overrated series was 2017, when lebron had a similar hold-time advantage, but had weaker stats than KD...

And his your-turn-my-turn approach with Kyrie turned Kyrie's goat production into the most beatable fornat possible - a complete waste and underperformance by a super-team.. 3/7 with super-teams... Low usage in both blowouts and close series (aka not trying to win, aka robot stat accumulator)

3ball,

You're sick. Get help.

PeteVecseySwag
06-13-2020, 02:07 AM
I see it mentioned no where, all the time. It didn’t end in any sort of legendary or legacy defining way. He didn’t win anything of note.

ELITEpower23
06-13-2020, 03:47 AM
I see it mentioned no where, all the time. It didn’t end in any sort of legendary or legacy defining way. He didn’t win anything of note.

Find a higher PER for a full playoff run through the Finals

Hint: You cant. He set the PER record at 32.2

Smoke117
06-13-2020, 04:31 AM

I can't stand either one, but this is a bit disingenuous. LeBron basically had to carry the Cavs offensively while Durant joined a 73 win powerhouse of an offense before he ever stepped a foot on the court...that LeBron wasn't defending Durant when he had to carry such a huge burden offensively isn't really noteworthy. It'd be a tough task to guard Durant at any point, but when you are expending so much energy offensively like he had to? It's not something to bark about either way.

tpols
06-13-2020, 09:23 AM
I can't stand either one, but this is a bit disingenuous. LeBron basically had to carry the Cavs offensively while Durant joined a 73 win powerhouse of an offense before he ever stepped a foot on the court...that LeBron wasn't defending Durant when he had to carry such a huge burden offensively isn't really noteworthy. It'd be a tough task to guard Durant at any point, but when you are expending so much energy offensively like he had to? It's not something to bark about either way.

why didnt kevin love have a bigger offensive load?

he had all NBA offensive talent. it's the only reason he ever made the team. 25+ ppg 120 ORTG.

NBAGOAT
06-13-2020, 10:47 AM
why didnt kevin love have a bigger offensive load?

he had all NBA offensive talent. it's the only reason he ever made the team. 25+ ppg 120 ORTG.

It’s not exactly easy to maintain play from year to year. You can argue and put blame on lebron, it’s certainly debatable but the fact is loves not the only star to drop off so I think there’s more to it than that.

Blake griffin dropped off in a 3 years from a top 5 lvl guy to not even really all star lvl(and not just due to injuries played 60 games in 2017,2018). That was until he suddenly developed a great 3pt shot last year.

It can’t even be mostly cp3s fault, he was there at the beginning of his career. We tend to see wat someone did in the past as completely reflective of their true ability and that’s just not true in a lot of cases.

Swings, regression, and luck happens. Like you may have been a great poster in 14 with smart arguments. That’s not the case in 2020 for whatever reason.