PDA

View Full Version : NBA's top 5 rim defenders this year.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2020, 05:00 PM
The criteria is specific to filter out a lot of anomalies (such as guys who played 5 games, or guys who only defend a couple shots a game at the rim). For example Antetokounmpo is the best rim defender in the NBA for qualified defenders, but he only defends 3.5 of those per game. An incredible related stat? The Bucks basically have the 3 best rim defenders in the NBA all on the same team! Most defensive anchor type bigs are more like in the 5-7 range so that's what I'm going to go with here and exclude guards/wings who rarely have more than 2-3 paint defenses per game.

1. Brook Lopez. 7.6 defensive attempts per game, holding opponents to 44% shooting in the paint.

2. Robin Lopez. 4.4 defensive attempts per game, holding opponents to 44% shooting in the paint.

3. Ivica Zubac. 5.2 defensive attempts per game, holding opponents to 45% shooting in the paint.

4. Rudy Gobert. 9.4 defensive attempts per game, holding opponents to 48% shooting in the paint.

5. Alex Len. 5.3 defensive attempts per game, holding opponents to 49% shooting in the paint.

Pretty interesting stuff. Couple observations.

-The Bucks defense is historically great and the gap between them and the next best defenses this year is pretty damn big. The trio of Giannis/Lopez/Lopez is ASININE in terms of rim defense.

-Zubac is looking like a legit long term defensive anchor who is just 22 and locked up on a cheap contract for 3 years. He definitely needs more minutes.

- Gobert suffers a big disadvantage in efficiency here likely because he defends so many more rim attempts than most guys (Whiteside at #6 for example is in the same boat).

- Where the hell did Alex Len come from to become a really good rim defender???

All data was sorted here.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-lt6/?sort=LT_06_PCT&dir=-1

HBK_Kliq_2
06-24-2020, 08:21 PM
Zubac has good help defense and can turn into a Lopez type on defense. The problem is Zubac gets pulled quickly by Doc. Zubac also looked extremely outmatched when he guarded Anthony Davis or Embiid, I think that's why clippers signed Noah.

Both Lopez brothers always in there with Giannis. Kawhi plays a lot of minutes with Harrell an offensive minded player. So I would say Giannis had far more help defensively.

If Zubac can mold into a Marc Gasol type player, I would rather clippers just let Harrell walk in free agency and give Zubac all his minutes.

tpols
06-24-2020, 08:41 PM
It's crazy how good a shot blocker Brook Lopez could be, yet couldnt grab a board to save his life.

tpols
06-24-2020, 08:43 PM
i also didn't realize the bucks had both lopez brothers.

if you could combine brook and robin into one player you'd have the best center in the league.

One has a rodman motor, and the other unseen before 7 footer shooting talent.

Number34
06-24-2020, 08:54 PM
Pretty nice thread OP. I always Len’s redeeming factor was that he was a decent rim protector. Didn’t know both te Lopez bro’s we’re top notch rim protectors, only thought Brook was.
Also @tpols Brook’s foot injury early in the Nets day’s ruined his rebounding. He kinda regained that when the league started changing, then he went to the Bucks and became Splash Mountain.

Axe
06-24-2020, 09:01 PM
i also didn't realize the bucks had both lopez brothers.

if you could combine brook and robin into one player you'd have the best center in the league.

One has a rodman motor, and the other unseen before 7 footer shooting talent.
It means you haven't watched lately before the suspension

HBK_Kliq_2
06-24-2020, 09:03 PM
It's crazy how good a shot blocker Brook Lopez could be, yet couldnt grab a board to save his life.

Brooke surprised Kawhi in the ECF by blocking him a few times. The key is getting Brooke to guard you out on the wing during a switch, kawhi baptized Brooke on multiple occasions in game 5 ECF when he switched on him. Brooke does a great job on Embiid though, he doesn't let him bully him. As soon as Embiid thinks he can bully you, you're done.

tpols
06-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Pretty nice thread OP. I always Len’s redeeming factor was that he was a decent rim protector. Didn’t know both te Lopez bro’s we’re top notch rim protectors, only thought Brook was.
Also @tpols Brook’s foot injury early in the Nets day’s ruined his rebounding. He kinda regained that when the league started changing, then he went to the Bucks and became Splash Mountain.

I watched a lot of Nets games when Brook Lopez and Devin Harris were their top guns.

They won 12 games.

Brook Lopez was incredible in the flow. He could sink buckets off regular action like it was nothing, and his jumper was super silky and high arcing. ANY time a game came down to the wire however, and the squad tried dumping it into him, his bag of tricks fell apart. He would stumble, if a double came, he would bumble it and turn it over. I'm really glad to see him on the bucks fulfilling his role as 3rd option. He is an amazing one. His spacing and shooting talent are very elite for his size and of course in todays league and with Giannis's playstyle.

He's a perfect fit.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-24-2020, 09:14 PM
I watched a lot of Nets games when Brook Lopez and Devin Harris were their top guns.

They won 12 games.

Brook Lopez was incredible in the flow. He could sink buckets off regular action like it was nothing, and his jumper was super silky and high arcing. ANY time a game came down to the wire however, and the squad tried dumping it into him, his bag of tricks fell apart. He would stumble, if a double came, he would bumble it and turn it over. I'm really glad to see him on the bucks fulfilling his role as 3rd option. He is an amazing one. His spacing and shooting talent are very elite for his size and of course in todays league and with Giannis's playstyle.

He's a perfect fit.

Stumble and bumble hahaha yes Brooke is a dork at the end of the day, just listen to him talk. As a role player though he is extremely valuable.

imdaman99
06-24-2020, 09:51 PM
Rudy been exposed a few times this year. Is he in decline? Tune in.