PDA

View Full Version : Quaker Oats announces it's ending it's Aunt Jemima Brand

Hey Yo
06-17-2020, 11:52 AM
In a statement Wednesday (via NBC News), Quaker Oats — who purchased the Aunt Jemima brand of syrup and pancake mixes in 1926 — admitted the racial history of the brand, which was named after the minstrel song “Old Aunt Jemima.”

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype,” Quaker Oats’ vice president and chief marketing officer Kristin Kroepfl said in a statement. “As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers’ expectations.”

The new name and packaging for the breakfast products will be announced later this year, with the rebranded products expected to hit supermarket shelves by the fall of 2020.

According to the timeline on the Aunt Jemima website, the brand was created in 1889 but was first “brought to life” by Nancy Green, who featured as “Aunt Jemima” on packaging; following Green’s death in 1923, other Black women would be featured on the Aunt Jemima packaging, including Anna Harrington, actress Aylene Lewis, blues singer Edith Wilson and performer Ethel Ernestine Harper. Harrington’s surviving relatives sued Quaker Oats in 2014 for royalties dating back to her appearance on the Aunt Jemima brand in the Thirties; that lawsuit was dismissed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/quaker-oats-ends-aunt-jemima-brand-1016380/

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Soon to follow:

Cleveland Indians
Washington Redskins
Red Man Tobacco

They should actually change Aunt Jemima to the face of a White woman just to troll these ****ers. See how fast they'll want the original Aunt Jemima's face back on there.

Madness.

rawimpact
06-17-2020, 12:02 PM
Eh...

It's a shitty product to begin with, just like most of Quaker products

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2020, 12:49 PM
Shit is moving fast. Uncle Ben's is next already.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/17/aunt-jemima-logo-change-are-uncle-bens-mrs-butterworths-next/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true

Communism is the death of symbolism and artistic expression. Pretty soon we will just have packages of goods separated by letters, numbers, and solid colors to differentiate them.

LostCause
06-17-2020, 01:00 PM
Absolutely 0 problem with this

tpols
06-17-2020, 01:12 PM
i dont get it... is aunt jemima a slave or something?

i thought it was just an older black lady.

tpols
06-17-2020, 01:13 PM
something tells me that lady that does the popeyes commercials is gonna get canned lol

Cleverness
06-17-2020, 01:19 PM
no one is safe :biggums:

43% adult obesity in US still safe. big sugar still safe.

they're only canceling aunt jemima, not the high fructose corn syrup

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2020, 01:25 PM
Let's give these people what they want. Let's go after Nintendo. Mario and Luigi with that Italian stereotypical accent. See how the Japs feel about all this nonsense. They'll probably tell these people to **** off.

Let's go after the film industry for casting White people to play different ethnicities and races.

Let's go all the way until we can convince the entire world how ridiculous this is. There is no point in swimming against this current. It's a strong one. Let the current drown everyone until they realize the huge mistake they've made.

hateraid
06-17-2020, 03:00 PM
So a black face on a food product is wrong...but changes need to be made with traditional cartoon characters that were trademarked with a specific features (Annie, Arrielle) to a black person is right? I don't get it

DoctorP
06-17-2020, 03:45 PM
http://66.media.tumblr.com/f65b74159f399442ed654f94cd5f27bb/tumblr_oz1wdktQUJ1u874xko1_500.gif

BigKobeFan
06-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Blacks should be proud that a black woman is so popular and is a brand.

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Blacks should be proud that a black woman is so popular and is a brand.

I have a theory that it's Whites behind this.

Aunt Jemima has been around for a hundred years and Blacks have never had a problem with this before. Like you said, it's a Black face that is spread around the world. Talk about progress.

Patrick Chewing
06-17-2020, 05:05 PM
https://i.ibb.co/J2zhQJW/A5-AAB4-D0-4684-48-C2-9-DE4-895-FF20-F41-A3.jpg

Hey Yo
06-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Following accusations of racism, the parent company of Cream of Wheat will launch an "immediate review" of the brand, saying they will "take steps to ensure that we and our brands do not inadvertently contribute to systemic racism"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EawwukYWAAAoh10?format=jpg&name=900x900

Patrick Chewing
06-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Following accusations of racism, the parent company of Cream of Wheat will launch an "immediate review" of the brand, saying they will "take steps to ensure that we and our brands do not inadvertently contribute to systemic racism"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EawwukYWAAAoh10?format=jpg&name=900x900

A Black chef is racist! How dare we portray Blacks as simple cooks??

Kblaze8855
06-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Aunt Jemima and the redskins aren’t really the same as some of these other examples. Not that I’ve ever had a problem with aunt jemima. But I don’t have a problem with the little black sambo bugs bunny cartoons or the ones with the black kid who talked like a moron and bugs could distract by giving him dice to throw. I get why others are....but I get the times they came from.

Crazy to me that they have Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd without guns in the new episodes though. Go watch one. Elmer Fudd chases Bugs with a scythe.

hateraid
06-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Aunt Jemima and the redskins aren’t really the same as some of these other examples. Not that I’ve ever had a problem with aunt jemima. But I don’t have a problem with the little black sambo bugs bunny cartoons or the ones with the black kid who talked like a moron and bugs could distract by giving him dice to throw. I get why others are....but I get the times they came from.

Crazy to me that they have Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd without guns in the new episodes though. Go watch one. Elmer Fudd chases Bugs with a scythe.

What is your stance in relation to Black Lives Matter? You rarely speak on it. It be good to have your perspective. As a minority myself being educated on racism by whites i feel is peculiar. I feel I'd have to be black to fully engage my message

diamenz
06-18-2020, 04:20 PM
they banned Apu? oh no, **** that they crossed the line. SOMEBODY IS GOING TO ANSWER FOR THIS.

Kblaze8855
06-18-2020, 04:35 PM
It’s a problem people had trouble understanding till the age of cameras but having been out in the world 20-30 years ago I can see it’s better than it was then. It just gets filmed. If there was footage of what they did in front of my grandmas house early 90s now we would have the Rodney King riots again. Nobody gave a shit at the time. And now?

Its outrage with no concrete solution. You can’t make people with power not occasionally power trip and you can’t get rid of the natural fear that comes with putting your life on the line dealing with the public. And a tall somewhat in shape black guy like me is just gonna be seen as a bigger threat than a little white woman. There is no legislative answer to that. Only punishing people after the victims are dead which does them little good.

You can put a zero tolerance policy for misconduct but as long as cops have to either turn themselves in or have another cop do it that rarely would work. Especially if one infraction gets your buddy fired and you hated.

Cities are dealing with police unions. You can’t fix these things with a single top down law without putting local cops under federal control and adding a massive new level of red tape to everything.

You have to destroy and rebuild law enforcement from the ground up to even address things centrally....it isn’t happening...this is just a cycle we will have to endure for a while. There is no immediate fix and none of the protesters have an answer.

It isn’t the civil rights movement where you can ban discrimination in certain ways or make it illegal to apply arbitrary standards to allow blacks to vote.

You would have to legislate away human nature and dissolve unions and face decades of legal battles.

There is no answer anyone can supply in a short time frame.

hateraid
06-18-2020, 05:01 PM
It’s a problem people had trouble understanding till the age of cameras but having been out in the world 20-30 years ago I can see it’s better than it was then. It just gets filmed. If there was footage of what they did in front of my grandmas house early 90s now we would have the Rodney King riots again. Nobody gave a shit at the time. And now?

Its outrage with no concrete solution. You can’t make people with power not occasionally power trip and you can’t get rid of the natural fear that comes with putting your life on the line dealing with the public. And a tall somewhat in shape black guy like me is just gonna be seen as a bigger threat than a little white woman. There is no legislative answer to that. Only punishing people after the victims are dead which does them little good.

You can put a zero tolerance policy for misconduct but as long as cops have to either turn themselves in or have another cop do it that rarely would work. Especially if one infraction gets your buddy fired and you hated.

Cities are dealing with police unions. You can’t fix these things with a single top down law without putting local cops under federal control and adding a massive new level of red tape to everything.

You have to destroy and rebuild law enforcement from the ground up to even address things centrally....it isn’t happening...this is just a cycle we will have to endure for a while. There is no immediate fix and none of the protesters have an answer.

It isn’t the civil rights movement where you can ban discrimination in certain ways or make it illegal to apply arbitrary standards to allow blacks to vote.

You would have to legislate away human nature and dissolve unions and face decades of legal battles.

There is no answer anyone can supply in a short time frame.

Do you think the current BLM movement aligns with your thinking?

Do you find the message within BLM and white leftists is conducive towards getting what you aspire for done long term?

dreamshake
06-18-2020, 05:02 PM
Let's give these people what they want. Let's go after Nintendo. Mario and Luigi with that Italian stereotypical accent. See how the Japs feel about all this nonsense. They'll probably tell these people to **** off.

Let's go after the film industry for casting White people to play different ethnicities and races.

Let's go all the way until we can convince the entire world how ridiculous this is. There is no point in swimming against this current. It's a strong one. Let the current drown everyone until they realize the huge mistake they've made.

Uhh none of those brands you mentioned have anything to do with African Americans. Keep melting down baby boy :roll:

Patrick Chewing
06-18-2020, 05:03 PM
Uhh none of those brands you mentioned have anything to do with African Americans. Keep melting down baby boy :roll:

The world doesn't revolve around African-Americans.

SATAN
06-18-2020, 05:17 PM
Soon to follow:

Cleveland Indians
Washington Redskins
Red Man Tobacco

They should actually change Aunt Jemima to the face of a White woman just to troll these ****ers. See how fast they'll want the original Aunt Jemima's face back on there.

Madness.

Why do you care so much? You don't actually have a say in how the companies operate nor should you. They could always not give a shit and continue as usual but you don't have to support them either way. They are looking at everything from a dollar stand point. I stopped buying Gilette after that trans stunt.

diamenz
06-18-2020, 05:19 PM
The world doesn't revolve around African-Americans.

right now it does.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZ7qvK8UYAAj9FB?format=jpg&name=900x900

CelticBaller
06-18-2020, 07:42 PM
I haven't met a single person in my life that was offended by Aunt Jemima lol

This sounds like white guilt

Patrick Chewing
06-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Why do you care so much? You don't actually have a say in how the companies operate nor should you. They could always not give a shit and continue as usual but you don't have to support them either way. They are looking at everything from a dollar stand point. I stopped buying Gilette after that trans stunt.

Do you ever ask the people who want to remove these symbols the same question? Why do they care so much?

bladefd
06-18-2020, 08:17 PM

I agree. We have our natural fears as people too. I'm a minority myself so let me explain my own fears.

If I see a huge black guy walking down the street in ripped clothes and pants hanging down, chances are that I will cross the street & avoid looking anywhere near him. Now if he was wearing a suit or dressed well, I wouldn't cross the street. There have been too many instances of mugging, and it more likely than not tends to be a black guy. That's not racist but it's the truth. It automatically puts my caution lights on.

As for cops, they are often scumbags. If you get stopped for traffic violation or something, I rarely have heard a cop talk friendly. They would have a scowl, talk roughly and just be a jackass all around. Even if you try to be friendly, they often just cut you off mid-sentence. You just have to be careful to not say anything that would offend a cop like walking on shells.

There is no simple easy answer. Best you can do is use the chest cameras to judge a cop from interaction to interaction, and make cops accountable. It would have to be an independent agency, but you can't let a cop pile up 16 infractions like the cop who killed Floyd. That's outrageous. As for black people perspective, what can be done is improve the infrastructure in their neighborhoods and improve their conditions to lessen crime. Poverty is a big cause for crime and that needs to improve.

SATAN
06-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Do you ever ask the people who want to remove these symbols the same question? Why do they care so much?

I've never actually talked to anyone with those views, no.

Axe
06-18-2020, 09:55 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT2ov_a7FeQqpopt4BJAZ8M8rEkMVa QTOC2igJH-4ptAZ1oh-Td&usqp=CAU

hateraid
06-18-2020, 10:12 PM
I just had a conversation with some of my black friends and they are not happy about the removal of Aunt Jamima. If they wanted reperation then have the proceeds of all Aunt Jamima products fund black causes. They are actually very proud of the brand.

SATAN
06-19-2020, 05:25 AM
There's no way you have friends at all. Mods, ban pls.

LostCause
06-19-2020, 11:45 AM
I just had a conversation with some of my black friends and they are not happy about the removal of Aunt Jamima. If they wanted reperation then have the proceeds of all Aunt Jamima products fund black causes. They are actually very proud of the brand.

Lol you definitely made that up

Why would random black people be proud of the brand when it’s not even black owned and the character was literally based on a minstrel character and had to undergo many changes because it was blatantly offensive? Every black person I know isn’t surprised by this, they’re just surprised everyone else is just finding out it’s origins

I mean sure, people don’t have to be offended by it, but being proud of it? Lol.

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2020, 11:49 AM

Why would random black people be proud of the brand when it’s not even black owned and the character was literally based on a minstrel character and had to undergo many changes because it was blatantly offensive? Every black person I know isn’t surprised by this, they’re just surprised everyone else is just finding out it’s origins

I mean sure, people don’t have to be offended by it, but being proud of it? Lol.

Did Blacks just arrive to this country last week? They've had over a hundred years to say something about it and push to have it removed. Why now?

Methinks there are plenty of Black folks who don't give a good goddamn about this at all.

Phong
06-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Did Blacks just arrive to this country last week? They've had over a hundred years to say something about it and push to have it removed. Why now?

Methinks there are plenty of Black folks who don't give a good goddamn about this at all.

The number one consumer demographic for Aunt Jemima is low income Blacks. They didnt give a crap about it. Now they'll have Auntie Jackie syrup with a white woman on the bottle.

LostCause
06-19-2020, 11:59 AM

There's plenty of examples of people (black or otherwise) pointing out its racist origins and asking it to be removed prior to now. Never a big national outcry, but as I said most aren't surprised by this

That said I do agree most people don't care. I just find it hilarious to suggest anyone would be "proud" of it

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2020, 12:02 PM
The number one consumer demographic for Aunt Jemima is low income Blacks. They didnt give a crap about it. Now they'll have Auntie Jackie syrup with a white woman on the bottle.

Seriously. Put a White woman's face on there then and see what happens. Hell, put highweight's big head on there and see how they'll come back crying to have that sweet, sweet lady Aunt Jemima back on there.

And this is a message to all you jabronis who are for this: We warned you about this slippery slope years ago, and you laughed it off as being absurd. And here we are. A statue of Washington just got torn down, and we are removing cultural icons from commercial products for the sake of what? Equality? :oldlol:

Proctor
06-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Seriously. Put a White woman's face on there then and see what happens. Hell, put highweight's big head on there and see how they'll come back crying to have that sweet, sweet lady Aunt Jemima back on there.

And this is a message to all you jabronis who are for this: We warned you about this slippery slope years ago, and you laughed it off as being absurd. And here we are. A statue of Washington just got torn down, and we are removing cultural icons from commercial products for the sake of what? Equality? :oldlol:
Can you spare us the fake outrage?

Nobody gave a shit about it being on the shelf and nobody gives a shit about it being off. A few whiny tweets from a fat bored housewife about it won't change that. You and Phong should probably give Twitter a rest and try to get in tune with the real world. The endless yelling at the clouds reeks of basement dweller.

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Can you spare us the fake outrage?

Nobody gave a shit about it being on the shelf and nobody gives a shit about it being off. A few whiny tweets from a fat bored housewife about it won't change that. You and Phong should probably give Twitter a rest and try to get in tune with the real world. The endless yelling at the clouds reeks of basement dweller.

Fake outrage? :oldlol:

Hey, I'm not the one breaking windows and banging a hammer on a statue of someone I don't even know. The outrage is the complete and utter ignorance of a vast majority of people on here, you included. You're part of that brush it off crowd, the "It doesn't affect me" bunch. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

hateraid
06-19-2020, 01:01 PM

Actually I didn't. Hard to believe hey? It's you white libs that are forcing this narrative. Did you happen to ignore the part where I posted they wanted to displace all revenue from the Aunt Jemima brand into Black exclusive programs? No, because it's you whiteys wanting to force the racist narrative

Talking to this same black WOMAN, what pisses her off as well as her circle of all BLACK friends is that all these requests yet who is ACTUALLY polling the black people. Isn't the BLM movement about what THEY want? She's convinced as well as her circle of friends that BLM main agenda is white shaming and not the actual demands of the black people.

hateraid
06-19-2020, 01:08 PM

According to my friend and what our conversation was there was even a sense of pride behind the brand. Which is why in their words they wanted ownership back of the brand. That to them would be the reparation. Not removing it entirely. Makes sense right? Unfortunately white shaming wants it gone completely so they wouldn't understand that request.

Blacks: "Nothing wrong with Aunt Jemima. I love it on my chicken and waffles!"
White Libs while kneeling:' No, you should hate it master! It's clearly racist to have a black face on a food product!"

Proctor
06-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Fake outrage? :oldlol:

Hey, I'm not the one breaking windows and banging a hammer on a statue of someone I don't even know. The outrage is the complete and utter ignorance of a vast majority of people on here, you included. You're part of that brush it off crowd, the "It doesn't affect me" bunch. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
Discussion about Aunt Jemima:

"B-b-b-ut statues!"

You're consumed. Seek help. You've made it abundantly clear you browse Twitter all day and your posts read like it. You're outraged about what you think is cool to be outraged about. I'd love to hear about how your life has been impacted by Aunt Jemima being yanked from the shelves or how your life was impacted by it having been sold in the first place. Bet that would be a great read. You've got as much fake outrage built up as RRR3 and gang.

Start by deleting social media and venturing out to the real world and seeing things with your own two eyes. Places like Twitter are where idiots who don't see the sun congregate and debate about things they never even witness for themselves. News flash: you don't "stand" for anything...you are a parrot of what alternative news feed you've read for the day and you come on ISH to squawk and ruffle the feathers of the other birds on here almost as diseased as you. Congrats.

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Discussion about Aunt Jemima:

"B-b-b-ut statues!"

You're consumed. Seek help. You've made it abundantly clear you browse Twitter all day and your posts read like it. You're outraged about what you think is cool to be outraged about. I'd love to hear about how your life has been impacted by Aunt Jemima being yanked from the shelves or how your life was impacted by it having been sold in the first place. Bet that would be a great read. You've got as much fake outrage built up as RRR3 and gang.

Start by deleting social media and venturing out to the real world and seeing things with your own two eyes. Places like Twitter are where idiots who don't see the sun congregate and debate about things they never even witness for themselves. News flash: you don't "stand" for anything...you are a parrot of what alternative news feed you've read for the day and you come on ISH to squawk and ruffle the feathers of the other birds on here almost as diseased as you. Congrats.

Speaking of ruffled feathers...:oldlol:

Proctor
06-19-2020, 02:10 PM
https://hips.hearstapps.com/digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/22/1464793292-facebook-like-gif.gif

:lol

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2020, 02:13 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/ZP9QaumB9RWuc/source.gif

:lol

LostCause
06-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Actually I didn't. Hard to believe hey? It's you white libs that are forcing this narrative. Did you happen to ignore the part where I posted they wanted to displace all revenue from the Aunt Jemima brand into Black exclusive programs? No, because it's you whiteys wanting to force the racist narrative

Talking to this same black WOMAN, what pisses her off as well as her circle of all BLACK friends is that all these requests yet who is ACTUALLY polling the black people. Isn't the BLM movement about what THEY want? She's convinced as well as her circle of friends that BLM main agenda is white shaming and not the actual demands of the black people.

I'm not white or a lib, so nice try and fail there.

Being proud of something and displacing it's revenue have nothing to do with each other. Displacing it is a cool option, but what's there to be "proud" of? Also, you say in your other post they wanted "ownership back"? You do understand it was NEVER black owned, right? Also what does reparations have to do with a syrup brand?

Again, being indifferent is one thing. As has been said, most people probably don't care either way about the brand (As I don't. Doesn't bother me if it says or if it goes). Claiming people were proud of it though just tells me you made that shit up lol

hateraid
06-19-2020, 02:54 PM
I'm not white or a lib, so nice try and fail there.

Being proud of something and displacing it's revenue have nothing to do with each other. Displacing it is a cool option, but what's there to be "proud" of? Also, you say in your other post they wanted "ownership back"? You do understand it was NEVER black owned, right? Also what does reparations have to do with a syrup brand?

Again, being indifferent is one thing. As has been said, most people probably don't care either way about the brand (As I don't. Doesn't bother me if it says or if it goes). Claiming people were proud of it though just tells me you made that shit up lol

Lol. Look at you all mad. Don't shoot the messenger. That's what was told to me. They believe they took ownership once a black person was the face of the bottle, therefore their reparation is to receive the revenue.
I couldn't make this shit up if I wanted to. You would think that it would make sense, but you libs pushing the race card won't accept this opinion. Funny you claim it doesn't bother you yet you claim this is made up. Lol. Yet you believe the made up narratives made by white BLMers speaking on behalf of the black community. Your thought process is backwards.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2020, 05:23 PM

I must say it struck me as odd. I can’t even imagine hearing that from anyone I know. Black people aren’t proud of aunt jemima. Black people nothing aunt jemima.

LostCause
06-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Lol. Look at you all mad. Don't shoot the messenger. That's what was told to me. They believe they took ownership once a black person was the face of the bottle, therefore their reparation is to receive the revenue.
I couldn't make this shit up if I wanted to. You would think that it would make sense, but you libs pushing the race card won't accept this opinion. Funny you claim it doesn't bother you yet you claim this is made up. Lol. Yet you believe the made up narratives made by white BLMers speaking on behalf of the black community. Your thought process is backwards.

Okay boomer. Go off ranting about Libs, Whites, BLM, Race Cards, Deep state etc. None of this has anything to do with what I said

I just said you clearly made that "black people were proud" of the character shit up. It's not that deep. As for speaking on behalf of the black community, I'm mixed btw but here's a thread from a majority-black forum speaking on it:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/no-more-aunt-jemima.787163/

Dont get your panties in a bunch cuz I said you're lying. No one's attacking you. Settle down lol

I must say it struck me as odd. I can’t even imagine hearing that from anyone I know. Black people aren’t proud of aunt jemima. Black people nothing aunt jemima.

Don't even know what he was going for lying about that. Clown shit. He'll defend it to death though apparently

hateraid
06-19-2020, 10:32 PM

People take pride in odd stereotypes. I have no idea why. One person in that same conversation pointed out Jemima has some beautiful African meaning. The point was they want to take ownership of the brand due to having the imagery.

hateraid
06-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Okay boomer. Go off ranting about Libs, Whites, BLM, Race Cards, Deep state etc. None of this has anything to do with what I said

I just said you clearly made that "black people were proud" of the character shit up. It's not that deep. As for speaking on behalf of the black community, I'm mixed btw but here's a thread from a majority-black forum speaking on it:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/no-more-aunt-jemima.787163/

Dont get your panties in a bunch cuz I said you're lying. No one's attacking you. Settle down lol

Don't even know what he was going for lying about that. Clown shit. He'll defend it to death though apparently

Holy angry. Lol. The conversation continued on Facebook. You want me to screenshot it?

"Nobody is attacking you!" Lol. U mad.

You're too focused on "pride in the brand" that you completely missed the message they want the brand for themselves so they can exploit it to fund black programs. But you're too angry to get that point.