PDA

View Full Version : I think this season isn't going to work out. Expect MANY asterisks.

Clippersfan86
06-19-2020, 01:51 PM
So there are a few COVID related things that are starting to really concern me.

1. This upcoming Tuesday I believe, every player is going to start getting tested in waves regularly. I have a really bad feeling that THIS WEEK we could have dozens of positives, which will lead to immediate 2 week quarantines, greatly harming teams ability to get together and start training/coaching etc. Many of these guys were irresponsible and have been vacationing all over. Imagine a star player is held out of training camp or the regular season's 8 games because of a positive test?

2. The cases in Florida right now are EXPLODING and even GETTING the entire NBA there (that are participating at least) is going to be a nightmare. Like while in transit, these players can easily catch it. Even if they fly to a private airport nearby as recently mentioned as a possibility, they are at risk.

3. Once they all GET to the bubble... all it takes is a few guys who feel trapped to wander out of the bubble and break the rules. They are supposed to be quarantined if they leave the bubble, but imagine if they snuck off, then came back and interacted with a couple teammates prior to the NBA enforcing the quarantine etc?

4. Now biggest of all, can you imagine if Kawhi/Lebron/Giannis/Harden or someone of that magnitude tests positive during the conference finals or finals!? That's a 2 week quarantine which could be an entire series. If you beat those guys in the finals because of this, it's going to have a HUGE asterisk. As it should.

Overall all teams have the same obstacles so the asterisk isn't there YET. Once any of these things happen though and key players start getting quarantined, nobody is going to take this championship seriously. Given that situation, despite my own selfishness of wanting basketball, was it even worth coming back?

tpols
06-19-2020, 01:58 PM
there's zero chance we'll have a season with all this testing.

everybody can be perfectly healthy but the subsequent social fallout & pressure will lead to it being cancelled.

ArbitraryWater
06-19-2020, 02:28 PM
there's zero chance we'll have a season with all this testing.

everybody can be perfectly healthy but the subsequent social fallout & pressure will lead to it being cancelled.

Lol, wanna bet 100 bucks it will happen?

Soundwave
06-19-2020, 02:33 PM
I think the bigger issue is players likely won't adhere 100% to not seeing their families/friends not ever going out ... so basically it's just an issue of luck whether or not a player or two or three end up getting it while the tournament is going on and spreading it.

Clippersfan86
06-19-2020, 02:55 PM
I think the bigger issue is players likely won't adhere 100% to not seeing their families/friends not ever going out ... so basically it's just an issue of luck whether or not a player or two or three end up getting it while the tournament is going on and spreading it.

The whole ring detection thing with 80% accuracy or whatever won't do much either. It may help you detect early, but if it takes a week for symptoms to show and say it reveals them day 3? You've could have already infected a few people. The bigger issue is MULTIPLE players are already vocalizing that they don't want to cooperate with things like this tracking ring etc. So what makes the NBA think they will even listen? Basically I agree with you here.

tpols
06-19-2020, 03:07 PM
Lol, wanna bet 100 bucks it will happen?

what will happen?

i know youre eager, but the clippers will "clip" the laker's nut sack if they meet in the playoff lol.

kawhi is no joke and has gotten a lotta rest.

StrongLurk
06-19-2020, 03:22 PM
OP, anyone with a brain said this back in March. It's clearly an asterisk year, maybe the biggest one of the modern era.

ArbitraryWater
06-19-2020, 05:09 PM
what will happen?

i know youre eager, but the clippers will "clip" the laker's nut sack if they meet in the playoff lol.

kawhi is no joke and has gotten a lotta rest.

The season, of course.

You said it wouldn’t. In fact you said zero chance.

100? 200?

Norcaliblunt
06-19-2020, 05:58 PM
The whole thing is just fcking retarded. Lol. If they want to play so bad just play under the normal circumstances but have no fans.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2020, 06:01 PM
If you tested everyone it might actually reduce fear. I’m sure millions of people have it right now and are living in fear of getting it. You know lots of players are about to test positive and I bet even more will have the antibodies suggesting they already had it.

STATUTORY
06-19-2020, 06:10 PM
even if they do play, the season will likely be decided by which team has the least covid infections and most complete roster at the end

imagine a Clippers vs Lakers series and Kawhi gets infected halfway through the series?

asterisks abound

Axe
06-19-2020, 07:02 PM
Now who's getting the first draft pick this year?

That seems more interesting.

light
06-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Overall all teams have the same obstacles so the asterisk isn't there YET. Once any of these things happen though and key players start getting quarantined, nobody is going to take this championship seriously.

Okay well we'll see if it happens. If not then this is much ado about nothing.

SATAN
06-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Shook

https://fadeawayworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Untitled-design-1-1.png

guy
06-19-2020, 10:40 PM
It’s going to be something wacky like Thunder vs Heat in the finals.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2020, 04:29 PM
So there are a few COVID related things that are starting to really concern me.

1. This upcoming Tuesday I believe, every player is going to start getting tested in waves regularly. I have a really bad feeling that THIS WEEK we could have dozens of positives, which will lead to immediate 2 week quarantines, greatly harming teams ability to get together and start training/coaching etc. Many of these guys were irresponsible and have been vacationing all over. Imagine a star player is held out of training camp or the regular season's 8 games because of a positive test?

2. The cases in Florida right now are EXPLODING and even GETTING the entire NBA there (that are participating at least) is going to be a nightmare. Like while in transit, these players can easily catch it. Even if they fly to a private airport nearby as recently mentioned as a possibility, they are at risk.

3. Once they all GET to the bubble... all it takes is a few guys who feel trapped to wander out of the bubble and break the rules. They are supposed to be quarantined if they leave the bubble, but imagine if they snuck off, then came back and interacted with a couple teammates prior to the NBA enforcing the quarantine etc?

4. Now biggest of all, can you imagine if Kawhi/Lebron/Giannis/Harden or someone of that magnitude tests positive during the conference finals or finals!? That's a 2 week quarantine which could be an entire series. If you beat those guys in the finals because of this, it's going to have a HUGE asterisk. As it should.

Overall all teams have the same obstacles so the asterisk isn't there YET. Once any of these things happen though and key players start getting quarantined, nobody is going to take this championship seriously. Given that situation, despite my own selfishness of wanting basketball, was it even worth coming back?

Woj now reporting that multiple teams already have recent positive tests and the league is bracing for a lot of positive tests this week. Sadly this season may be done boys.

tpols
06-23-2020, 04:32 PM
i kinda hope trump just loses so we can get over this bullshit.

didnt europe start all sports weeks ago?

Marchesk
06-23-2020, 05:32 PM

didnt europe start all sports weeks ago?

Not sure, but Novak was part of a tennis match with a packed stadium in Serbia, and he just tested positive.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2020, 06:13 PM
Not sure, but Novak was part of a tennis match with a packed stadium in Serbia, and he just tested positive.

Jokic in Serbia positive too.

Axe
06-23-2020, 06:55 PM
That wouldn't change shit for the most part, tbh.

HylianNightmare
06-23-2020, 10:04 PM
Who do you think dies first

DoctorP
06-23-2020, 10:19 PM
they are doing it with soccer I guess NBA will just follow that lead

DoctorP
06-23-2020, 10:19 PM
but yeah players getting sick would really suck

StrongLurk
06-24-2020, 09:22 AM
I legit have zero interest in watching any NBA games if they start up again. The season is already screwed up beyond repair. Just cancel this fukin season already, it's so cringe seeing the NBA try to squirm their way into playing games and it's disrespectful to all regular Americans just trying to survive the worst health and economic crisis post world war 2.

Axe
06-24-2020, 06:48 PM
I legit have zero interest in watching any NBA games if they start up again. The season is already screwed up beyond repair. Just cancel this fukin season already, it's so cringe seeing the NBA try to squirm their way into playing games and it's disrespectful to all regular Americans just trying to survive the worst health and economic crisis post world war 2.
Welcome to 2020, brother. :cheers:

Wally450
06-24-2020, 06:48 PM
I’ll take a * on a Celtics championship.